Graft buster to summon suspects in fishy futsal court construction to hear charges

Lite Beer

Graft buster to summon suspects in fishy futsal court construction to hear charges

20-6-2558-15-05-45-wpcf_725x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Nation Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) will summon former politicians, senior education officials, and school directors to hear charges next week after its extensive investigation into the construction of futsal courts in several provinces have substantial grounds of corruption.

NACC chairman Parnthep Klanarongran said the investigation of corruption in futsal court construction in several provinces in the North and Northeast has finished with evidences collected substantial to charge several people involved.

They included politicians, senior education officials, and school directors,he said.

They will be summoned to hear charges next Tuesday, he said.

Earlier the NACC had set up a panel to look into alleged corruption in the construction of futsal pitches in three northeastern provinces.

Initial investigation showed that the Office of Basic Education deliberately set aside 227.5 million baht budget for 2012 fiscal year for the construction of futsal pitches in Nakhon Ratchasima, Mukdaharn and Amnart Charoen provinces as demanded by politicians of those provinces.

It was discovered that there appeared to be irregularity in the procurement process as the contractors chosen to build the futsal pitches were connected and the quality of the construction was below standard rendering all the pitches useless.

The investigation held the former secretary-general of Basic Education Office, directors of regional primary and secondary education offices and directors of schools where there are futsal pitches to be responsible.

The Public Sector Anti Corruption Commission (PACC) also held separate investigation and sought cooperation from the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) and the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) to jointly probe into the 600 million baht construction of futsal courts in 17 provinces after on-the-spot inspections found irregularities and alleged corruption.

Preliminary investigation found collusion in the project as two companies entering the bidding belonged to same person and was awarded to construct futsal courts in all the 358 schools in 17 provinces.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/graft-buster-to-summon-suspects-in-fishy-futsal-court-construction-to-hear-charges

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-20

It would be great if the news articles about corruption were more specific.

There is this tendency to just say "corruption", but if people are to understand what is wrongful behavior, a more specific description is required.

In the above article, there is only one corrupt act cited, "collusion".

In order for the officials to be involved in this, one would assume there would also be bribery or kickbacks, yet the article only vaguely implies this.

We should see these terms more often:

Bribery

Kickbacks

Collusion

Bid Law Violation

Conflict of Interest

Fraud

Edited by phoenixdoglover

There is this tendency to just say "corruption", but if people are to understand what is wrongful behavior, a more specific description is required.

In order for the officials to be involved in this, one would assume there would also be bribery or kickbacks, yet the article only vaguely implies this.

Bribery

Kickbacks

Collusion

Bid Law Violation

Conflict of Interest

Fraud

There was probably all of that, and more ! thumbsup.gif

Bribery

Kickbacks

Collusion

Bid Law Violation

Conflict of Interest

Fraud

If you were to read OP's slowly and carefully you may just be able to work some of these things out for yourself.

For instance, the Anti Money laundering office is involved. That would indicate money laundering is part of it.

Then there is :

"Preliminary investigation found collusion in the project as two companies entering the bidding belonged to same person and was awarded to construct futsal courts in all the 358 schools in 17 provinces."

As the word collusion is used.............Well perhaps you can understand that.

This is only the first news report on the investigation, there will likely more detail as more reports are released. They might even reveal the ex MP's involved and their party affiliation.

I wonder, are these some of the same politicians more than half of the respondents of a recent survey allegedly wanted to be "given another chance and be allowed back into politics so they can use their talents for the public good and the country"?

Well, in this particular case they already have clearly shown (once again!) to all of us what their true "talents" really are.

The people have given them more than enough chances over the years. Enough is enough.

Now prosecute them, punish them harshly, ban them from politics for life and let them - just for once in their abominable, corrupt existences - try earning an honest living.

I am so sick that not one single day goes by in this country where we don't have to learn about yet another shameless case of corruption at the highest level. And these are just the high-profile cases we read about. It's the tip of the iceberg.

More fundamental than the details of yet another corrupt scam in Thailand is this:

Why do these people constantly think they have the right to steal from their fellow people on such a regular basis?

I simply don't get it.

It seems to permeate into other areas.

