Pharmacies and Drug Prices

akentryan

Many Fascino shops are franchise operations and prices vary substantially from location to location. I live in Pattaya but buy my meds from Fascino outside Queen Sirikit Hospital in Bangkok. I buy 3-months supply at a time and the last time I checked the cost for all meds was about 15,000 baht in Pattaya vs 10,000 at the one in Bangkok. I am up now to about 16,000 baht every 3 months and expect the cost to be in the 24,000 baht range in Pattaya. You can transact business without actually going there. Phone in your order, they will call you back with a price and give a bank account number, deposit the money in the account and they will mail you the meds. My insurance pays every scrip over 300 baht but I still save a lot by buying in Bangkok. I have to go in today to look for a wheel chair for my father-in-law but will double check the price in Bangkok. Hospitals are totally out of line with regards to med prices. Get the name and buy it outside - can't miss on this one. I do not worry about fakes from Fascino as I am sure there is a central purchasing agency, If you need a Bangkok contact name (the franchise owner), phone number, and address message me.

That's an interesting discovery that Bangkok is cheaper than Pattaya for your drugs. But then I've noticed this for other things too between the two cities. There have been times where I've bought the same items at Foodland in both cities. BKK's supermarket was cheaper.

Just yesterday in Pattaya, I went into a Buakhao pharmacy that I've never been in before to pick up a drug that's 175 to 200 baht. They wanted 350! No thanks. Went to Fascino on Klang and got it for 200. Guess they thought I was a tourist, although as she looked up the price, I told her it was 200 baht. But still insisted on 350.

I have found that S&C Pharmacy in Bangkok on Rama IV near Suriwong is much cheaper than Fascino in Bangkok (which, you are right, is cheaper than Fascino here in Pattaya). I know many people who shop there. I think you will find a savings of about 20%. They will send meds by mail as well.

Hate to change the subject A little.The TV show 60 minutes says some drugs to fight certain types of Cancer are costing

Around $100,000 A year.I believe they did say the same drugs were cheaper in Europe and I believe Parts of Asia.

Couldn't you see paying over 3 million baht A year for medicine?

I have found that S&C Pharmacy in Bangkok on Rama IV near Suriwong is much cheaper than Fascino in Bangkok (which, you are right, is cheaper than Fascino here in Pattaya). I know many people who shop there. I think you will find a savings of about 20%. They will send meds by mail as well.

Fascino is very expensive even in Bangkok. They are at least 20 to 25% more expensive for all medicines than the Chinese wholesale pharmacies. We deal with one opposite Siri Raj hospital in Bangkok. We phone them once every three months and they post the medicine to us

I cannot imagine a Thai drug store developing a web site complete with complicated (correctly spelled!) drug selection list of hundreds of meds with generic and original manufacture choices plus dose sizes and full pay platform with credit card links just for a few sales. Not to mention all duplicated in at least two languages. There would also be some meds they might sell but couldn't list.

Almost worth a ticket to Turkey. Medicines there are 1/4 to 1/3rd of Thailand prices for the same branded products made in Europe.

I suspect they might be subsidised by the government as the same medicines in the UK are priced similar to Thailand.

I cannot imagine a Thai drug store developing a web site complete with complicated (correctly spelled!) drug selection list of hundreds of meds with generic and original manufacture choices plus dose sizes and full pay platform with credit card links just for a few sales. Not to mention all duplicated in at least two languages. There would also be some meds they might sell but couldn't list.

There must be hundreds of online sites to buy drugs in the world...With many

you need a prescription but still....

I specifically said "Thai" drug store. What Thai retailer (Lazada was set up by a German company and DTAC by a Norwegian company) actually has a fully working English web site? None, that I'm aware of. I just can't imagine a Thai drug company getting that job done. Thai Immigration, which ought to have a well structured and informative and accurate web site, is a shambles.

Do these sites, which often seem to be based in Canada but say that they will deliver worldwide, deliver to Thailand? Presumably if they do you will have to pay the Thai customs import duty as well as the online pharmacy price? Has anyone got any experience of doing this?

Do these sites, which often seem to be based in Canada but say that they will deliver worldwide, deliver to Thailand? Presumably if they do you will have to pay the Thai customs import duty as well as the online pharmacy price? Has anyone got any experience of doing this?

I have always had good luck with USPS and EMS.

I don't believe you can legally bring prescription drugs into thailand by mail. You can get away with it, but it's not legal.

With regards to Chinese drug wholesalers, I'd be very worried if the drugs are real. Copies are rampant in China.

I don't believe you can legally bring prescription drugs into thailand by mail. You can get away with it, but it's not legal.

