World Jewish population nears pre-Holocaust level: Report

webfact

Report: World Jewish population nears pre-Holocaust level

JERUSALEM (AP) — The world's Jewish population has grown to be nearly as large as it was before the Holocaust, an Israeli think tank said in its annual report Sunday.

The Jewish People Policy Institute said there are currently 14.2 million Jews in the world. When factoring in individuals with one Jewish parent and others who identify as partially Jewish, the figure approaches 16.5 million — the Jewish population on the eve of World War II. The Nazis and their collaborators killed about 6 million Jews in the Holocaust.

The report said the rise has been due in part to natural growth, mainly in Israel, which has about 6.1 million Jews and one of the Western world's highest fertility rates.

But it also linked the growth to "changing patterns of Jewish identification." It said that 59 percent of adult children in the U.S. who have just one Jewish parent now identify as Jewish, a majority "for the first time in memory."

Avinoam Bar-Yosef, the institute's president, said more of those Jews were probably identifying as Jewish because it is more "respectable" to be Jewish in the U.S. than it was years ago. He also said Birthright-Israel, which organizes educational trips to Israel for young Jewish people, is likely having an impact.

The tally combines the number of Jews worldwide, but it also includes at least one million secular Jews who are less likely to be connected to Jewish life or institutions. And it includes some 350,000 Israelis who emigrated from the former Soviet Union and are not considered Jewish in Israel. The Pew Research Center, whose count only includes Jews who self-identify as Jewish, projects that Jews will reach 16 million by 2050.

The United States has the world's second largest Jewish population, at 5.7 million. France is a distant third with about 475,000 Jews, followed by Canada.

The report, which was presented to the Israeli Cabinet on Sunday, dubs itself an "annual stocktaking of the Jewish world."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-29

And no thanks to any one in particular, if it was up to so many haters, bigots and hypocrites people

of this world, those figures will be going in reverse, if it wasn't for the Jews and Israel being capable

of protecting them selves, the outcome would have dire in deed...

I don't think the people of Ukraine or the rest of the nations of the former USSR have recovered the 70 million they lost as a result of the Bolchevick revolution and its aftermath. Perhaps Hollywood will get around to making a movie or two about this?

I don't think the people of Ukraine or the rest of the nations of the former USSR have recovered the 70 million they lost as a result of the Bolchevick revolution and its aftermath. Perhaps Hollywood will get around to making a movie or two about this?

I wonder if Hollywood could make a movie of the decimation of the Australian Aboriginal people too.

Don't hold your breath.

Just 14 million Jews, whose global profile and troublemaking potential is unfortunately out of all proportion to their numbers.

Thank you, sprq.

I can see you do not like or approve those 14 million. It's OK by me. They can also live with this.

But I thank you for acknowledging the mere fact: their potential out of all proportions!

Personally, I like them. I am thinking of what they managed to give to this World.

Despite the persecutions in the last 2000 years. Despite being homeless for the last 2000 years.

I say - give me Jews instead of Arabs any time.

I second that ABCer.......Its pretty incredible that such a small population has contributed so much to the world in terms of medicine, science , fine arts....not so fine arts......

Quite agree, the Holodomor is pretty much unknown to most people. Stalin's regime alledgedly killed between 7 - 10 million Ukrainians but hardly ever a mention of it in the history books.

The Armenian genocide also never gets the press it deserves.

Somehow I doubt Hollywood will ever make a film or documentary about these genocides.

Millions of Blacks, Gays and Gypsies, disabled people and people with mental issues died alongside the Jews in the ovens and gas chambers. But in the dozens of movies I have seen regarding the holocaust no mention of those others has ever been made. WHY? because the Jews own Hollywood. They want to wring their hands and tell how they suffered and do not care or ever mention the others who also suffered.

Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, South American tribes, Eastern European peoples, the list is endless, have also suffered as horrifically under various despots but who cares???

