Former British soldier jailed for 50 years in Thailand for drug dealing

webfact

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He must have known the risks....harsh penalty i know, but its only a 50 stretch, it'll fly by.... he'll be back dealing by the time he's..er, 76.

Wake up, he's a f'ing drug dealer <deleted>...

If you could get down off the pulpit long enough you might begin to realize there is a difference between heroin and E. Sentences should take these things into account. You would think we were in the US. Pure silliness. Lunacy is more like it.

"E" isn't particularly dangerous, addictive or destructive. Most truly civilized countries wouldn't be too concerned with this crime.

You think methamphetamine mixed with caffeine is not particularity dangerous ?

Horses for courses. Personal choice. None of them are as dangerous as the 60 baht Lao Cao Lek, sold in every shop in the country.

Just another moron who want to live in Thailand what ever it takes, the good news is: you will live in Thailand the next 50 years, but not the way you planned in the first place. No ecstasy tablets to sell where you will spending the rest of your life.

"E" isn't particularly dangerous, addictive or destructive. Most truly civilized countries wouldn't be too concerned with this crime.

Says the guy who know all about drugs and what it's doing to the drug abuser.

50 years 200 tablets thats 3 months per pill, bit hash if you ask me. How are all these Thai yaba dealers back on the street so fast? Those tablets are everywhere at the full moon parties, looks like he run out of cash to grease the right people and is now got the Blunt end of the stick.

I agree with many of the other replyers. I have 0 tolerance for drug dealers. These guy´s are the scum of the earth,selling death in order to make a fast buck. 50 years is actually to little for an offence like this. It should be life without parole.

He must have known the risks....harsh penalty i know, but its only a 50 stretch, it'll fly by.... he'll be back dealing by the time he's..er, 76.

He won't survive 50 years in a Thai jail, one drug dealer less on the streets. clap2.gif

Edited by bander

This sentence is over-kill for any possible damage to society from MDMA (street name ecstasy). In my opinion, it is over-kill even if he had been selling heroin. Opium was 100% legal in Thailand until 1962 and if you go to rural Isaan, many villagers smoke ganja.

Ecstasy therapy approved for trial in Marin County http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Ecstasy-therapy-approved-for-trial-in-Marin-6283115.php

Brain Scans Hint at Therapy Uses of Ecstasy for Anxiety, PTSD http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/01/18/brain-scans-hint-at-therapy-uses-of-ecstasy-for-anxiety-ptsd/64700.html

The Role of MDMA (Ecstasy) in Coping with Negative Life Situations Among Urban Young Adults http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3235684/

For those vehemently against any sale of any illicit drug, there are, believe it or not, shades of gray in the dangers associated with different drugs. Cigarettes and alcohol are perfectly legal and are far more damaging to society than most illicit drugs. Every drug you could want has been legal (10 day supply) in Portugal for more than 14 years and illicit drug use has gone down 30% and drug deaths are down by 50% without the criminal justice system being involved. Can anyone find any negative stories on Portugal's relaxing of drug laws? NO!

Some people are risk-takers, some people are gay, and some people are drawn to drugs. There is something inside them that makes them that way and criminalization has never stopped, or even reduced, these behaviors. I'm glad my world is not 'black and white'.

What you are talking about is Politics. Then there is also the LAW. 200 tablets of Meth may appear less than, say, 1.5kgs of heroine, still, it is above what they consider for personal consumption. That normally draws Death penalty in Thailand. The other guy was right: 50 years clearly is a commuted Death sentence. Could be that other judges in other instances did not apply the Law as they should have, whatever the reason. You cannot take pretext from such cases to require that the judge NOT apply the Law here, also.

BTW Meth is actually very dangerous.

I believe that Malaysia either still does, or quite recently used to have, a limit of 1 ounce of cannabis, for someone to be convicted of trafficking or dealing, and to be hanged, no ifs or buts. And I don't for a minute believe that the race of religion of the perp played much of a part in sentencing! I believe Singapore was/is similar. So, 200 tabs = 50 years! Is there really much that is disproportionate between the two countries' tariffs?!

Correction: In Malaysia it is now the mind-bogglingblink.png amount of seven ounces of pot, where one can be hanged for dealing/trafficking.

Edited by Andrew65

Absolutely brilliant drug. Had some of the best nights of my life on it in the 90's. Made me a

Better person too

wow... Harsh or what... I know he's not in England but first offence and he would be fined and community service for this amount, second offence 12 months incarceration. This is bang out of order and I'm in total agreement with the earlier posted who suggested it's racially motivated. Just a month or so ago, a car drove into the rear of a car parked on Sarasin bridge - a no parking dual-lan highway - and died along with his son. Nothing at all to the plum who'd stopped "to enjoy the view" Seems they view a couple of hundred E's to be far more important than wrongful death (or any death if we compare sentences of people who actually did get arrested). Mind you, could have been worse, he might have got a bullet between the eyes back in 2001 when Thaksin had granted permission to murder dealers to the police force!

Much sentencing/time-served in the UK is so lenient, it is laughable/beyond a joke.

tell that to the family's of the young people who have died after taking E

Or smokers

Or alcoholics

wow... Harsh or what... I know he's not in England but first offence and he would be fined and community service for this amount, second offence 12 months incarceration. This is bang out of order and I'm in total agreement with the earlier posted who suggested it's racially motivated. Just a month or so ago, a car drove into the rear of a car parked on Sarasin bridge - a no parking dual-lan highway - and died along with his son. Nothing at all to the plum who'd stopped "to enjoy the view" Seems they view a couple of hundred E's to be far more important than wrongful death (or any death if we compare sentences of people who actually did get arrested). Mind you, could have been worse, he might have got a bullet between the eyes back in 2001 when Thaksin had granted permission to murder dealers to the police force!

