PEA

Gonsalviz

Is it normal for PEA to collect a survey fee when you need electric connected?

I need a run of about 350 meters, poles and a meter.

Gf asked them to check how much they want to complete this. They told her they would need a 5,000 ++ survey fee. I don't remember having to pay them before but I didn't talk to them at all.

sounds like lost in translation to me i would think 5k for the lot survey fee sounds iffy

Iffy, in what way?

What do you think is lost in translation?

iffy up to you to fathom that one out / translation? misunderstanding as to what was actually the description of the pea

work required

Edited by gerry123

5000 just for a "survey" sounds much.

5000 for the whole job be done (350 m plus poles plus meter) sounds little (maybe I have a wrong idea about that).

So I am clueless.

My thought also. Hence my question. Sounds like they just want some extra money.

It is only 5 km from their office to the site. 1 or 2 people for a survey with government equipment? Nice paycheck for them.

Impossible to do the job for 5000 unless that is all they charge for hook up.

Just tried to understand a table at the PEA wesite and it looks that the 350 m will cost way more than 50000 Baht.

That lets the survey fee sound more plausible.

https://www.pea.co.th/sites/c2/service/Pages/prepare.aspx

Wow!!! in English too. Hope I can get something from this.

Thanks.

Absolutely nothing. Anything youwant to look at in English takes you back to the homepage.

Just tried to understand a table at the PEA wesite and it looks that the 350 m will cost way more than 50000 Baht.

Thanks.

I think that very last entry in the table costing Bt4,500 has the word survey in it.

Thanks.

I think that very last entry in the table costing Bt4,500 has the word survey in it.

I stand corrected by the Thai wife who just came home...it don't include the word survey...it says Bt4,500 to put pole one in the ground (hopefully that includes the cost of the pole also).

Thanks.

I stand corrected by the Thai wife who just came home...it don't include the word survey...it says Bt4,500 to put pole one in the ground (hopefully that includes the cost of the pole also).

Got the gf to translate now since it is useless in English.

I am now guessing at the cost being around 75.000 baht plus a meter.

Thanks for your help.

If the OP is in Buriram, he could visit Ruangsangthai Builders merchants and speak English with the owner Mr. Pichai. Mr. Pichai has a Thai national named Mr. Nop who was educated in the United States, served in the US Navy and is often sent with expats for more proper translations with Thai building teams or Thai Government offices and Thai utility offices. It is a short walk across the street for you and Mr. Nop to get a "straight translation" from the PEA and quotes in writing. Maybe other builders merchants in other provinces also offer that free translation service to help an expat with house building procedures. The Buriram office of the provincial Electricity Authority is located directly across the street from Ruangsangthai. I had the PEA do a couple of site surveys in Buriram Province, both at no charge. I have bought 6 large utility poles, a 50KW transformer and had it installed by a Buriram Electrical Contractor. The PEA only provided the actual 3 phase meter, and did the connection on a paved government road. The private contractor had a lower cost and better warranty than I was offered in writing by the PEA for the same specs. Mr. Pichai has done many translations in person for me as I was building a couple of houses in Buriram Province. My wife is a wonderful person, but her grasp of house construction terms, building materials terms and utility regulations is somewhat limited.

post-20604-0-93951300-1435128613_thumb.j

If the OP is in Buriram, he could visit Ruangsangthai Builders merchants and speak English with the owner Mr. Pichai. Mr. Pichai has a Thai national named Mr. Nop who was educated in the United States, served in the US Navy and is often sent with expats for more proper translations with Thai building teams or Thai Government offices and Thai utility offices. It is a short walk across the street for you and Mr. Nop to get a "straight translation" from the PEA and quotes in writing. Maybe other builders merchants in other provinces also offer that free translation service to help an expat with house building procedures. The Buriram office of the provincial Electricity Authority is located directly across the street from Ruangsangthai. I had the PEA do a couple of site surveys in Buriram Province, both at no charge. I have bought 6 large utility poles, a 50KW transformer and had it installed by a Buriram Electrical Contractor. The PEA only provided the actual 3 phase meter, and did the connection on a paved government road. The private contractor had a lower cost and better warranty than I was offered in writing by the PEA for the same specs. Mr. Pichai has done many translations in person for me as I was building a couple of houses in Buriram Province. My wife is a wonderful person, but her grasp of house construction terms, building materials terms and utility regulations is somewhat limited.

Thanks for your input but This house is in Kalasin. As stated, I never remembered any survey fee previously.

I now know that my gf did not talk to anyone of importance at PEA. We have since called the PEA call center and have a better insight.

At my other house, I knew PEA used a contractor to put in the small line from the main line to the house and I was not impressed at all. Poles leaning every direction, guy wires that were floppy loose or anchored to trees and such. Because of that, I hired another contractor to install it under ground. In this case, I do not want to put the cable underground it is on a road not owned by me but has a right of way. The Thais will dig and cut the cable indiscriminately. I heard of one that actually built a house attached to an electric pole, using it as one of the corner supports for the house.

A good contractor in Kalasin will be in order. A small section of the line will run on my property and I would like it to look presentable. Any chance you might be able to ask about a reliable contractor in the Kalasin area. Maha and Roi Et are probably close enough?

As I said in your other post, you may really want to consider an off grid solar system. Go to www.amornsolar.com, and check out their prices, you may be surprised at how much solar has dropped in the last couple of years.

If I could read Thai it may provide some onfo for me.

I have 2 aircons the run 24/7 plus the normal.

I am familiar with the unreliability of PEA electric and would not be against telling them to F off but I do think that the number of solar panels and batteries required would outweigh the PEA option.

I would need 240 amps per day, minimum (unless I have no Idea). Plus I have a generator that can can do the entire load when power outage occurs.

As I said in your other post, you may really want to consider an off grid solar system. Go to www.amornsolar.com, and check out their prices, you may be surprised at how much solar has dropped in the last couple of years.

I understand 400wats per day from this site but I have my doubts.

There are a number of threads regarding solar.

In a nutshell, if you want to live the power hungry lifestyle that many of us do then an off-grid system will be prohibitively expensive and if you factor in the need for battery replacement on a regular basis may never pay for itself unless you are a long way from mains power.

BUT

Running grid-tie and using the power grid as your storage (so there are no batteries) brings payback down to around 7 years. With a system life of say, 20 years, that's 13 years of free power :)