Bangkok lacks THE WILL to make peace in deep South

Lite Beer

COMMENT
Bangkok lacks THE WILL to make peace in deep South
DON PATHAN
SPECIAL TO THE NATION
YALA

BANGKOK: -- A LONG-STANDING CULTURE OF IMPUNITY AMONG SECURITY FORCES IS PREVENTING THE LATEST PUSH FOR PEACE FROM GAINING TRACTION

More than a year after seizing power, our latest crop of junta officials have come face to face with separatist leaders in what are being billed as "pre-talks" - a stepping stone to formal peace negotiations in the far South.

Senior leaders from the self-styled MARA Patani umbrella organisation - which comprises several long-standing separatist groups, including the Patani United Liberation Organisation (PULO), Gerakan Mujahideen Islam Pattani (GMIP) and Barisan Islam Pembebasan Patani (BIPP) plus a handful of people who claim to be members of the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) - met with the Thai chief negotiator Lt-General Aksara Kherdphol and his team in Malaysia on June 8. The two sides had met previously for a "pre-talks" session in April.

A young cadre from the BRN, Sukri Hari, was present at the first meeting, but sources said his participation in no way constitutes BRN endorsement for the peace initiative with the Thais.

Sources in the movement said Sukri believes he can help locate common ground between MARA Patani and the BRN, which has so far ruled out any direct talks with the current government. The BRN controls the vast majority of separatist combatants, thus making their participation vital if any peace initiative is to win success.

As for Team Thailand, courting Sukri could pay off in the long run if he can succeed where MARA Patani failed - by convincing the genuine BRN leadership to join the peace process.

In other words, Sukri's participation could be much more important than the participation of self-proclaimed BRN leaders such as Awang Jabat and Tok Imam Haleng, both of whom are prominent members in the MARA Patani forum but were conspicuously absent from the June 8 meeting.

Sukri cannot be allowed to shine too brightly, however. The former teacher is a fugitive facing arrest warrants on charges of treason. He fled Thailand in 2007 along with seven of his colleagues from Thamvithya Mulnithi School in Yala after they were granted bail under the then-government of Surayud Chulanont.

Unless the charges against him are dropped, putting Sukri on a pedestal could prove to be a legal and diplomatic disaster. And there is no guarantee that this young member can change the mindset of the BRN old guard.

Though the June 8 pre-talks were not formal negotiations, and not all of the MARA Patani groups were present, the Thai side did ask the separatist leaders at the meeting if they could get the combatants to curb their activities during the month of Ramadan.

The separatist leaders did not commit themselves, saying it was too early to be making deals, according to a Thai intelligence officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

However, a BRN operative said there would be no escalation of attacks or straying beyond the usual targets of security officials as long as the Thai side did not violate the rules of engagement - by, for example, targeting religious leaders.

The participants at the June 8 meeting couldn't accede to such a request even if they wanted to, because they don't control the combatants, the BRN source added.

Similar discrepancies also exist on the Thai side, between policymakers and the security agencies on the ground.

BRN operatives often point to the target killing of Imam Abdullateh Todir - a member of the Yala Islamic Committee and an imam in Yala's Yaha district - as a prime example of the disunity among the Thai security agencies.

Abdullateh was shot dead by a pro-government death squad in November 2012. An attempt on his life earlier that year failed but cost his daughter her life.

After the failed assassination, Thai Special Forces provided him with a security detail. The Army saw him as a potential go-between for the authorities and the insurgent fighters.

But another agency didn't see it that way, believing instead that he was too close to the insurgents. And when the Special Forces became complacent, a couple of gunmen pounced.

Abdullateh lived in Tambon Patae, an extremely "red" area in Yaha district. His killing triggered an unprecedented spike in violence that lasted six weeks.

A few months later the Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre (SBPAC) failed to get the provincial Islamic committees to endorse peace negotiations launched on February 28, 2013. Clerics refused to endorse the initiative, having witnessed one of their own gunned down by what they said was a pro-government death squad.

The BRN says Thai security agencies' old attitudes and standard operating procedures haven't changed. The culture of impunity among the officials makes it difficult for them to take anything from Bangkok seriously, they say.

