First time in Thailand. Recomandations?

catalin90

The simplest advice is the thing that is missed the most.

If it sounds too good to be true it is!!!!!!!

Be careful what you drink when you go to a bar and or dancing never leave an open drink even water on your table.

As to money and your need it sounds like you have a good grasp.

There are many nice places in BKK to visit and a few that are not so nice but you have to see to believe LOL

We will take care. Thank you.

As you can see I endorse the advice given in posts #15 and #29. It's to be your first visit, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed my first visit 14 years ago. However, I'm no longer wearing 'rose-tinted sunglasses' as a tourist, having lived here for 11 years. Please don't misunderstand my feelings about Thailand. I love being here for many reasons, but when you say 'we will take care", can I give you advice as to how you should interact with Thais, in the event of you being dissatisfied with a purchase, service, or any 'face to face' situation.

Whatever you say or do, it's VERY IMPORTANT to avoid insulting or offending a Thai, especially in public. The reason for this is 'self esteem', known as 'face' is paramount to the Thai cultural make-up, and anything you do to make someone feel upset/angry, and thereby 'lose face' may bring about a reaction totally disproportionate to your expectations. Avoid creating a confrontation, and if anyone makes a derogatory or suggestive remark about you and/or your girlfriend, just 'walk away' and don't turn back or get involved in a potentially risky situation. If you're a TVF reader you may already be aware of what I've said, but it's better to be forewarned than wiser after the event.

Edited by joebrown

With the cash you are bringing its doable if the hotels are prepaid.....but your love of craft beer will be expensive in Bangkok.

Better to drink in the pubs for 100 Baht net a pint on Heineken or Carlsberg than 280 plus 17% on tax and tip.

Save up more money....and of course have a great time!

Spend less time in Bangkok - 4 nights is usual and it's a hot, dusty and noisy City. Many Guest Houses and Hostels in all the main centres. Use Public Buses which are cheaper than taxis. Outside of Bangkok taxis can be a rip off. If you must use taxis select metered ones or agree fare with Driver before getting in.

Plan your Thai domestic flights at least a Month in advance ad note that at the cheapest fare level the bookings cannot be changed.

Avoid Bars where drink can be expensive and be careful not to get too involved with Local Thais - there's often a reason for the smile.

You may find that 1600 Euros insufficient - Thailand is good value but there is much to do and money flows quickly.

Travel Insurance with health cover is a must as State Hospitals are often overwhelmed with drug addicts, road accident victims etc. and Private Hospitals cost at least 700 Euros a day.

Have fun - Thailand is incomparable!

You don't "loose a day" when going through Bangkok.

You would just save about 3h or so.

E.g.:

Qatar e.g. starts at 12:40h in OTP and arrives BKK at 7:10h in the morning (13:30h total travel time).

You will be in Phuket before noon.

A direct connection to Phuket could save you 3 to 4 hours, but for what a price?

There are about 20 flights daily to Phuket from Suvarnabhumi alone and about 25 flights from Don Mueang.

About 45 flights daily!

Edited by KhunBENQ

»My question is: will other 1800 euros be enough for our 16 day trip?«

1,800 x 37 = 66,000 baht / 16 = around 4,000 baht a day.

Yes, that’s possible.

Street food stalls and local restaurants are cheap, you can often find a delicious meal from 100 to 200 baht a person; two persons can eat for 1,000 baht (or less) a day. But beers can be relative expensive due to taxes; a normal Thai beer ranges from 60 to 80 baht in small restaurants, special beer will be more, up-end places charge a lot more...

When booking via Airbnb, do check the location with map, for example Google-map, how far distance the accommodation is from anything you wish to see or visit; you can end up using more in transportation – taxis can be expensive or overpriced – than you save from living cheap, away from main activities.

And don’t forget Travel Insurance in your budget, that’s a must...

Wish you a good holiday in Land of Smiles. smile.png

Don't cut things too close with regards to money. This is your first trip here, enjoy it! Nothing wrong with hotels here. If you shop around, they are the same price as what you will find on airbnb. And as mentioned before, sometimes in better locations.

Nothing wrong with touristy places, they are like that for a reason! People love them. Phuket is a fantastic island. I've spent a month there and loved it. So many beaches to explore. Phi Phi is great also, but the main area is jam packed. Young backpacks love it, others less so.

Thailand is a great country to explore. Have fun!

As others have said don't try to fly international flights TO Phuket and FROM Bangkok.l This is known as open jaw ticketing, its very expensive and not allowed any more by many airlines so basically you have to buy 2 one way singles.

Far better to look for a deal on the main route to Bkk, then budget domestic airline to Phuket.

To those saying 4 nights in Bkk is enough. That's only 3 days. Its a very big city with much to see and do, 3 days will go very quickly. I always use to plan to stay 2 or 3 days there, then end up staying a week. The heat will make you tired and you will want to spend some time relaxing. The overhead train (BTS) and underground (MRT) are very efficient (air conditioned!) ways to get around Bkk.

Air BnB a good idea and you can learn a lot of local knowledge staying in family homes.

Again as said by others, overnight train travel is a geat adventure, cheap and relaxing & saves a night's hotel.

Don't plan much for your first day & next morning as you will be tired from jet lag.

Edited by Lancashirelad