Phuket Airport. Damaged oil pan of BIG BIKE driving up small ramp to get to advised parking lot.

ALFREDO

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honda Big Wing Phuket told me today - "You know, we have no insurance on that bike Honda CB 650 F"

Did also nothing sign or was advised from Ducati Phuket some days ago, about anything from insurance, before my test ride, maybe they have?.

If I would do nothing about it, It wouldn't be me.

I can live with a =NO=, but I cannot live to know, that I did not ask. tongue.png

A broken -oil pan- made from aluminium on a Yamaha FZ 09 makes me wiser, in that way,

as I know now, that FZ 09 have aluminium -oil pans- and that these brake easy, a -oil pan- made from steel would not have brought that problem, would not have got a hairline crack in that circumstances.

That will not help me deciding on my next bike, I have other decision factors.smile.png

That's not what I meant. I mean all this big bike renting man, you are clearly not a native English speaker and misunderstand my post and I am sometimes having difficulties understanding yours.

I am not surprised the oil pan is made of Alu, it saves weight. Many bikes don't have oil pans but only a bottom plug for draining the oil so a crack in one of them means a whole new engine block.

Well it would not made me not buying a 09 if I was on the market for one, just fit a engine guard under the engine and the oil pan will never be damaged in that way.

so a crack in one of them means a whole new engine block.

What's with this brave new world where nothing is repaired? When I was young everything got fixed.

You want a light weight bike? Your gonna get aluminum

I would prefer, not to have an aluminium oil pan on such an exposed place, or a bit better secured, possibly with an exhaust first taking an impact.

Yeah, the guy seems a little naive and gullible.

You do not rent vehicles, especially a big bike, especially in Thailand, without full insurance.

Now he's blaming the design of the bike. Everyone's fault but his own. rolleyes.gif

And as for the idea that not only are AOT to blame, but that they are going to pay......gigglem.gif

Its up to you what you think.

I come to TH since 1990, live here since 1998 and rented a lot of bikes in 25 years.

I am in the last years not much around in Tourist centers, but, still,

most of the bikes rented out in Patong and Pattaya have only normal and no full liability insurance.

You will not find much to rent in Thailand's tourist centers with a full liability insurance and if, only for a crazy price.

Most of these insurances would als have a deductible sum included, which would be - see posting Nr.20

"signed a paper before the ride, that I will pay max 15k baht if any damage to the bike while testing it, more than 15k baht damage, insurance takes over."

not even have paid my problem and mishap.

For your other comments, I give not even a -hoot-. coffee1.gif

I know for sure that Ducati Pattaya had class A insurance on the Hyperstrada I tried last year, I signed a paper before the ride, that I will pay max 15k baht if any damage to the bike while testing it, more than 15k baht damage, insurance takes.

Honda Big Wing Phuket told me today - "You know, we have no insurance on that bike Honda CB 650 F"

Did also nothing sign or was advised from Ducati Phuket some days ago, about anything from insurance, before my test ride, maybe they have?.

That's not what I meant. I mean all this big bike renting man, you are clearly not a native English speaker and misunderstand my post and I am sometimes having difficulties understanding yours.

-Guzzi-

Do not see, where you "mean all this big bike renting man"

You write, that Ducati Pattaya has Class A insurance and I answered, what I heard in Honda Big Wing Phuket and that I got no advce from Ducati Phuket at all.

By the way = I am happy that you such a good English speaker and I am sorry that I am not a native English speaker.rolleyes.gif

aot told me were to park , rental firm didn't tell me, yamaha makes faulty bikes. stop moaning, it is a drivers error.

I do not know, how you come to this wording? = "rental firm didn't tell me"

Where did I write about that anything?blink.png

AOT - ordered me where to park - YES

On the ramp to that parking space the motorbikes oil pan got damaged - the small concrete ramp seemed not to high or dangerous for that bike, all other bikes could drive the ramp - I drove slowly

-Where is the drivers error?-whistling.gif

Yamaha - has its oil pan screw exposed placed, an owner of a FZ 800 writes the same in my thread.

