Elderly German Biker seriously injured in Pattaya road crash

webfact

That Picture say a lot : 3 thais looking like airheads instead of helping the poor guy on the gound. I dont care if he is german, 75 years old (probably not so since we all know thais and numbers ...), wearing helmet or not (look like a green/White helmet on the gound) - of course they dont help him since he is farang - sad but true ...crying.gif

The amazing thing about the pic is that 2 thais out of 3 are wearing helmet - thats a per cent you dont see every day ... crazy.gif

BTW I dont believe the thai that blame the old guy saying its his fault - farang will get the blame since thats law here sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

About 3 years ago I was riding my Yamaha Virago 535 up through the hills from Thoen to Chiang Mai and I came off do to stupidity on my part and a wet road didn't help much. Two Thai guys coming the other way in a pickup stopped and asked if I was OK and if I needed any help. Fortunately I was OK though they did help me get the bike upright and to the side of the road.

More Thais in urban areas wear helmets than those in rural areas.

If you don't have any idea of first aid or how to help someone who had had an accident then LEAVE THEM ALONE. You can do more damage to them by moving them around than the accident causes.

Are you a regular bike rider?

I often see foreigners riding their bikes in the wrong direction against the traffic flow. Just because the Thais are stupid enough to do it doesn't mean foreigners have to adopt these low standards as well!

Edited by Asiantravel

Don't all of you rush at once to help the poor guy on the ground will you?

those two look like they're waiting for the noodles and som tam cart to arrive

rather than medical help....

A picture worth a thousand words indeed.

The photo screams a total lack of empathy from the 2 thais

For having been here 15+ years, this is what would most probably happen to you if you were involved in a similar situation.

(in case the other driver does not flee the scene...)

What are they supposed to do?

Maybe they tried to help and he told them to leave him alone.

Just saying as some farangs won't have non medically trained Thai's touch them or for that matter especially the two people they've crashed with.

Also there is the possibility that it was his fault and they've both gone into "som num na farang" mode.

:)

I often see foreigners riding their bikes in the wrong direction against the traffic flow. Just because the Thais are stupid enough to do it doesn't mean foreigners have to adopt these low standards as well!

Agreed, on the odd occasion I nearly had a bump in Pattaya more than once it was a farang driving badly, mostly Thai though in all honesty.

You guys have much to learn about life in Thailand!

Unless a person has a "first responder" certificate they are liable, in the event the victim dies or is permanently injured, if they have intervened, regardless of their intentions.

As many have said...."A picture paints a thousand words"....how true and so sad in this instance, even though it does sound as if he may have been in the wrong.. ....I have been driving over here 14 years now (pick-up and motorbike), and had one accident a few years back, the other person was in the wrong and had no papers what-so-ever, licence, insurance, or wearing a helmet. She was on a motorbike and I in the pick-up. She came off the bike after I hit her and landed in the middle island on the Sukhumvit. Rd. It put the heart cross ways in me as I was well aware of the "status" of Farang drivers over here. I remember thinking at the time before I got to her.....what if she has died ..what if she is seriously injured....how many lives can be changed in a split second. Thankfully she was OK and all was resolved. The event left a lasting sort of fear of being behind the wheel again over here when the odds are stacked so much against us on the roads. Because I love driving around Thailand on holidays etc., I carried on driving up until the present time but installed a dash cam and a cam in the rear.....but never felt the same again.

I'm 66 now and very recently got this over whelming urge to quit the driving here (get out while on top), I am an absolute believer in listening to my "inner teacher".... my intuition .....(I made so many mistakes in my younger days by not listening to it) that I have already put my pick-up on the market, I will continue on my motorbike. I will continue my holidaying around Thailand but will let somebody else do the driving, or fly.

This pic. has reinforced my decision, not because a man had an accident....but to see how he is regarded by the other people in the picture ...I would safely say because he is a Westerner.

Thank you for the opportunity of letting me put my thoughts on paper and for reading it.

