How much to raise a child?

cheeryble

Wife would love a baby.

Given my age of 66.....therefore limited ability to adapt by increasing earnings........I want to have a rational discussion about the affordableness of her desire.

How much to bring up a child all the way?

Given my OK but not endless funds and no pension it would probably be a value-for-money education but I wouldn't be happy with the normal public system.

Thanks

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given your age of 66, I'd have

thought you'd have the presence

of mind to determine whether or

not she harboured a desire for

children before you got married.

Seriously selfish to bring a child

into the world at your age. You

ain't got a pension so what

happens if you croak? A child

ain't a puppy, mate - tell the wife

you're too old. If it's a

deal-breaker, consider cutting

her loose.

Op, it'll cost plenty

My biggest concern for you & im not being rude is will you see the end of the child's education?

You'll be an old father & my personal preference is that I'd not want that. You might snuff it at 75 & then your kid is fatherless at a very young age.

BUT you might live to be 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given your age of 66, I'd have

thought you'd have the presence

of mind to determine whether or

not she harboured a desire for

children before you got married.

Seriously selfish to bring a child

into the world at your age. You

ain't got a pension so what

happens if you croak? A child

ain't a puppy, mate - tell the wife

you're too old. If it's a

deal-breaker, consider cutting

her loose.

Agreed.

Cheaper to find a new mrs.

<deleted>, get real.

Be thankfull you had the benefit ot a western education and all the opportunities it gave you, can you offer your offspring the same here in the LOS?

Why do you think so many Thais send their kids overseas to be educated?

Do you want your kid to end up as a sam lor driver?

Un bloody believable.

Buy her a bang kaew dog, it will be cheaper and will love her more.

What does she really want, a kid, a house or your pension?

Cheaper to find a new mrs.

<deleted>, get real.

Be thankfull you had the benefit ot a western education and all the opportunities it gave you, can you offer your offspring the same here in the LOS?

Why do you think so many Thais send their kids overseas to be educated?

Do you want your kid to end up as a sam lor driver?

Un bloody believable.

Buy her a bang kaew dog, it will be cheaper and will love her more.

What does she really want, a kid, a house or your pension?

She doesn't want a kid really.

Whose driving this dream?

How's your wife going to afford the kid if you croak?

Well, I'll tell you, the poor child will be back in the village living like a peasant while your wife works a bar as you've got no pension to leave her & your savings will be gone on living & raising the kid.

As mentioned, get a dog & enjoy your life.

Forget the kid. If you want a shag, hat up.

We adopted a little girl who is now 15 years old and we adore her.

I am almost 70 and my wife is 11 years younger. My biggest worry though, is what happens to them when I croak.

It is an expensive exercise and it will become even more so in your case by the time your "intended" child gets to High School, let alone University, by which time you will probably have departed this world.

Happy to talk about it further but not in a public forum, give me a yell via the Thaivisa Message Service if you want.

Like others have said, if you have to ask the question and given your age, perhaps the time has been and gone for you to be thinking about raising a child.

I'm in my early thirties and my daughter is approaching three. It's been costly enough so far but I have a good job that pays well so it's not a problem. However, we are currently in the process of looking at Prathom schools for my daughter to attend next year and some of the costs there are nothing short of astronomical.

To be honest, my view is that at the age of the OP, guys have a responsibility to be able to provide for their family after they've gone and if you're not in a position to do that then you shouldn't be thinking about having children.

Also, for older guys, don't underestimate how much time and energy a young child will demand from you - energy which you may just not have at 60+ years old.

Then again that's not to say that guys who are 60+ can't make great dads.

Government is good all the way,

Tessabaan kindergarten from age 3, 2kbht entry, 1,800bht two terms a year, all food and uniforms included.

Junior school, books and uniforms about 3k/year, all food included.

High school, started at 5k/year now at 12k/year for the last couple of years.

University ...... not there yet.

Food and clothing, not that much, nappies and milk were the most expensive time, about 800bht/month for the first 3 years.

Hospital, free, the government maternity wards do an excellent job, yeah there's a bit of waiting around, but the mums and mums to be seem happy to sit and chat all day, drop off and collect.

Don't panic, it's all worthwhile.

Time and energy, I'm 60, my youngest is three, just about to take him to school, the teen drives herself.

I have plenty of time, much more than a young employed person.

Energy, I get up at 5am to cycle up Doi Suthep most mornings so mum does mornings, I do afternoons, we share evenings.

In my humble opinion if you have to ask such a question it is obvious you cannot afford it and without being cruel at 66 what the hell do you want to be putting up with a screaming kid . Enjoy Life because at yours and my age every day is a bonus !

Government is good all the way,

Tessabaan kindergarten from age 3, 2kbht entry, 1,800bht two terms a year, all food and uniforms included.

Junior school, books and uniforms about 3k/year, all food included.

High school, started at 5k/year now at 12k/year for the last couple of years.

University ...... not there yet.

Food and clothing, not that much, nappies and milk were the most expensive time, about 800bht/month for the first 3 years.

