Thai "Blues"is it normal?

n210mp

You think too mut ........

Talk less and exercise more.

This morning up at 5am to cycle up the mountain to Wat Doi Suthep.

Raced against several total strangers, Thai and foreigner, no breath for talking.

You need some hobbies that get you out and about, with no need of vocal interaction.

Depression only affects people who sit around all day, every day.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

None were perfect but I enjoyed them all by learning to adjust to where I was and I learned to live with myself.

And this is the key to a lot of peoples problems, they are unwilling to adjust, you see it every day on here...

Why are Thai's ?, why is Thailand not the same as farangistan ?

I do believe there are a lot of farangs who are "trapped" in Thailand, they ave thrown their lot in, for what ever reason, then realised it isn't panning out the same as the picture they had in their heads and this is reflected in some posts even seen on TV, as there is very obviously a lot of resentment or even hatred of all "Things Thai" by some posters and they live here, and one would have to ask the question, if someone hated a place so much as it appears some people do why are they still here...if it was me who flet that way, would have packed my bags and left a long time ago

Plenty of trapped people in their home country.

Hopelessness, loneliness, bitterness, resentment and even hatred are not the exclusive feelings of expats.

It would cover about 50% of older people in the western world whose life didn't work out as well as they hoped.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I have also come to the conclusion that it will be impossible for me to change my way of thinking, and behaving. Even if I were to become fluent in the language, I could never feel at home here. As a few people already said, best to have a way back to your homeland.

With a serendipitous (albeit small) windfall of cash infusion (hopefully tomorrow), I find it likely that I will fly to Salem, Oregon. Never been there before...but I do know there are no sales taxes in Oregon. My goal is to buy a second hand Ford Ranger Pickup, and a toy hauler/travel trailer (bare bones). I have no house or land there, anymore...but I just want to "go with the weather". There are nice locations and national parks, where I could work 20 hours a week, and get a free hookup site. Sounds fresh and clean. We are all set up here, in Thailand....and I can keep that going, as well.

Need to see if I can get my live-in gf a trourist visa. We were turned down for a fiancee visa, last year, as I had no address in the states.

I believe...keeping options open...and having positive plans...will keep you optimistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnhgk1rWCH4

You think too mut ........

Talk less and exercise more.

This morning up at 5am to cycle up the mountain to Wat Doi Suthep.

Raced against several total strangers, Thai and foreigner, no breath for talking.

You need some hobbies that get you out and about, with no need of vocal interaction.

Depression only affects people who sit around all day, every day.

depression affects people who suffer from depression , active or not.

It fascinates me how these people who've had enough of the place continue to come back here and tell us why they left.

Me too. Why do they do that? I used to live in the worst place in the world. St Louis.

You could not drag me on a St. Louis forum to talk about that awful place. I smiled for three years through thick and thin and pain and trauma but was happy just to be out of that H*** hole. I didn't even watch the news stories recently about Ferguson because it is close to St Louis.

If I felt trapped in any country other than my home country I'd get the serious blues. In fact I did and I moved back to the US where I have first world cleanliness, rule of law and temperate, good weather. The most important thing to me was that in LOS I lost too much contact with life long friends and family.

I actually worry about some guys who are squeaking by on a minimal amount of money and may not have alternatives. I would go crazy. I am much happier having my nice home and real pickup and car and then traveling any time I want to wherever I want. Some guys tell me they feel they have more freedom in LOS, but I never did. Freedom to me is setting foot back onto US soil when I want to and having a right to be there, a right to own property, the rule of law and so on.

To each his own.

The rule of law! Yes dude America certainly has that. A great place to live.Just remember to buy loads of guns to protect your property. It is your right to bear arms after all. I think we should all pack up and move to Utopia/ America/the First World(<deleted> that means!!)...

Thailand has over 1mm visitors a month.

The vast majority go home at the end of their visit, with some staying on for a little while, or a long while.

Why people have to announce that they're leaving as if it's an earth shattering event is beyond me.

Like Thailand's gonna fall into the ocean or something if they leave.

Just do the graceful thing, and leave quietly.