With regards to Chinese drug wholesalers, I'd be very worried if the drugs are real. Copies are rampant in China.

This is a thread from a few years ago where Sheryl in the Medicine forum gives her view.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/540214-importing-prescription-drugs-to-thailand/

I don't know if there's anything more recent than that, or something more definitive in a Thai government document? Anyone?

The idea that you can only bring a 30 day supply with you when you arrive may be the law, I have no idea, but it's pretty impractical from the viewpoint of many people who've retired here but who still go home occasionally and pick up free prescription drugs while they're visiting family and friends. I'm in the UK at the moment and my GP, who has always been happy to write me a 6 month prescription just before I return to Thailand, now tells me that the NHS has issued new guidelines so that he can now only write me a 3 month prescription. He was very apologetic about it, but it's not a problem for me.

I certainly agree that Chinese (and Indian) online pharmacies are best avoided for obvious reasons. There are websites that give you guidance on how to safely select an online pharmacy and one of the rules is not to use one that claims it doesn't require a prescription. That also sounds sensible enough.

If your familiar with a drug you most likely would recognize a drug as a

fake pretty fast...If a drug was new to you fakes would not be so

easy to spot....

Edited by fforest1

I too currently spend significant amounts on Drugs - but I don't really want to drive to Bangkok. Do you have an e-mail address or telephone number for S&C Drugstore? I'd love to order by mail.

Thank you.

So the Battle between Hospitals and Pharmacies rages........Whenever a thai can make an optimum profit it will do so.....There is no care only a peoduct for sale..........Like in the Great Flood of Bangkok a few years ago when a bottle of water was 100b...........

The hospitals will win in the long run.....private pharmacies dont stand a chance.

Fakes are almost impossible to spot. I've seen copies of musical instruments that fool all but the best. Seriously. It's unreal what they are copying now. My friend just told me about bike parts that are being copied. Almost perfect copies. But no where near the quality. Cost is typically a major giveaway.

In the states, my son's medication is by prescription only and $1800 USD per month - cash price. Here, it's OTC and $30 USD a month. I did a little dance of joy the first time I bought them.

I've been buying the meds at Boots pharmacy in Big C on Klang. Is there anywhere in that area that you guys know of that (generally) have cheaper prices than Boots? I haven't shopped around much, mostly because I don't know which pharmacies are trustworthy, but if someone has a recommendation, that would be great. No Chinese pharmacies, though. I'm not willing to risk my son's health just to save a few baht.

"Do you have an e-mail address or telephone number for S&C Drugstore?"

Below is eMail and Phone for S.C. Pharmacy in Bangkok (Mentioned above in post #3)
eMail is best, as not all staff speaks English. Payment can be made via bank transfer. EMS to Pattaya normally takes 1 or 2 days.

eMail: "S C. Drugstore" <[email protected]>
Phone: 022-330-223

"Do you have an e-mail address or telephone number for S&C Drugstore?"

Below is eMail and Phone for S.C. Pharmacy in Bangkok (Mentioned above in post #3)

eMail is best, as not all staff speaks English. Payment can be made via bank transfer. EMS to Pattaya normally takes 1 or 2 days.

eMail: "S C. Drugstore" <[email protected]>

Phone: 022-330-223

Thank you!

In the states, my son's medication is by prescription only and $1800 USD per month - cash price. Here, it's OTC and $30 USD a month.

Such a big difference seems unlikely, especially as Thailand is not even a particularly cheap place to buy most things. Surely there is some other factor at play?

where you buy make a big difference..

one of my types of medication is impossible to find anywhere around the Villages, Diamicon 80 mg [price in Bangkok Pharmacies between 850 - 900 baht per 100 tablets, where I go = 620 baht]

​Just a common medication I take, Metformin 500mg, if I were to go to a local Thai Pharmacy, I can get a discount, 500 tablets cost 400 - 425 baht, place I went for years same tables did go up but last price was 200 baht, [no idea what happened but the Pharmacy was closed just before Christmas and has never re-opened ? Bang Yai ] I know go to another place recommended the price for the same thing, same tub, same name 150 baht. So a big difference between 150 baht and 425 baht for the exact same tablets...

