MOBILE REGISTRATION

mercman24

< ... >

Are you registered? Have you tried dialing * 151 # SEND and reading the response?

Never heard of that code. Is it *151# with no spaces, then hitting the "call" button*?

Doing so from my 'phone produces an AIS error message.

*Searching Google for *151# leads me to believe it's a code for a strong version of Barcardi rum. That can't be right.

It's the same USSD code listing previously in this very thread, and several other threads regarding the SIM Registration topic.

Should work, unless your SIM is old and still working on a deprecated AIS network.

< ... >

Are you registered? Have you tried dialing * 151 # SEND and reading the response?

Never heard of that code. Is it *151# with no spaces, then hitting the "call" button*?

*Searching Google for *151# leads me to believe it's a code for a strong version of Barcardi rum. That can't be right.

It's the same USSD code listing previously in this very thread, and several other threads regarding the SIM Registration topic.

Should work, unless your SIM is old and still working on a deprecated AIS network.

I posted this in one of the other threads.

I went into two different DTAC shops with my passport, phone and two sim cards. The first shop, to register, the second shop, to check the registration had been done by the first shop.

The first shop told me I had been registered. The second shop also told me I had been registered. The girl in the second shop even told me the number of my second sim card, so I was definately on the data base. She was not just trying to get me out the door of the shop.

Sometime after, I see a thread on this topic and press *151*9# and the message basically says "registration incomplete."

I have since left Thailand and will not be back until after the deadline.

I would not be surprised if there are a lot of people who have done the right thing by going into a telco shop to register, got told they're registered, but *151*9# will say their registration is incomplete.

On deadline day, there might be a lot unregistered, registered people, like myself. :)

<...>

*151# SEND should be a universal number with Thai Mobile to Carriers to check/verify Prepaid SIM Card NBTC required registration

Though, an earlier ThaiVisa Topic/Thread posted additional numbers:

Started by Jonathan Fairfield, 2015-02-01 06:42 -- 108 replies re: Post #9 re: Post #65

Post #9

True *151#

AIS *141#
dtac *102#
Post #65
To add...
If you do this to dtac (add *9), you will get English. So,Dtac *102*9#
From what I can gather, the NBTC announced the *151# as the check/verify number for all Thai Mobile Carriers on February 4, 58.

So I was curious and asked why every SIM card needs to be registered. The response I got (no kidding):

"It's to prevent terrorists from using mobile phones as remote detonators for their bombs."

Apart from the fact that it doesn't prevent terror attacks but merely helps in finding the suspect. This is a very, very retarded excuse. In fact it makes it easier for terrorists. Just pick pocket a phone from Mr. A, dial the number, detonate the explosive, then reverse pickpocket the phone back to Mr. A. You're hands are clean and Mr. A takes the fall.

Please TVF, tell me it's BS and tell me the real reason why we need to register our SIMS.

I have a question.

I did register but am curious if the Thai authorities have considered that for many of us our passport NUMBER changes when we get a new passport.

...from a way-earlier ThaiVisa Topic/Thread post

My SIM has been registered for ages, just in case I lose the phone. But it was registered using a passport that has since been renewed. So I thought I would pop in to the True shop and get them to update the details and check that everything was in order according to the new law.

They checked my phone and showed me the SMS message saying that it was already registered. I pointed out that the ID number shown was out of date and asked if they could update it.

"Cannot".

Apparently their software can only accept one ID number and there is no facility for changing it later. So I better hang on to my out of date passport, just in case I lose my phone.

Quite how that helps the police to tell who I am if my phone is used for illegal purposes, I dont know.

Interestingly... I used to access my AIS 12Call mobile account via eService and had to supply my Passport number for that feature to work. After my son registered our phones under his Thai ID recently I now have to use his ID to access the eService menu for my phone.

So I was curious and asked why every SIM card needs to be registered. The response I got (no kidding):

"It's to prevent terrorists from using mobile phones as remote detonators for their bombs."

Apart from the fact that it doesn't prevent terror attacks but merely helps in finding the suspect. This is a very, very retarded excuse. In fact it makes it easier for terrorists. Just pick pocket a phone from Mr. A, dial the number, detonate the explosive, then reverse pickpocket the phone back to Mr. A. You're hands are clean and Mr. A takes the fall.

Please TVF, tell me it's BS and tell me the real reason why we need to register our SIMS.

I don't know about the current bout of registration, but preventing terror attacks was exactly the reason for the previous bout a few years ago. However, a few days before the registration deadline they realised the people could buy a 'phone in Malaysia and bring it across the border so cancelled the whole exercise.

The "reverse pickpocket" theory, however, doesn't work, because the 'phone is blown up. The 'phone is linked to the bomb, and when the 'phone is called, the bomb is detonated. And only the stupidest of bomb makers would use a stolen 'phone since someone might call it before the bomb was in place with messy consequences.