Nevertheless, the BRN has not ruled out talking to the Thai side, but will do so only on its own terms and when it is ready.

For the time being, it doesn't see any real commitment or seriousness from the current Bangkok government and believes that "peace process" is an empty phrase designed for domestic and international consumption.

The culture of impunity aside, the current structure of the Thai negotiating and policy team for the South is also problematic.

On the surface, many ministries and agencies are represented at the policy level and on the dialogue panel.

Top officials from the Foreign Ministry, Justice Ministry, Internal Security Operation Command, National Intelligence Agency, National Security Council, and the Army sit on the policy forum, and their subordinates are represented on the dialogue panel, which is headed by chief negotiator Lt-General Aksara.

But judging from the meeting in mid-May between Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and top bureaucrats from these ministries and agencies, it appears that these representatives are more interested in protecting their constituencies than in exploring creative ideas to support peace and negotiations.

Prayut is averse to the idea of MARA Patani because, in the view of the Foreign Ministry, it could lead to an internationalising of the deep South conflict.

Thai officials are often reminded how the now-defunct separatist umbrella group Bersatu helped garner political and financial support from Muslim countries in the Middle East.

Besides the worry over "internationalising" the conflict, there are concerns that the draft constitution doesn't permit the Kingdom to be divided.

PM Prayut may not like the idea of MARA Patani, but the real issue is whether this separatist forum can evolve into something meaningful that attracts support and legitimacy from the Malays of Patani and the international community.

Moreover, no government wants to debate with a foreign entity on the legitimacy of the Thai state in the Malays' historical homeland, much less the culture of impunity and the human rights violations committed against local Muslims over the past few decades.

When the previous wave of separatist militants went under in the 1990s, Bangkok governments stepped up their diplomacy to cut off their support from Arab and Muslim countries.

The Chuan Leekpai government even secured permanent observer status for Thailand at the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation in order to block these separatist movements from obtaining a seat in the forum and consequently diplomatic support.

Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia - friendly Muslim countries in Southeast Asia - endorsed Thailand's quest, which Bangkok took as a stamp of approval for how Thailand treats its Muslim minority.

Today, a stamp of approval seems the last thing on Thai authorities' mind, with anti-Muslim sentiment in and around the country continuing unabated, especially in Nan province where residents are campaigning against a plan to build a local mosque. They claim that an Islamic place of worship could turn their community into another conflict zone like the Patani region.

But separatist movements, particularly the BRN, say it's a different kind of fight nowadays. Combatants on the ground no longer depend on foreign donors since local villagers now provide intelligence, logistical support and supplies to sustain militant cells.

Thai officials often pay lip service to the idea of winning hearts and minds in deep-South communities but seem to have little insight on how to achieve this task.

If anybody has sway over the combatants' rules of engagement, said one BRN operative, it is the local villagers.

He said the militants' decision to end the practice of mutilating Thai soldiers' corpses, as well as ceasing attacks on public schools, was influenced by the villagers.

For the time being, the immediate challenge for the self-proclaimed MARA Patani is convincing the BRN that there is merit in coming to the table to talk, Thai officials said.

But like everything else in this conflict, that's easier said than done, especially when Bangkok is not willing to make any concessions.

DON PATHAN is a security analyst and development consultant based in Yala, Thailand. He is also the founding member of the Patani Forum (www.pataniforum.com).

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Bangkok-lacks-THE-WILL-to-make-peace-in-deep-South-30263252.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-27

I hate to say this ... and I pray it doesn't happen ... but it may be only a matter of time until ISIS and/or the like starts a much increased campaign of terror in Thailand. Not only in the south, but also in Bangkok. Imagine a large bomb going off in Nana Plaza (a likely spot) and the death of hundreds. Maybe then the present government will get serious about settling the conflict in Thailand's south.

I hate to say this ... and I pray it doesn't happen ... but it may be only a matter of time until ISIS and/or the like starts a much increased campaign of terror in Thailand. Not only in the south, but also in Bangkok. Imagine a large bomb going off in Nana Plaza (a likely spot) and the death of hundreds. Maybe then the present government will get serious about settling the conflict in Thailand's south.

