How much to raise a child?

cheeryble

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"35,000bht in total."

Your kid is 16 and her entire education to this point is 35k baht? I don't think that she goes to a very good school. And will probably suffer for it when she goes for University. Most good private schools start at 20k baht a term + extras. You sent your kids to low class dumps. You are right about your PreK it is that cheap. It is also subpar. The dog hotels in CM are better than that dump.

"Thais get free health care, why are you adding unnecessary fees?"

Sorry but 30 baht health care is below adequate it also doesn't cover everything. Most parents would prefer their children to have the best health care possible. If you like getting up at 4am to go wait in line to see the doctor by 10, then go ahead and promote the free health care. I will be taking my children to the best doctors that I can find and pay whatever it takes to keep my kids healthy.

It is clear that you have very little concern for your children's education, future or health. What shocks me the most is all the anti Thai drivel you spread on your posts and you have children that are Thai. I wonder if your 30 baht health care will pay for their psychotherapy.

I am not talking rubbish I am talking about average costs of bringing up a child in a middle class existence. Yes, you live below middle class and that is your choice to live any way you want. The OP wants valid view points on how much it will cost if he has a child so he can prepare.

The cost of living will only increase. In the past 10 years alone gasoline went from 15 baht a liter to 35+baht, 25 baht meals are now 45 baht at most places all in all the cost of living is 45% higher than 10 years ago. So the OP isn't needing to cover the cost of this year he is needing to cover the cost of 20 years with inflation. So realistically 3 million baht is a fair to low estimate for the cost of one child to have moderate education and start in life.

Think in this way a lower middle class family earning 20k baht a month for 20 years is 4million baht. This same family can only afford lower tier Thai schools. No bilingual education, usually with rougher less sophisticated classmates that will tease the crap out of the biracial child.

As you mentioned your WIFE want a child I not read that you also want a child!

So just to have a child because the wife want a child sound for me better go supermarket and buy her something nice to play with!

There is responsibility for a child from your side and if you want to raise a child i think its too late as you are grandpa for them somehow and your time is very limited already!

And a child cost a lot of time and money and is not a toy to play with and after have enough of playing get rid of it!

Education that is better then the normal education (what is worth nothing as its the worst on the world) needs a lot of effort and money for private school!

So better think about what you do to the child while just follow your wifes wish!!!!!!!!!

"35,000bht in total."

Your kid is 16 and her entire education to this point is 35k baht? I don't think that she goes to a very good school. And will probably suffer for it when she goes for University. Most good private schools start at 20k baht a term + extras. You sent your kids to low class dumps. You are right about your PreK it is that cheap. It is also subpar. The dog hotels in CM are better than that dump.

"Thais get free health care, why are you adding unnecessary fees?"

Sorry but 30 baht health care is below adequate it also doesn't cover everything. Most parents would prefer their children to have the best health care possible. If you like getting up at 4am to go wait in line to see the doctor by 10, then go ahead and promote the free health care. I will be taking my children to the best doctors that I can find and pay whatever it takes to keep my kids healthy.

It is clear that you have very little concern for your children's education, future or health. What shocks me the most is all the anti Thai drivel you spread on your posts and you have children that are Thai. I wonder if your 30 baht health care will pay for their psychotherapy.

I am not talking rubbish I am talking about average costs of bringing up a child in a middle class existence. Yes, you live below middle class and that is your choice to live any way you want. The OP wants valid view points on how much it will cost if he has a child so he can prepare.

The cost of living will only increase. In the past 10 years alone gasoline went from 15 baht a liter to 35+baht, 25 baht meals are now 45 baht at most places all in all the cost of living is 45% higher than 10 years ago. So the OP isn't needing to cover the cost of this year he is needing to cover the cost of 20 years with inflation. So realistically 3 million baht is a fair to low estimate for the cost of one child to have moderate education and start in life.

Think in this way a lower middle class family earning 20k baht a month for 20 years is 4million baht. This same family can only afford lower tier Thai schools. No bilingual education, usually with rougher less sophisticated classmates that will tease the crap out of the biracial child.

