Savannakhet, Thai Consulate New Location

Savannakhet Consulate New Location

Moved a few months back and is now around 1km from the bus station. As you exit the bus station, turn left and it's just past ITEC (Conference Centre and Shopping Centre - not fully completed but already looking ten years old and neglected), on the same side as the bus station, just past a Honda Dealership.

From downtown Savannakhet's main drag is about 3.5km walk, pleasant but hot.

The new Consulate is an impressive looking new building if you don't look too closely at the craftsmanship or ponder what it will look like in two years.

It was a Friday so just 2 Farangs. I arrived at 08:45.

I was in and out in 12 minutes and number 6 in the queue.

I had a Visa Application from previous visit so I completed it the night before. If you don't have a form, I suggest joining the queue first, there's a 100 meter long table that you queue up parallel to. When the queue is sorted, simply make your way to the front and the forms are in the basket on the counter and rejoin the queue. It takes less than 5 minutes to complete as the queue moves forward.

No fans in the courtyard and the security guard (partly out of uniform) was making the Laos line up in the sun.

Returned on Monday at 13:50, gates open 2pm and hassle free Double Entry TV (not my first from here but never done back-to-back, not sure if that matters)

Took the 14:30 International bus to Mukdahan 13.000kip. Not overly comfortable or well air conditioned but hassle free (no need to deal with tuk tuks). Also wasn't in a hurry as my bus to BKK departed 19:30.

At the border, this time, Laos Immigration was not trying for THB40 (on previous occasions I have declined to make a donation).

Ten minute at Laos Immigration, thirty minutes at Thai Immigration as most Laotians had to get Thai Immigration to complete their Arrivals card in English and you need to carry your bags through Customs where the bags were X-rayed.

Departed Savannaket at 14:30 and arrived Mukdahan bus terminal at 16:00

PM if you have any questions.

Thank you for posting this very much needed info.

Seems like a great option for double entry considering the costs and logistic dramas in Vientane, not to mention the touts.

cheap bus from mochit2, the bus at border and walk to and from consulate sounds good.

any reccomendations on accomodation nearby?

The new Consulate is an impressive looking new building if you don't look too closely at the craftsmanship or ponder what it will look like in two years.

But from the distance it looks nice "modern" whistling.gif

(some Mukdahan Thai bicycle riders visiting)

post-99794-0-04540900-1435043500_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

Seems like a great option for double entry considering the costs and logistic dramas in Vientane, not to mention the touts.

cheap bus from mochit2, the bus at border and walk to and from consulate sounds good.

Savan Phatthana Guesthouse newly refurbished fan room Kip70k, negotiated to Kip60k and well worth it. Best Hot water shower I've had in Laos and I was the first guest in this room and for the first few days the only guest.

Its located on Senna street beside Savanbanhao Hotel . The owner doesn’t speak English and she was overly nice to me when we chatted in Laos/Thai. Even got a free lift to the Consulate on Monday (not sure if she thought I was a Travel writer)

Most backpackers prefer Leena Guesthouse (google it), but not my type of place.

The best hotel is at walking distance from consulate and bus station.

Why do they xray all bags at this border and not at other borders ?

They have introduced x-ray scanning at several other borders also. My guess is that eventually they will do it everywhere.

Savan Phatthana Guesthouse newly refurbished fan room Kip70k, negotiated to Kip60k and well worth it. Best Hot water shower I've had in Laos and I was the first guest in this room and for the first few days the only guest.

Its located on Senna street beside Savanbanhao Hotel . The owner doesn’t speak English and she was overly nice to me when we chatted in Laos/Thai. Even got a free lift to the Consulate on Monday (not sure if she thought I was a Travel writer)

Most backpackers prefer Leena Guesthouse (google it), but not my type of place.

avalon residence, sisavangvong rd <removed phone number>

you can book through agoda

walk through the main gates of bus station go strait across the roar and about 100 mt on the right

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply to quoted text phone numbers are not allowed