Detained

The information written on obtaining a Thai driving say you need a certified translation of your licence by your embassy,does it have to be done by them ?

no but how you going to get an IDP from either AA/RAC or British post office by Monday, further I think that info you have got is a bit wobbly anyway

further if they can prove you have been in country 3 months or more, your stuffed any way, one legally can only drive in Thailand on a foreign DL/IDP for a maximum of 90 days after which you require a Thai DL

1. So no helmet - yes

2. Driving wrong way up a street - yes

3 if validity of DL - yes or no dependent on how long you been in country

Deportation no - used as a scare tactic for the THB 1800

But yes Monday is going to cost you

1. say THB 300 no helmet

2. say THB 300 for driving up a one way

3. say THB 500 for no license

so maybe around THB 1100 in fines total

no helmet

driving the wrong direction

no license

no id card or passport

and we are at 1800

not mentioned the drunk driving

Just to point out, you can only be fined for one offence, maximum is 400bht out of your list.

The ticket they issued you at the time, would list which offence they charged you with.

Why not post it here, so we can read it?

No ticket, then it's a scam, and you need to photograph the policemen involved with your smartphone, and make a complaint to the anti-corruption department.

h90 and Southpeel are just writing rubbish, ignore them.

Here is the national list of fines as posted at CM highway police station,

post-233622-0-09464500-1434800672_thumb.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

The information written on obtaining a Thai driving say you need a certified translation of your licence by your embassy,does it have to be done by them ?

no but how you going to get an IDP from either AA/RAC or British post office by Monday, further I think that info you have got is a bit wobbly anyway

further if they can prove you have been in country 3 months or more, your stuffed any way, one legally can only drive in Thailand on a foreign DL/IDP for a maximum of 90 days after which you require a Thai DL

1. So no helmet - yes

2. Driving wrong way up a street - yes

3 if validity of DL - yes or no dependent on how long you been in country

Deportation no - used as a scare tactic for the THB 1800

But yes Monday is going to cost you

1. say THB 300 no helmet

2. say THB 300 for driving up a one way

3. say THB 500 for no license

so maybe around THB 1100 in fines total

no helmet

driving the wrong direction

no license

no id card or passport

and we are at 1800

not mentioned the drunk driving

Just to point out, you can only be fined for one offence, maximum is 400bht out of your list.

The ticket they issued you at the time, would list which offence they charged you with.

Why not post it here, so we can read it?

No ticket, then it's a scam, and you need to photograph the policemen involved with your smartphone, and make a complaint to the anti-corruption department.

h90 and Southpeel are just writing rubbish, ignore them.

Here is the national list of fines as posted at CM highway police station,

Who is this Southpeel person ?rolleyes.gif

Guess we will find out who is talking rubbish Monday then ? thumbsup.gif...if I am wrong, I am wrong, if he only gets fined THB 400 good for him

• Like 1

Under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic Treaty. A UK driving licence is valid in Thailand.

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences.

For Countries whom home licences are not in English or Thai, then an IDP is required as these are multi language.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

A Thai Licence is required after 3 months because most types of Insurance are void after 3 months if your still using a foreign or IDP as a permanent licence in Thailand.

The OP cannot be charged with not possessing a valid Driving Licence, but he could be charged with having no valid Insurance.

Question is does the OPs UK licence cover driving a motorcycle or just a car?

Driving with no helmet is an offence.

Driving the wrong way on the wrong side of the road is an offence.

Drunk in charge of a vehicle is an offence.

I suppose the OP won't really know the charges against him until he attends the Police Station on Monday.

They could use you as an example and throw the book at you.

(Threats of deportation are absurd)

If I was you OP, I'd take every conceivable document they may ask for including Tax, Insurance and Registration Book of the motorcycle and wear long trousers and shirt as a sign of respect.

Shorts, flip flops and an F C U K logo t-shirt won't cut it.

Accept the fine with or without a receipt, then do something about getting a Thai licence, helmet, and don't drink and drive.

Sorry to say, it's idiots like you that show little respect for the laws of the Country your living in that make it harder for those of us who make the effort.

Edited by Faz

Depends on the officer. You can be fined for all offenses.

No it doesn't, no you can't.

They get to pick one offence, their choice, that's how the tickets are designed to be issued, no options for multiple offences on them.

They also have to issue the ticket for the one offence, on the spot, date and time fixed at the place of the offence.

If drunk driving is the offence you are held in custody until appearing in court.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I suppose the OP won't really know the charges against him until he attends the Police Station on Monday.

They could use you as an example and throw the book at you.

(Threats of deportation are absurd)

No,

The charge will be on the ticket they are obliged to issue at the time.

I mean really, why does this sort of OP bring so many nutjobs out of the woodwork?

If you don't know anything about the subject, why even post?

Guess we will find out who is talking rubbish Monday then ? thumbsup.gif...if I am wrong, I am wrong, if he only gets fined THB 400 good for him

There will be no fine, it's an extortion racket, they will get as much as he is silly enough to pay.