I just had a uni student complain because she didn't get the same grade for the MBA team project assignment as the rest of the team.

Actually the other students in the team complained that she didn't contribute anything whatever to the work to do the project and all signed a document to ask that she get zero marks for the project.

Her complaint :

In regard to the other students -'It's not their business whether I contributed or not'.

In regard to me - 'my name is showing as a team member, you cannot give me a different grade, it's illegal, and in any case I was busy selling insurance and condominiums.

Bottom line - she did not get re-graded.

The same student last year complained to another professor about her grade for one course. She came 2 to 3 hours late for every class and often didn't come back after lunch for the afternoon session. And never submitted 2 assignments.

Her reasoning 'I'm busy so the professor should take this into account when he gives grades'.

The professor concerned said 'but you must understand that the other students came to every lesson on time and contributed to all the class room case studies, and discussions and completed all their assignments and submitted them on time. It would be unfair If I gave you the same grade as the reliable and hard working student'. If you want a good grade, come to class and do the hard work'

Her response - 'Why can't you give me a special grade?'

Bribery

Kickbacks

Collusion

Bid Law Violation

Conflict of Interest

Fraud

If you were to read OP's slowly and carefully you may just be able to work some of these things out for yourself.

For instance, the Anti Money laundering office is involved. That would indicate money laundering is part of it.

Then there is :

"Preliminary investigation found collusion in the project as two companies entering the bidding belonged to same person and was awarded to construct futsal courts in all the 358 schools in 17 provinces."

As the word collusion is used.............Well perhaps you can understand that.

This is only the first news report on the investigation, there will likely more detail as more reports are released. They might even reveal the ex MP's involved and their party affiliation.

If you were to read posts slowly and carefully you may just be able to eliminate most of your condescending prattle.

I mentioned collusion.

Other crimes are only vaguely implied.

Earlier the NACC had set up a panel to look into alleged corruption in the construction of futsal pitches in three northeastern provinces.

I thought these North-easterners were the very people who voted Yingluck/Thaksin into office to 'help' them. It looks like the authorities helped themselves instead.

What is the Vegas Line that all the involved politicians were PTP?

I thought these North-easterners were the very people who voted Yingluck/Thaksin into office to 'help' them. It looks like the authorities helped themselves instead.

The point here is that the corruption was allowed as part of how Pheu-Thai work. People who voted for them have the dream that they too can be part of a scam like this and get rich the easy way.

They will tell themselves that they are just stealing from the 'elite' in Bangkok who can afford it.

Ethics, morals and conscience have no part to play in this game whatsoever.

The point here is that the corruption was allowed as part of how Pheu-Thai work. People who voted for them have the dream that they too can be part of a scam like this and get rich the easy way.

They will tell themselves that they are just stealing from the 'elite' in Bangkok who can afford it.

People who voted for them have the dream that they too can be part of a scam like this and get rich the easy way.

Those people/voters surely didn't get any of the 'get rich the easy way' part of these scams. Do you think they are so stupid to not know they were taken advantage of? Puea Thai Party obviously thinks so.

I think that once the parents (voters), of the kids who should be playing on decent futsal pitches by now, realize (through indictments and court proceedings) that it was the very people they voted for who are the ones who personally profited by cheating their kids out of the paid for opportunity to have quality playground equipment, there will be second thoughts and, maybe, some people won't vote the way they're paid to vote next time. Maybe the voters will 'wise up' to the fact that politicians are crooked.

I know they don' t care who paid for the pitches but they, most certainly, have to be disappointed in how shabbily they have been treated and that their political support is taken for granted.

Edited by rametindallas

More fundamental than the details of yet another corrupt scam in Thailand is this:

Why do these people constantly think they have the right to steal from their fellow people on such a regular basis?

I simply don't get it.

I just had a uni student complain because she didn't get the same grade for the MBA team project assignment as the rest of the team.

Actually the other students in the team complained that she didn't contribute anything whatever to the work to do the project and all signed a document to ask that she get zero marks for the project.

Her complaint :

In regard to the other students -'It's not their business whether I contributed or not'.

