Bangkok is really expensive..Some tips how to save more money?

thaichalina

Onto 7 pages now and the OP hasnt yet returned, LOL.

It had occurred to me that it was a troll post. What do these jerks get from asking advice when they have no intention of taking it, or even checking the thread again??

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP your problem is NOT how to reduce your cost of living, because you are NOT LIVING you are just EXISTING.

As others have said you need to increase your income to meet your expenses.

I am more concerned about posters tips on how to cut costs and reduce spending. NO popcorn, NO cake, No whatever. You put even the Cheap Charles to shame. Do you guys really live this life ?

OP continue to enjoy the things you like, but top of your list must be to find a new job.

hi gracas, so you think, 80% of all thais, who live with less than 20k baht a month, are not living, but just existing?

most likely, and here is the reason why...., they are not living on 20k or less, that's their pay/salary they get in their piggy banks every month

but one suspects the vast majority have also taken out loans/cars/houses on terms have credit cards maxed to the hilt, personal loans, loans off other family members etc, so the amount they need to live is significantly higher...therefore yes they are just existing...one pay check to the next a bit like a lot of people in farangistan

This whole living on THB 20k or less thing is a complete red herring

for example how does someone afford the newest I-phone....priced at +/- THB 24,000, when one is only paid THB 20k/m ?

Onto 7 pages now and the OP hasnt yet returned, LOL.

It had occurred to me that it was a troll post. What do these jerks get from asking advice when they have no intention of taking it, or even checking the thread again??

Watch the bickering masses argue amongst themselves about the 'right' amount to spend each month and then blah blah teachers, khao san road, get rid GF .... it's all LOLs!

Ho ho ho, guess Santas come to town. If your Thai "friend" gets the apartment or condo in her name it's cheaper, if she buys your food it's cheaper, but at the end of the day that's a lousy wage, that is what lowly English teachers were getting a month 15 years ago . I suggest you find another job, whoever you're working for is ripping you off

no they weren't. they were getting more.

universities were paying at least 25k back then.

when i came to thailand in 1996 a motivated teacher could pull down 70-80k (good months) a month with a base job of about 14 teaching hours, then private classes and tutoring building on your univeristy cred.

cost of living was far cheaper as well.

Alas the market soon flooded and it was very much time to move on to IT.

Edited by HooHaa

A teacher bought me five pints of Heineken last night.

I like teachers. Hehe.

Being the cynical boy that I am, my question, what was he after?

Heinies at some dump in Lower Suk at 100 baht per pint, he probably thought of it more as an investment.

One reason i stopped visiting that dump, would sit and listen to the stories, it was all Hunky Dory, Thailand is great, great salary etc.

I have lost count the number of times I have been approached in toilets (yes piss yourself laughing), usually goes something like this,

'scuse me mate, didnt want to say anything in front of the others, dont want them to know my plans, but any jobs going?

Give me your card and I will see what I can do.

Out comes some grubby KSR knock off, first look, wheres your degree?

Back to join the session, matey boy stays quiet.

Got to laugh at Bkk, where everyone can reinvent themselves.

Double glazing salemen are now known as marketing executives.

Second hand car dealers are now know as business dealers.

Why bother going on.

I like teachers. Hehe.

Wouldn't this be your scariest moment while living in Thailand ?...whistling.gif

Old friend....point is they are not all on 30k a month.

Yeah the TEFLrs dream to land some imaginary gig paying 100k per month, LOL.

I like teachers. Hehe.

Heinies at some dump in Lower Suk at 100 baht per pint, he probably thought of it more as an investment.

One reason i stopped visiting that dump, would sit and listen to the stories, it was all Hunky Dory, Thailand is great, great salary etc.

I have lost count the number of times I have been approached in toilets (yes piss yourself laughing), usually goes something like this,

'scuse me mate, didnt want to say anything in front of the others, dont want them to know my plans, but any jobs going?

Why bother going on.

To be fair though one could also say the same about a big shot like your dear self ? I once heard a very wise man tell me his Thai gf was different .......?

I like teachers. Hehe.

Why bother going on.

To be fair though one could also say the same about a big shot like your dear self ? I once heard a very wise man tell me his Thai gf was different .......?

You may well be correct, I dont have a Thai girlfriend.

To be honest mate I don't mind a person reinventing theirselves , we are all a product of our environments . Nothing wrong with trying to better yourself ? I don't dig the bs but then again I'm the first to expand the truth in a job interview !! Got any jobs going by the way ?!?

To be honest mate I don't mind a person reinventing theirselves , we are all a product of our environments . Nothing wrong with trying to better yourself ? I don't dig the bs but then again I'm the first to expand the truth in a job interview !! Got any jobs going by the way ?!?