I wouldn't even turn up at the police station.

Too many opportunities for them to bully on their home ground.

No ticket, no need to turn up.

Suggest meeting them at the court house with a solicitor, if they object.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

They get to pick one offence, their choice, that's how the tickets are designed to be issued, no options for multiple offences on them.

They also have to issue the ticket for the one offence, on the spot, date and time fixed at the place of the offence.

If drunk driving is the offence you are held in custody until appearing in court.

Sorry but I agree with stevenl on this one.

They can charge for multiple offences. The choice to charge for only the most serious offence is solely at their discretion.

Edited by Faz

Sorry but I agree with stevenl on this one.

They can charge for multiple offences. The choice to charge for only the most serious offence is solely at their discretion.

It's a bit like suggesting the moon is made of cheese.

It don't matter how many nutjobs you can get to agree with you, it's still wrong.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

There will be no fine, it's an extortion racket, they will get as much as he is silly enough to pay.

I wouldn't even turn up at the police station.

Too many opportunities for them to bully on their home ground.

No ticket, no need to turn up.

Suggest meeting them at the court house with a solicitor, if they object.

Well maybe less bravado and playing a keyboard warrior and lets wait and see then thumbsup.gif

You will be fined on Monday for your infractions of the law. No helmet, driving the wrong way and no drivers license if you have been here more than 90 days.

You should certainly take your passport with you on Monday.

I am a little confused, about the 90 day rule... and the drivers license... i heared about the one year rule, residing in Thailand, to obtain a Thai DL and also heared about the rule to have a International DL. (but not mandatory )

1: I can't read where the OP is longer then 90 day's in Thailand.

2: Does that 90 day rule apply's for exiting every 90 day and returning or does the clock starts again each time ?

3: Some country's have a DL that states that if you have a (B) that you also can drive with a small motorbike (less then 400 cc ), these DL's are being targeted, hence any DL which indicates the correct pictogram and category are normally accepted. ( my International DL has only pictograms and stamps for every valid category, but for the rest is in foreign language )

4: up till today, my valid European DL has been always accepted ( even the copy which i carry in my purse )

5: Its confusing to read that not carrying your passport could lead to a fine, as always have been proclaimed that a copy was sufficient but not mandatory, the inconvienience would be being detained untill your identity was verified. Therefore my question : what law is applicable ?

When I retired here two years ago I came with an international license and after three months I applied for a Thai License. I was on an extension of stay and all that I needed was a certificate of residency, a doctor's certificate, a copy of the International License plus the fee for two licenses

Nothing else, no driving test, just the colour and reaction tests and the licenses were issued within an hour. This was in Udon Thani, Since then I have renewed and obtained a five year license, didn't renew the cycle, and all that was needed was a residency certificate, the doctor's certificate and fee, and the same two tests. Again all over, red rover, within an hour.

It appears the BIB are trying for a bit more than tea money but as ubonjoe said, take your passport with you. I do not condone your actions and what is happening has been brought about by yourself and It could be be a costly exercise but hopefully you have learnt by your experiences. Hope all goes well for you. Chok dee.

Edited by Si Thea01
  • Like 2

You will be fined on Monday for your infractions of the law. No helmet, driving the wrong way and no drivers license if you have been here more than 90 days.

I am a little confused, about the 90 day rule... and the drivers license... i heared about the one year rule, residing in Thailand, to obtain a Thai DL and also heared about the rule to have a International DL. (but not mandatory )

2: Does that 90 day rule apply's for exiting every 90 day and returning or does the clock starts again each time ?

3: Some country's have a DL that states that if you have a (cool.png that you also can drive with a small motorbike (less then 400 cc ), these DL's are being targeted, hence any DL which indicates the correct pictogram and category are normally accepted. ( my International DL has only pictograms and stamps for every valid category, but for the rest is in foreign language )

4: up till today, my valid European DL has been always accepted ( even the copy which i carry in my purse )

5: Its confusing to read that not carrying your passport could lead to a fine, as always have been proclaimed that a copy was sufficient but not mandatory, the inconvienience would be being detained untill your identity was verified. Therefore my question : what law is applicable ?

Are you "resident" here ?

An embassy does not do translations.

The procedure is that you have the document itself certified as real by the embassy. next you have it translated by a translation agency and after that you have the certified documents plus the translation certified by the Thai foreign ministry, consular department.

My embassy do translations (of driver licenses).

3: Some country's have a DL that states that if you have a (cool.png that you also can drive with a small motorbike (less then 400 cc ), these DL's are being targeted, hence any DL which indicates the correct pictogram and category are normally accepted. ( my International DL has only pictograms and stamps for every valid category, but for the rest is in foreign language )

No, i leave the country every 90 days

i disagree with "Sorry to say, it's idiots like you that show little respect for the laws of the Country your living in that make it harder for those of us who make the effort."

