Bangkok is really expensive..Some tips how to save more money?

thaichalina

It sounds like a few people are working illegally in Thailand. My understanding was that to obtain a work permit, the minimum legal salary was 50,000 Baht per month.

On the minimum salary you should be able to survive in Bangkok.

There is a foreigner selling sausages from a cart opp Sarasas School at klong suan, Thais think it's a novelty and don't know that the guy is breaking the law, rather him than me.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living on 20k/month is pretty much poverty level....but guess what, you're not alone. Of the 67 million people who live in Thailand officially there are 10 million people living at that level.

Per Capita income in Thailand was in 2012 $5,210.

http://www.th.undp.org/content/thailand/en/home/countryinfo.html

But take heart....Thai people are communal in nature so families live together .....ie ...Grandpa, Grandma, Ma, and Pa and all the children often live under the same roof contributing.

good luck though living on that amount of money as my electric bill alone last month was 10,000 baht.

GOOD GRIEF. If my elec bill was over 2,000 a month I'd be wondering what the h*ll was going on, and I run an AC in the bedroom most days ( but not when sleeping ).

To the OP, on your budget what are you doing going to the movies????????

Cheap DVD players are in places like Big C, and last time I looked good DVDs were 100 baht.

20,000 baht a month in Bangkok seems a bit of a tight budget definitely. To all those jumping on the OP's case though, it is perfectly possible to live cheaply and still have a reasonably satisfying life, particularly if you're younger and just trying to experience life somewhere different. Not everyone needs to have a car, spend money in trendy bars and have all the latest expensive gadgets to be happy.

When I was a young man I lived in Bangkok on a budget of about 20,000 a month (granted that was over 20 years ago and things were definitely cheaper) and had a blast! Same lifestyle now would probably cost me double that but the point is you can live on a lot less than huge amounts some people seem to think are necessary and still have a decent life.

I'm using mrt bus and bts as taxies are too damn expensive,

eating a piece of cake in central mall+some fruit shake can cost 150baht+. Not to mention eating some kfc and similar.

There's where you are going wrong for a start. Shouldn't be using BTS, just bus and certainly shouldn't be eating in Central Mall or fast food places. If you have a Thai income and want to have a western lifestyle you are doomed.

Shouldn't have a GF either, unless going Dutch.

I love it that Farangs must live in BKK because they're so sophisticated. But they have no idea BKK is so expensive.

By the way, right outside Central mall, you can buy 40B noodle soup, 555

Just down the road from my house is a restaurant that sells a big box of fried rice chicken for 60 baht- enough for 4 meals ( used to be 50 baht last year ). Good food too.

There are good deals on food all over if you look. I even found a Thai restaurant on Soi Buakhao in Pattaya that had meals for 40 baht.

As long as this a short term experience in your youth....cool. could learn a lot. Eye of the Tiger kinda thing.....HOWEVER, if you are sqaundering your highest income years on being here, Well......then your an idiot.[/

quote]

Agree completely with Nickj....You make your money from about 30 on. Biggest paydays are maybe 40 on. Money made in your home country.

Exceptions of course. I worked hard made way more than enough and live here and just travel. I admire young people living here and traveling. However the big picture needs to be considered. I'm not jealous ...good on you. Point is some fall in love maybe even become a parent and think they can scratch out a life here..

Good plan. NOT!

Edited by jacksam

how can you afford a girlfriend ??? so many farang here are wasting their lives cos they don't want to go back to there own country and get a proper job. eventuality like most farang you will have to go back home by that time you will be too old to get a good job and end up on state benefit and wishing to had got your act together when you were younger.

do yourself a favor and back home and make something of our life then come back.

You write as if living in Thailand is a pinnacle of achievement only attainable after a life of toil and sacrifice.

Work your fingers to the bone and then, finally, after 30+ years, you can come back and "live the dream"; paying a 20-something to sleep with you, knocking out kids at 65, bitching about dual pricing and carping about having to report to immigration every 90 days Blow that crap

OP stay, get a better job and live NOW, while you're young. Save money here because by the time YOU retire, the baht will be at parity with the USD, GBP and EUR. People in those countries will be working for the Chinese and the Brazilians

The funniest part is dump your gf you can't afford her ????? Hajaha when giving advice like that it really shows a lot about your relationship !! If you need to act Jonny big bawllls to keep her then you really are a loser at epic proportions

how can you afford a girlfriend ??? so many farang here are wasting their lives cos they don't want to go back to there own country and get a proper job. eventuality like most farang you will have to go back home by that time you will be too old to get a good job and end up on state benefit and wishing to had got your act together when you were younger.

do yourself a favor and back home and make something of our life then come back.

You write as if living in Thailand is a pinnacle of achievement only attainable after a life of toil and sacrifice.