...and then it's too late. Bangkok has never had the interest nor the will, as mentioned. Moreover, Bangkok doesn't comprehend what's going on and therefore unable to seriously, make progress in the South. The main interest is to build as many temples, as possible.

There will be Farangs who will say it would/will never happen, and apologists said the same thing about Tunisia, it can't happen here, we're a moderate country !!

There is 6 months left of the year, the PM and his fellow Junta leaders stated the insurgency in the South will be over by the end of 2015.

These statements will come back to haunt them in 2016

Absolute complete nonsense. Fear mongering to the extreme. Shame on you.

Why can an army of 440 000 men not win a war against 9 000 rag tag terrorists ? When one answer this question, the light switch are flipped on and everything becomes clear.

I come from southern africa and there was a war once in Angola. This war continued for decades. Initialy the South Africans supported the one army and the Cubans/Russians the other army. After the fall of the USSR and South Africa's withdrawl from Namibia the war changed. Each army became a group of war lords that fought over the diamond mines. Group A's army will control a mine and sell diamonds. The proceeds will be split between the groups war lord and his masters/government. But the war lord will also use some of the money to buy more soldiers and guns. Group B will then attack the mine and take control of it and do the same. Not one of the warlords/generals was ever interested in winning the war because they were becoming very rich from the war.

I sometimes wonder the south don't have diamonds but .........

Personally I don't think BKK has the slightest clue on what to do re' the south..and they certainly do not have an iota of anti terrorist measures should something suddenly come up...they wouldn't know what to dio and would be running scared should an event take place...If they had their peices in place, they would have taken care of this a long time ago...They have nothing and have no idea where to begin.

...and then it's too late. Bangkok has never had the interest nor the will, as mentioned. Moreover, Bangkok doesn't comprehend what's going on and therefore unable to seriously, make progress in the South. The main interest is to build as many temples, as possible.

You and many others, just projecting their own lack of will, Spirit. Take a nap, you'll feel better.

I didn't say it's inevitable. But "absolute complete nonsense"?? Are you a pathological optimist or do you never read/hear/watch the news in the past few years? Or the news in the past two days? Why is Thailand immune, in your eyes?

Edited by HerbalEd

The military are simply not interested. It gets in the way of their two core activities, personal enrichment and the pursuit of, and ensuring that they hang onto, political power,

Most of the military operations have been contracted out to various local militias, rangers and so on. As long as it remains confined to the deep south, and doesn't impinge upon their Bangkok centered activities they really don't care. I suspect that they are far more concerned with keeping the lid on The North and Issan.

Edited by JAG

So, it's the Thai government's fault that Muslim religious fanatics who have a religious agenda that precludes any other religion to be on equal status with their agenda. So they can indiscriminately kill and terrorize all non-Muslims to promote their agenda?

But on the other side, I personally would cut the three lower provinces off completely and allow them autonomy, and then if the stupidity crept any further north, I'd put the heel of the boot on the entire affair. What an utterly screwed up religious philosphy of hate, death, and carnage that has somehow worked it's way into the modern world. It's as if we, as a world community, still condoned the Roman-Catholic inquisition of torture on the basis of religious belief. Where does this violence have a place in a modern, civilized world - it does not. It's a 13th century aberration that needs to be ended.

You, like most of the sheep common folk, don't have a clue, and never will.

So, it's the Thai government's fault that Muslim religious fanatics who have a religious agenda that precludes any other religion to be on equal status with their agenda. So they can indiscriminately kill and terrorize all non-Muslims to promote their agenda?

But on the other side, I personally would cut the three lower provinces off completely and allow them autonomy, and then if the stupidity crept any further north, I'd put the heel of the boot on the entire affair. What an utterly screwed up religious philosphy of hate, death, and carnage that has somehow worked it's way into the modern world. It's as if we, as a world community, still condoned the Roman-Catholic inquisition of torture on the basis of religious belief. Where does this violence have a place in a modern, civilized world - it does not. It's a 13th century aberration that needs to be ended.