=="The pan design is flawed because there's a fin on the bottom of the pan that's supposed to protect the drain plug. However all it seems to do is concentrate any impact on the bottom of the pan and crack it around the bolt.

Seeing how much oil came out it must be quite badly cracked. Mine was only dripping a bit and Yamaha in BKK were able to repair it, so I rode maybe 500 km like that while waiting for the new pan."==
post-212467-0-67479200-1435075092_thumb.
Edited by ALFREDO

aot told me were to park , rental firm didn't tell me, yamaha makes faulty bikes. stop moaning, it is a drivers error.

I do not know, how you come to this wording? = "rental firm didn't tell me"

Where did I write about that anything?blink.png

AOT - ordered me where to park - YES

On the ramp to that parking space the motorbikes oil pan got damaged - the small concrete ramp seemed not to high or dangerous for that bike, all other bikes could drive the ramp - I drove slowly

-Where is the drivers error?-whistling.gif

Yamaha - has its oil pan screw exposed placed, an owner of a FZ 800 writes the same in my thread.

=="The pan design is flawed because there's a fin on the bottom of the pan that's supposed to protect the drain plug. However all it seems to do is concentrate any impact on the bottom of the pan and crack it around the bolt.

Seeing how much oil came out it must be quite badly cracked. Mine was only dripping a bit and Yamaha in BKK were able to repair it, so I rode maybe 500 km like that while waiting for the new pan."==

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/826754-ducati-monster-821-yamaha-mt-09-kawasaki-z-800-which-one/page-8

post-212467-0-67479200-1435075092_thumb.

it seemed to you but you were wrong = drivers errot

Yeah, the guy seems a little naive and gullible.

You do not rent vehicles, especially a big bike, especially in Thailand, without full insurance.

Now he's blaming the design of the bike. Everyone's fault but his own. rolleyes.gif

And as for the idea that not only are AOT to blame, but that they are going to pay......gigglem.gif

I come to TH since 1990, live here since 1998 and rented a lot of bikes in 25 years.

most of the bikes rented out in Patong and Pattaya have only normal and no full liability insurance.

You will not find much to rent in Thailand's tourist centers with a full liability insurance and if, only for a crazy price.

Most of these insurances would als have a deductible sum included, which would be - see posting Nr.20

"signed a paper before the ride, that I will pay max 15k baht if any damage to the bike while testing it, more than 15k baht damage, insurance takes over."

So you CHOSE to rent with not good insurance. Down to you then to cover the difference.

I agree with that, finding a bike with full class A is very very difficult and if there are there will always be a certain amount deductible.

Also on my own big bike there is 15K baht deductible or it will cost crazy money in premium and is not worth it.

Some nasty bike/car renter outlets are earning extra money this way; the renter damage the vehicle and they demand big money, often +200% of the damage cost. The renter is often a tourist and have left the passport at the rental dude and needs to fly home and so on. They will almost always just pay.

I very seldom rent bikes anymore, have my own but sometimes rent a PCX on Phuket when I am there on holidays. I found a good place where they don't demand passport but only a copy but I then have to leave a higher deposit, which is fair enough. I so far always got my deposit back without any problems.

So you CHOSE to rent with not good insurance. Down to you then to cover the difference.

Even when you should find a good insured motorbike for rent - you have to pay at least 15.000.- Baht yourself (deductible) - see other comments in that thread.

So, that would not help me much either with that relatively small mishap.

Should you find a bike insured without any deductible, the rent would be very expensive.

Looks like you've hit a sharp ramp at the wrong angle and speed, on a long wheelbase bike that is more vulnerable (than scooters) to obstacles. This problem is common with most riders, until they learn to avoid it through costly experience.

You should have just caulked the leak..

The best posting in this thread. You right. Serious. thumbsup.gif

Sorry, I had you not by my side on that evening in stress in the airport. wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Looks like you've hit a sharp ramp at the wrong angle and speed, on a long wheelbase bike that is more vulnerable (than scooters) to obstacles. This problem is common with most riders, until they learn to avoid it through costly experience.

Did not look dangerous. I drove slowly.

