Thai students, teachers protest to oust school director

webfact

PATHUM THANI
Students, teachers protest to oust school director

The Nation

30263370-01_big.jpg?1435615728409

BANGKOK: -- More than 2,300 secondary school students and teachers at Triam Udom Suksa Pattanakarn School in Pathum Thani's Lam Lukka district yesterday joined a protest to oust school director Sathorn Sombun over what they claimed were overly expensive tuition fees and ineffective management.

The protesters claimed the school director's mismanaged the school finances and the higher secondary students were not provided with enough classrooms, although they had paid expensive tuition fees.

Secondary Educational Service Area Office 4 deputy director Mana Phumbua and his team then stepped in to negotiate with the protesters. He set up a fact-finding committee to probe the allegations.

The protest ended at around 2pm yesterday after a meeting of the school's committee resolved to promote Suchit Chaikan, the school's deputy director, to acting school director.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Students-teachers-protest-to-oust-school-director-30263370.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-30

Good for the students. Nice to see 'customer feedback' actually making a difference for a change. I hope this is the start of a trend, ultimately leading to a revolt at the lower end, or the 'SAS', in which many unsuitable teachers are employed.

I hope even further that EP students will revolt against the transient, backpacker, gap year students that are employed by language schools, to work illegally full time in K-12 schools.

"The protesters claimed the school director's mismanaged the school finances and the higher secondary students were not provided with enough classrooms, although they had paid expensive tuition fees."

Is this an alternative new word for corruption?

I hope even further that EP students will revolt against the transient, backpacker, gap year students that are employed by language schools, to work illegally full time in K-12 schools.

Why?

Usually students want this type of teacher rather than the usual middle aged sexpat who is a failure in his own country but now has a false self importance with his bargirl wife and work permit.

Why?

Usually students want this type of teacher rather than the usual middle aged sexpat who is a failure in his own country but now has a false sense of self importance with his bargirl bar girl wife and work permit. marriage visa

If you need any more help, I'll gladly oblige.

Why?

Usually students want this type of teacher rather than the usual middle aged sexpat who is a failure in his own country but now has a false sense of self importance with his bargirl bar girl wife and work permit. marriage visa

Oh, I forgot - low self-esteem resulting in the need to point out on other people's errors, that might just raise their sense of well-being. Very sad really.

The ironic thing is that these grammar policemen are usually the ones without any tertiary education.

Whoah, hope this goes country wide!

As the junta are doing nothing to tackle the massive corruption at schools, usually orchestrated by the 'director'.

If this goes big it could be the impetuous for serious change.

3 cheers for the students of Triam Udom Suksa Pattanakarn hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray!

This illustrates the inherent dangers in doing too good a job of educating the youth of Thailand. They start to question their betters.

The original Triam Udom school is probably the best non-in't school here. No idea if the expansion of the brand has affected the quality delivered at the newer campuses?

Edited by bamnutsak

Why?

Oh, I forgot - low self-esteem resulting in the need to point out on other people's errors, that might just raise their sense of well-being. Very sad really.

The ironic thing is that these grammar policemen are usually the ones without any tertiary education.

Congratulations! There's not a single grammatical error in your latest post. I'm glad that you took the time to proofread it & you even hyphenated correctly. 10/10. Great stuff & keep it up. I look forward to reading more of your work. smile.png

Why?

Johnniey..

You are not only pointing out people's faults and errors, you are imagining and fabricating faults generalizing!

"Failure in his own country"?

"False self importance?"

"Bargirl wife?"

Is this your gut feeling, or...

have you researched this?

Many foreign teachers in Thailand do a very good job, for very little pay.

They are important and I do not care who or what they have married...or even if they are single!

They teach because they care about the young students.

Do you read better than you write in the English language? failed you

I do understand why you do not like teachers......your's have failed you.

Please tell us you do not teach!

Fascinating to see a protest at a Thai school against its superiors. I thought submission to the system was the prime directive.

Well, they did have the teachers on board... And probably the teachers took more of the brunt of poor leadership than the students. So who knows how this all really got started

Fascinating to see a protest at a Thai school against its superiors. I thought submission to the system was the prime directive.

Well, they did have the teachers on board... And probably the teachers took more of the brunt of poor leadership than the students. So who knows how this all really got started

So I guess your suggesting that maybe some dissatisfied teachers or perhaps even upset local business people stirred up the students. And maybe at high school and other higher level schools.

Surely not, please tell me this never happens.

Yes it does happen, when my Thai son was at university the students (a large% - included all years) protested very angrily.

Why? Many of the classroom buildings were in serious decay, complete walls has collapsed in a number of buildings and the students had to continue to take classes in these rooms because not enough class rooms. Additionally most of the furniture had decayed and in some rooms the students just sat on the floor. Students had protested many time before with no result.

Then came the day that the director told the staff to organize a complete assembly of all students for later that week and compulsory for all students to attend.

Director then very proudly announced to the assembly that a new building was coming, large footprint, 7 or 8 levels high and it would be used for just one thing - the ' President Office' . Plus there would be a helicopter pad on the roof.

The students (several thousand) were instantly incensed and en masse (at the assembly) they turned their backs on the director and sat down and refused to move.

Further moves by the students to have the director removed were ignored, the building went ahead, helipad and all.

Edited by scorecard

Why?

You forgot to hyphenate self-importance...... biggrin.png

Why?

You forgot to hyphenate self-importance...... biggrin.png

I never wanted kids anyway. tongue.png

This school employs Russians and other non native English speaking teachers to teach English.I suggest it is because they are cheaper. No surprise students and parents are not happy. Surprised it took this long!

Why?

Johnniey..

You are not only pointing out people's faults and errors, you are imagining and fabricating faults generalizing!

"Failure in his own country"?

"False self importance?"

"Bargirl wife?"

Is this your gut feeling, or...

have you researched this?

Many foreign teachers in Thailand do a very good job, for very little pay.

They are important and I do not care who or what they have married...or even if they are single!

They teach because they care about the young students.

Do you read better than you write in the English language? failed you

I do understand why you do not like teachers......your's have failed you.

Please tell us you do not teach!

Probably tried for a job and didn't get it!

Well done those students! Management in Thai schooling can be an absolute nightmare (I have six years experience of this) and the sense of entitlement some of the directors have is astounding because they are older and their little picture is the highest on the chain of command boards you often see in Thai schools. Good to see that subservience broken and student power winning the day.

Good for them. I hope their wants are heeded.

Incidentally the school i work in could do with firing the institutionalized, ego inflated battle axe they have currently with somebody more vibrant & in tune with 21st century ideals

Why?

Congratulations! There's not a single grammatical error in your latest post. I'm glad that you took the time to proofread it & you even hyphenated correctly. 10/10. Great stuff & keep it up. I look forward to reading more of your work. smile.png

My God, I didn't realize that one had to write grammatically perfect on this forum.

After 29 years living here, I must admit I have forgotten a lot I learned at school - my apologies. Do people call you Ajarn? :cheesy:

Edited by Johnniey

Good for them. I hope their wants are heeded.

Incidentally the school i work in could do with firing the institutionalized, ego inflated battle axe they have currently with somebody more vibrant & in tune with 21st century ideals

I think every school in Thailand has that old battle axe that the Thais fawn over. Normally always clashes with us foreigners cos we don't take no sh!t biggrin.png