Another one that just doesn't get it

What's wrong with these people? [emoji99][emoji99][emoji99]

This ain't soft headed England is it!

Again! There's a BIG FO SIGN AT THE AIRPORT!

If it's at the airport it's directed at foreigners isn't it...

If Thailand became as soft as the as the UK on this there'd be hoards of people bringing God knows what in by the kilo!

Midnight Express baby!

Poor old Billy Hayes... Same sh*t different country...

What, you think the drug problem in the UK is greater than Thailand? Right.... Why would anyone need to bring that crap to Thailand? It's in abundance everywhere and as far as I know, he was nicked for selling the cr*p, not importing it. Not only that, IF you look at my original post words 5 to 10 say "I know this is not England" The comparison between this bloke and Bill Hayes hardly stands up either, does it? Smuggling 2kg of Hash V less than 200 E's.. come on...

Edited by Alwyn

He sold an illegal drug & got caught. There have books written about Thailands harsh drug laws, & Documentaries.

Maybe 50 years is excessive, but I rather suspect it has been handed out as strong deterrent for the farang.

Btw, what happened to that UK bint caught with a few keys of Heroin? Was about 18 mos, iirc.....

Sad daddy was not rich...

Quite so. Here are a couple of extra details that might be of interest:-

His Thai supplier dobbed him in to the police in order to kill off any chance of Farang competition.

Also, his co-conspirator's family were able to raise the required 3,000,000 baht and get him shoved over the Cambodian border to freedom.

But Lance's daddy is not rich.

Absolutely brilliant drug. Had some of the best nights of my life on it in the 90's. Made me a

Better person too

It only killed the bad brain cells. This is known as the buffalo theory.

Much sentencing/time-served in the UK is so lenient, it is laughable/beyond a joke.

and yet the drug problem is nothing like it is in Thailand or for example, the USA.

If you cant do the time dont do the crime.

Anybody dealing drugs is dealing DEATH. scum of the earth.

I think the sentence is rather harsh considering Thai dealers who are caught seem to pop in and out of jail like it was a routine Bi-yearly cycle only to keep reoffending when out of jail and continue dealing when in jail, never heard of any Thai dealer getting 50 years for having 200 meth pills or even 2 million - and I too detest people dealing drugs

If you cant do the time dont do the crime.

Anybody dealing drugs is dealing DEATH. scum of the earth.

There's always one barbarian who straight away comes up with this kind of stuff.

If you can't understand the issue, don't do the comment.

Choice comment!!

Imagine Thai visa operating along those lines!!!

What, you think the drug problem in the UK is greater than Thailand? Right....

You don't think the UK has a bigger drug problem??

There is a huge illegal drug usage; Mcat/Coke/Heroin/MDMA & etc.

I remember back in 2002 or thereabouts the BBC did a documentary into the yabba trade and it was estimated 70% of school children had used yabba by age 14. It was mad. There is a drug problem in the UK, no doubt and it is well documented with stats etc. Whereas in Thailand, it isn't well documented - just as prostitution is zero because it's illegal (according to Thaksin's deputy PM anyway)

Death Sentence is the only reply these scum bags understand ...no mercy for these death dealers.......Period !!!

This young man you call "scum" served and defended his country by joining the armed forces. Up until 6 months before his arrest he led a perfectly normal life in paradise. His father owns a bar in Pattaya, where he stayed with him.

He had a Beautiful Thai Fiancee who suddenly died on him then, and in which totally devastated him and turned his life upside down. As his mother stated, he then got mixed up with the wrong crowd, which many young people do sometimes. He made a serious mistake, which many young people do sometimes also, especially when they themselves are on drugs or too much alcohol, and grieving.

I think you have trouble in understanding what a real "Scumbag" is. What a "Scumbag" is, is a person who goes out and rapes, tortures, and murders several children all under 18 years old, to the tune of 11 he confessed to, and more he probably forgot about. All children were both male and female. After he was caught and confessed, and convicted, he refused to tell the parents where he buried there bodies, without first a huge payment from the government for his efforts.

His name is Clifford Olson, He was sentence to Life in Prison in Canada in 1982 for his crimes which is 25 years. He died of Cancer in prison in 2011. He served his time but nobody would let him out as he was a dangerous offended.

Now that "Scumbag" got a sentence of 25 years. Do you honestly mean to tell me with a straight face and not drunk, that this young lad deserves double that for his crime of trying to sell 200 Illegal Pills? Cum On!

"This young man you call "scum" served and defended his country by joining the armed forces. "

This interests me, because the timeline of his life here and his age give him at most 3 years in the Army, and probably less. I notice that his mum does not display a single picture of him in uniform. Makes me wonder how many weeks/months he served and if the term ex-soldier is just used to sensationalize the story a bit.

He won't survive 50 years in a Thai jail, one drug dealer less on the streets. clap2.gif

He won't have to. The UK has a Prison Transfer Agreement with Thailand. He can apply to be moved to a UK prison commensurate with his crime after just four years served. I believe for drug dealing this means High Security, so it won't be a picnic but I think he'd prefer it to Bang Kwang.