New UK visa changes... Earn over 35,000£ or get out!

It'certainly not going to get easier for migrants. Presumably this only applies to migrant workers and not partners/wives?

That we can only hope, But they now have weird ideas,caused through the EU Unelected MPs The whole thing is a mess.A mess that will take 300 years to clean

up. All I can say Is fxxx them all.

The clock is ticking, just wait,The Euro and the fourth reich will be the first to fall,they call it the Domino syndrome

It'certainly not going to get easier for migrants. Presumably this only applies to migrant workers and not partners/wives?

Agreed. The way I read it is that it is about migrant workers who may qualify for settlement in the UK on the basis of living and working in the country for 5 years.

Nothing at all to do with a UK citizen bringing their wife/husband/partner to live with them in the UK.

• Like 2

The legislation has been known about since 2011. Income/earnings were one factor as to whether a visa was granted or not. An employer had to demonstrate a clear need for skilled workers from abroad. There is an exemption for some occupations where there were severe shortages. It was decided after consultation that nursing was not one of these occupations.

It was expected that employers would take the time to train workers over the five years to fill these jobs or recruit from within the EU. This was to protect and improve job opportunities for UK and EU citizens.

Visa holders were aware that they were here for a fixed term and would be expected to return to their home countries (hopefully taking their skills with them). None of this is therefore a surprise to the holders of those visas. Some, perhaps many hoped that they would be offered extensions.

This system allowed skilled workers to work for a limited time, give employers a chance to build up skilled locals but would not allow the visa holders to gain ILR on the grounds of long residence. They were expected to go home!

In theory everyone should have been happy! Workers come to the UK, bringing skills with them to fill gaps but still keep the Daily Mail readers happy because they were all going home!

The reality is that in those 5 years home trained nursing staff are not available in enough numbers. The non-EU labour is needed just as much as it ever was but the rules say they must go home.

They will have to change the rules to allow extensions and after 10 years long term residence the visa holders will be able to apply for ILR.

• Like 2

I wonder what impact it will have on the Thai restaurants. I guess, that it will make it very tough to bring new Thai ppl over to replace any that leave.

Most thais, who are working in restaraunts, are doing illegaly, no work permits, cash in hand, throw them out i say

• Like 1

I wonder what impact it will have on the Thai restaurants. I guess, that it will make it very tough to bring new Thai ppl over to replace any that leave.

Most thais, who are working in restaraunts, are doing illegaly, no work permits, cash in hand, throw them out i say

Many of them are students and, I'm told, working legally while on a Student Visa.

In my experience a large proportion of UK "Thai" restaurants are staffed by Filipinas, but your point is still well made..........

Just to clarify that these proposals are only for Tier 2 (General) Migrant and sportspersons, as others have indicated the new threshold doesn't affect those settling with a UK spouse or partner.

I would expect that Ms May and her advisors will, at some stage, increase the earning requirement for spouse settlement.

Immigration Rules_Migrant Workers.pdf

implement some rules on thais all over the world, the same they do overhere with farangs ?

10x the yearly average salary of a local in savings

(800.000 baht for pensionners right, if there are thais earning 6000 baht per month x 12 months)

for locals for one workpermit, paying salary, taxes, insurance

start your business but give your money away 51%, so you are left with 49%

or would this be called discrimination , in any western country ?

pretty sure Thailand has a similar earning threshold related to national average pay levels, does not seem so bad to me.

As I understand it, there are no minimum wages applicable to foreign workers in Thailand. But because there is always a but in Thailand the Immigration Department has developed a minimum wage schedule applicable to foreign workers who have a work permit and want to apply for one year B visa extension.

For workers from the UK I believe the level is 50,000 Baht per month, so about £11,500 at current rates, substantially less than proposed for migrants workers in the UK and also substantially less than us old duffers who want to retire here.

• Like 2

Then, next issues are East Europeans. UK don't want them, so leave the EU.

Then all underpaid slavish labour is open to Brits only, good luck.

