Thai fishing vessels threaten to stop fishing next month

webfact

Fishing vessels threaten to stop fishing next month

22-6-2558-12-13-17-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Fishery associations threatened to stop fishing next month if the government fails to relax some of the strict measures enforced on fishing vessels following the European Union's planned boycott of Thailand's fish exports if it does not resolve its Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing practises.

The threat was revealed as representatives from more than 10 fishery associations met the Department of Fisheries director-general Joompol Sanguansin yesterday to discuss the IUU practises.

The meeting was intended by the government to adapt more practical approach to resolve the IUU practises.

At the meeting, representatives of fishery associations reported problems, obstacles and impracticality that were imposed to solve the IUU fishing to authorities.

According to NNT, they requested to adjust some measures to enhance practicality.

One of the obstacles that obstruct fishery industry was a measure requiring ships weighing over 30 tonnes to report their port-in and port-out information.

The said this measure has recently caused vessels with inaccurate licenses to be classified as illegal, preventing them from sailing and has affected the industry.

Besides, the Command Center for Combating Illegal Fishing’s directive on compiling a population survey of vessel crews within 24 June 2015 has also proven to be impractical.

They requested to extend the population survey period for an additional one month, and has requested for the authority to issue guidelines in amending the fishing vessel’s licenses, for a more accurate portrayal of each vessel’s information.

Government agencies have also been asked to expedite their task of issuing relevant licenses on time, as the entire process has been subject to significant delays.

If the request by the associations were not met within next month, all fishing vessels will stop fishing , said the deputy president of the National Fisheries Association of Thailand Mr Monkol Sukcharoenkana.

European Union has yellow carded Thailand for its failure to remove IUU fishing practices, which cause enormous damage worth several hundred billion baht to its fishing industry.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fishing-vessels-threaten-to-stop-fishing-next-month

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-23

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically they are saying they can't make a living without slave labor and fishing in illegal waters... coffee1.gif

Possible true, as there are too many and most probably you can't find anything in Thai waters anymore.

Once I spoke with a customs officer from a port in the deep south of Thailand and I asked him what is the main trade: importing fish from Indonesia (I think it was Indo but possible I remember wrong) and exporting vegetables.

When Thailands south needs to import massive amounts of fish than something is running very wrong.

The said this measure has recently caused vessels with inaccurate licenses to be classified as illegal, preventing them from sailing and has affected the industry:

If the licenses are inaccurate then doesn't that make them illegal?

European Union has yellow carded Thailand for its failure to remove IUU fishing practices, which cause enormous damage worth several hundred billion baht to its fishing industry.

But so will this:

If the request by the associations were not met within next month, all fishing vessels will stop fishing , said the deputy president of the National Fisheries Association of Thailand Mr Monkol Sukcharoenkana.

what a joke, they are caught red handed with illegal licences, slave labour. using illegal methods and in restricted areas and they want to blame the ones accusing them and asking for it to be cleaned up. Even when caught these idiots cannot accept responsibility as it will encroach on their profits, simple thing it to de register all of their boats and burn them and remove all their licences, make them abide by the law or be shunted out of the industry. Just hope the govt has the balls to say no to them, now they have started to fix the problem we dont need them to back peddle due to this bullsh*t threat.

Good - give some of their slave labor a break...

Yes then they can lie about the pool all day or remain glued to a bar stool and pretend they're hard working farang.

It may be a surprise to you, but many of the farangs commenting on Thai Visa have put in long years of hard work in order to enjoy the "privileges" whistling.gif of living in Thailand. Whether they are lolling in their pool or supping on their beer is irrelevant, since the comments regarding the Thai fishing industry are spot on.

The Thai fishing fleet has over-fished their own seas and abused their workers and fished out-of-bounds. Perhaps a hiatus in fishing as threatened by the fishing companies will be a welcome thing. A shortage of some species for a while, but a chance (albeit darned slight), for the fish stocks to recover.