The problem in the south has very little to do with Muslim religious fanatics and a lot to do with the people of the south being unwillingly annexed into Thailand. My fear is that their desire for a separate state ... or becoming citizens of their sister Muslim state of Malaysia ... will enable mad radicals like ISIS to radicalize them into greatly increased violence and terrorism that will spread way beyond the south and into major cities like Bangkok and Chang Mai. Perhaps this can be avoided, but only "IF" the Thai government actually made a sincere and wise effort to remedy the situation. However, so far they've failed miserably.

As to your "heel of the boot" tactic goes: So far how has that tactic worked out in Iraq, Syria, etc.?

Edited by HerbalEd

You, like most of the sheep common folk, don't have a clue, and never will.

So does this mean you are not one of the "common folk" and you have the answers? Please share your wisdom. The world ... and we commoners ... needs your help desperately.

Edited by HerbalEd

Bangkok lacks THE WILL to make peace in the deep South”

Bangkok is not willing to make any concessions.”

Bangkok is not an organization and its use seems to be an attempt to sterilize the discussion about failure of peace talk under the Prayut regime.

If in the above Bangkok is replaced with The Royal Thai Military you have a much more meaningful analysis, albeit at the risk of an "invitation" to meet with the NCPO. And therein lies part of the problem on the military's failed strategy with the insurgents.

Would that be be the WILL to hand over a big slab of your country? Ever heard of the Sudetenland?

Or would that be the WILL to refuse to give in to the demands of terrorists, policy of many countries?

It hasn't been a part of Thailand for very long ... historically speaking. How would you feel if your country was annexed and you were forced to be part of another country?

Bangkok lacks THE WILL to make peace in the deep South”

Bangkok is not willing to make any concessions.”

Bangkok is not an organization and its use seems to be an attempt to sterilize the discussion about failure of peace talk under the Prayut regime.

If in the above Bangkok is replaced with The Royal Thai Military you have a much more meaningful analysis, albeit at the risk of an "invitation" to meet with the NCPO. And therein lies part of the problem on the military's failed strategy with the insurgents.

Bangkok is an expression for the Thai government. Should the current government copy the actions of the prior, and send Chalerm to Malaysia to get rat-faced and stagger around impressing the shit out of his hosts?

Why can an army of 440 000 men not win a war against 9 000 rag tag terrorists ? When one answer this question, the light switch are flipped on and everything becomes clear.

I come from southern africa and there was a war once in Angola. This war continued for decades. Initialy the South Africans supported the one army and the Cubans/Russians the other army. After the fall of the USSR and South Africa's withdrawl from Namibia the war changed. Each army became a group of war lords that fought over the diamond mines. Group A's army will control a mine and sell diamonds. The proceeds will be split between the groups war lord and his masters/government. But the war lord will also use some of the money to buy more soldiers and guns. Group B will then attack the mine and take control of it and do the same. Not one of the warlords/generals was ever interested in winning the war because they were becoming very rich from the war.

I sometimes wonder the south don't have diamonds but .........

Why can an army of 440 000 men not win a war against 9 000 rag tag terrorists ?

I guess it is not so simple.

If that is done, the International Humanitarian army will start their war!

Today, the terrorists have the right connections and the backing.

Would that be be the WILL to hand over a big slab of your country? Ever heard of the Sudetenland?

Or would that be the WILL to refuse to give in to the demands of terrorists, policy of many countries?

It hasn't been a part of Thailand for very long ... historically speaking. How would you feel if your country was annexed and you were forced to be part of another country?

Well I don't think I'd start planting roadside bombs, or shooting teachers. OTOH my religion doesn't tell me that these are acceptable.

Well I don't think I'd start planting roadside bombs, or shooting teachers. OTOH my religion doesn't tell me that these are acceptable.

And if after many decades of trying it your way ... and getting no results ... and remaining oppressed ... would you just accept things the way they are and do nothing?

I'm not condoning the violence in the south. I think it's terrible ... esp. the violence against civilians. But as someone who's country had to use violence in order to become free of an oppressive colonial government, I do understand the frustrations of the Muslims in the south of Thailand.

Edited by HerbalEd

And if after many decades of trying it your way ... and getting no results ... and remaining oppressed ... would you just accept things the way they are and do nothing?

