NATO retools for long-haul standoff with Russia

webfact

NATO retools for long-haul standoff with Russia
JOHN-THOR DAHLBURG, Associated Press

BRUSSELS (AP) — From top-level decisions like how NATO orders its troops into action to the very granular, like repainting an airfield near the Baltic Sea coast, the U.S.-led alliance is retooling for what it fears could be years of confrontation with a resurgent and unpredictable Russia.

"After decades of peace, that peaceful period after the Cold War is now over," Poland's defense minister and deputy premier Tomasz Siemoniak said recently. "Because there are more and more crises erupting around Europe, and we have to make sure that the public understands it."

On Wednesday, Siemoniak, U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter and counterparts from throughout NATO will open a two-day meeting in Brussels expected to continue reshaping an organization originally founded in 1949 to deter the Stalin-era Soviet Union from overrunning Western Europe with its tanks and troops.

Today's security challenges come once again from Moscow — but also from surging radical Muslim extremists like the Islamic State group and on battlefields unheard of by NATO's founders, like cyberspace.

"NATO is adapting to this new environment, to the new conditions on its periphery," Douglas Lute, U.S. ambassador to NATO, said.

To continue the adaptation, alliance defense ministers are expected to order a further increase in the strength and capabilities of the NATO Response Force, from 30,000 to as many as 40,000 troops, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said.

In February, at their last meeting in Brussels, defense ministers agreed to create a rapidly deployable multinational task force of 5,000 ground troops that could come to the aid within 48 hours of any NATO member menaced by Russia or other external threats.

On Wednesday, the ministers are expected to decide on the air, sea and special forces units needed to complement this so-called "spearhead force," and Lute predicted Carter will offer a sizeable U.S. contribution, including strategic airlift capability.

On Tuesday, Carter announced during a visit to Estonia that the U.S. will also spread about 250 tanks, armored vehicles and other military equipment across a half-dozen of NATO's easternmost members that feel most at risk from Russia.

Earlier, the U.S. defense secretary told reporters traveling with him that the Obama administration still hopes to work with the Russians on important issues like the Iran nuclear talks, the fight against Islamic State group and efforts to bring about peaceful regime change in Syria. But Carter said NATO must adapt its deterrence and response capabilities "in anticipation that Russia might not change under Vladimir Putin, or even thereafter."

Last September, the U.S. announced a plan to spend up to $1 billion on various actions to reassure European NATO members. The funds are paying for increased U.S. troop rotations, more exercises, more prepositioning of military equipment and upgrading of infrastructure, including repainting the airfield and adding bulk fuel storage capacity at Amari Air Base in Estonia.

Since possessing an ultra-fast reaction force is pointless if NATO's 28 member countries can't quickly agree in an emergency on how to use it, the defense ministers are also expected to decide on a new mechanism to "speed up our political and military-decision making," Stoltenberg said.

"To further promote faster decisions, we will have more detailed and advanced plans, which is key to be able to deploy forces quickly," the NATO chief said.

Ministers are expected to approve granting U.S. Air Force Gen. Philip Breedlove, the alliance's supreme commander in Europe, "more authority to prepare our troops for deployment and get them ready to go once the political decision has been made," Stoltenberg said. But he stressed that even in the event of deployment, member countries' "full political control" over alliance actions, one of NATO's guiding principles, would be maintained.

Lute said Breedlove will be given more latitude than at present to alert, assemble and mobilize the reaction force. The power to decide on its use will remain with representatives of the governments of NATO's member countries, but the current step-by-step political decision-making sequence used to approve military operations will be simplified and compressed.

"So it's two parts: delegate some (powers) to Phil, and streamline those that remain at the political level," Lute said.

The latest changes at NATO follow broad policy decisions taken by U.S. President Barack Obama and other alliance leaders at the summit held in Wales last September, and come at about the midway point between that meeting and the next NATO summit scheduled for July 2016 in Warsaw, Poland.

"Things over the last several years have gone at a dizzying pace, you might say," U.S. Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James said during a visit this month to Brussels. "There has been more change than I can remember ever in a single two-year period, at least in the 34 years that I have been an observer on the defense scene."
___

Lolita Baldor in Tallinn, Estonia and Monika Scislowska at the Zagan-Swietoszow test range, Poland contributed.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-24

Thank you Mr. Putin for putting us back into a cold war. What a wonderful person you are.

It is Merkel who has put us back into the cold war. Her E,U expansionist plans.

Putin has been in power for along time and has never been a threat until this Ukraine situation created by Merkel..