The said this measure has recently caused vessels with inaccurate licenses to be classified as illegal, preventing them from sailing and has affected the industry:

But so will this:

NFA of Thailand - don't want to do things in compliance with the law. And try to threaten a Junta to let them have their own way.

Whose gonna get some Attitude Adjustment then?

Some lessons in conservation would help. Fish certain areas at certain times. Throwback small fish so the can grow an multiply. The list goes on and on. But first greed and and then resource exploitation must be dealt with.

But so will this:

NFA of Thailand - don't want to do things in compliance with the law. And try to threaten a Junta to let them have their own way.

Whose gonna get some Attitude Adjustment then?

It is an empty threat it would cost them too much money if they stopped fishing, and even if they did it would be good for nature. So win win.

Too many boats fishing a given area, simple.

Years ago Vietnamese fishing boats did the same thing, ended up as far south as Australia poaching in their waters.

The best thing for Thailand to do is to cut back their fishing fleet but we all know that no matter what government is in power that will never happen.

If it was up to me I would impound any boat that was found using slave labor or was fishing illegally without the correct licence and lock up the Thai skipper and owners.

Meanwhile Australian supermarket shelves are full of Thai tuna because it is cheap.

Good - give some of their slave labor a break...

Good, give the poor bloody fish some respite from over-fishing and under-sized catch.

I remember when Pla Ja La Met were the size of dinner plates, but now you are lucky to see them even up to saucer-size.

And in other news, the Union of bank robbers, safe crackers and lock pickers have threatened to stop all activities until harassment by the authorities ceases. "It's diabolical" said their spokesman, Mr Gnasher Bates. "Here we are, trying to earn a decent night's pay for an indecent night's work, and for what? To be shaken down and locked up. Enough is enough. And I'll tell you what, it won't be long before our brothers at the Shoplifters and purse snatcher's association follow us. Then you'll be sorry! Just you wait and see!" The roll-on effect could be huge. Just last night, a senior member of the stuck-at- traffic-light-windscreen-washer's syndicate was heard by this correspondent muttering about a go slow as he threw a bucket of grease over a Toyota at Asoke junction.

slave labour is alive and well in this country, that is also why you can afford a maid , which would be impossible in your home country...

ok,they get paid peanuts and that also shows in their minimalistic work

This article actually highlights the continual inadequacy of government to form any kink of systemic system as it requires significant coordinated work. Something alien to Thailand

The vessel owners are actually thumbing their noses to this government as they only too well realize that in Thailand administration talk a far better game than they can play.

For non compliance simply seize the vessels and do not release until everything is in order. After all Thailand survived what Yingluck and Co. did to the rice industry so I think that we could live without fish for a few months. The place would certainly smell better.

what a joke, they are caught red handed with illegal licences, slave labour. using illegal methods and in restricted areas and they want to blame the ones accusing them and asking for it to be cleaned up. Even when caught these idiots cannot accept responsibility as it will encroach on their profits, simple thing it to de register all of their boats and burn them and remove all their licences, make them abide by the law or be shunted out of the industry. Just hope the govt has the balls to say no to them, now they have started to fix the problem we dont need them to back peddle due to this bullsh*t threat.

That would be "Thai Style" .....as it suits them more so than anyone else.

No surprise...at least not to me...lol

Cheers

So basically they are saying they can't make a living without slave labor and fishing in illegal waters... coffee1.gif

Possible true, as there are too many and most probably you can't find anything in Thai waters anymore.

Once I spoke with a customs officer from a port in the deep south of Thailand and I asked him what is the main trade: importing fish from Indonesia (I think it was Indo but possible I remember wrong) and exporting vegetables.

When Thailands south needs to import massive amounts of fish than something is running very wrong.

The dear government approved 20 000 licenses (basicaly they gave a license to everyone) instead of the estimated sustainable number of 12 000. Another band aid over a gunshot wound.

The dear government approved 20 000 licenses (basicaly they gave a license to everyone) instead of the estimated sustainable number of 12 000. Another band aid over a gunshot wound.

Can you remember which "dear" government it was that issued these licenses.