Pharmacies and Drug Prices

akentryan

Go to the pharmacies on Rama 4 near Surawongse in Bangkok and you save substantially more than the Fascino pharmacy on Rama 4. There is no competition here in Pattaya.

Thanks for that tip. My meds bill is only about 1000 baht a month but I go to BKK 2-3x a month anyway so I will follow up. And as per my earlier post, I couldn't believe the price difference on Buakhao to Klang of 150 baht. The Buakhao place wouldn't budge on price.

Question: anyone seen B-complex supplements by Blackmores in Bangkok? 60 caps bottle is 470 baht at Faschino's

I find the prices and service at Fascino's to be good. I never buy at Boots or Watsons as these shops have higher prices. As for local individual pharmacys, you can find even better prices if you search around. The problem is having the time to do that search. It can save you some substantial money, but it depends on your willingness to invest the time. I mostly use Fascinos but recently bought a heart medication at BKK Pattaya Hospital. It was cheaper than any place I'd ever been to! Go figure!

Edited by ehs818

I find the prices and service at Fascino's to be good. I never buy at Boots or Watsons as these shops have higher prices. As for local individual pharmacys, you can find even better prices if you search around. The problem is having the time to do that search. It can save you some substantial money, but it depends on your willingness to invest the time. I mostly use Fascinos but recently bought a heart medication at BKK Pattaya Hospital. It was cheaper than any place I'd ever been to! Go figure!

Have to agree the service at Fascino's is good. I think people shop at Watson's or Boots out of old habits. Seems to me, looking at the meds shelf in those shops, they don't have very much. And the staff don't seem terribly helpful. I shopped at an independent pharmacy when I lived near Big C Extra. The youngish Thai-Chinese lady owner was a pharmacist and always very helpful. However, her prices were a bit higher.

Am going to BKK this weekend and will check the prices on my BP meds at the above mentioned shops. Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Central Plaza Rama 9 last week and walked out of the TOPS supermarket in the basement, the busiest floor in the place. Saw a Vitamin Club outlet and the Blackmores supplement products from Australia. I buy Exec Bs, a B-complex item. The regular shelf price was 50 baht cheaper (at 440 bt) than the discounted price at Fascino's in Pattaya. I was asked if I have a membership card. I did not but I forgot to ask what the discount would be. It's got to be at least 10%. So take 44 baht off the shelf price (that's 396 bt), making it almost 100 baht cheaper than in Pattaya! Was shocked that I could save so muc in an expensive Bangkok mall shop.

Goes to prove what others above are saying about meds/supplements being much cheaper in Bangkok and also says how much more Pattaya shops try to get away with. Also, in a small sampling, products I buy regularly at Foodland and Villa in Pattaya are often a bit cheaper in Bangkok in the same supermarkets.

• 3 months later...

A few weeks ago I made the trip to SC Drugs on Rama 4 in Bangkok, thanks to recommendations in this thread. I travel to BKK a lot so it was not a special trip to save money! But I did save a lot, the price difference between Pattaya and Bangkok being, in some cases, shockingly huge.

Bought 4 items at SC. Bought them previously at Faschino near Numchai on east side of Suk and an indy (ripoff) shop on the Darkside.

Costs compared SC/Faschino/Indy. All brands the same throughout.

Item 1 (100 pills): 90/260/400

Item 2 (100 pills): 250/300/400

Item 3 (30 pills): 240/330/350

Item 4 (25 pills): 140/190/xxx

Thanks for the tips folks!

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone wants to buy in Pattaya, I would be interested to know if you get quoted good prices by the pharmacy situated left of the immigration office in Jomtien Soi 5.

I bought stuff there before and I was under the impression that I got it significantly cheaper than elsewhere.

nd regarding fakes...

there are "copy" medicines which are produced without a legal license but which contain the correct active ingredient. I don't call these fakes, "unlicensed generic" is the appropriate term. For example Kamagra is such an "unlicensed generic" as is Allam, which is a generic for Xanax.

unlicensed generics do not try to copy the original's name or packaging.

then there are proper fakes, which do copy the original's name and packaging but which don't contain the real deal. these are the dangerous fakes, not the unlicensed generics which are demonized by the pharma industry.

• 9 months later...

Anyone know if   Fascino  sell  Apple Cider Vinegar tablets ? bit of a pain to get there and find somewhere to park.

The only place I could find them was online at lazada but there out of stock, plus has been for months now

Cider Vinegar.jpg