Chiang Mai traffic police armed with Chinese phrase sheet

Thaivisa News

Chiang Mai:- With so many Chinese tourists renting motorcycles to ride around the northern capital of Chiang Mai, traffic police in the city have to carry a sheet with Chinese phrases so that they can tell the tourists which traffic offenses they have made, the Manager Online reported.

The Manager said over 100 Chinese motorcyclists were arrested each day for riding against the traffic, or parking their bikes in the no-parking zones or riding without license.

post-87022-0-76661400-1434939836_thumb.j

[Photo credit: Manager Online]

As a result, the Chiang Mai traffic police have to always carry the sheet. When the police stopped Chinese tourists on road, they had to read the relevant phases to them from the sheet.

The sheet has both Chinese language and Thai translations as well as the Chinese pronunciations written in Thai for the police to read.

The phrases include you “don't wear crash helmet”; you “must carry a riding license”; and you “have parked in a no-parking zone”.

The Manager said Chiang Mai traffic police set up a traffic checkpoint at Nawarat bridge in the heart of Chiang Mai and made several arrests Monday morning. The police were seen reading from the sheet to the stopped Chinese motorcyclists.

Pol Lt Rangsang Thienpairoj, deputy traffic inspector of the Chiang Mai Police, said over 100 Chinese tourists were arrested each day mostly for not carrying riding license.

Rangsang said the traffic police had sought cooperation from operators of motorcycle renting shops not to allow those without license to rent the bikes but they ignored police's request.

So now the police can allegedly, accept bribes in Chinese ,

100 a day thats a nice little earner for them ,the Police will be

hoping for a greater increase of Chinese tourists,especially the

ones that are ignorant of Thai laws.

regards Worgeordie

Rangsang said the traffic police had sought cooperation from operators of motorcycle renting shops not to allow those without license to rent the bikes but they ignored police's request.

Simple solution- impound the rental scooters if the rider doesn't have a license. Auction it off if the rider on the contract doesn't have one. Indemnify the renter for the loss of the scooter to make sure the operator suffers the loss for his illegal actions.

Eezy peezy, and quite profitable, I imagine.

Edited by impulse

The Manager said over 100 Chinese motorcyclists were arrested each day for riding against the traffic, or parking their bikes in the no-parking zones or riding without license.

Those Chinese tourists must learn that riding against traffic, parking in no-parking zones and riding without license is reserved for Thais only.

I praise the police for going to this length. Chang Mai has a lot of Chinese tourists, and they should help them. Everyone should be aware of why they are paying a fine. Well done

For the negative ones on this topic, thinking it is just bribe money, let me go to your country and see if I get I ticket for breaking for the law. Bet I do!! Why should it be different here? Get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

motorbike shops ignored the police! I'm soooo shocked!!

cheesy.gif

That line, regarding the rental shops ignoring the police, and the picture of the fat, smiling plod who looks like he had stopped at too many donuts shops, gave me my laugh for the day.

Those Chinese tourists must learn that riding against traffic, parking in no-parking zones and riding without license is reserved for Thais only.

A Thai basher wearing "L" plates ! Go to the back of the queue..........................biggrin.png

Maybe They will leave us alone for a while laugh.png oh that will not happen

Bikes should be seized if rented with out Licence the driving behaviour of Thailand's favourite tourist is shocking to say the least I talk to a few bike shop owners who laugh about them say they not how to ride but give them quick lessons and send them on there way because they need the Businessgiggle.gif

I love it. A country that drives on the right hand side of the road, and the majority of the Kon Jin tourists can't adapt and make the switch to the left side. Hate to pick on the Chinese tourist, but the majority I come across in CM really do drive, well, interestingly. Not that farang tourists don't drive 'interestingly' too. I come across my fair share. Not too hard to tell the difference between and expat motorcyclist living in CM and a tourist visiting CM on many occasion.

I can actually say I never had a problem adapting to left lane driving, well, until I visited the US an ended driving about a mile on the left side of the road until I came to a stop sign and realized what an idiot I was Lol. Thank God I was in the country and nobody was coming the other way. Whew!

Edited by connda

I praise the police for going to this length. Chang Mai has a lot of Chinese tourists, and they should help them. Everyone should be aware of why they are paying a fine. Well done

For the negative ones on this topic, thinking it is just bribe money, let me go to your country and see if I get I ticket for breaking for the law. Bet I do!! Why should it be different here? Get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you go to my country you would not get a car or motorbike without drivers licence.

Start with the rental company's first and the roads will be a lot safer.

Perhaps they may consider giving a similar sheet in English considering that for the past 30 years the majority of tourist here can speak English.

Simply a local marketing ploy to ensure the ever flowing faucet of tourist . For any Thai police officer to even begin to explain a traffic offense is ludicrous as virtually no one in the country has the slightest awareness or concern for traffic laws.

they probably think because they are Chinese they can get away with breaking the rules I also think the motor cycle renters should be charged with failing to ensure these people had bona fide driving licenses .

With the Mainlanders freely roaming the world, I guess it is inevitable that the situtaion has deteriorated to this level. Then again, to be fair, the offences committed by the Mainlanders are really not very different from that by Thais or locals and not just in Chiangmai, but dare I say, throughout Thailand?

And me

I love it. A country that drives on the right hand side of the road, and the majority of the Kon Jin tourists can't adapt and make the switch to the left side. Hate to pick on the Chinese tourist, but the majority I come across in CM really do drive, well, interestingly. Not that farang tourists don't drive 'interestingly' too. I come across my fair share. Not too hard to tell the difference between and expat motorcyclist living in CM and a tourist visiting CM on many occasion.

I can actually say I never had a problem adapting to left lane driving, well, until I visited the US an ended driving about a mile on the left side of the road until I came to a stop sign and realized what an idiot I was Lol. Thank God I was in the country and nobody was coming the other way. Whew!

I disagree. On my Big Bike trip from Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai, I was nearly run off the road many times by 4WDs in the wrong lane and not giving a shit for motor bikes. In every case, they had blue numberplates.

And me

They haven't figured out yet that instead of leaving the bike on the road in front of the red and white striped curbs, you just need to push it up on the sidewalk. Doesn't matter if pedestrians have to walk in the road to get by the motorcycle, the BIB won't give you a ticket. Learned that my first year in the LOS.

I disagree. On my Big Bike trip from Chiang Rai to Chiang Rai, I was nearly run off the road many times by 4WDs in the wrong lane and not giving a shit for motor bikes. In every case, they had blue numberplates.

28-56734f3146.jpg

USAID? UNICF? wink.png

Edited by MESmith

Useful phrases like, Tell your Husband/ boyfriend, to quit crapping in the urinals!

Please do not spit on the sidewalk! Please tell you kid to quit peeing on the wall and go use a bathroom

facility! These phrases might be useful! I still remember the owner of the White temple having

to build special washroom and toilet areas for the Chinese!

Since I have also been to China 4 times, I have to say, Do Not use the toilets at the gas stations

unless you absolutely have to, unless you have no sense of smell!

What is a blue plate for?

Really "do drive well?" Time to change your medication, and fix your optical prescription old son. OR get a coffee at Coffee Garden in Susco Kotchasarn and actually observe them - bloody hell!