It is always the JEWS, JEWS, JEWS.

The only way to beat them at there own game is for a few billion people to convert to Judaism.

Then they would have no more advantage, as they would have to compete against each other.

How is it that one changes his/her ethnicity by changing their religion?

The only way to beat them at there own game is for a few billion people to convert to Judaism.

Then they would have no more advantage, as they would have to compete against each other.

I was under the impression that Judaism was a religion, and a way of life.

Now you are telling me that it is not a religion, but that people are Jewish based on where they were born, or who their parents were?

That would change everything then. No more claims of religious persecution I guess.

I was under the impression that Judaism was a religion, and a way of life.

Now you are telling me that it is not a religion, but that people are Jewish based on where they were born, or who their parents were?

That would change everything then. No more claims of religious persecution I guess.

You are usually considered a Jew if your birth mother was/is an ethnic Jewess.

Edited by Pakboong

Quite agree, the Holodomor is pretty much unknown to most people. Stalin's regime alledgedly killed between 7 - 10 million Ukrainians but hardly ever a mention of it in the history books.

Somehow I doubt Hollywood will ever make a film or documentary about these genocides.

I was married to a Russian lady from Moscow for 7 years. I learned a lot from her about this enormous tragedy that isn't usually taught in the West. You are right; Hollywood doesn't want to go there. My sympathies go out the the Armenians as well; slaughtered by the Muzz. It is tragic when any population is murdered by its own government.

Millions of Blacks, Gays and Gypsies, disabled people and people with mental issues died alongside the Jews in the ovens and gas chambers. But in the dozens of movies I have seen regarding the holocaust no mention of those others has ever been made. WHY? because the Jews own Hollywood. They want to wring their hands and tell how they suffered and do not care or ever mention the others who also suffered.

Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, South American tribes, Eastern European peoples, the list is endless, have also suffered as horrifically under various despots but who cares???

It is always the JEWS, JEWS, JEWS.

What a load of Judeophobic hooey.

Of course it's inevitable a topic like this would attract Jew haters.

No it is not always JEWS, JEWS, JEWS, but on any internet topic about Jews or Israel pretty much anywhere it's always bait for the

JEW HATERS, JEW HATERS, JEW HATERS.

Now, expect this dude to say his best friends are ...

Just 14 million Jews, whose global profile and troublemaking potential is unfortunately out of all proportion to their numbers.

I never realized how troublesome Nobel prizes were.

For people who are ignorant about the contributions of Jewish people to global civilization from ancient times forward, I highly recommend the BBC t.v. show -- The Story of The Jews.

Everyone can learn from that, including of course Jews.

The story of the Jewish people is simply amazing.

There were so many small ancient tribes back when the Jews started.

Which tribes remain?

Just the Jews.

But still relative to global population: A SMALL TRIBE.

Edited by Jingthing

I was married to a Russian lady from Moscow for 7 years. I learned a lot from her about this enormous tragedy that isn't usually taught in the West. You are right; Hollywood doesn't want to go there. My sympathies go out the the Armenians as well; slaughtered by the Muzz. It is tragic when any population is murdered by its own government.
As it happens I have frequently mentioned the Armenian genocide on this forum and do take your point. But the newsworthiness of mass murder is political is it not?

You might conclude the frequency of such items is a Jewish defense tactic, however I'm coming to suspect it is more an opportunity for some of our esteemed members and their ilk to engage in their favorite pastime of holocaust inversion.

One positive with the thread being about Jews and not Israel is the removal of the word Zionism, which is used as a cloak of concealment by many antiSemites and Nazi sympathizers, at least their hatred is somehow more honest here.

Edited by Steely Dan

Isn't it too much already and time to stop them ? I am talking about birth control pill of course :-)

So ZERO.2 percent of the world population is too much for you?crazy.gif

I wonder when he goes to the hospital if he asks for Moishe or Muhammad to be his doctorgiggle.gif