Work your fingers to the bone and then, finally, after 30+ years, you can come back and "live the dream"; paying a 20-something to sleep with you, knocking out kids at 65, bitching about dual pricing and carping about having to report to immigration every 90 days Blow that crap

OP stay, get a better job and live NOW, while you're young. Save money here because by the time YOU retire, the baht will be at parity with the USD, GBP and EUR. People in those countries will be working for the Chinese and the Brazilians

Yes, C.H., you make quiet a point, I agree; about parity, who knows, anyway, who knows what will be in 20 or 30 years? And about affording a GF; there are not only bargirls out there, some ladies have a descent job and don't rely on their partners purses.

Yes, C.H., you make quiet a point, I agree; about parity, who knows, anyway, who knows what will be in 20 or 30 years? And about affording a GF; there are not only bargirls out there, some ladies have a descent job and don't rely on their partners purses.

Indeed they do.

I live in Asoke and 5 minutes in T21, Exchange Tower or Interchange shows you countless, attractive women with normal jobs and lives that couldn't be further from those of the women they seem to end up "helping" or paying monthly allowances to

I think the reason so many posters are so dismissive about the OP's 20,000 budget is because it doesn't appear to leave room for supporting a girlfriend/wife with a monthly stipend.

Believe it or not, not everyone has to pay for company especially when they're younger.

Working for the Brazilians as what? Football players????post-4641-1156694572.gif

Edited by tailspin

I'm using mrt bus and bts as taxies are too damn expensive,

eating a piece of cake in central mall+some fruit shake can cost 150baht+. Not to mention eating some kfc and similar.

There's where you are going wrong for a start. Shouldn't be using BTS, just bus and certainly shouldn't be eating in Central Mall or fast food places. If you have a Thai income and want to have a western lifestyle you are doomed.

Shouldn't have a GF either, unless going Dutch.

id say he was going wrong when he didnt find a better or second job.

OP your problem is NOT how to reduce your cost of living, because you are NOT LIVING you are just EXISTING.

As others have said you need to increase your income to meet your expenses.

I am more concerned about posters tips on how to cut costs and reduce spending. NO popcorn, NO cake, No whatever. You put even the Cheap Charles to shame. Do you guys really live this life ?

OP continue to enjoy the things you like, but top of your list must be to find a new job.

No bro, but sometimes when you have shitty finances you gotta learn how to be frugal!

You talk like the cost cutting is bad and you assume that spending more money causes you to 'live'. I, however, disagree fullheartedly. One who spends less but still has food, shelter, friends and family can self actualize by learning about who they are, forming their opinions on the world and becoming a better person.

So really it is me who is concerned about your philosophy on life, or atleast your portrayal of it.

20,000 baht a month in Bangkok seems a bit of a tight budget definitely. To all those jumping on the OP's case though, it is perfectly possible to live cheaply and still have a reasonably satisfying life, particularly if you're younger and just trying to experience life somewhere different. Not everyone needs to have a car, spend money in trendy bars and have all the latest expensive gadgets to be happy.

When I was a young man I lived in Bangkok on a budget of about 20,000 a month (granted that was over 20 years ago and things were definitely cheaper) and had a blast! Same lifestyle now would probably cost me double that but the point is you can live on a lot less than huge amounts some people seem to think are necessary and still have a decent life.

Our budget is about 25k a month and that includes running a car and insurance and petrol. Of course things like health care and buying new stuff, travel and so on are not included, just the basics. It's amazing how much I have left after not drinking for a while- that's where a lot of the money went. We go to the pictures now and then have True, and go to many (free) concerts. Can't imagine what people spend 40-50k a month on, women?

Ho ho ho, guess Santas come to town. If your Thai "friend" gets the apartment or condo in her name it's cheaper, if she buys your food it's cheaper, but at the end of the day that's a lousy wage, that is what lowly English teachers were getting a month 15 years ago . I suggest you find another job, whoever you're working for is ripping you off

Living on 20k/month is pretty much poverty level....but guess what, you're not alone. Of the 67 million people who live in Thailand officially there are 10 million people living at that level.

But take heart....Thai people are communal in nature so families live together .....ie ...Grandpa, Grandma, Ma, and Pa and all the children often live under the same roof contributing.

good luck though living on that amount of money as my electric bill alone last month was 10,000 baht.

I would have thought that there was a lot more than 10 million people in Thailand living on less than 20,000 Baht a month

I would have thought that there was a lot more than 10 million people in Thailand living on less than 20,000 Baht a month

Well....per the article cited....the per capita income was 16,000 Baht in 2012. Not sure it's much higher in 2015. So YES. you're right "More than 10 million people in Thailand living on less that 20,000 Baht a month". Article only indicates % of people living below poverty level (12.6%) .

