How much to raise a child?

cheeryble

It's called "Life insurance".

$100,000 USD term insurance for 25 years is approximately $5USD per month.

$100K =3,374,450 Baht

You die, your wife is multimillionaire.

The naysayers are bad at math. $5 USD is less than 5 drinks PER MONTH at a bar.

The average Farang idiot on TVF drinks that everyday, 555

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't listen to the patronising wind-up posts, about being too old to have kids, but do make your decision on what you think is best for you.

The best thing I ever did was become a father for the first time at 54.

Good luck!

If you have to ask at the tender age of 66 how much it costs to raise a child ,better to have your stuff snipped and enjoy life because he probably cant afford it.

Don't listen to the patronising wind-up posts, about being too old to have kids, but do make your decision on what you think is best for you.

Good luck

It's not about the father's

ego/pride/virility, though,

is it? 54 is totally different

from 66, isn't it? Seriously?

Becoming a father for the

first time at 54 being the

best thing you've ever

done? LOL

Good luck

best thing you've ever

done? LOL

Thanks! It's something I had almost given up on, so yes I was being serious.

Like I said they will rationalize and rationalize......they can cite examples after examples.......Its just Great for a kid to have a Grandpa as a Dad......so Great......If Im not there my Money Is........Sleep well. Your Wrong.......

Stunning! You actually sound

proud of yourself. Putting your

son through the Thai system is

tantamount to giving tacit

approval for him to emerge a

complete moron.

Great achievement, Dad, and

all you had to do was cough

up for a uniform. clap2.gif

What kind of father measures

his kid's upbringing today

against the lowest common

denominator 50-60 years

ago? Answers on a postcard

and mind your language,

please

I had him in an international school but all they seem to do is work on his English his Thai was not good so I decided for HIS good to send him to a school that would teach him Thai, what school I will send him to later in his life I will decide which is best for HIM at the time

Why do people think that a westerner must send there children to an international school they are not all good

Complete nonsense. Why isn't he learning from his mother, from those around him etc..extra lessons.Been there done that before you even knew Thailand existed...you couldn't be more wrong if you tried..

later is too late..

Good luck

best thing you've ever

done? LOL

Unfortunately it isn't about you..there is someone else involved. However you sound like a good father, so best of luck, but you are gambling..

I think you have to ask yourself ( and other pensioners ... ) that if you were in your home country would you be thinking of having children at 66 years old? ( probably not..) so why because you are in Thailand are you thinking of doing it?????????

Farang Jaidee xwub.png

the truth is canarysun that 'back home' as you put it the only ladies that would be interested in me (irrespective of my available funds) would be those well past child bearing age and/or inclination. That's the way of this world. I stated this beautiful creature was my first child. I had thought about this for many many years and by meeting the right person (I've been here for nearly 15 years) finally fulfilled my long-held dream. That's the way of this world.

We pensioners as you seem to so disparagingly but correctly refer to me and others of my vintage were and are able to spend all the long days with their kids.

How much time did you spend with yours ? Climbing the career ladder; leaving home before they woke up; getting home after they were in bed; knackered at weekends; struggling and arguing over finances; no time to swim every day after school; no time to help with homework.

Incidentally she adores me as much as her mum - how bad is that, .

I think it is YOU and not I that has to ask & question yourself

My daughter at nearly 5 already speaks IMHO beautiful English (maybe better than her mum's who only started to learn English later in her life and still sometimes struggles with plurals, tenses etc. AND certainly better than many posters on TVF) and good Thai. Oh and learning Mandarin also

Poor little soul indeed.

I think you have to ask yourself ( and other pensioners ... ) that if you were in your home country would you be thinking of having children at 66 years old? ( probably not..) so why because you are in Thailand are you thinking of doing it?????????

Farang Jaidee xwub.png

the truth is canarysun that 'back home' as you put it the only ladies that would be interested in me (irrespective of my available funds) would be those well past child bearing age and/or inclination. That's the way of this world. I stated this beautiful creature was my first child. I had thought about this for many many years and by meeting the right person (I've been here for nearly 15 years) finally fulfilled my long-held dream. That's the way of this world.

We pensioners as you seem to so disparagingly but correctly refer to me and others of my vintage were and are able to spend all the long days with their kids.

How much time did you spend with yours ? Climbing the career ladder; leaving home before they woke up; getting home after they were in bed; knackered at weekends; struggling and arguing over finances; no time to swim every day after school; no time to help with homework.

Incidentally she adores me as much as her mum - how bad is that, .