Hospital, free, the government maternity wards do an excellent job, yeah there's a bit of waiting around, but the mums and mums to be seem happy to sit and chat all day, drop off and collect.

Don't panic, it's all worthwhile.

Time and energy, I'm 60, my youngest is three, just about to take him to school, the teen drives herself.

I have plenty of time, much more than a young employed person.

Energy, I get up at 5am to cycle up Doi Suthep most mornings so mum does mornings, I do afternoons, we share evenings.

Well done MaeJoMTB - the only person to answer the question given by the OP and from a similar age perspective. Plus from my experience a very accurate accounting for costs - if you go private considerably more. For the University currently Government Unis are between 5,000 and 10,000 per semester depending on the number of credits a student wishes to take.

At your age, I think the phrase "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" applies. The concern is really not now, but 18-20 years from now.

at 66 you have to ask a question like that on a public forum? get a life! by now you should have a pretty good idea what life is about. if you have to ask that question, ask your parents.

I'm 66 too. In all honesty if I had to ask a bunch of strangers that question I'd throw my hat at it. There comes a time in life when we should know the aswers to some things. I though it was the job of we "oldies" to give advice to the younger ones on these matters.

1. It is as expensive to raise a child at 66 as it is at 16. I would budget an extra 10,000 a month over the life of his or her childhood (for a reasonably well educated Thai upbringing)-approximately 2 million Baht or about $60,000USD

2. I never met a healthy living human being, whose father was 66 or 16, who wasnt grateful for the life they were given.

3. All life is precious. Children can still grow into healthy happy adults without a parent if you were to die. The extended Thai family ensures that your passing will not have the doomsday effect on your child that TV posters advocate

4. Thai women define their femininity through bearing children-help her out, enjoy the wonderful benefit of being a late father and ignore those who would tell you different

5. Ensure you are well enough to provide viable healthy sperm so you dont create any genetic problems-get tested

6. Ask yourself, "Do I really want to be a father and am I up to taking all the responsibility this entails?"

7. Once all of the above points are satisfied, and you are sure that is what you want, then I say go for it-There are many successful children of older parents and I think it is more selfish to deny your wife a future child than to be a loving and providing father.

Good luck to you sir

I think it is the height of irresponsibility and short sightedness to pop babies while father is in 60's, or older. Even if you happen to live til kid reaches maturity, can't really see geezers out there on cricket pitch, or baseball field showing kid how it's done. There is a reason most breeders are in their 20's: they have the time and energy for the long haul tasks. And it's not like there is any shortage of people on the planet....

Slam me all you like, but think of these guys next time someone bashes Thais for being stupid.

I was 64 when I had my only baby he is 6 years old now just started at a government school only had to pay for his uniform. He get free food and inoculations and I have not been asked for any money for any books or trips that he as done with the school

The biggest expense while the baby is young is nappies and maybe milk

When people ask me if it fair on my son that I might die when he is young I just answer by saying that my son has seen more of me in 6 years than I ever see of my Father till the day he die due to him having to work all the hours he could to pay to bring me up

I must say that I am able to leave my son enough money to live on till he get older and he also has land in his name for his university fees when required

In addition to the financial costs, the OP should consider the physical costs. I'm 40 in great shape and have a 5yr old. My little fella deserves (and gets) my attention to wrestle around, swim (playing monsters), ride bikes and scooters and the never ending game of "catch me if you can".

Kids are expensive yes, but if you want to be a father not just a sperm bank you'll need to be ready to put in the time and energy. At 66 can you really do that?

With all that said and everything else the other members have said there is one truth to consider; she probably wants a baby to satisfy her fears both emotionally and financially. That's no reason to bring a life into this world.

One of the other members said it earlier but I'll say it again. The moment you're dead and gone, that kid will be living up country like a peasant. Your woman will be used goods and back at the pub.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

These women will ruin you

These women will rob you

These women are different than you.

Think twice amigo.

Sit down with pen and paper and list all the expenses (health, food, clothing, education, etc) -- you will be horrified at the total cost.

Find out the cost of private schools to avoid future heart attacks when you receive the bill.

At 69, I'm paying 150,000 a year at a local private university for my daughter's degree in worthlessness.

If you intend to be a good father and to raise your child properly in a decent school is at least a million baht tuition and mid day meals in today's money of in like CNX. That is for 1-12 grade.

So by the time the child is 4 years old you start the kindergarten and that is 20,000 a semester for a good one where he will learn Thai social skills and maybe some English exposure.

So that is for education. The rest is same as say an extra 25% of your present costs of living.

That is my real guesstimate based on my personal experience and be prepared for a University education if the child grades warrant it or the mother ego. Thank the heavens my eldest got into CMU and not like private university.

Good luck and all you TV posters that commented off topic not with fact but ego and condemnations. Shut the F...k up, if you have nothing to add but you stupidity and fear mongering. Non of us know our future. as any young couple will tell you we can all die tomorrow.

Archived