I have the impression you are more qualified and capable of finding a job yourself without the need of any help from a non PC dinosaur like myself.

I am liking your style of posting, keep up the good work, will keep my eyes peeled for future posts, dont let standards slip.

Bangkok is hard or just passable for thai locals. Most live in multi member dwellings, make some money and get out of dodge back to the countryside, rinse and repeat.

You could do this too if you stop hanging out in fancy movie theaters eating candy and popcorn.

Also ditch the gf. Those guys on the corner typically fly stag.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are only earning 20k and I am assuming that you are a Filipino if you are only earning 20k, if you are a proper farang then you need a new job.

I don't think you should be spending 7k a month on a condo that's nearly half of your salary

Glad you are not my accountant.

By my calculations the condo cost is closer to 30% of his income and yes, thats only slightly cheaper than what you'd expect in the west.

you can go out in the suburbs and pay 2500.

To add to your post, i think a "proper farang" should at least have some form of income stream from his own country. If your relying foot to mouth on a Thai monthly income with no backup, you have no business being here.IMO

of course, improper farangs who happen to be asian or phillipino can get away with it, but the white improper ones referred to as "farang kee-nok" living here skinflint is a pretty sad state of affairs.

edit: improper grammar :0)

1) I'm glad I am not associated with you in any shape, way or form in real life. Your horrible attitude towards people is very evident from a single post.

2) Plenty of farang here earning 50 - 150k a month doing just fine, maybe you need income from back home to finance drink/drugs/women/rubbish property I wouldn't know. Myself and my wife both work and we do just fine raising our family.

3) Anyone who has lived in Thailand and knows this country knows that Thais NEVER EVER EVER refer to fellow Asians as "farang"

Want to save money-

don't pay for meals even on the street- cook your own.

Bakeries should be the last place to buy food at any price.

Buy a jar of coffee at a supermarket- why the **** would you pay someone to add hot water to ground beans?

Why are you even mentioning fast food chains- an expensive food option in Thailand unlike the west where it's cheap food.

Shouldn't be going to cinemas- buy cheap DVDs.

Prices have only gone up significantly in Thailand for western style food. I ate local food in 1992 for 20 baht and now the same meal would cost 30 baht.

Just for some background information - below is how overall prices in Thailand have actually gone up quite a bit. Per the Consumer Price Index

1970 = 14.8

1980 = 37.4

1990 = 57.5

2000 = 89.3

2005 = 100

2010 = 115.5

I think this is pretty equal to other countries, so the warning about the value of money decreasing over time is very valid in Thailand.

Living on 20k/month is pretty much poverty level....but guess what, you're not alone. Of the 67 million people who live in Thailand officially there are 10 million people living at that level.

Per Capita income in Thailand was in 2012 $5,210.

http://www.th.undp.org/content/thailand/en/home/countryinfo.html

But take heart....Thai people are communal in nature so families live together .....ie ...Grandpa, Grandma, Ma, and Pa and all the children often live under the same roof contributing.

good luck though living on that amount of money as my electric bill alone last month was 10,000 baht.

10,000 a month for electricity? you might want to close some windows when the air is on.

It's quite cool now in Chiang Mai...mostly 22 to 29 degrees fro the last week. Our bill is now down below 2000. Your electricity is costing you more than 90 percent of the people in New York State (they send out that kind of notification).

Agree that 20,000 is not enough to have any kind of decent life here...if that is the only income in the house. Poster may want to find ways to increase his income..(possibly working back home?)

two extremes...for sure...

Edited by slipperylobster

Living on 20k/month is pretty much poverty level....but guess what, you're not alone. Of the 67 million people who live in Thailand officially there are 10 million people living at that level.

Per Capita income in Thailand was in 2012 $5,210.

http://www.th.undp.org/content/thailand/en/home/countryinfo.html

But take heart....Thai people are communal in nature so families live together .....ie ...Grandpa, Grandma, Ma, and Pa and all the children often live under the same roof contributing.

good luck though living on that amount of money as my electric bill alone last month was 10,000 baht.

10,000 a month for electricity? you might want to close some windows when the air is on.

It's quite cool now in Chiang Mai...mostly 22 to 29 degrees this week. Our bill is now down below 2000. Your electricity is costing you more than 90 percent of the people in New York State (they send out that kind of notification).

Agree that 20,000 is not enough to have any kind of decent life here...if that is the only income in the house. Poster may want to find ways to increase his income..(possibly working back home?).

I would think 40,000 would be the least amount of money a single guy would want. Married with a preschooler kid would be double that (80,000). Sure, if you want a huge house and the mercedes...you would be wanting more than 100,000, minimum. (large family with several international schools and a few cars)

Edited by soundman
Quote tags