I don't know about the current bout of registration, but preventing terror attacks was exactly the reason for the previous bout a few years ago. However, a few days before the registration deadline they realised the people could buy a 'phone in Malaysia and bring it across the border so cancelled the whole exercise.

The "reverse pickpocket" theory, however, doesn't work, because the 'phone is blown up. The 'phone is linked to the bomb, and when the 'phone is called, the bomb is detonated. And only the stupidest of bomb makers would use a stolen 'phone since someone might call it before the bomb was in place with messy consequences.

They still sell sim cards in the mom and pop stores in Vietnam. You could put one in a new and cheap talk and text phone, load it with credit, send the USSD to switch it to global roaming, bring it to Thailand, and it's untraceable. Even more so because it's from a foreign country.

So while Thailand is trying to do the right thing, there is not much point if another country in the region is not.

With the millions of tourists coming to Thailand every year, and most using their phone to keep connected, Thailand is going to have a lot of registered 2 week sim cards. That's a lot of new numbers to be issued, and unused numbers to keep on the network and data base, until they take them off.

How many drunk tourists will lose their phone, or have it stolen? Will they be reissued their original phone number, or just go and register a new number. Will the staff at a 7/11 have access to a data base to know this tourists registered a sim card a few days ago? If so, will they know to ask "What happened to your other number/sim card?" The lost or stolen sim card could still be activated and in use for sometime.

I haven't seen any discussion on unregistering a sim card. Will this be possible? Should someone coming to Thailand for a 2 week holiday unregister their sim card before leaving Thailand?

How many drunk tourists will lose their phone, or have it stolen? Will they be reissued their original phone number, or just go and register a new number

This is possible and one of the positive reasons for registering.

You can't do that at 7/11 of course, but have to go to the provider.

If so, will they know to ask "What happened to your other number/sim card?"

They don't have access to the database (would be a bad joke) and they won't ask you.

There are differing statements on how many SIM cards one individual can register.

Is there a limit of 6 or is it unlimited?

I have a question.

I did register but am curious if the Thai authorities have considered that for many of us our passport NUMBER changes when we get a new passport.

I'm sure they can find out your new passport number based on the previous number you registered with if they ever needed to.

The requirement for SIM registration in the four restive southern provinces remains in force, as does Martial Law, as it has for~ 10 years.

The requirements to register SIMs on other parts of Thailand has more to do with "national security", or as the Junta calls it, "the digital economy", making it easier for the authorities to track down folks who might be spreading rumors. The ISOC has "dirtboxes" and "stingrays"; and the RTP's efforts to get them was interrupted by the Military recently. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/823629-thai-army-interrupts-israeli-demonstration-of-wiretapping-devices-to-special-branch-bureau/

In 2006 every SIM had to be registered, and I think they were successful in this effort? And the NBTC has had this regulation since it was created via the 2007 Constitution; but service providers have been a bit lax, for obvious reasons, in "enforcement".

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/53489-a-reminder-for-all-thaivisa-members/

In 2006 every SIM had to be registered, and I think they were successful in this effort?

Not successful. Policy abandoned a few days before the deadline (and just a day after I'd queued for ages to register my SIM).

How many drunk tourists will lose their phone, or have it stolen? Will they be reissued their original phone number, or just go and register a new number

They don't have access to the database (would be a bad joke) and they won't ask you.

There are differing statements on how many SIM cards one individual can register.

h

Say a tourist arrives, registers a sim card, then gets drunk and loses or has his phone stolen on the first night he is in Thailand.

He goes to a 7/11 with his passport and buys a cheap phone and registers another sim card. He doesn't mention his phone was stolen or lost.

That lost or stolen sim card is floating around somewhere, and may even be sold on the black market, not for the credit left on it, but because it's attactched to someone else's identity.

If the tourist never unregisters the number, or reports it lost or stolen to police or the telco, or both, that sim card in his name, can be used pretty much forever, by anyone.

h

Say a tourist arrives, registers a sim card, then gets drunk and loses or has his phone stolen on the first night he is in Thailand.

He goes to a 7/11 with his passport and buys a cheap phone and registers another sim card. He doesn't mention his phone was stolen or lost.

That lost or stolen sim card is floating around somewhere, and may even be sold on the black market, not for the credit left on it, but because it's attactched to someone else's identity.

If the tourist never unregisters the number, or reports it lost or stolen to police or the telco, or both, that sim card in his name, can be used pretty much forever, by anyone.

Only if the new person that has possession keeps topping up the credit balance as I assume that once the validity period has expired the number would become unregistered.

There are some random reports that people are being prevented from adding value to their SIM, if it is not registered.

I maintain DTAC, AIS and TrueMove H SIMs for friends who visit frequently; their SIMs are not yet registered. I added value to each this morning (10/12 baht for 30 days at top-up machine outside 7/11).