Then you have the U.S wanting to put missiles in places like Poland,

Remember what happened when the old USSR were going to put missiles in Cuba. So you can expect a reaction from Russia.

I have no problem with Russia but I hate the Dictating E.U and I am English.

We are told elsewhere that the greatest threat to world security today is the IS but we are not sure who is the friend and who is the enemy in fighting them or what to do about it so look for an alternative boggy man.

Cant have a "Resurgent Russia" and as the economic war against them isn't producing the desired results lets try something different to provoke them.

"The latest changes at NATO follow broad policy decisions taken by U.S". That's the way to go EU and NATO follow along like good little puppy dogs.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to look back and see what some of the previous " Broad policy decisions taken by U.S" have led to.

U.S. will also spread about 250 tanks, armored vehicles and other military equipment across a half-dozen of NATO's easternmost members that feel most at risk from Russia.

Like the remake of a bad "B" movie...Cold War II is heating up...

Who started it...depends on who you ask...two sides to every story...

We are told elsewhere that the greatest threat to world security today is the IS but we are not sure who is the friend and who is the enemy in fighting them or what to do about it so look for an alternative boggy man.

Cant have a "Resurgent Russia" and as the economic war against them isn't producing the desired results lets try something different to provoke them.

"The latest changes at NATO follow broad policy decisions taken by U.S". That's the way to go EU and NATO follow along like good little puppy dogs.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to look back and see what some of the previous " Broad policy decisions taken by U.S" have led to.

Robby, seriously are you a paid Russian propagandist? Or do you just live way out there in "left" field?

Robby, seriously are you a paid Russian propagandist? Or do you just live way out there in "left" field?

No and neither am I a paid US propagandist which leaves me free to look at things from a neutral prospective.

Instead of insults perhaps you would like to refute what I posted and give us a run down on what these "Broad policy decisions taken by U.S" have led to in the past and present.

Hint; Vietnam, Iraq, Libya.

Keep it cool, guys.

Nobody' going to war. Neither Putin nor US cum NATO.

And there is no chance for the Cold War II.

Both sides need to re-kindle and update their weaponry.

They will also need to test it in the field.

But for this there is Middle East, not Europe.

So, once again, keep cool. Don't panic!

The west has created a soft and idle society that will never go to war again as in WW2, and there aren't enough guys in the slums to increase the army to the size it would need to be. I can see the nuke option being used up front, rather than as a last resort.

Both NATO and Russia have rejected the No First Strike policy in the event of conventional forces attack

Keep it cool, guys.

Nobody' going to war. Neither Putin nor US cum NATO.

And there is no chance for the Cold War II.

Both sides need to re-kindle and update their weaponry.

They will also need to test it in the field.

But for this there is Middle East, not Europe.

So, once again, keep cool. Don't panic!

That's what Chamberlain thought, when he brought his "piece of paper" back to London.

That will put a dent in the UKs downsizing of the military. Unlike WW2 tanks, aircraft and ships cannot be quickly built nor can the manpower of the services be ramped up overnight. There are NO aircraft built exclusively in the UK but parts come from the UK, France, Germany, Spain and probably Italy. Take out ANY one of them and there will be NO European aircraft built.

The UK politicians especially over the last few years and under Big Dave's Con/Lib/Dem coalition have cut the UK armed forces down to the bone. They even literally ordered the cutting up and scrapping of the last batch of Nimrod maritime patrol aircraft and the net result of that is that there are NO maritime aircraft left in the UK outside of museums.

There are 2, count them, 2 aircraft carriers neither of which will be in service until 2018 and neither of which will have ANY aircraft until 2020 at the earliest. There are more nuclear submarines of the Royal Navy awaiting scrapping than are in service. (The problem is disposing of the old nuclear reactors somewhere).

The army is to be cut to a maximum of 80,000 men and women by 2017 with the Territorial Army recruiting to make up the numbers. Sadly the TA recruitment is running at only 30% or so of the target requirement.

The way that things are going with the UK military in the event of a serious confrontation even I expect a recall to serve in the RAF again and I am 71.

Thank you Mr. Putin for putting us back into a cold war. What a wonderful person you are.

Putin has been in power for along time and has never been a threat until this Ukraine situation created by Merkel..

Remember what happened when the old USSR were going to put missiles in Cuba. So you can expect a reaction from Russia.

Having just spent a week in Ukraine, the locals are definitely not blaming Merkel for this. Nor the US. Anti Russian sentiment is high in Ukraine and the Baltic countries. Considering their history with Russia, it's easily understood.

Just spent a week in Lithuania, now in Latvia, heading to Estonia.