BUT,

curbstone to high, ramp to short, motorbike wheelbase too long, a heavy rider and an aluminium oil pan,

which is easy damaged.

Now, I know. whistling.gif

11651184_905714522800174_17512134_n.jpg?

11541685_905715456133414_520039509_o.jpg

Even when you should find a good insured motorbike for rent - you have to pay at least 15.000.- Baht yourself (deductible) - see other comments in that thread.

So, that would not help me much either with that relatively small mishap.

Should you find a bike insured without any deductible, the rent would be very expensive.

Sorry, but if you CHOOSE to be different to millions of Thais and want to drive a big bike then you will have to suffer any adverse consequences. Thailand doesn't cater to those that choose to be different. Caveat emptor indeed.

Sorry, but if you CHOOSE to be different to millions of Thais and want to drive a big bike then you will have to suffer any adverse consequences. Thailand doesn't cater to those that choose to be different. Caveat emptor indeed.

-thaibeachlovers-

Don't be pathetic.

You already different enough, when you are a Caucasian and start living in Isaan in a small village.

You stand out there same the young Thai girl on a visit, or married in a small Austrian countryside village. rolleyes.gif

I drive in Thailand BIG bikes since 1990, my own bike since 2000, makes me not much more different,

needed no ramp mishap in Phuket airport after 25 years to make me different.

I am different

and stand out alone from my skin colour and body mass, does not need to be a motorbike to make me different.

BUT, I suffered never, not in my opinion.

And I not care much that I stand alone in my opinion, that is not the first time, or will it be the last.

(AOT had to think, that that airport is on Phuket and many Big Bikes are on that island, in ownership

and rent out, has to be thought, that some of them would find their way also to the Phuket airport,

so the (temporary) motorbike parking lot should have been thought of, to fit for BIG bikes too)

-thaibeachlovers-

Don't be pathetic.

You already different enough, when you are a Caucasian and start living in Isaan in a small village.

You stand out there same the young Thai girl on a visit, or married in a small Austrian countryside village. rolleyes.gif

I drive in Thailand BIG bikes since 1990, my own bike since 2000, makes me not much more different,

needed no ramp mishap in Phuket airport after 25 years to make me different.

I am different

and stand out alone from my skin colour and body mass, does not need to be a motorbike to make me different.

BUT, I suffered never, not in my opinion.

And I not care much that I stand alone in my opinion, that is not the first time, or will it be the last.

(AOT had to think, that that airport is on Phuket and many Big Bikes are on that island, in ownership

and rent out, has to be thought, that some of them would find their way also to the Phuket airport,

so the (temporary) motorbike parking lot should have been thought of, to fit for BIG bikes too)

I do not deny your right to be different, just saying that you are responsible for anything that happens because of your free choice.

You have by your words been in Thailand for at least 25 years, yet you make a statement like that cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif . Have you not learned by now that Thais don't think, nor care about things like that?

just saying that you are responsible for anything that happens because of your free choice.

You have by your words been in Thailand for at least 25 years, yet you make a statement like that cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif . Have you not learned by now that Thais don't think, nor care about things like that?

I know at least now why you have in similar long membership the double amount of contributions.

Because you like to lecture and tease people needlessly with your statements

and seem to feel satisfaction out of that. blink.png

Pathetic pastime.

just saying that you are responsible for anything that happens because of your free choice.

I know at least now why you have in similar long membership the double amount of contributions.

Because you like to lecture and tease people needlessly with your statements

and seem to feel satisfaction out of that. blink.png

Pathetic pastime.

Alfredo, mate ! Do you think just maybe, by your continuing to blame everyone but yourself, continuing not to accept responsibility for your error in judgement, continuing to prattle on in general, most readers are getting a little bored with you & your attitude ?

Go have a lay down. Go have a beer. Go have a nookie. Get over it. Like thaibeachlovers inferred... after 25 or so years here you should know how things work.

They win, you lose... next please......

Alfredo, mate ! Do you think just maybe, by your continuing to blame everyone but yourself, continuing not to accept responsibility for your error in judgement, continuing to prattle on in general, most readers are getting a little bored with you & your attitude ?

