Obama rejects mass shootings as 'new normal' in America

Lite Beer

Obama rejects mass shootings as 'new normal' in America
NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — President Barack Obama said Friday he refuses to accept the idea that regular mass shooting are "the new normal" in America. He acknowledged, though, that it will take a shift in public opinion before the country acts to tighten access to guns.

Obama said his first comments on the church shootings in South Carolina, in which he said that political realities foreclosed action by Congress, had been misinterpreted by some as showing he was resigned to inaction on the issue of access to guns.

"I'm not resigned," he told the U.S. Conference of Mayors. "I have faith that we will eventually do the right thing. I was simply making the point that we have to move public opinion. We have to feel a sense of urgency."

The president said it that more thoughtful debate is needed from partisans on both sides on the issue — "without demonizing all gun owners who are overwhelmingly law-abiding, but also without suggesting that any debate about this involves a wild-eyed plot to take everybody's guns away."

He held out evolving public opinion on gay marriage and climate change as evidence that attitudes can change.

Obama says he couldn't say that the gun control legislation he pushed unsuccessfully earlier in his tenure would have stopped the Charleston shootings, "but we might still have more Americans with us."

"You all might have had to attend fewer funerals," he told the mayors.

Obama held out actions by mayors from both parties around on the country on issues such as the minimum wage, family leave and broader access to preschool as evidence that changes at the local level can make a difference in areas where Congress has declined to advance his priorities. And he urged the mayors to help advance his trade agenda, which has come up against stiff resistance from some Democrats in Congress.

"Put some pressure on Congress to get this done," he urged.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-20

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He DOES want to take all the guns away and everyone knows it. If he can't be honest, no one is going to listen to him.

And J. Edgar Hoover wanted to dress like a woman. So what? I don't give a flying frack about what elected officials want to do. I care about what they will actually do. So, in the three or four dozen mass shootings that have happened during his tenure, what has he actually done to "take away all the guns"?

post-140919-0-70619900-1434771112_thumb.

So, in the three or four dozen mass shootings that have happened during his tenure, what has he actually done to "take away all the guns"?

That pesky constitution causes him a lot of problems. Don't give up hope though, maybe he will try an illegal Executive Action his last day in office.

He DOES want to take all the guns away and everyone knows it. If he can't be honest, no one is going to listen to him.

There is a massive difference between taking away everyone's guns and imposing realistic restrictions on the purchasing and use of weapons.

But don't let common sense get in the way of good old American fear mongering!!!

There is a massive difference between taking away everyone's guns and imposing realistic restrictions on the purchasing and use of weapons.

Yes there is and the USA already has lots of laws, but the truth is that Obama and many on the left want to get rid of gun rights altogether. They are just not honest enough to admit it.

Yes there is and the USA already has lots of laws, but the truth is that Obama and many on the left want to get rid of gun rights altogether. They are just not honest enough to admit it.

If he had had the political capital to impose a total gun ban chances are he'd do it - and USA would be a better place for it.

This link has been posted in another thread but really sums up the arguments for gun control nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL8JEEt2RxI

Actually no there isn't enough laws. There are no proper background checks. Guns can be purchased easily by many means including gun shows. Laws have secretly been hidden inside other laws that prohibit certain law enforcement agencies from compiling lists and doing proper checks. The NRA and corrupt politicians have made sure of that. Having people walking around the streets with side arms is ridiculous.

They will NEVER take away all guns but certain limitations, far more than what they have now, are clearly needed. You are obviously very paranoid and that is the worst type of person to be carrying a gun.

Sorry, but YOU are evidently very paranoid and perhaps delusional. I have never carried a gun except when I was in the military and I am not all that big on gun rights. That does not mean that I can not see the obvious and it is obvious that Obama is no fan of the 2nd amendment and the right to keep and bear arms.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The paranoia is within the gun control crowd. I am reminded of this story that is alleged to have happened in Georgia,

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several years ago, a Georgia state trooper stopped an elderly lady on the highway for a defective tail light.

He approached her car and started his question routine when she stopped him, saying...

"Officer, before you go on I feel there is something you need to know. I have a .357 magnum in my purse and a Glock in the glove compartment of the car."

After the officer determined she had the proper license for owning and carrying the weapons, he asked her...

"Maam, that's a lot of fire power. What is it you are afraid of?"

"Not a damn thing", was her answer.

So, in the three or four dozen mass shootings that have happened during his tenure, what has he actually done to "take away all the guns"?

That pesky constitution causes him a lot of problems. Don't give up hope though, maybe he will try an illegal Executive Action his last day in office.

Constitutions can be changed.....it is called an ammendment....

If people see that it can't, or people believe that it is infallable, then they are no better than the Koranic nutjobbers in my book.

If people see that it can't, or people believe that it is infallable, then they are no better than the Koranic nutjobbers in my book.

That broad brush you are so fond of using just covered around 100 million or so American gun owners.

A Constitutional amendment will never be passed by the American people. Live with it.

That broad brush you are so fond of using just covered around 100 million or so American gun owners.

A Constitutional amendment will never be passed by the American people. Live with it.

Which is less than a majority.

Still, broad brush strokes are a favourite tool here on TV. Haven't seen you complain about it before.

