Are there any laptops that rival the Macbook air?

davejonesbkk

I have had a Mac Air for just over a year now. For what it's worth as someone not skilled at computers, I have been very happy with it and with my new iPod. I just love iTunes. There are some great podcasts out there.

Yes, the Mac Air is very light. My older Samsung laptop feels heavy compared to it.

Like a previous post stated, there's a learning curve with the switching from Windows but it wasn't hard even for someone as non-techy me. I do not miss Windows at all.

Plus, I liked the idea of going to an authorized Apple store.

You might want to go to one of the Apple stores and test drive one.

Good luck!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for the Mac. You won't regret it. And if, in the unlikely event you miss Windows, you can install that.

I was about to fly off the handle and make a heated retort (haven't finished my first cup of java yet) then I read your last sentence.

I've had a Mac Mini late 2010 model running XP for years and WISH a similar native Window$ machine was available. The install learning curve wasn't difficult and it now runs with all the niceties of Window$ and the stability of a Mac.

I don't think anything matches it for being an overpriced vanity purchase, no.

Oh I'm going head to head with that comment

Very true, the Mac is overpriced if you compare it to a similar Windows machine. I really have to swallow hard before I coughed up the cash. But, what you get for your money will be the most trouble free piece of hardware you have ever bought.

I'm a nerd, and on some level liked the downloading drivers, editing registries, re-imaging hard drives. But after experiencing the flawlessness of the mac, you get what you pay for.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I still have Windows laptops, Android phones (don't own an iphone), but the Mac Air as a piece of hardware and software may well be overpriced, but it's as solid as anything you are ever going to buy, and probably outlive 2x any windows hardware you buy

The Mac is also the product of exploited workers and a company without ethics and as the Chicog said, "an overpriced vanity purchase".

Yes correct there is a reason why Apple got to the wealthiest Company in the US

Good Advertising

and Away overpriced products

Oh I'm going head to head with that comment

Very true, the Mac is overpriced if you compare it to a similar Windows machine. I really have to swallow hard before I coughed up the cash. But, what you get for your money will be the most trouble free piece of hardware you have ever bought.

I'm a nerd, and on some level liked the downloading drivers, editing registries, re-imaging hard drives. But after experiencing the flawlessness of the mac, you get what you pay for.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I still have Windows laptops, Android phones (don't own an iphone), but the Mac Air as a piece of hardware and software may well be overpriced, but it's as solid as anything you are ever going to buy, and probably outlive 2x any windows hardware you buy

The Mac is also the product of exploited workers and a company without ethics and as the Chicog said, "an overpriced vanity purchase".

Good Advertising

You think Foxconn only assembles Apple products? Think again, Dell, Sony, HP, Nokia, Microsoft, BlackBerry, Acer, Cisco just to name the big ones. So if you're worried about exploited workers better think carefully about your router, TV, phone, PC, chances are Foxconn has manufactured a big percentage of your electronics Edited by GinBoy2

I have seen only one competitor to the Macbook Air and that is -- are you ready? -- the new Macbook. Note: This is NOT the Macbook Pro, which has an optical drive. The Macbook is even slimmer & lighter than the MBA, has a 12" screen, so you really need to look at one in person to see if that smaller display will be a problem. It has Retina display which is not available on MBA, and is more powerful. Comes of course at a cost, a few hundred $$ more than the MBA. FWIW, I've compared the Retina display side by side with with the best Apple non-Retina display & my tired old eyes cannot tell the difference. Others have told me I'm either blind or crazy, both of which are possible. If you also have tired, aging eyes then Retina may not be a big deal. Go online to compare MB, MBP & MBA.

BTW, my MBA is a real superstar. I upgrade the RAM & drive size since I had to install Windows for my work. Then I quit my job & lost my Windows license, so now I just have a very fast MBA that will last a lifetime. I am totally happy with it.

Edited by USNret

Good Advertising

Yeah, millions of devoted users have no idea they are using an inferior product, and never in their life have used a Windows machine so how would they know any better? It's that good Apple advertising that makes us converts for life, despite the clearly inferior experience you say we're having. The richest company in the history of the world is built strictly on smoke & mirrors, not on quality products.

One thing whatever you end up getting

Try and get one that has an SSD for the system Drive as they are much faster and run cooler

Also try and get one that is upgradeable one that you can put more Ram in or change the Hard Drive

Many Laptops are built as a throw away item and are sealed or very difficult to open to replace or upgrade parts

So try and choose one that comes apart

Also remember Salesmen will tell you what you want to hear to sell an item

So do your homework

Check out a few different laptops search online for reviews and read a few of them for each Rig

as online review can also be bias

Good luckclap2.gif

Edited by gazzasore

I've been using Macs for over 20 years and so cannot offer any advice on possible windows alternatives.

I was though looking for a new laptop a couple of months ago and looked very closely at the 13" Air, thought about the featherweight new MacBook, but eventually settled on a 13" Macbook Pro with Retina screen.

Reasoning... it's only half a kilo heavier than the equivalent Air, but a full kg lighter than the one it was to replace. It can be custom configured to have a larger SSD, and carry more RAM (if custom configured when ordered). The processor is faster and battery life is claimed at 12 hours... there are reports of the 2015 refresh running longer than this.

As someone who hates trackpads with a passion, I was surprised when the new ones with force-touch actually proved to be a joy to use.

The featherweight Macbook runs to similar cost to the MBP, but seems like a version 1 idea and too much of a compromise at the moment to be worth considering

So, for me the choice was between the 13" Air, or the 13" MBP with Retina.

Did you want to start a Mac vs PC ?

Its kind of like asking "what car is as good as a Mercedes?"

