Can burn but cannot read CD/DVD's?

WorriedNoodle

I've got this laptop (Win 7 Home 64 bit SP1) with a BruRay read/DVD/CD read/write drive. I can use PowerToGo CD/DVD burner software, that came with PC to burn discs, but when I put in someone else's disc to read I get now message below:

post-101664-0-86838100-1435039533_thumb.

suggesting the disc is blank and ready to write to. But the data is already on disc, and can be read on other drives.

* Can anyone advise what the problem is here?

Is this a new machine (or a new Windows install), or is it a recent occurrence and cd-rw and dvd-rw worked fine previously?

Can the drive read/play CDs, normal DVDs? Has the drive been cleaned recently?

Usually the case that you're missing some drivers. Can also happen when a disc isn't finalized (and wasn't created on your machine).

Microsoft Fix it Center Online - http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal

MS Fixit, Optical Drives - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Also, check the manufacturer website for both the Laptop and Optical Drive and see if they've posted any newer Drivers or BIOS updates.

Read the description of available updates carefully, only apply those that are appropriate.

Thanks for feedback guys. The laptop is 3 1/2 years old, and I now suspect the BluRay/DVD/CD drive is at fault. I have just done a factory reset on the hard drive with original install files and everything works except the CD drive issue is as above with same error. I have noticed this CD error over past 6 months or more as I don't use drive much. I can burn CD's but cannot do the read check after, but they seem to work OK on other players after burning. When I receive a DVD or CD from another source to play (usually data files) I get message above and Explorer says disk is empty. Even says the same on discs I burn myself. I have tried any number of times cleaning using the cleaning disc CD. I cannot actually see the drive read/write heads as its one of the slot loading type that sucks the CD into the laptop.

I have another laptop shelved of same model that had another fault, but the CD drive worked, so maybe one day I'll try swapping the drives when I figure how to!

If the optical drive cannot successfully read any CD / DVD / BluRay disc that indicates the issue may be

dust between optical lens and read diode/laser

dirty optical lens

bad optical drive (bad read diode/laser)

bios or driver issue

Try cleaning the optical read lens gently, gently

YouTube Video: How To Clean Slim DVD Drive Lens and Laser From Dust

or, it may be a dirty lens that can be cleaned with slightly damp cotton swab (or using a consumer clean kit).

Optical drives in laptops are usually kept in place with a single set screw on the bottom case (usually marked). Remove the screw and the optical drive unit can be slipped out, replaced, and the set screw put back in.

Thanks - I'm sure drivers are OK and its a hradware fault, probably a lens that needs cleaning or a new optical drive. The optical drive is quite hard to get at to clean the lens, need to disassemble the laptop body - so I will try this at a later date. I also have a replacement drive from another old unit if cleaning doesn't work. Its a slot loading drive as per diagram below.

post-101664-0-03720600-1435212864_thumb.

It sounds like you have files pending to be written to a CD so when you insert it wants to complete the process.

Navigate here and see if anything is pending.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder and delete all the files.