Still, understand your position, you are still getting over the civil rights act arent you Charles? Voting rights act must have been a real hum dinger for you too...

Which is less than a majority.

Still, broad brush strokes are a favourite tool here on TV. Haven't seen you complain about it before.

Still, understand your position, you are still getting over the civil rights act arent you Charles? Voting rights act must have been a real hum dinger for you too...

What does "which is less than a majority" have to do with anything?

Less than a majority of what? For what purpose?

My Ouija board is on the fritz and my Enigma machine isn't working properly.

Give me a clue to go with your usual sarcasm.

And J. Edgar Hoover wanted to dress like a woman. So what? I don't give a flying frack about what elected officials want to do. I care about what they will actually do. So, in the three or four dozen mass shootings that have happened during his tenure, what has he actually done to "take away all the guns"?

attachicon.gifIMG_8044.JPG

Cute and emotive cartoon, but your analogy is weak. Pintos and Tylenol differ significantly from firearms, in that not a single person opposed their recalls, and every single one was quickly and easily removed from where they could do harm.

What is your viable, realistic plan to take every single gun out of the hands of every single American? If you were the benevolent dictator of America, how would you go about it?

It seems that perhaps some people believe that gun homicide in the US is going out of control. The reverse is true. This may come as a shock to some protesters, but gun issues are getting better over time in the US. "56% of Americans believe gun crime is higher than 20 years ago and only 12% think it is lower."

"Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware."

"Looking back 50 years, the U.S. gun homicide rate began rising in the 1960s, surged in the 1970s, and hit peaks in 1980 and the early 1990s. (The number of homicides peaked in the early 1990s.) The plunge in homicides after that meant that firearm homicide rates in the late 2000s were equal to those not seen since the early 1960s."

As President, Obama is supposed to lead the country. Something he has failed at. It's not the media sensationalized killings he should be talking, and doing, something about. It's the everyday crimes noboby outside their area hears about. So, Mr. Obama, what have you done. I can't think of a workable solution he has proposed. Anybody?

As President, Obama is supposed to lead the country. Something he has failed at. It's not the media sensationalized killings he should be talking, and doing, something about. It's the everyday crimes noboby outside their area hears about.

So, Mr. Obama, what have you done. I can't think of a workable solution he has proposed. Anybody?

If Obama proposed the sun should come up in the morning and go down in the evening the GOP would oppose it.

As President, Obama is supposed to lead the country. Something he has failed at. It's not the media sensationalized killings he should be talking, and doing, something about. It's the everyday crimes noboby outside their area hears about.

So, Mr. Obama, what have you done. I can't think of a workable solution he has proposed. Anybody?

If Obama proposed the sun should come up in the morning and go down in the evening the GOP would oppose it.

Yes, very true. Where does the hatred, because that is what it is IMO, come from? He has encountered this since his first election.

Cute and emotive cartoon, but your analogy is weak. Pintos and Tylenol differ significantly from firearms, in that not a single person opposed their recalls, and every single one was quickly and easily removed from where they could do harm.

The analogy is apt. Like cars and drugs, quite a few people bought guns for some perceived benefit, perhaps protection or self-defense, only to have their 8 year-old child find it and blow himself away. As a publicity stunt, a gun shop opened in NYC selling guns that had been used for, eh... not their intended purpose. The customers were horrified.

What is your viable, realistic plan to take every single gun out of the hands of every single American? If you were the benevolent dictator of America, how would you go about it?

What makes you think I want to do such a thing? And even if I did, I can't hold a position against a f***ed-up status quo unless I have a solution? I guess I ought to just become passive and indifferent about world hunger too, since I don't have a solution in my pocket.

Edited by attrayant

The analogy is apt. Like cars and drugs, quite a few people bought guns for some perceived benefit, perhaps protection or self-defense, only to have their 8 year-old child find it and blow himself away. As a publicity stunt, a gun shop opened in NYC selling guns that had been used for, eh... not their intended purpose. The customers were horrified.

What makes you think I want to do such a thing? And even if I did, I can't hold a position against a f***ed-up status quo unless I have a solution? I guess I ought to just become passive and indifferent about world hunger too, since I don't have a solution in my pocket.

You first comment wanders and makes no connection to mine, nor to yours I was replying to, so I can't further respond.

As for your second comment, to answer your question, what makes me think you'd want to do such a thing? Well, in your original post, which you conveniently did not quote here, you wrote:

So what? I don't give a flying frack about what elected officials want to do. I care about what they will actually do. So, in the three or four dozen mass shootings that have happened during his tenure, what has he actually done to "take away all the guns"?

Seems reasonable to infer you at least implied an approval for Obama to take a way all the guns, if not implicitly stating such a desire.

EDIT: Spell chicken

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Yes, very true. Where does the hatred, because that is what it is IMO, come from? He has encountered this since his first election.

The hatred comes from his actions and the way that he misrepresented himself to get elected. I actually voted for him the first time but have come to loath the man after seeing how be abuses his office.

Since I'm not part of the GOP, that doesn't pertain to me. You can attack me all you want, but try to answer the question. You can be slavish all you can for Obama, but talk about his record.