Go have a lay down. Go have a beer. Go have a nookie. Get over it. Like thaibeachlovers inferred... after 25 or so years here you should know how things work.

1st

I am not your mate.

Who writes such comments in my thread, cannot be a mate.

Who has mates like you, does not need enemies. bah.gif

2nd

I blame "everybody"? no, only one, the AOT who ordered me, to use that unsuited parking space with signs and verbal orders.

3rd

No error in judgement, it was not foreseeable, sure not from a driver of a some hours before rented motorbike, that to use that ramp could have that mishap.

4th

Nobody is forced to read that thread and when some are already annoyed from my opinion

and attitude they are free not to klick that thread and answer and try to advice me with their "right' opinion.

5th

Go for a beer with -thaibeachlovers- who likes your opinion.

I do not drink beer and your proposals give to your mates, not me. I am not one of them. coffee1.gif

1st

I am not your mate.

2nd

I blame "everybody"? no, only one, the AOT who ordered me, to use that unsuited parking space with signs and verbal orders.

3rd

No error in judgement, it was not foreseeable, sure not from a driver of a some hours before rented motorbike, that to use that ramp could have that mishap.

4th

Nobody is forced to read that thread and when some are already annoyed from my opinion

and attitude they are free not to klick that thread and answer and try to advice me with their "right' opinion.

5th

I do not drink beer and your proposals give to your mates, not me. I am not one of them. coffee1.gif

Let us know the outcome when you sue AOT.

Best of luck mate.

Cheers..... Mal.

1st

I am not your mate.

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

you just admitted you were an inexperienced driver (on that bike) , hence drivers error

you just admitted you were an inexperienced driver (on that bike) , hence drivers error

-Frits-

Make yourself happy, go for a drink, beer - coffee? with -malt- and -thaibeachlovers- who like and share your opinion and discuss that there in detail further. tongue.pngcoffee1.gif

Travelinsurance can cover this, check the policy.

We drove into Sheraton hotel at the river, guided by the guards as well. Then also a big noise was heard and the bumper of the 2 year old Honda car hit the floor at the (steap) ramp and it fell off.

The hotel didn't give a dime and the owner had to push the bumper back on her car herself.

I just park where i like now, no matter what the guards tell me. I've had them chasing me while yelling "accuu me sur" but i don't speak that language and just walk.

Motorbike customers are treated like thai personell on scooters, have to park in the back somewhere on a full parking. I have several scratches on my bikes from that so now i just park where i like. They should be happy i come by bike and not by car so i don't need a parkingspot on the car lot.

2nd

3rd

"Ordered" may not be the term you are looking for. In your original post you said, "I asked security, they advised"...

In your own judgement it was an 'unsuited parking space" which you chose to use despite its unsuitability and your own inexperience on that motorcycle because otherwise you "would have been the only one parking not upstairs".

You could have easily chosen to listen to your own misgivings regarding the suitability of the parking and just parked where you felt was suitable. As you know from being here for so long, airport staff would assume an expensive, brand new, big-bike belonged to a V.I.P. and you could have parked anywhere with impunity.

2nd

3rd

"Ordered" may not be the term you are looking for. In your original post you said, "I asked security, they advised"...

In your own judgement it was an 'unsuited parking space" which you chose to use despite its unsuitability and your own inexperience on that motorcycle because otherwise you "would have been the only one parking not upstairs".

You could have easily chosen to listen to your own misgivings regarding the suitability of the parking and just parked where you felt was suitable. As you know from being here for so long, airport staff would assume an expensive, brand new, big-bike belonged to a V.I.P. and you could have parked anywhere with impunity.

Mike, Alfredo will be along soon to reply to your comments & tell you that you are wrong. You'd think by now he'd give up.... BUT, he like having the last word.

Cheers..... Mal.

Let us know the outcome when you sue AOT.

Suing will not happen, sorry. tongue.png

Comprehension not one of your stronger points ?

"sarcasm" [sahr-kaz-uh m] noun 1.harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2.a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark:
Alfredo, mate... in common speak it's called thking the piss out of someone.
Cheers..... Mal.
Yes, I know, yellow card coming.