Maybe the better question is what laptop/notebook computer is best for my needs?

You want to rate the following to get a realistic answer:

MS Windows compatability.

Apple Compatability

Used to surf web

Used of office productivity tools (spread sheets, word processing, presentaions).

Used for Image editing/processing.

Used for Video editing/processing

Used for gaming

Understand the last three are largest processor intensive application in sucessive order.

It is better to understand what your going to use it for, than just trying to compaire hardware.

I'm an electronics engineer and I have to look at these things all the time. I bought a Mac for my dad and a Lenovo for my brother. Its all about how and what its used for.

Just think'n

Once you go Mac, you never go back. Please try one. So many reasons, but just a couple: You know how when you buy a windows machine, it slowly but surely gets slower and slower? This slow degradation never happens with a Mac.

I put my Mac to sleep when I am not using it, pressing the power button for a second or so. When I need it, I press a keyboard key, and it is ready for my password and to do work, in 2-3 seconds. None of this BS of waiting 2-3 minutes for windows to start up. My wife used to go make coffee while her windows machine booted.

There are a couple things different about a Mac. If you need any help, write back.

My Mac is from 2009, see pic below, the one I am using now, the one I have used every day for five years. It still works great.

So those saying they are vanity items, yup. Just like a Mercedes is a maybe vanity item. But if you can afford it, you will find it lasts 2-3 times longer than the cheap idea, and with more happiness along the way.

post-237067-0-09712400-1434941367_thumb.

To be honest I never owned/tried an Apple pc so don't really have an opinion about them.

I am a desk top fan boy big time, my Dell ultra book (Win8) collects dust when I am in Thailand but I bring it out when I go off-shore working.

I just bought a Win phone as I was feed up with Android and it cost below 6k baht and so far I like it but that has not really anything to do with the topic, sorry.

The Samsung Series 9 Collection are sometimes described as Apple killers.

http://www.samsung.com/us/series-9-laptop/

Not cheap either but great build quality. Samsung have pulled out of the Thai notebook market though. So need to buy from elsewhere.

Have had my Samsung 15" from this series for around 4 yrs. Fantastic machine and all I use in Thailand. Solid state everything so its pretty tough. Have replaced the battery only.

I think you will find the move to Mac very difficult. I use a Microsoft Surface Pro3. running on Windows 8.1

Very fast SSD, touch screen, also has touch pen, flicks between a pad with Apps and the full desktop so easily. Batteries for around 8 hours. Detachable backlit keyboard.

Check it out.

Not that I've seen.

I've only had macs for years and tried to get off the Apple train about a year ago. I looked around and the problem is storage. Apple is the only company that has high capacity flash drives. This is why their machines are so light. And partially why they are so expensive as well.

Apple is far from perfect. I've had my share of issues. Their support has really dived over the years, especially since the passing of Mr. Jobs.

But it's still your best bet for a laptop.

The Macbook Air is an amazing machine and I would recommend it. Because of the flash drive the computer starts up in a few seconds.

The reason I will never buy a Mac is that I am afraid that if I buy one, I will become a total bore who drones on and on about how much I like it.....windows users seem to be more balanced people.....maybe because of all the problems errr....challengesbiggrin.png ? I am interested to see more suggestions of viable laptop alternatives as requested by the OP rather than this endless chest thumping by the maccers.

several PC owner have thrown that comment out there over the years,

but never managed to back it up with specs and true comparison.

This site does just that: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-mac-leopard-windows-vista,1985-2.html

and the difference is surprising,

not to mention the fact that every Mac I've owned has lasted me 10+.

When people comment that their purchase of a mac took a turn for the trash after merely a year or two,

it would have to be due to their care,

and if this was the case,

then their PC purchase would of taken the abuse a turn for the bin in half the time.

I'm not a big fan of notebook,

due to having one before,

and in the end I found that I never or rarely took it out of the house to set it up @ a remote location.

So in the end it was a waste of my funds to pay extra for the mobility,

and now that a computer can be easily plugged into any TV via HDMI cable,

it just seems senseless to me, to not buy a desktop,

for much less, and which will provide me with a more pleasant experience.

In the end, with Mac you have reliability,

and the price difference is not really something that people can truly compare to with PC,

especially when you can still run any PC program on a mac,

if you so wish...

Edited by ajarnmarc

I have lots of Apple computers (laptops, iMac, Mac mini, etc), I developed a corporate deployment solution for them and they really are excellent. I run VMware fusions to give me a Windows environment, which works very well. From my (corporate) experience, I can tell you that in the last 2yrs we have deployed around 2000 to directors and senior managers and have only had 3 repairs - one fatal (SSD failure) and 2 needing a full rebuild.

Look at the new 12" Macbook Air with the Retina display, the screen is fantastic and doesn't weigh much more than an iPad.

For Windows - look at the Sony units, we've trialled a few (we are a Lenovo shop primarily) and they got good feedback.

My 12k acer laptop (price includes ssd and me opening it up and voiding warranty within hours of ownership) is close on several counts.

I I bought an Acer in 2008 for 35k, lasted three years. Catch broke, DVD drive went (replaced) mains charger burnt out, graphics finally went and needed new motherboard= scrap. It never left the house! If I ever pay 35k again it will be for a Mac not an overpriced piece of scrap.

I might be getting a new laptop soon, Ive never owned a Mac before and very tempted to get a Macbook air 13' for around 35k baht mainly as its so ridiculously light but also I know they have amazing battery power. Im just curious if there are any Windows alternatives to it? It would need to be around the same weight, price and can match the battery power although in my experience with other Apple devices such as iphones/pads Apple batteries are unrivalled...