Amazingly, your entire post is anti-Thai and you can't see it.

I'm realistic about Thailand and happy enough with the provided services, yet nothing in Thailand is good enough for you or your children.

Makes me wonder why you are still here?

PS

Where I live, meals are still 30bht.

My entire Moo-baan is middle class, family incomes 30-50k/month.

Petrol is cheapen than when I came here (7 years ago), but the flavor has changed.

Can you say 'elitist snob'?

To keep it straight to the opening question, “How much to bring up a child all the way?”

It’s of course a question of what you want to spend and can afford to spend, but keep it down to what may be considered as “fairly normal” and a better school than the public. And to OP’s info, I’m almost 66, and have a 10-year-old “luk khrueng” daughter, to build my experience on.

10 years ago I said, it’s going to cost me (at least) 5 million baht – that’s an average of 250.000 baht a year, calculated linear over 20 years. I don’t think I’m that wrong, after all; and that does not include any expensive International School or the like in boarding school.

Tuition fees will be a major cost in the budget, and disregarding IS, there might be huge differences if school fees and quality at various locations. I’m very happy with the English Program school we found – it seem to be in level with the area's International Schools – the tuition fee and other expenses for uniform, books, eventually school bus etc. are in average 150,000 baht a year from Kindergarten (K1) and up to end of primary level; not yet sure what’s thereafter. So looking at all the other living costs and some extra for this-and-that, the 250.000 baht a year as minimum average is not that way out to count – should fees for IS be included it would rather total 600k to 1 million, or more annually.

Furthermore comes a question of higher school levels, studying or education, traveling costs etc. – so what may have been saved the first few years before Kindergarten or Primary level, easily add up later...

When dad is of age, it may be a good idea to set the funds – or at least some reasonable amount – aside, just in case; being at least a year or two ahead on expenses, makes life more relaxed for the family. It’s of course a question of what one can afford, but when planning, I think it’s fair to think in that terms. Also placing some kind of saving for the child – to be released when the child becomes of age (20) – either as a fixed amount or monthly/annual saving; Fund Book(s) may be a good option; or a plot of land, if a fixed amount.

So summing up, I would say minimum 3 million baht, more likely around 5 to 6 million baht, can be 20 and up...

Wish you all the best with your plan... smile.png

Sorry I miss read you but I do not believe that most Thais that go to a government schools end up as a moron I believe if a child wants to learn they will find away to do that no matter what school they goes to and that all I can do is guide him to that end whether it be in a Government or International school

Excuse me??? Haven't you seen

shop workers pull out a calculator

to do simple addition? Haven't you

experienced their complete and

total disinterest in anything outside

Thailand's borders (except

celebrity news)? Haven't you heard

hundreds of accounts of how

questioning teachers in Thai state

schools is actually discouraged?

Sorry mate, but you need to

completely re-examine your

understanding of just how much

of the blame for the crap that goes

on in this country lies with the

dysfunctional education system.

Yes, there advantages with farang money but Thais have been raised the Thai way for a long time. Give up the prejudice. She wants a baby. Are you saying she is stupid? It sounds a bit condescending to me. Like you know what is right for her and she doesn't. I know you are worried about the child but give the woman some slack.

Yes they have been raised

the Thai way and look at the

results. The wife isn't stupid

for wanting a child but let's

be honest here; it's highly

likely that this is a relationship

based on cash. She may not

even understand that there's

no pension; she may not even

know how much cash there

is in the pot but rest assured

that her desire for a child with

the OP is far more likely to be

based on ensuring the funds

continue to flow when he

pops than it is on love for a

husband in a state of

senescence.

I had my first and only child at aged 64.

She is now almost 5 yrs old.

Absolutely & unequivocally the best thing I ever did (and I've done a few things)

Absolutely no regrets

Of course it's expensive but hey ..................

Every day is a sure-fired bonus

Entirely your decision & up to you (as they say) so maybe go for it !!