Of course, many Brits will rather claim welfare than accept underpaid jobs. So, UK needs austerity reforms to make sure that Brits can't "abuse" the welfare system.

You see where UK is heading?

• Like 2

That's how they destroy international families.

Not only in UK, something like this happened to me in Germany. I wasn't even allowed to marry my chosen partner, and when I wanted to marry her in her own country they locked me up in Germany. Just to keep her away from me.

They'll sacrifice all your human rights for money.

• Like 2

I note that these proposals do not apply to UK resident bringing their spouse to the UK.

The requirements of this are draconian already, my last enquiry (last year) revealed that to return to the UK with my spouse I would be required to have £63,000 in the bank or an annual income of in excess of £19,000. Despite owning my own home in the UK valued in excess of £600,000 which is mortgage free, on the income or capital requirements I can not qualify. I wonder how many retirees can. Surely being unable to live with my wife in my country of origin is a Breach of my Human rights to a family life.

This is something being used all the time for criminals to avoid being deported from the UK, yet I am precluded from living out my life in my country of birth with my chosen partner

So you are living on less than 19 grand a year in uk, how do you manage that. Some rules are designed to stop the dole criminals, claiming and doing jobs with cash in hand, or even selling ciggies/drugs etc. If u love her that much get a loan from your big house, easy, stick in ye bank and job done

To be honest if u had a million squid house, all paid for and u cannot show a measly 19k, no wonder they are suspicious

Many of them are students and, I'm told, working legally while on a Student Visa.

Not seen that, but i have seen thais in uk, not even updating their visa, and working in thai restaraunts, or doing cleaning also

I note that these proposals do not apply to UK resident bringing their spouse to the UK.

The requirements of this are draconian already, my last enquiry (last year) revealed that to return to the UK with my spouse I would be required to have £63,000 in the bank or an annual income of in excess of £19,000. Despite owning my own home in the UK valued in excess of £600,000 which is mortgage free, on the income or capital requirements I can not qualify. I wonder how many retirees can. Surely being unable to live with my wife in my country of origin is a Breach of my Human rights to a family life.

This is something being used all the time for criminals to avoid being deported from the UK, yet I am precluded from living out my life in my country of birth with my chosen partner

So you are living on less than 19 grand a year in uk, how do you manage that. Some rules are designed to stop the dole criminals, claiming and doing jobs with cash in hand, or even selling ciggies/drugs etc. If u love her that much get a loan from your big house, easy, stick in ye bank and job done

To be honest if u had a million squid house, all paid for and u cannot show a measly 19k, no wonder they are suspicious

Suspicious about what?

Maybe he's a pensioner, and pensions are not that high in UK.

Doesn't a pensioner also have a human right to live with a partner of his choice in the country of his choice?

• Like 1

Suspicious about what?

Doesn't a pensioner also have a human right to live with a partner of his choice in the country of his choice?

Apensioner on 103 squid a week lol, no, he has no right to bring someone into the country if he cannot take care financialy,should have thought about that when going to Thailand, as a pensioner

Suspicious about what?

The only right he has, is abide by the rules or suffer. i live in Thailand and have to have 800,000 baht in my CURRENT account, when re-applying for another yearly extension. So why should he have it easy

Did you know migrants let into the UK to work can/could claim benefits if their income was to low........facepalm.gif

I thought they had to be in the uk a minimum amount of time

Dunno, read it on I think yahoo news a couple of years back, the figure quoted was 32,000 were claiming. Pisses me off that I paid into a system all my life and can't get a couple of quid a week upgrade on my pension per year cos I am in LOS, but a foreigner, even a Thai, can be given cash when they haven't paid in a lifetime of tax and NI into the UK coffers as l/we have...sad.png

• Like 2

Suspicious about what?

The only right he has, is abide by the rules or suffer. i live in Thailand and have to have 800,000 baht in my CURRENT account, when re-applying for another yearly extension. So why should he have it easy

Not quite the whole truth. Can mix and match cash in bank and income if you want. Money does not need to be in a current account either, mine isn't.