A Thai only making that amount is not going to spend money at KFC or Malls to any extent and likely living with a combined income of more or at home with family. Costs are not high in Bangkok for most things (and taxis are included in that - very cheap in relation to most countries). 20K is a very small income, especially if an expat without family support options. At 100 baht a day for food you cook yourself expect it is not what most Thai would be eating (they could likely eat out every meal for that amount).

As mentioned a higher income might be first priority - Chiang Mai might be a bit cheaper for living as an alternative.

Agreed: I'm in Chiang Mai. My power bill was 790 baht. Fans don't cost much to run! I think the large fridge/freezer uses most.

Transport around the city is 20baht. Drivers will ask for 40baht but wave them off.

I DO NOT eat at fast food places, nor buy 1000% mark-up at cinemas on popcorn.

Chicken and pork is economical, and I cook myself, using pkt sauces which sadly are not available here in Chiang Mai. A shopping trip in KL once in a while in transit fixes that. Market prices are good here.

Internet TV (Thai EXpatTV) is 600 baht a month, payable quarterly, 3BB wi-fi is 660baht.

Eat out at once a month at a quality restaurant next door is around 500baht.

Not spending too much on the usual 'luxuries".

Couldn't you get a decent job in your own country that you had to move here and work for 20 000 Baht a month???? People usually come here to enjoy life and not to work and struggle. May be time to consider your move.

Agreed 100%

Why struggle in Thai with no prospects

It'll be a hard lonely frugal life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like a few people are working illegally in Thailand. My understanding was that to obtain a work permit, the minimum legal salary was 50,000 Baht per month.

On the minimum salary you should be able to survive in Bangkok.

Then your understanding is totally wrong. Immigration impose the salary limits (which change country to country) for extensions of stay, not the labour office for your work permit.

Different rules also apply in the educational world as well.

Edited by chrisinth

The 50.000 Baht rule is still effective for foreigners from Europe and Australia, Canada, Japan, the United States of America. Other countries - other amounts.

more concerning is the fact that in the case that your are a 50.000 Baht candidate but paid only 20.000 Baht by the employer, social security and your personal income tax is based on 50.000 Baht !

in case you are a first year WP holder and your employer is not just <deleted>...ing you but also the revenue department than good luck when you have to apply for a WP extension and they ask for your income tax records from the previous year.

Better save up some extra funds to clear that !

Anyway, it is for me still a miracle how someone can have a somehow decent life with 20K a month.

I moved to TH when I was 30 - 17 Years ago !. Had a high income in my home country and a pretty good living standard.

My promise to myself and my priority throughout the years was first to keep this standard, increase it regularly or go back home.

So far I am still here!

20.000K , thats what I need for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner when I am in BKK. 16-18 Days a month. And 20k more for the Weekends with wife and kid.

Cheers

20.000K , thats what I need for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner when I am in BKK. 16-18 Days a month. And 20k more for the Weekends with wife and kid.

Cheers

Oh you must feel like such a legend.

Wow, 20K on meals you Rockefeller, you rolleyes.gif

Who cares what your individual budget for food is? Does spending more money automatically equate to a better life in your book?

Cheers

Who cares what your individual budget for food is? Does spending more money automatically equate to a better life in your book?

He's just making the point that if you can afford to go where you want using any form of transport and eat and drink in the same way life is much easier.

But then its the same in any city.

20k Baht a month is very low regardless....I could live on it....but I wouldn't choose to due to the restrictions on lifestyle.

Tough....that's why most on here are saying get a better job....the OP is surviving on 20k Baht so at double that he should be comfortable indeed.

Cheers

Tough....that's why most on here are saying get a better job....

Including myself in an earlier post but what's the point of showing how far up the wall you can pi55?

"Save money here because by the time YOU retire, the baht will be at parity with the USD, GBP and EUR. People in those countries will be working for the Chinese and the Brazilians"

Do you live in a gumdrop castle? Fantasyland.

When America sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold. When America crashed in 2008, China plunged. They threw so much money into their economy, and it still hasn't recovered.

The only reason the Thai economy is booming now, is cheap money from the US being invested in real estate. That will end some day and the Thai economy will crash...

"Save money here because by the time YOU retire, the baht will be at parity with the USD, GBP and EUR. People in those countries will be working for the Chinese and the Brazilians"

Do you live in a gumdrop castle? Fantasyland.

When America sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold. When America crashed in 2008, China plunged. They threw so much money into their economy, and it still hasn't recovered.

The only reason the Thai economy is booming now, is cheap money from the US being invested in real estate. That will end some day and the Thai economy will crash...

That's your opinion. It's an opinion consistent with a brainwashed mope who hasn't got a Scooby Doo about economics but I'm not going to skew the thread picking it apart.