That will put a dent in the UKs downsizing of the military. Unlike WW2 tanks, aircraft and ships cannot be quickly built nor can the manpower of the services be ramped up overnight. There are NO aircraft built exclusively in the UK but parts come from the UK, France, Germany, Spain and probably Italy. Take out ANY one of them and there will be NO European aircraft built.

The UK politicians especially over the last few years and under Big Dave's Con/Lib/Dem coalition have cut the UK armed forces down to the bone. They even literally ordered the cutting up and scrapping of the last batch of Nimrod maritime patrol aircraft and the net result of that is that there are NO maritime aircraft left in the UK outside of museums.

There are 2, count them, 2 aircraft carriers neither of which will be in service until 2018 and neither of which will have ANY aircraft until 2020 at the earliest. There are more nuclear submarines of the Royal Navy awaiting scrapping than are in service. (The problem is disposing of the old nuclear reactors somewhere).

The army is to be cut to a maximum of 80,000 men and women by 2017 with the Territorial Army recruiting to make up the numbers. Sadly the TA recruitment is running at only 30% or so of the target requirement.

The way that things are going with the UK military in the event of a serious confrontation even I expect a recall to serve in the RAF again and I am 71.

Do you not see the ulterior motive, an EU army controlled by Germany.

Having just spent a week in Ukraine, the locals are definitely not blaming Merkel for this. Nor the US. Anti Russian sentiment is high in Ukraine and the Baltic countries. Considering their history with Russia, it's easily understood.

Yep. I have been saying this for months, but our little Russian contingent and those that simply want to blame every thing on the US spew inaccurate facts.

I feel so bad for the people from Ukraine. They actually had a chance to severe their ties from Russia and rampant corruption that keeps them down and move toward a long term solution that could have improved their way of life.

Jeez, what is happening over there is so very sad. It is like getting the notice you have won the lottery and then being told they made mistake when trying to cash in your winning ticket.

Naturally they would not, when Ukrainian propaganda machine works 24 hours per day misinforming people.

I do not believe anyone in Kiev came under rocket fire and US with EU are the saviors who are giving the money.

You might get different sentiments if you visit east Ukraine.

The Baltic states were always anti Russian, they did not and do not need encouragement from anyone else.

Poland always wanted Ukraine under its wing, so no surprise there.

Grass is always greener on the other side

Lol, the roaches come out of the wood work. Propaganda? That is Russia and people like you. You should be proud, very proud about the harm done to some very innocent, good, hard working people that had a dream. Even Russians living in Russia are anti Putin on what he has done in the Ukraine and they truly are bombarded with propaganda 24 hours a day. Most are smart enough to see through it. Lol, apparently some are not smart enough as painfully evident here.

Being here in the Baltic States, you see first hand the reasons they don't like Russia and are afraid of another invasion. Their history with Russia has not been a good one. I've visited 2 genocide museums so far. Pretty bad.

Being here in the Baltic States, you see first hand the reasons they don't like Russia and are afraid of another invasion. Their history with Russia has not been a good one. I've visited 2 genocide museums so far. Pretty bad.

So nice you get to go there. Very interesting part of the world. We are off to Moscow and St. Petersburg very soon. Will pick up MIL in Siberia to bring her back her for 6 months. Looking forward to my trip and I love this part of the world.

So you'd like the US to pull completely out of Europe and let them simply go <deleted> themselves. God, how I'd love that. You and I could apparently be great friends. thumbsup.gif

Please also try to figure out how to remove the scars and pain from my father's hands that he got when a machine gun blew up in his hands on D-Day. God how I wish we could have a do-over on that and stay home. thumbsup.gif

yep, couple of weeks in foreign country is enough to understand everything about place.

No and neither am I a paid US propagandist which leaves me free to look at things from a neutral prospective.

Instead of insults perhaps you would like to refute what I posted and give us a run down on what these "Broad policy decisions taken by U.S" have led to in the past and present.

Hint; Vietnam, Iraq, Libya.

if I hear about that Lame Bengazi Crap , il Hurl, First Word out of Republican mouth Bengazi, Bengazi, Tools

yep, couple of weeks in foreign country is enough to understand everything about place.

Understood, but sure beats those who've never been but act like they know it all.

So you'd like the US to pull completely out of Europe and let them simply go <deleted> themselves. God, how I'd love that. You and I could apparently be great friends. thumbsup.gif

Please also try to figure out how to remove the scars and pain from my father's hands that he got when a machine gun blew up in his hands on D-Day. God how I wish we could have a do-over on that and stay home. thumbsup.gif

I see you excel in strategic thinking.

Edited by simple1