I think it is YOU and not I that has to ask & question yourself

My daughter at nearly 5 already speaks IMHO beautiful English (maybe better than her mum's who only started to learn English later in her life and still sometimes struggles with plurals, tenses etc. AND certainly better than many posters on TVF) and good Thai. Oh and learning Mandarin also

Poor little soul indeed.

The truth is prk888 that Cradle Snatching is frowned upon in your home Country.

You can get away with it in Thailand, but it aint because your a 'hansum' man.

It's respective of your available funds.

I am sure you are quite right Mr Faz (well you must be right as you state "the truth is ") but how do YOU define cradle snatching ?

Do you have specific ages in mind or age differences for example ?

How old is my wife do you suppose? Ahhh, so is that cradle snatching ?

Charles and Diana say? Michael Douglas and Catherine? Charlie Chapiln and various ? Bernie Ecclestone ?

So, frowned upon by whom and also useful to know in which countries please just so your assertion can be examined?

I am sure you are quite right Mr Faz (well you must be right as you state "the truth is ") but how do YOU define cradle snatching ?

Charles and Diana say? Michael Douglas and Catherine? Charlie Chapiln and various ? Bernie Ecclestone ?

So, frowned upon by whom and also useful to know in which countries please just so your assertion can be examined?

Nope the question is how is it

that those guys were able to

get young women while

remaining firmly anchored in

the West but you had to come

to Thailand to find a woman of

breeding age?

Obviously we all give our kids the best we can afford. Should go without saying.

That aside, it astonishes me that so many posts are based on the assumption that the average Thai life is not worth living. That even the remotest chance of it should be considered too great a risk to impose on an unborn child.

Good luck

best thing you've ever

done? LOL

I can understand you, Brewsterbudgen, I was 56 first time...
I don’t understand why quite a number of posters think it is so bad with an elder father – who may have much better time for a kid than a young one, who is busy with career and making money; and an older dad may also have better excess of funds for schooling and education, which can be an important factor when living in Thailand.
And yes, OP is a decade older, but we have heard about fathers up in their 70’ies; I recall a fellow countryman in a TV-program about migrating to Thailand, he was 72, the mom was hardly 20, but it seemed to be very successful; however I don’t know a later ending to the story. It’s merely talking about the mum that not shall be too old having her first baby. And isn’t it better to be a wished for child with an older father, than a burden child with young parents, who may not have time and surplus to raise a family...?
I talk little from experience, as my own father was 50 years older than me – and very active all his life – I was his first and only child, and I was privileged to have my father for more than 54 years; not all are that lucky, even with a young dad.
Yes, 54 and 56, or 66 is more than 50, and with an expected little shorter life-span, but it’s not impossible one can stay active and clear in mind for quite some years; perhaps even another 30 or 40 years, without being a burden.
Of course there is a lot to take into consideration, when planning a family, perhaps especially when dad is more mature; however, I never heard any comments about having “an old dad” – as some posters have mentioned – even that he could have been my grandfather...smile.png

Dear Khun Linzz:

Apologies for not replying privately to your good private message, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I also have 15 and 16 year old sons living with me, and they're readers too. They weren't when they lived with mommy, because she was NOT a reader. But to come here, I insisted they do two hours of math and two hours of reading a day. And they do it. Now reading is a chore to neither one. They're now fanatics like my little girl. I often have to drag them away from books late at night to go to bed. The math they do on the computer (IXL is a wonderful program).

The older one is a linguist -- he's fluent in Tagalog and English. He's learning Thai at school and teaching himself Russian on the computer. The younger one is an amazing dancer -- something that I just discovered. I have to get him into some dance classes.

But all three of my winter children are joys. And all three are so happy to be here with me. The two boyz had major blow-up with their mommy to come here (different mommy than the little girl's). I just kept out of it, and let them make their own decision. The little girl is shared peacefully and lovingly by mommy and daddy, about 50-50.

Kind regards,

Just having fun (in Bangkok)

You have a lot to be proud of and I'm glad you are finding so much meaning in your older age. Not many older guys want to be shackled to kids but rather be free as you see opposite opinion on here.Each to their own and no judgement from me. If guys like you put their heart and soul into your kids who is to say it's a negative? Us oldies are not going to survive forever for sure but if you've enriched your kids lives then what more can be asked? It's the question of education which is on debate here but by all accounts you're doing a wonderful job inspiring your kids to want to learn. Cheers bud

Nope the question is how is it

that those guys were able to

get young women while

remaining firmly anchored in

the West but you had to come

to Thailand to find a woman of

breeding age?

