Detained

You will be fined on Monday for your infractions of the law. No helmet, driving the wrong way and no drivers license if you have been here more than 90 days.

You should certainly take your passport with you on Monday.

• Like 1

An embassy does not do translations.

The procedure is that you have the document itself certified as real by the embassy. next you have it translated by a translation agency and after that you have the certified documents plus the translation certified by the Thai foreign ministry, consular department.

The information written on obtaining a Thai driving say you need a certified translation of your licence by your embassy,does it have to be done by them ?

no but how you going to get an IDP from either AA/RAC or British post office by Monday, further I think that info you have got is a bit wobbly anyway

further if they can prove you have been in country 3 months or more, your stuffed any way, one legally can only drive in Thailand on a foreign DL/IDP for a maximum of 90 days after which you require a Thai DL

1. So no helmet - yes

2. Driving wrong way up a street - yes

3 if validity of DL - yes or no dependent on how long you been in country

Deportation no - used as a scare tactic for the THB 1800

But yes Monday is going to cost you

1. say THB 300 no helmet

2. say THB 300 for driving up a one way

3. say THB 500 for no license

so maybe around THB 1100 in fines total

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the relies,yep I know what to expect on Monday and I guilty of the infrgments,so a leson and truly learnt, I just thought it was a bit harsh to take me to there office,not the police station and hold me for nearly three hours,I have read here of people having fines for not having there passport but there was no mention of this,just the motorcycle infrgments,but the majority of the questioning was concerning the passport,visa and wether I was working or not.

I need to get my Thai driving licence to replace my UK driving licence,I have googled it and got the information from there,what is the first hand experience of the members.

Thanks guys for the relies,yep I know what to expect on Monday and I guilty of the infrgments,so a leson and truly learnt, I just thought it was a bit harsh to take me to there office,not the police station and hold me for nearly three hours,I have read here of people having fines for not having there passport but there was no mention of this,just the motorcycle infrgments,but the majority of the questioning was concerning the passport,visa and wether I was working or not.

I need to get my Thai driving licence to replace my UK driving licence,I have googled it and got the information from there,what is the first hand experience of the members.

There is a possibility if you had your passport with you they would not of taken you in.

Perhaps have a look at this topic on the motor forum. Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

The requirements can vary from one office to another.

,we drank a couple of Chang beers and a little local whiskey

​Sorry to be judgmental but you should not have been on the motorbike in the first place and you should have been charged with whatever the local equivalent of DUI is.
I know many will dismiss this "Just a couple of beers", but the atrocious number of people killed in motorbike accidents here, the majority of which involve alcohol use makes this a much larger issue than many of you want to admit...and I would include the OP in this.
I rode motorcycles and was involved in motorcycle safety education for 40 years. I've known way too many instances of riders terribly injured or killed after "a couple of beers" Things go wrong very quickly and unexpectedly on two wheels and you don't have the protection of a steel cage; your entire life can change in an instant. Practically every hour of every day, people are dying in motorcycle crashes on Thailand's roads...Westerners are no more immune than Thais. The cops should have locked the OP up till the next day.

You are absolutely right,I was questioned concerning drinking and driving,the person that was questioning me was happy that I was not drunk,but I was over the drink driving limit for the UK,so again guilty and a Lesson reinforced about drink driving and not doing it.
  • Like 2

Ubonjoe,you are right i was taken in because I didn't have my passport or a copy,they were going to take me and Prem onto the Police station but the officer in charge changed this to the Monday appointment.

its easy, in my case for the original 1 year one, PP + WP + original DL + IDP + THB 300 (old paper license) I think it was at the time, couple of eye/reaction tests = Thai 1 year, wait 1 year get the 5 year one (CC one THB 505) and repeat

Ubonjoe,you are right i was taken in because I didn't have my passport or a copy,they were going to take me and Prem onto the Police station but the officer in charge changed this to the Monday appointment.

Yes that was reason they detained you not the driving offences, you couldn't prove who you were or what your visa status was

The information written on obtaining a Thai driving say you need a certified translation of your licence by your embassy,does it have to be done by them ?

no but how you going to get an IDP from either AA/RAC or British post office by Monday, further I think that info you have got is a bit wobbly anyway

further if they can prove you have been in country 3 months or more, your stuffed any way, one legally can only drive in Thailand on a foreign DL/IDP for a maximum of 90 days after which you require a Thai DL

1. So no helmet - yes

1. say THB 300 no helmet

I don't think this is correct. As far as I know, you only pay for the worst offence.

When I was in Phuket, there was 3 of us on a bike (offence number 1) with no helmets (offence number 2) and I think no licence (offence number 3).

I think OP would only have to pay for no licence which would be the most expensive offence (400 Baht here in Pattaya).

1. So no helmet - yes

1. say THB 300 no helmet

no helmet

driving the wrong direction

no license

no id card or passport

and we are at 1800

not mentioned the drunk driving

Driving License.Best thing to do is go to where u are going to take the test and they will give u a form telling what u need.You might need a medical certificate which u get from your local doctor or hospital at a cost of say 100 bahts and also a cert from Immigration confirming where u live.If u also have UK car driving License might as well do both at the same time.

No need to get them translated and the driving test will most likely jinclude an eye test proving u can differentiate between red and green and also a brake test.You will also have watch a video for about an hour telling the correct way to drive which is actually very good

Hope this helps and it just depends on what the test centre requires which they will tell u as most speak very good English

People like this OP expect other motorists to watch out for them and take care of them by avoid hitting them but make no effort to take care of themselves by at least putting on their helmet.

Not putting on a crash helmet does not matter as the OP can only harm himself, as for drinking and riding a motorbike, and riding on the wrong side of the road, he deserves

all he gets, and not just a 1.500 Bt fine. That would be getting off far too lightly.

• Like 2

People like this OP expect other motorists to watch out for them and take care of them by avoid hitting them but make no effort to take care of themselves by at least putting on their helmet.

Not putting on a crash helmet does not matter as the OP can only harm himself, as for drinking and riding a motorbike, and riding on the wrong side of the road, he deserves

all he gets, and not just a 1.500 Bt fine. That would be getting off far too lightly.

All the more inexcusable for him to ride on the wrong side of the road in Thailand as he hails from the UK, I would have thought!

• Like 1

1. So no helmet - yes

1. say THB 300 no helmet

I don't think this is correct. As far as I know, you only pay for the worst offence.

When I was in Phuket, there was 3 of us on a bike (offence number 1) with no helmets (offence number 2) and I think no licence (offence number 3).

I think OP would only have to pay for no licence which would be the most expensive offence (400 Baht here in Pattaya).

Depends on the officer. You can be fined for all offenses.

• Like 1

Well it sounds like you made quite a few mistakes which is going to cost you some money.

You should never Drink and Drive in this country.... ever! The only thing missing from your scenario was that you weren't wearing an Orange Jump Suit that glows in the dark. If I was you and found myself in this position I would have taken the back roads, let alone stopping at a 7-11 in a busy town, then driving away with no helmet. That is just begging for trouble My Friend!

It will be difficult for anyone to feel sorry for you here, but there is always a few Thai Police Basher around that may side with you.

Are you a clairvoyant? How do you know what he expects and what he doesn't? If he wants to ride a bike in this crazy land and take his chances it is his decision- not yours.

I have mentioned on other occasions one has to be very careful in Thailand no matter how long you've been in the country you are a guest a farang plus the fact you are still regarded as a source of income a gravy train and there are still some police who are still in the business of extracting money from the farang through any means possible .