Edited by Gecko123

If I felt trapped in any country other than my home country I'd get the serious blues. In fact I did and I moved back to the US where I have first world cleanliness, rule of law and temperate, good weather. The most important thing to me was that in LOS I lost too much contact with life long friends and family.

I actually worry about some guys who are squeaking by on a minimal amount of money and may not have alternatives. I would go crazy. I am much happier having my nice home and real pickup and car and then traveling any time I want to wherever I want. Some guys tell me they feel they have more freedom in LOS, but I never did. Freedom to me is setting foot back onto US soil when I want to and having a right to be there, a right to own property, the rule of law and so on.

To each his own.

The rule of law! Yes dude America certainly has that. A great place to live.Just remember to buy loads of guns to protect your property. It is your right to bear arms after all. I think we should all pack up and move to Utopia/ America/the First World(<deleted> that means!!)...

well, white guys anyway.

Either u snap out of it, or eventually u leave. I did. Best thing I ever did

Did what?

Snap out of it, or leave?

I left. Haven't missed it for a second. After 17 years, it felt like a wrench to do it, but looking now, I stayed 5 years to long.

Miss some friends but other than that, it was undoubtedly the right thing for me to do. I was wasting my time trying to do things very hard in Thailand. UK has been superb since I got back.

Yes.

It normally happens when one moves here, believing that Thai society, Thai culture and Thais are as they promote them selves to be.

After a few years most people have awoken to see Thai society, Thai culture and Thais, are really the opposite.

It can be quite a sad awakening for some.

Yes.

It normally happens when one moves here, believing that Thai society, Thai culture and Thais are as they promote them selves to be.

After a few years most people have awoken to see Thai society, Thai culture and Thais, are really the opposite.

You mean how it promotes itself to tourists. If you're foolish enough to think moving here would be one long holiday, then of course you're going to end up disappointed.

You mean how it promotes itself to tourists. If you're foolish enough to think moving here would be one long holiday, then of course you're going to end up disappointed.

What do you think retirement is?

For me it certainly is one long mountain biking holiday.

Pattaya isnt Thailand to me, I have never lived in Pattaya although visited the place a few times, I don't like it all... I wouldn't really call it 'proper Thailand'

Seems to me your friends need to experience Thailand for real and not just some scummy seedy area sat on a bar stool supping beer with bar girls, that's not a dig by the way. How about trying somewhere else out in Thailand away from the tourist zones?

I have lived in Thailand for 3 years and since moving up NE Thailand I am much more happy and relaxed with my wife and son, I don't think I could stay in Pattaya etc for more than a week, I also hate the seedy places in BKK. Up here I have met so many proper friends Thai and non Thai who are genuine.

Cheers

Where is "proper Thailand" then?

Central Bangkok?

Chang Mai?

A paddy field?

The "isn't real Thailand" or any country makes me cringe. Fact is the whole country is part of what makes a country. Every little town every big city and everything in between make a country what it is

Yes.

You mean how it promotes itself to tourists.

No.

The BS it conditions and indoctrinates its people with from birth, bpen kwarm Thai.

coffee1.gif

Edited by DLang

Did what?

I left. Haven't missed it for a second. After 17 years, it felt like a wrench to do it, but looking now, I stayed 5 years to long.

Miss some friends but other than that, it was undoubtedly the right thing for me to do. I was wasting my time trying to do things very hard in Thailand. UK has been superb since I got back.

So why come back and tell us about it if not lonesome blues. I don't want to know about the UK; if I did I'd go to a UK forum. Why come back and make us as miserable as you now are in the UK? Ya we know. Can't hide it from us. Misery loves company and you are trying to get us as depressed as you. But me and Soi Biker have you figured out.

Pattaya isnt Thailand to me, I have never lived in Pattaya although visited the place a few times, I don't like it all... I wouldn't really call it 'proper Thailand'

Seems to me your friends need to experience Thailand for real and not just some scummy seedy area sat on a bar stool supping beer with bar girls, that's not a dig by the way. How about trying somewhere else out in Thailand away from the tourist zones?

I have lived in Thailand for 3 years and since moving up NE Thailand I am much more happy and relaxed with my wife and son, I don't think I could stay in Pattaya etc for more than a week, I also hate the seedy places in BKK. Up here I have met so many proper friends Thai and non Thai who are genuine.

