Cat 'O' Visa as Over-65 UK State Pensioner.

Hi everyone. Just getting geared up to apply for yet another Cat 'O' Non-Imm Visa as a UK Pensioner - i.e., over 65 and in receipt of a UK State Pension. On reading the latest rules from the Thai Embassy, there i have a question about whether i would be putting myself in a more difficult position in the future if on this trip back to Thailand i married my Thai partner. This is the section that is concerning me - post-106175-0-51853700-1435053701_thumb.

(I had to take a photo as the site won't allow copy-paste)

As a UK pensioner i get a fraction of that 65,000 Baht a month, so two questions - in terms of getting into Thailand for long stays, am i better off staying a SINGLE UK state-pensioner with NO INCOME requirement. Or, if we married, is there a Savings in the bank route instead of this monthly income requirement ? I am not talking about the Retirement route with the 800,000 Bt in a Thai bank - though i could show that sum in a UK bank if it was at all helpful. I don't want to 'officially' retire to Thailand - it's far more likely that my Thai partner will come and settle in the UK later. I'm just concerned that getting married could actually make it more difficult for me to get into Thailand than it is now, as i will never be able to show that minimum 65,000 Bt a month income.

All thoughts very welcome.

That appears to be old information. Requirements for extension of stay based on marriage.

Must meet the financial requirement

• Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
  • Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner embassy has to be shown to verify this income; or
  • Combination of the Thai bank account and yearly income with the total of 400,000 THB.

Siam-Legal

That info is wrong. The embassy in London will do a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage with no financial proof.

The 65 year old rule with OAP only applies for getting a multiple entry non-o in the UK.

If you get married you can get an extension of stay based upon marriage with 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income.

Hi guys, thanks. I was thinking more about how to ENTER Thailand as married to a Thai national rather than getting an Extension once there. I'm at the applying to get in stage (again). I just lifted this from the London Thai Embassy site - what does the weird Income statement mean - "more than £1,400 a month anuually" ?! This is what i'm worried about - if i go in to LoS on a UK Pensioner Cat 'O' Multiple Entry, get married, and then return to the UK - how do i get back in with only a UK state pension ? My point being - wouldn't i be worse off married (ignoring all the other ways i'd be worse off!) as far as getting into Thailand again for long stays ?

Non-Immigrant Type O

• Birth Certificate (applicant's child)
  • Certificate of Marriage or its equivalents (if married to Thai national)
  • a copy of marriage certificate,a copy of Thai passport/a copy of Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 anuually.)
  • An official recommendation letter from organization perform voluntary job in Thailand (for volunteer job)
  • Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner.
Edited by crazydrummerpauly

The embassy website is wrong. There have been many reports of people getting the non-o based upon marriage without any financial proof.

It is your choice as to what your visa is based upon, They would not force you to get one based upon marriage and would not know you were married unless you told them.

• Like 1

Since you are not married at present and not applying for a non-O visa to visit Thai wife, the requirements relating to a visa for that purpose do not apply to you, only the line with "if the applicant is a pension earner" in it.

Oh god...it doesn't get any better does it ! After 6 years of going back and forth...still a headache to know which 'official' site is remotely accurate!

UBONJOE - thanks as usual. Sounds all do-able then. I have a worry about one idea that, as you put it : "They...would not know you were married unless you told them." I'm not confident about that. I had an old mate in Isaan who married a Thai national and noticed his UK state pension stopped landing in his bank account each month. On returning to the UK he popped into the Benefits office to ask why, and was told : 'Because you got married'. He was 100% sure he'd never told them directly. I see no reason why getting married wouldn't get inserted into every computerised record on each one of us. But then i am paranoid by nature. Back then by the way, they actually wanted to pay him 50% MORE a month cos of his new dependent - that rule was scrapped a few years ago.

LITEBEER - thanks for some more positivity!

That is a UK government thing. He got an affirmation of permit to marry from the embassy if he got married here and it could be that they notified somebody,

The Thai embassy in London or one of the consulates would not know about it.

• Like 1

When you get to the point of doing extensions instead of getting new visas, immigration prefers that you extend for retirement if you qualify.

The OP stated that he didn't want to "officially" retire to Thailand - meaning that the question of extensions probably won't arise in his case.

• Like 1

"The OP stated that he didn't want to "officially" retire to Thailand - meaning that the question of extensions probably won't arise in his case."

Perhaps not (now), but it's also good info for anyone in a similar situation.

• Like 1

Pauly, in view of the fact that UK Gove will freeze your state pension if you officially retire' to Thailand, don't tell them EVER. (Or do 6 months here/six there.) If you do marry then you should qualify for a married persons State pension (tho' it's over 5 years since I did it.) New taxation rules which came into force this April means you can share your married persons allowance with your non-working wife & pay less tax per annum to make up for their discriminatory policy against pensioners living in Thailand.

• Like 1

Pauly, in view of the fact that UK Gove will freeze your state pension if you officially retire' to Thailand, don't tell them EVER. (Or do 6 months here/six there.) If you do marry then you should qualify for a married persons State pension (tho' it's over 5 years since I did it.) New taxation rules which came into force this April means you can share your married persons allowance with your non-working wife & pay less tax per annum to make up for their discriminatory policy against pensioners living in Thailand.

Thanks for that - yes, i've always been very wary about losing my UK pension increments ! The married person's pension is something i need to follow up - thanks.

When you get to the point of doing extensions instead of getting new visas, immigration prefers that you extend for retirement if you qualify.

The OP stated that he didn't want to "officially" retire to Thailand - meaning that the question of extensions probably won't arise in his case.

As the OP has stated that they don't have an income to cover the 65,000 THB requirement (which is obviously less than the £1,550 UK requirement), if he doesn't have £62,500 in savings, he'll be doing a lot of extensions unless he brings his wife back via the EU route. Edited by JB300