In regard to me - 'my name is showing as a team member, you cannot give me a different grade, it's illegal, and in any case I was busy selling insurance and condominiums.

The same student last year complained to another professor about her grade for one course. She came 2 to 3 hours late for every class and often didn't come back after lunch for the afternoon session. And never submitted 2 assignments.

Her reasoning 'I'm busy so the professor should take this into account when he gives grades'.

The professor concerned said 'but you must understand that the other students came to every lesson on time and contributed to all the class room case studies, and discussions and completed all their assignments and submitted them on time. It would be unfair If I gave you the same grade as the reliable and hard working student'. If you want a good grade, come to class and do the hard work'

Although I agree with the premise of your anecdote, I have to ask: For what class was the student 3 hours late for? I have never come across a 4 hour class at university so am just asking out of interest.

I think we can assume that this is normal behavior here when undertaking a project from the public purse. Monies "Saved" on low quality, inadequate materials and poor unsupervised or unregulated workmanship. Obviously this example is being used for propaganda purposes and fair enough. But if you truly think this is a shocking example , better get yourself prepared for the great High speed free for all. These Rail concepts are not designed to assist the public, they are purely to get the tax payers money for the next 20 years , taken , spent and gone in the pockets of the current powers that be. I've seen them in action in 5 Major Rail projects in this part of the world, with Tax payers and desperately needed money to throw around.

If you think this is bad , then you have not seen any Real Corruption in Asia

People who voted for them have the dream that they too can be part of a scam like this and get rich the easy way.

Those people/voters surely didn't get any of the 'get rich the easy way' part of these scams. Do you think they are so stupid to not know they were taken advantage of? Puea Thai Party obviously thinks so.

I think that once the parents (voters), of the kids who should be playing on decent futsal pitches by now, realize (through indictments and court proceedings) that it was the very people they voted for who are the ones who personally profited by cheating their kids out of the paid for opportunity to have quality playground equipment, there will be second thoughts and, maybe, some people won't vote the way they're paid to vote next time. Maybe the voters will 'wise up' to the fact that politicians are crooked.

I know they don' t care who paid for the pitches but they, most certainly, have to be disappointed in how shabbily they have been treated and that their political support is taken for granted.

Oh that's right, there is no corruption in the yellow strongholds. The junta is not going after the reds. Before Thaksin, there was no corruption.

And I seen a duck flying backwards yesterday, upside down it was too.

Edited by moojar

Oh that's right, there is no corruption in the yellow strongholds. The junta is not going after the reds. Before Thaksin, there was no corruption.

The OP is about prosecution of politicians, contractors, and school administrators; not so-called 'yellow' strongholds whatever they may be. To say that others are corrupt does not diminish the corruption of the PTP Thaksin Party.

My point was that PTP screwed their own supporters. Since there is no rebuttal, all you can say is, "But, but, but, Suthep...".

You've been a member of TVF for longer than 8 years and only have 177 posts; one of which you wasted on me. I'm curious about long-dormant accounts becoming active. What's your story?

The duck was flying normally. The problem is with your POV.

I think we can assume that this is normal behavior here when undertaking a project from the public purse. Monies "Saved" on low quality, inadequate materials and poor unsupervised or unregulated workmanship. Obviously this example is being used for propaganda purposes and fair enough. But if you truly think this is a shocking example , better get yourself prepared for the great High speed free for all. These Rail concepts are not designed to assist the public, they are purely to get the tax payers money for the next 20 years , taken , spent and gone in the pockets of the current powers that be. I've seen them in action in 5 Major Rail projects in this part of the world, with Tax payers and desperately needed money to throw around.

Is there really corruption in Asia? gigglem.gif

Perhaps we should remember one of the golden rules of Life: He who has the gold rules. Very unfortunate for the poor and uneducated citizens of the country. sad.png

Bribery

Kickbacks

Collusion

Bid Law Violation

Conflict of Interest

Fraud

How much more specific do you want them to be. Do you need them to spell it out for you? Do you know the definition of corruption or the many synonyms that can be used instead of that particular word. If you did then you would realise that the list, with the exception of collusion and conflict of interest, you have included, is covered within the definition of corruption. And yes, Thailand does have a law similar to that which you mentioned, bid law violation.