Cheers

Central Bangkok?

Chang Mai?

A paddy field?

The "isn't real Thailand" or any country makes me cringe. Fact is the whole country is part of what makes a country. Every little town every big city and everything in between make a country what it is

Franky, this "real Thailand" thing comes from people who live in a paddy field in Nakon Nowhere and believe its intended to convey that they are more at one with their Thainess, and therefore have more "right" to be here than those who live in other areas and the ones who live in the paddy fields are some how more superior beings

Fact is, it just sounds daft

If someone ran around accusing people who lived in London of not living in the real England or people living in Glasgow that they are not living in the real Scotland, the people saying these things would be looked at like an insane silly person...

Did what?

So why come back and tell us about it if not lonesome blues. I don't want to know about the UK; if I did I'd go to a UK forum. Why come back and make us as miserable as you now are in the UK? Ya we know. Can't hide it from us. Misery loves company and you are trying to get us as depressed as you. But me and Soi Biker have you figured out.

Huh? I said either he snaps out of his Thai blues or he leaves. I got worn down by Thailand and put off leaving for a long time believing that Thailand was my home, the place I wanted to be.

Once I left I completely realised what a really messed up place Thailand is. And nothing has happened since to change it would appear. I am not depressed at all. As I said, Uk has been great since I got back.

Someone asked if I snapped out of it or left Thailand. I suppose I could say both.

Lets put a scientific and statical analysis on this question....

Statistically speaking, if one was a whining miserable kant in their own country, there is a strong statically correlation that the same person will be a miserable kant for their tenure in Thailand.

some people are just not happy unless they are miserable and whining

Cheers

Central Bangkok?

Chang Mai?

A paddy field?

Franky, this "real Thailand" thing comes from people who live in a paddy field in Nakon Nowhere and believe its intended to convey that they are more at one with their Thainess, and therefore have more "right" to be here than those who live in other areas and the ones who live in the paddy fields are some how more superior beings

If someone ran around accusing people who lived in London of not living in the real England or people living in Glasgow that they are not living in the real Scotland, the people saying these things would be looked at like an insane silly person...

I know mate. I live in Rayong City. I like living here. A small decent expat community. Decent schools. But I am

In Thailand.

Central Bangkok?

Chang Mai?

A paddy field?

For me? it is Sarakham... and no I do not live in a paddy field, I live in a modern house. However I think you are missing my point entirely and only quoting part of my post.

Thailand has many beautiful places to stay and make a life depending on your taste, however if you like the sound of living in a paddy field you would have many choices, enjoy.

Cheers

Central Bangkok?

Chang Mai?

A paddy field?

There are places in Thailand - take Pattaya as a prime example - where Western culture has become so predominate, and Thai people have become so tourist oriented, jaded, opportunistic, corrupt, and, frankly, debased, that they have lost almost all their charm and grounding in traditional Thai culture and values.

Describing these areas as not the "real" Thailand in order to contrast them with areas where traditional Thai culture and values flourish is what I think Ryanhull was trying to do, but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

There are places in Thailand - take Pattaya as a prime example - where Western culture has become so predominate, and Thai people have become so tourist oriented, jaded, opportunistic, corrupt, and, frankly, debased, that they have lost almost all their charm and grounding in traditional Thai culture and values.

Describing these areas as not the "real" Thailand in order to contrast them with areas where traditional Thai culture and values flourish is what I think Ryanhull was trying to do, but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

Exactly my point mate just stated better, I only mention this not to have a dig, but at the same time I have met so many western guys near where I live who have done the whole 'Pattaya' scene and are so much happier now they have moved up here, happier, healthier mentally and physically, even financially! .... and your words are spot on with regards to the tourist orientated places.

At the same time, Bangkok is a bit like London, you either love it or hate it, I lived there for one year and met my wife who I now have a beautiful son with so I cannot grumble, its an amazing city but after a year I was ready to get out.

To be blunt all I am saying to anyone getting bored or going insane living somewhere like Pattaya is to try somewhere else less touristy out, simple as that, pls do not read anymore into it.

Cheers