Landlord refuses to return my Bond.Anyone else had this problem ?

HungDonger

I have a 12 month contract with my landlord on a house I rent. The contract expired a few weeks ago. Prior to the expiry date I notified

the landlord that I would not be renewing the lease but would remain a tenant on a month by month basis. He agreed. I have now found alternative accommodation and notified my landlord of my intention to move at the end of next month.He now states that he will not be returning the 2 month bond I paid because I did nor provide 3 months notice . There is no reference in the written contract to providing 3 months notice (or any notice).Has anyone had similar issues ? Is there any governing body that I can refer this (unlikely I guess) ?

Note- I even proposed that I stay rent-free for the 2 months instead of receiving the bond back . Negative response !!!

They never want to return the bond, you just have to play them at their own game. I had a couple who really tried it on but eventually after many arguments I got it back. There are a few things you could do but not for print.

Been a lot of post on this

Almost every Landlord will never return the bond..

Always come up with some excuse..

My first landlord refused to return 30,000 Bond for having cat hair on the sofa cushions...

I said I will clean them then he said no and wanted to keep the money..

Don't think of it as bond think of it as Key Money for the privileged of using the landlords property.

I usually just stop paying rent in advance to try and use up as much "credit/Bond" as possible before departing.

Usually Land lords will take some time to notice you are in arrears by then its too late and they cannot extort your Bond..

Mention to the land lord your going to report it and he might cough it up for fear he will be investigated for Tax evasion as most likely he is not declaring the rental income?

I would mention it to him see how much he squirms.

I would report him regardless...wai2.gif

YOU can make a complaint to the Police sometime they will help but often they will not unless they see some way of making money out of it.

In an ideal world the bond would be held independently from the landlord; that is what would normally happen in the UK. It would be good if that could happen here but, unless tightly regulated, that would be a great opportunity for an even bigger scam.

I wonder if in the case of a condo the juristic person could act as a mediator? Mine accompanied me on an inpection and actually took some photographs. We will see what happens when we leave.

I would always, as others have suggested, mitigate this by not paying the rent for the last month of occupation.

You know its weird, I always read on here people saying that land lords NEVER return deposits. However for myself having rented 5 properties and many of my friends I know of ZERO cases where the landlord has kept the entire deposit for no good reason.

You know its weird, I always read on here people saying that land lords NEVER return deposits. However for myself having rented 5 properties and many of my friends I know of ZERO cases where the landlord has kept the entire deposit for no good reason.

Agree ... Its the most honest people I ever met - never any cheating or scams here, just dosent happen .... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Every single time.

Just assume that your security deposit to any Thai landlord is going to be kept.

Consider yourself lucky if you get 10 baht back.

We rent a house. I paid over 100K baht for first month rent, last month rent and deposit. Trust me, they will not receive the last month's rent when we move out smile.png

They'll find reasons to not give us our money.

Then you have been very lucky.

Me too, In 12 years and 4 properties later, i have not been given back any deposit from any landlord. 100+36+40+50K = 226,000 baht in total. The last one was to a Jomtien Agent, who refuse to take any responsibility as the contract states that he don't have any responsibility. At the signing of the contract, I hesitated to pay the deposit, but the agent stated that the deposit was safe with him. Later the landlord released the agent from the property and the deposit was handed over to the landlord.

Would it be defamation to publish them on a Rental-scam-website warning others?

Happening to me now... I returned a good condition unit back to my landlord. She mentioned she needs time to check on her bank account to confirm I have transferred the rental every month. I gave her a month to do it. Now she is giving me excuses that the bank is unable to produce the bank statement and all the craps. 3 months have passed and it is frustrating with the same excuse. I even suggested I go to the bank with her or I will take back only 1 month of the security deposit.

I will give the bitch another 2 weeks and I will post her details online especially those online rental websites and forums and hope others will get be careful dealing with her. BTW she works in CRBE.

• 2 weeks later...

Happening to me now... I returned a good condition unit back to my landlord. She mentioned she needs time to check on her bank account to confirm I have transferred the rental every month. I gave her a month to do it. Now she is giving me excuses that the bank is unable to produce the bank statement and all the craps. 3 months have passed and it is frustrating with the same excuse. I even suggested I go to the bank with her or I will take back only 1 month of the security deposit.

I will give the bitch another 2 weeks and I will post her details online especially those online rental websites and forums and hope others will get be careful dealing with her. BTW she works in CRBE.

Please be careful about naming and shaming people in Thailand online. Defamation is both a civil and criminal matter here.

If you are going to say that speaking the truth isn't defamation then you have stopped listening already.

Archived