Why is it that you feel able to make such bold and totally erroneous assumptions Mr Yeah Siam without knowing anything about me or my background ! Somewhat audacious (or even stupid) methinks. Better to keep your mouth shut and save the embarrassment.

Neither you nor Mr Faz it appears can answer civil & logical questions either

What R U NUTS?? Life expectancy is 76-79. The child will

Be an fatherless at 10y/o or sooner. Cost at least B 50,000

Per month. Another B50,000 per month for child's future when

Your dead from stress of having a baby at your age.

50,000 per month??

Never does it cost that much, unless your sending your child to one of the top international schools which the OP will not be doing.

Good luck

best thing you've ever

done? LOL

I can understand you, Brewsterbudgen, I was 56 first time...

I don’t understand why quite a number of posters think it is so bad with an elder father – who may have much better time for a kid than a young one, who is busy with career and making money; and an older dad may also have better excess of funds for schooling and education, which can be an important factor when living in Thailand.

And yes, OP is a decade older, but we have heard about fathers up in their 70’ies; I recall a fellow countryman in a TV-program about migrating to Thailand, he was 72, the mom was hardly 20, but it seemed to be very successful; however I don’t know a later ending to the story. It’s merely talking about the mum that not shall be too old having her first baby. And isn’t it better to be a wished for child with an older father, than a burden child with young parents, who may not have time and surplus to raise a family...?

I talk little from experience, as my own father was 50 years older than me – and very active all his life – I was his first and only child, and I was privileged to have my father for more than 54 years; not all are that lucky, even with a young dad.

Yes, 54 and 56, or 66 is more than 50, and with an expected little shorter life-span, but it’s not impossible one can stay active and clear in mind for quite some years; perhaps even another 30 or 40 years, without being a burden.

Of course there is a lot to take into consideration, when planning a family, perhaps especially when dad is more mature; however, I never heard any comments about having “an old dad” – as some posters have mentioned – even that he could have been my grandfather...smile.png

Nice to read a well considered, and well written, post that might actually be helpful to the OP.

If you have to ask about the cost of bringing up a baby, the answer is simple, don't have one. any guy at 66 years old

deliberately bringing a baby into the world is just plain selfish.

Wanting to bring up a teenager in your eighties is just pure lunacy.

In addition to the financial costs, the OP should consider the physical costs. I'm 40 in great shape and have a 5yr old. My little fella deserves (and gets) my attention to wrestle around, swim (playing monsters), ride bikes and scooters and the never ending game of "catch me if you can".

Kids are expensive yes, but if you want to be a father not just a sperm bank you'll need to be ready to put in the time and energy. At 66 can you really do that?

With all that said and everything else the other members have said there is one truth to consider; she probably wants a baby to satisfy her fears both emotionally and financially. That's no reason to bring a life into this world.

One of the other members said it earlier but I'll say it again. The moment you're dead and gone, that kid will be living up country like a peasant. Your woman will be used goods and back at the pub.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

These women will ruin you

These women will rob you

These women are different than you.

Think twice amigo.

When you mention scooters, I hope you don't mean the motorbike type. No, it can't be, no Westerner

living in Thailand has the Thai mentality where that's concerned.

Have I got it wrong? Does any Farang here let their young children ride motorbikes?

Maybe there's always some eh?

Why do these threads always turn into ageist bashing? 6 pages in and only a few posts actually refer to the cost of raising a child. Most are bashing on old guys, then huge derailments about how someone gets SS. The OP didn't ask ways to provide more money, just estimates on the cost.

Why is it that you feel able to make such bold and totally erroneous assumptions Mr Yeah Siam without knowing anything about me or my background ! Somewhat audacious (or even stupid) methinks. Better to keep your mouth shut and save the embarrassment.

Neither you nor Mr Faz it appears can answer civil & logical questions either

Yeah spare us the bogus

outrage, pal. Unless you

adopted the child or paid

a surrogate, you would

have had to knock up a

woman of child-bearing

age; so under 40-ish and

at least 25 years your

junior. Given what you've

already told us (you're 69,

in Thailand with a 5 year

old you had at 64) how is

that a "bold" assumption?

Farang Jaidee xwub.png

In the UK definitely, two kids gets you a guaranteed minimum income of 15,000GBP tax free (child tax credit), then another 60GBP a month in child benefit (until the kids are 19). Not to forget the free NHS card, free dentist, free eyeglasses, free milk.

All adding up go a nice little earner.