A lot of the older guys have kids to try and tell themselves and the world there still young......The rationalize and rationalize....and the kids loose out in the end. I know quite a few proud Papas near 70......Shame on you.........selfish mf's

Absolutely & unequivocally the best thing I ever did (and I've done a few things)

Absolutely no regrets

So YOU are happy. Have you ever thought about how your child will feel when she has to take you to school for a parent meeting or when taking her friends home, and farang grandfather is hanging around?

A child deserves a parent that looks after them when they are growing up, not a parent that they have to look after. By the time she is 15 you will probably be ready for a rest home, but in Thailand of course it is the children's responsibility to take care of their aged parents.

Absolutely no regrets

You're just thinking of how you

feel rather than how the child

will feel should you die. The

pinnacle of selfishness. Even

if you leave money, that's no

substitute for a father is it?

my Thai wife is a much younger, educated and good wife and an excellent mother. We both agree that our daughter will not miss out on such issues you mention

I grew up without a father. I can assure you that just a mother, no matter how good, is not sufficient.

Of course that is anathema to the politically correct, but nevertheless it is true.

think about this ................ my good friend (university educated and CEO of her own companies) very recently passed from cancer aged very early 50's leaving 3 kids at Universities. Such events happen all the time. We will all have our own examples Cant predict much can we?

My mates tell me they have never seen such a happy contented bright young toddler as ours so she's on the right path as far as we are concerned.

I am always totally amazed at why others truly believe that what they think and say has to be the only truth

I think you have to ask yourself ( and other pensioners ... ) that if you were in your home country would you be thinking of having children at 66 years old? ( probably not..) so why because you are in Thailand are you thinking of doing it?????????

Farang Jaidee xwub.png

The OP is 66 and his wife? (40ish +)

It's a general fact that as we grow older, so do the genes.

To be totally unselfish, I'd consult a GP first to find out the potential health risks to a child born to elderly parents, before I even considered my own personal wants or needs.

When asked what I wanted for each of my 4 children, I didn't reply boy or girl, just for a normal healthy child.

The older we get, the higher the risk of health issues for the child as well as the Mother.

My mother was just shy of 40 when she had me. I have mild Aspergers, which I have tried to cover with my fairly high IQ (I don't display it often here, so nyah nyah). Just because not shooting gravel and smoke doesn't mean you've got grade a goo in your gun.

"The biggest study of its kind has found that the children of fathers aged over 45 were at greater risk of autism, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia as well has having lower IQs and poorer academic performance." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/10663832/Children-of-older-fathers-at-risk-of-low-IQ-autism-and-suicide.html

I am 55 years old, I met my wife 7 years ago & she asked if I wanted a child. I already have 3 of my own kids & she has 2. I said no. Why have children at my age when it would not be fair on the child as I would be 70 something when the child turned 20. I am not saying you don't have the right to have children but you do need to consider the well being of the child as you & he/she gets older. Good luck on your decision.

Linzz said

If you've got the wherewithall take your kids back to your country of origin, they will thank you in the end when and if they come back with great English skills and can get excellent jobs. I am and my Thai kids would never want to return to Thai schools which they say are very authoritarian and uncaring. Their view, not mine.

Why should I go back to a country that I left because it was to authuoritarian and uncaring my son is Thai and if he decides when he is older to go to the UK it will be his decision

To be honest I am not sure that many of the schools in the UK are that good any more

Dunno about UK schools, I'm in NZ. It will be interesting to see if your son will want to go to the UK after spending most of his childhood in Thailand. In my experience Thais who emigrate in their adulthood feel uncomfortable in an unfamiliar culture unless they are already highly educated in Thailand or are raised from young in another country.They tend to stick with their own kind and never wish to integrate but only up to the point where it's beneficial in making money.Then the intention is to return with money which is profitable on the exchange rate. The best thing you can do for your kids if it's possible is for them to learn English in an English speaking country and if and when they return they will get great jobs and opportunities.Learning English in Thai schools is not very effective at all because Thai teachers can't speak it even if they can read and write English.

I repeat, my Thai kids although they are very loyal to Thailand and miss it a lot, never want to return to Thai schools and this is not my opinion, this is what they say. I'm not trying to give you a guilt trip if you can't. I only say it's best if you can. Otherwise then it's an international school or down to you to do the teaching but it will be difficult because it's only by full immersion that it really works IMHO.