Only problem with the new place is a bit far + takes at least 50mins - 1.5 hrs waiting to be served, have to get someone to drive me as there is No Parking anywhere close.. appear most customers are Dr or Agents for Dr, as when the bags/ boxes of orders are ready names are called out almost always Dr this or that..

one of my types of medication is impossible to find anywhere around the Villages, Diamicon 80 mg [price in Bangkok Pharmacies between 850 - 900 baht per 100 tablets, where I go = 620 baht]

​Just a common medication I take, Metformin 500mg, if I were to go to a local Thai Pharmacy, I can get a discount, 500 tablets cost 400 - 425 baht, place I went for years same tables did go up but last price was 200 baht, [no idea what happened but the Pharmacy was closed just before Christmas and has never re-opened ? Bang Yai ] I know go to another place recommended the price for the same thing, same tub, same name 150 baht. So a big difference between 150 baht and 425 baht for the exact same tablets...

Only problem with the new place is a bit far + takes at least 50mins - 1.5 hrs waiting to be served, have to get someone to drive me as there is No Parking anywhere close.. appear most customers are Dr or Agents for Dr, as when the bags/ boxes of orders are ready names are called out almost always Dr this or that..

Ignis, are you sure you're getting the correct drug? Is there a blood test you can get to prove the drug is working? What I'm saying is, that kind of price differential would scare me. As noted above and I agree, a script drug that's astoundingly cheap versus your earlier suppliers would make me question is authenticity.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Just a common medication I take, Metformin 500mg, if I were to go to a local Thai Pharmacy, I can get a discount, 500 tablets cost 400 - 425 baht, place I went for years same tables did go up but last price was 200 baht, [no idea what happened but the Pharmacy was closed just before Christmas and has never re-opened ? Bang Yai ] I know go to another place recommended the price for the same thing, same tub, same name 150 baht. So a big difference between 150 baht and 425 baht for the exact same tablets...

Ignis, are you sure you're getting the correct drug? Is there a blood test you can get to prove the drug is working? What I'm saying is, that kind of price differential would scare me. As noted above and I agree, a script drug that's astoundingly cheap versus your earlier suppliers would make me question is authenticity.

A tripling of prices is perfectly believable. My own (very common) medication costs 7 times more at the hospital here than it does at Fascino, and other pharmacies here charge double what Fascino does. If other comments in this thread are true then I could possibly save another 20-30% by buying in Bangkok instead of at Fascino here, but given the total cost involved (under 200 Baht per month) the saving would not cover the postage costs.

What I found surprising was paying 30USD here and 1800USD in the USA. That's 60 times more.

Yes there is a Blood test kit, and do use my meter, they are the same, and my blood sugar is still OK 6 months on. anyway they are the same make as used for past 11 + year here

Just a common medication I take, Metformin 500mg, if I were to go to a local Thai Pharmacy, I can get a discount, 500 tablets cost 400 - 425 baht, place I went for years same tables did go up but last price was 200 baht, [no idea what happened but the Pharmacy was closed just before Christmas and has never re-opened ? Bang Yai ] I know go to another place recommended the price for the same thing, same tub, same name 150 baht. So a big difference between 150 baht and 425 baht for the exact same tablets...

A tripling of prices is perfectly believable. My own (very common) medication costs 7 times more at the hospital here than it does at Fascino, and other pharmacies here charge double what Fascino does. If other comments in this thread are true then I could possibly save another 20-30% by buying in Bangkok instead of at Fascino here, but given the total cost involved (under 200 Baht per month) the saving would not cover the postage costs.

What I found surprising was paying 30USD here and 1800USD in the USA. That's 60 times more.

To be fair, with my husband's insurance, I was only paying $50 a month in the US out of pocket. But $1800 was the cash price. Here, I get it for $30 without using our insurance coverage. Drug prices are out of control in the states. The manufacturers and retailers push the price up to the absolute maximum that insurance companies are willing to pay and then they charge even more outrageous prices to the people that don't have insurance. Same thing with a doctor's visit. If you're paying cash, it will be roughly $125 for a normal visit. But the insurance only pays the doctor $30 - $50 for the same visit. Doctors make up their lost insurance profits on their cash customers. It's a truly screwed up system.

• 1 month later...

Update on med prices in Pattaya and Bangkok at Fascino. Just yesterday I went to Fascino on Pattaya Nua. I had with me the invoice for the last purchase from Fascino in Bangkok which totaled 15,159 baht for a 3-month supply of 14 items. I explained that I no longer lived in BKK and would like to buy in Pattaya. A girl took the invoice and wrote their prices next to each item. Their total was 19,150 baht or an increase of just less than 4,000 baht or 23%. When asked about the difference the said the priices on the old invoice (dated May 13, 2015) were only available to other pharmacies. I explained that I am not a pharmacy but a "four times a year buyer" spending over 60,000 baht a year.

Did not seem the least bit interested. I am back to buying from Fascino in Bangkok. Not only do you have to find the best pharmacy but the best branch also.