Its the idiots to blame who suggest to do illegal things: "Accept the fine with or without a receipt,"

Thats what makes other farangs an easy target...

• Like 1

No, i leave the country every 90 days

That wasn't the question...rolleyes.gif

You have a car/motocy/ long term condo/or own a condo/ living with someone in Thailand/married

or lets do it this way do you spend more than 180 days a year in Thailand ?

not that it matters, because the simple fact is any one who is resident in Thailand drives here and hasn't got themselves such a simple document to acquire as a Thai DL is a complete fool

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

You have a car/motocy/ long term condo/or own a condo/ living with someone in Thailand/married

yes, i spent more then 180 days a year in Thailand...

Well do yourself a favour and get a Thai DL, its easy

• Like 2

Then you should have a Thai Driving Licence to legally drive Insured.

• Like 1

In the UK you would have been automatically breathalysed at the roadside.

After "a couple of Chang beers and a little local whiskey" you would have failed, been arrested and breathalysed again at the police station.

You would have failed that one as well and been charged.

You would then have been put into a cell and not allowed to leave until you could pass a breathalyser test.

The penalty would have been one, two or all three of

• 6 months’ imprisonment
  • an unlimited fine
  • a driving ban for at least 1 year (3 years if convicted twice in 10 years).

You were lucky, not only because they didn't charge you with drink driving but mainly because you didn't kill anyone while you were doing so.

Pay your fine and stop whining.

• Like 2

Who believe that he drank just a little ?

Of course he must have been bloody drunk but some people are used to that and are good to hide it...

but the fact remains they never nicked him for it, so one would question the relevance of your comments to the topic ?

• Like 2

If i weather or not, drive with a Thai DL is not to the point... not even for the insurance ( valid drivers license required only )

But where can i read the answers to:

"I am a little confused, about the 90 day rule... and the drivers license... i heared about the one year rule, residing in Thailand, to obtain a Thai DL and also heared about the rule to have a International DL. (but not mandatory )

5: Its confusing to read that not carrying your passport could lead to a fine, as always have been proclaimed that a copy was sufficient but not mandatory, the inconvienience would be being detained untill your identity was verified. Therefore my question : what law is applicable ?"

Now question nr 6:

If the OP uses the expression " had a few beers and a wisky", does that states exactly how much he had been drinking in a certain timeframe prior to his been stopped by the police ?

If i weather or not, drive with a Thai DL is not to the point... not even for the insurance ( valid drivers license required only )

"I am a little confused, about the 90 day rule... and the drivers license... i heared about the one year rule, residing in Thailand, to obtain a Thai DL and also heared about the rule to have a International DL. (but not mandatory )

5: Its confusing to read that not carrying your passport could lead to a fine, as always have been proclaimed that a copy was sufficient but not mandatory, the inconvienience would be being detained untill your identity was verified. Therefore my question : what law is applicable ?"

Now question nr 6:

If the OP uses the expression " had a few beers and a wisky", does that states exactly how much he had been drinking in a certain timeframe prior to his been stopped by the police ?

1. there is no 1 year rule to obtain a Thai DL, and if you use google you will find the 90 rule on multiple websites, even the AA's if if remember correctly and even in the motoring section on TV I believe, the 90 day rule is intended for tourists on short term visits, by your own admission your resident here, then you should have a Thai DL

4. upto today you have been lucky, thats all, have a wreck and injure a Thai national and see what happens

5. the only thing required is a copy of your PP, the OP had nothing, thats why they pulled him in

question 6 is irrelevant as they never nicked him for drinking and driving

@dasboot: my recommendation would be to pay the fine as soon as possible on Monday and move on. You did a number of things wrong, so frankly a small fine of 1500 or 1800 baht is not much at all. I previously had to pay a fine despite not having done anything wrong. Sometimes you better write off a few hundred baht then getting into discussion/trouble with the police.

Now question nr 6:

1. there is no 1 year rule to obtain a Thai DL, and if you use google you will find the 90 rule on multiple websites, even the AA's if if remember correctly and even in the motoring section on TV I believe, the 90 day rule is intended for tourists on short term visits, by your own admission your resident here, then you should have a Thai DL

4. upto today you have been lucky, thats all, have a wreck and injure a Thai national and see what happens

5. the only thing required is a copy of your PP, the OP had nothing, thats why they pulled him in

question 6 is irrelevant as they never nicked him for drinking and driving

I think the answers to these questions require more clarification, the information on different websites is inconclusive, i would like to know the exact , valid , applicable law-ruling... not some hear-say

As far as my knowledge go's, after multiple contacts and questions to the police, as long as your DL is in englisch language, its accepted...

Same go's for the use of Thai DL in foreign country's ( short time travels, some european country's have a 185 days rule for long term (Thailand), or even a 10 year validity for european partners...)

So, with all due respect, correct to the point answers and a link towards the correct rulings would be more then welcome