Cheers.

"If you paid into Soc Sec since it started in the 30's and paid the MAX

Each year, retired at 65, after receiving benefits for 7yrs, 3 month, you

Have already received back more than you paid in all those years"

Sorry kiddo. Get your numbers right. I paid over $60,000 a year into Soc Security for about a decade. I get back less than 3 a month including benefits for the kids under 18. At that rate it takes 20 months more or less to get back what I paid in a year. 10 years, 200 months, about 16 years.

So by the time I'm 81, I should have a decade of taxes back.

Oooops. That also doesn't include inflation. According to official government statistics, the dollar has lost 43% of its value since those years. So I'm only get 57% of my money after 16 years. To adjust for inflation, it would take me 28 years -- until I'm 93 to get back the money I paid in in Soc Security.

Ooooops. That doesn't count double taxation. After paying Soc Security, I have to pay taxes again on the Soc Sec "benefits." Maybe if I live to be 100, I'll get back one decade of Soc Sec taxes.

But, I didn't post to explain economics to youngsters. I posted to explain that having kids at 65 was a blessing to my Munchkin and me. SHE loves life, and loves her "old, fatty daddy". Her favorite bedtime story: How I met Mommy; fell head-over-heels for her; almost lost her because I couldn't read her handwriting to phone or e-mail her; and just before flying out I got a call from her. The rest, as I tell her, is history.

And she loves seeing pictures of her in Mommy's tummy, and I have some beauts -- two of the best pictures of a pregnant woman I've ever seen.

The blessing of a child in one's winter years was extended to my friend who conceived his daughter at 68. Surprise, surprise; she loves life too, and my buddy, now 77, has a reason to live.

And that's the overwhelming response. Those who had the kids at an elderly age acknowledge the pain, fatigue, and annoyance young ragamuffins bring to their lives ... but love every second of it, and wouldn't change it for anything.

Best wishes from ...

Just having fun (in Bangkok)

Dear Khun Linzz:

Apologies for not replying privately to your good private message, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I also have 15 and 16 year old sons living with me, and they're readers too. They weren't when they lived with mommy, because she was NOT a reader. But to come here, I insisted they do two hours of math and two hours of reading a day. And they do it. Now reading is a chore to neither one. They're now fanatics like my little girl. I often have to drag them away from books late at night to go to bed. The math they do on the computer (IXL is a wonderful program).

The older one is a linguist -- he's fluent in Tagalog and English. He's learning Thai at school and teaching himself Russian on the computer. The younger one is an amazing dancer -- something that I just discovered. I have to get him into some dance classes.

But all three of my winter children are joys. And all three are so happy to be here with me. The two boyz had major blow-up with their mommy to come here (different mommy than the little girl's). I just kept out of it, and let them make their own decision. The little girl is shared peacefully and lovingly by mommy and daddy, about 50-50.

Kind regards,

Just having fun (in Bangkok)

In my humble opinion if you have to ask such a question it is obvious you cannot afford it and without being cruel at 66 what the hell do you want to be putting up with a screaming kid . Enjoy Life because at yours and my age every day is a bonus !

Not obvious to me, if he was told 10M baht, he might think, 'oh, is that all' 'i can afford it'

Justhavingfun has NO IDEA WHAT HE PAID INTO Soc Sec. In 2015

Impossible to pay more than $8,000 paid by employee, they stop taking

Out the 7.5% you contiibute at $110,000.

In the 30's,40,50's the MAX you could have paid into the program was

6% of $10,000 or $600 per year.. That is for the Dr, lawyer that earned

Above $10,000 per year...Yoy probably were earning half of this and

Never paid in more than $300 per year, if that.

Average single benefits exceed $1200per month. Do the math. It's about

A 3rd grade math calculation.... You have already received lots more

Than you ever paid in....no one, not even Bill Gates has ever paid

More than $8,000 per year in S S, Check it out with the SS administration .

Archived