Well said. Just be careful of the mini bus and coach drivers. Some we used for links in Thailand demonstrated why the minibus in Thailand is the equivalent of the European White Van Man.

You would be far safer sticking with your pick-up.

You might find this interesting as well No Surprise - No Accident

what, nobody could put a cushion or a towel or something under his head <deleted>?

Go to the news-article and watch the other pictures.

and? Looked at photos, no cushion, nothing.

As many have said...."A picture paints a thousand words"....how true and so sad in this instance, even though it does sound as if he may have been in the wrong.. ....I have been driving over here 14 years now (pick-up and motorbike), and had one accident a few years back, the other person was in the wrong and had no papers what-so-ever, licence, insurance, or wearing a helmet. She was on a motorbike and I in the pick-up. She came off the bike after I hit her and landed in the middle island on the Sukhumvit. Rd. It put the heart cross ways in me as I was well aware of the "status" of Farang drivers over here. I remember thinking at the time before I got to her.....what if she has died ..what if she is seriously injured....how many lives can be changed in a split second. Thankfully she was OK and all was resolved. The event left a lasting sort of fear of being behind the wheel again over here when the odds are stacked so much against us on the roads. Because I love driving around Thailand on holidays etc., I carried on driving up until the present time but installed a dash cam and a cam in the rear.....but never felt the same again.

I'm 66 now and very recently got this over whelming urge to quit the driving here (get out while on top), I am an absolute believer in listening to my "inner teacher".... my intuition .....(I made so many mistakes in my younger days by not listening to it) that I have already put my pick-up on the market, I will continue on my motorbike. I will continue my holidaying around Thailand but will let somebody else do the driving, or fly.

This pic. has reinforced my decision, not because a man had an accident....but to see how he is regarded by the other people in the picture ...I would safely say because he is a Westerner.

Thank you for the opportunity of letting meput my thoughts on paper and for reading it.

.. Kind Person You are, rare her.thanks for the pot

He didn't look that badly injured,

But a full face helmet, long sleeved shirt and jeans, gloves and sturdy shoes would have probably saved him any skin loss at all.

Little sympathy from me.

He should know better at his age.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

what, nobody could put a cushion or a towel or something under his head <deleted>?

I see him neatly bandaged up.. and probably after that will be transported. Fact is you and I both don't know how long he was on the floor after the ambulance arrived.

I see him neatly bandaged up.. and probably after that will be transported. Fact is you and I both don't know how long he was on the floor after the ambulance arrived.

This is true but I have to say, we had many a bike accident close to our office in Kamala, the girls would have been out before he hit the ground and had towels under his head shading them from the sun (we only worked day light hours)! Here I just see people standing around watching the poor fellow and doing nothing to make him comfortable

Obviously an idiot riding a bike with sandals on. You can now buy vented boots and trainer type motorcycle footwear for riding in hot countries.

Yeap.

I wear steel toe caps during my daily commute, plus full face helmet and AlpineStars gloves/jacket with protection of elbows/shoulder and back.

Anything less and I feel exposed.

A big C helmet would not have saved him from a head injury anyway. He is just one of the many stupid riders in Thailand that thinks accidents will never happen to them. Doesnt matter if they are thais or westerners.

Edited by balo

They are a waste of money.

Worse than that. They suggest the wearer is going to be safe and legal.

When if fact they are barely legal.

His outstretched hands suggest the usual 'Jesus' impression normally encountered when people fall off with no gloves on.

Hope he has good friends to wipey arsy

A big C helmet would not have saved him from a head injury anyway. He is just one of the many stupid riders in Thailand that thinks accidents will never happen to them. Doesnt matter if they are thais or westerners.

Why would a Big C helmet not of saved him from a head injury, do they somehow disapear just before the moment of impact ?

For the type of injury to the side of the head this old German substained a cheap helmet would of probably left him with just a headache. A Big C helmet may not be up to the standards of an Arai, Shoei or my favoured Bell but it's way better than no helmet. Don't believe me try getting someone to hit you round the head a couple of times with a brick, first with a Big C helmet on and then without.