Can you buy a bike with no licence

Can you buy a motorbike with no Thai driving licence?

I don't have one but I want a bike to go in my living room on a stand as a piece of art, I saw this once before with a Ducati in someone's house.

I've been told by one dealer "no" but can't really see why?

I don't ride a bike but I do like them.

Yes you can..All that is Needed is a correct Visa

Not even that. To register a vehicle, one needs a certificate of residence, which is given to anyone. To just own it, not even registration is necessary, pay and take it away on a truck.

However at the same time I think the OP is just dreaming, to say it nicely.

You do not need either a licence nor a visa to purchase a motorcycle. new or used, or to register the motorcycle.

However, to register the bike you need acceptable proof of address, which for most people is a letter from immigration (immigration won't always issue that if you do not have a visa), but there are alternatives.

Edited by technologybytes

You do not need either a licence nor a visa to purchase a motorcycle. new or used, or to register the motorcycle.

However, to register the bike you need acceptable proof of address, which for most people is a letter from immigration (immigration won't always issue that if you do not have a visa), but there are alternatives.

I just bought a Vespa a couple weeks ago, at an official Vespa shop.

The dealer man, he definitely wanted to see my passport. But I think just to confirm my identity. He didn't care if I had a moto license. Which I do from the states, and that is also noted on an international driver's license AAA issued me (they are a travel service in the states).

So the answer to your question: I think you should just need money and your passport.

After the purchase I rode the bike out of there. You have a few weeks, I think, where you ride around without any plate or anything. However to register the bike. Dealer needed me to go to the US Embassy, on Wireless road, because I am American, and get them to sign a form similar to the form below. It turned out it was the wrong form, as it is for Chiangmai, and I am in Bkk. But it was fine. At the U.S. Embassy they handed me the correct form, and I filled it out quickly, and didn't lose much time.

So slowest part of this process, for me, was that to register the bike, I needed to get my Vespa dealer the form below. To make an appointment at my consulate, I needed to go online, and click a few buttons and make an appointment. Which was in about one weeks time. Once at the consulate, it was very simple. They did NOT need proof of where I was living. They just looked at what I filled out, and signed it. Kind of strange. But whatever, that's what is needed. I did it. And it all worked. The Vespa has plates, and that multicolored little document, and I got a "green book" from the dealer also at that point.

One final thing to mention, is that I was a little surprised at how expensive the embassy was. It was in Thai baht, but I seem to remember it was at least $50? Maybe more. Just for them to sign this form. So bring cash!

Department of Land Tranport Affidavit Oct 2011 FINAL.pdf

I bought my car and bought a new Honda PCX 2 weeks ago from Honda on 3rd Road, Pattaya and was not asked for my drivers license, although I do have Thai drivers license. All I was asked was my residency certificate and passport....and took delivery within 30 minutes

I've bought 2 bikes without a license both from a Honda shop.

Can't see how not having a licence would prevent someone from buying a bike (or car). I have both and I'm always amused at how when I go for private insurance for the car (same applies to Gov. Tax and Ins) they are not in the slightest bit interested in whether I have a licence or not. I used to have it ready to produce when getting my 1st. class insurance but it was just waved away every time.....Not like back home.

And they are absolutely "black bean" (anal) about this. I was in the process of buying a new bike from Honda with 6 weeks left to my visa and they REFUSED to release it to me (though they had NO f4cking problem taking my money!) until I showed a new visa. I hadn't planned on renewing the visa until a week before its expiration date, so this delayed possession of the bike for a month. One MORE reason why Mexico will soon be home.

Edited by quandow

And they are absolutely "black bean" (anal) about this. I was in the process of buying a new bike from Honda with 6 weeks left to my visa and they REFUSED to release it to me (though they had NO f4cking problem taking my money!) until I showed a new visa. I hadn't planned on renewing the visa until a week before its expiration date, so this delayed possession of the bike for a month. One MORE reason why Mexico will soon be home.

Hmmm, interesting ... wonder how I managed to purchase and register all my vehicles with only 30 day visa exempt stamps ... only needed certificate of residence and passport only as proof of ID. Good luck in Mexico.

Off course you can what does the dealer care, not sure on the Stats but i would guess over 70% of Thia motor cyclists don't have a licence, we have 4 bikes & I don't recall ever been asked for a licence only valid ID and proof of address.

Off course you can what does the dealer care, not sure on the Stats but i would guess over 70% of Thia motor cyclists don't have a licence, we have 4 bikes & I don't recall ever been asked for a licence only valid ID and proof of address.

Indeed. Just show me the money. As I've said before. Money talks, nobody walks. That's a good thing.

Hmmm, interesting ... wonder how I managed to purchase and register all my vehicles with only 30 day visa exempt stamps ... only needed certificate of residence and passport only as proof of ID. Good luck in Mexico.

If intimating I'm a liar makes your feel more like a man, then I'm glad I could help. I am reporting exactly what happened to me at a Honda dealer to try and help the OP.

If intimating I'm a liar makes your feel more like a man, then I'm glad I could help. I am reporting exactly what happened to me at a Honda dealer to try and help the OP.

And I'm reporting EXACTLY what happened to me. Go chill in Mexico, Thailand is obviously getting to you.

My experience was "yes, yes, yes" until I'd paid the money at a main dealer and signed the forms, then they said that because (at that time) I was on a tourist visa, it became "no, no". So from that solitary experience I think visa is more important than license.

And I'm reporting EXACTLY what happened to me. Go chill in Mexico, Thailand is obviously getting to you.

You posted a snide remark and now don't have the backbone to admit it. "L"

My post was exactly what it said ... my experiences buying vehicles, nothing more, nothing less. Sounds like Mr Angry has nothing on you and Thailand's gain will be Mexico's loss!

Not even that. To register a vehicle, one needs a certificate of residence, which is given to anyone. To just own it, not even registration is necessary, pay and take it away on a truck.

However at the same time I think the OP is just dreaming, to say it nicely.

Why dreaming?

He's unsure if what he's been told by a bike shop is the deal everywhere or not.

Hope he gets a nice Ducati like those pics. Looks brilliant imo.