Now, with such a large number of people being investigated and noting the involvement of the DSI and AMLO, it would suggest wide spread corruption, and depending on what role those to be charged, played in the scenario, then the charges will vary in many instances.

The reporter has been specific in so far as the matter of collusion, where two companies, owned by the same person, obtained all the contracts in 17 provinces, however under the general heading of corruption, I find no failure in the reporting, as it would appear, that at this time, the reporter has no idea what charges the others have to answer to until they appear at court next Tuesday. So before one goes of half cocked, one should wait until this occurs or should the reporter second guess everything.

The only real solution to even began controlling corruption as recently practiced in thailand is to approach and handle it the way texas and other lawless areas approached the problem of rougue indians./ outlaws etc with a group of rangers/vigilantes and hunt the law breakers down with no quater given.thailand is an example of how low people will sink to enrich themselves at the expense of those who put the most effort into what they are being paid with tax money to do

isolation or death to these type people could be effective if they will turn the dogs loose to flush the guilty ones out and make them pay a pentalty that puts fear into those who see it carried out. they act like they are playing with play money not the livelyhood and future of a nation..

Do you think they are so stupid to not know they were taken advantage of? Hang on give me half a second to answer that, err YES. Really they don't give two shites, awhile back a survey was taken amongst these people on corruption and they overwhelmingly said that corruption is okay if everybody gets a share. In the villages, there is only about one in a hundred parents who care about their kids education, the rest never stop whining about the cost. Should be free education, but by the time all the educators take their share, the parents end up paying something.

As soon as the elections are back on these people will only care about who is going to pay the most for their vote, there is no political loyalty.

After all, TIT

Actually EP, your last line was correct. The pinnacle of corruption would have been if the PTP had of stayed in power long enough to get that ridiculous one trillion baht loan through to be spent on infrastructure. The pigs would have had a field day with that one, and I would have been surprised if there was one million baht left to spend on projects.

And the tax payers would not have been repaying that debt for the next 20 years, it would have taken the next 50 years. Long after the current crop of Shins were dead and buried.

Actually EP, your last line was correct. The pinnacle of corruption would have been if the PTP had of stayed in power long enough to get that ridiculous one trillion baht loan through to be spent on infrastructure. The pigs would have had a field day with that one, and I would have been surprised if there was one million baht left to spend on projects.

And the tax payers would not have been repaying that debt for the next 20 years, it would have taken the next 50 years. Long after the current crop of Shins were dead and buried.

The pinnacle of corruption was reached by a journey started in 1946. Maybe it's not yet the pinnacle.

In other parts of the world, the game revolves around sports stadiums. Out of this, the people get jobs serving beer and hotdogs.

I simply don't get it.

Her complaint :

A special grade.. zero is fairly special!

I simply don't get it.

Her complaint :

Although I agree with the premise of your anecdote, I have to ask: For what class was the student 3 hours late for? I have never come across a 4 hour class at university so am just asking out of interest.

Easy, turn up at 11:55 - 11:59 am for a class which started at 09:00 am.

I currently work at several unis that are serious about attendance and 5 to 10 marks are for attendance (out of possible 100 total for one course) and if the student has not attended 80% of class hours the student can't sit for the final exam.

Most have the requirement to sign in for the morning session and again after lunch for the afternoon session. Some students try the 11:55 - 11:59 sign in hoping they can get recorded as attending the morning session.

Different universities have different systems. One uni where I lecture has an am and pm sign in system and the admin. staff come and remove the sign in sheets at 09:30 am and 1:30 pm.

Students trying to sign in for friends is also a problem and requires too much time for the lecturer to monitor properly, especially if it's a big class.

At some places, especially with older female Thai lecturers, the lecturers lock the door at 09:30 and late comers can't come in.

A bit further, most lecturers have had the experience of giving a D or an F then the students call, sometimes crying, asking for an upgrade if they bring proof that they have given blood 2 times at the Red Cross, extra assignments, help the teacher with 'something', etc., etc.

Extra assignments is a no, because the lecturer has no idea who actually wrote the assignment.

Edited by scorecard