I'm not condoning the violence in the south. I think it's terrible ... esp. the violence against civilians. But as someone who's country had to use violence in order to become free of an oppressive colonial government, I do understand the frustrations of the Muslims in the south of Thailand.

If you learned the national language and script, and had an education that taught you the basics instead of rote learning of slabs of the koran, both of which might just enable you to get employment better than menial labour, you might not feel so oppressed. But killing people is easier, and most of them are only infidels anyway. And teachers have to be prime targets, because otherwise more people might feel less oppressed (as in stop listening to our BS) and our women might object to being chattels.

If you learned the national language and script, and had an education that taught you the basics instead of rote learning of slabs of the koran, both of which might just enable you to get employment better than menial labour, you might not feel so oppressed. But killing people is easier, and most of them are only infidels anyway. And teachers have to be prime targets, because otherwise more people might feel less oppressed (as in stop listening to our BS) and our women might object to being chattels.

Your oversimplified stereotypes are not a universal representation of all Muslims. Actually many are well educated and in spite of what "you" think they should do, they want to live within their own culture and their own country. Just as I assume you want for yourself also.

As to the Koran teaching/condoning violence ... which it does: Have you ever read the Holy Bible?

Edited by HerbalEd

Your oversimplified stereotypes are not a universal representation of all Muslims. Actually many are well educated and in spite of what "you" think they should do, they want to live within their own culture and their own country. Just as I assume you want for yourself also.

As to the Koran teaching/condoning violence: Have you ever read the Holy Bible?

Strange assumption to make of an Aussie living in Thailand. Read the bible - every time I feel like a good giggle I read Leviticus, better than the Marx Brothers, even Karl. Did you know your slaves should only come from neighbouring countries, or when you conquer an enemy city you should slaughter everyone except the under-age (virgin) girls?

Back on earth, what chance does a village muslim educated in a madrassa have of getting a decent job? How much of his feeling of oppression is based on economic differences?

I didn't say it's inevitable. But "absolute complete nonsense"?? Are you a pathological optimist or do you never read/hear/watch the news in the past few years? Or the news in the past two days? Why is Thailand immune, in your eyes?

It is something completely different. This is NOT about Islamic ideology. Don't you see that? This is about a historical conflict stemming from the loss of the Sultanate of Malay. It is about the loss of several provinces of territory, over a century ago. It is about being treated as bastard children for decades. It is about anger stemming from not getting ones due. This is a legitimate grievance. How does that compare on ANY level with what is going on in the middle east? The only thing in common is religion. That is simply not enough to make this incredible leap of faith. And yes, I do keep up with the news.

There is an awful lot of ignorance being uttered on this forum.

As to the Koran teaching/condoning violence: Have you ever read the Holy Bible?

Strange assumption to make of an Aussie living in Thailand. Read the bible - every time I feel like a good giggle I read Leviticus, better than the Marx Brothers, even Karl. Did you know your slaves should only come from neighbouring countries, or when you conquer an enemy city you should slaughter everyone except the under-age (virgin) girls?

Back on earth, what chance does a village muslim educated in a madrassa have of getting a decent job? How much of his feeling of oppression is based on economic differences?

American living in Thailand, not Australian. What ever that means.

It is something completely different. This is NOT about Islamic ideology. Don't you see that? This is about a historical conflict stemming from the loss of the Sultanate of Malay. It is about the loss of several provinces of territory, over a century ago. It is about being treated as bastard children for decades. It is about anger stemming from not getting ones due. This is a legitimate grievance. How does that compare on ANY level with what is going on in the middle east? The only thing in common is religion. That is simply not enough to make this incredible leap of faith. And yes, I do keep up with the news.

I completely agree. It's much more about a conquered and oppressed people than about a religion. That's been my point all along. I don't understand why you don't see that it my previous posts.

To restate my previously stated concern: That is that radical Islamists (e.g., ISIS) will exploit the situation in southern Thailand to exacerbate the present problem towards their own terrorist-Islamic agenda. The same as they're doing so well with disinferangised Muslims in the west.

Edited by HerbalEd