Trump says he's struck back at Univision with US$500M lawsuit

webfact

Trump says he's struck back at Univision with $500M lawsuit

NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump's lawyers say Trump and the Miss Universe pageant have sued Univision for $500 million in a New York court, claiming Trump's First Amendment rights were violated when the company declined to air the Miss USA contest.

The lawsuit, filed in State Supreme Court in Manhattan on Tuesday, names Univision Networks & Studios Inc. and Alberto Ciurana, Univision's programming and content president. Univision says in a statement the lawsuit is "factually false and legally ridiculous."

The lawsuit claims breach of contract, defamation and speech violations. It says Univision cut ties with Miss Universe because Univision's owner supports Democratic candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Univision says it will continue to fight Trump over derogatory comments he made June 16 about Mexican immigrants when he announced his run for the presidency.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-01

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You try to encourage the redneck vote with a few wetback comments and all hell breaks loose.

And those terrible people with all their 'facts' about how America is supported by immigrant labour.

Its time to call Arnie Governator, surely he can lend is support to rally the folks against the Mexicans, after all he's been sticking it to them for years.

Good on you, Trump. The fourth estate is supposed to be reporting the news, not being the news. Univision may find out being 'offended' isn't allowed in their contract.

Actually it is. Univision is a media network that offers multiservice programming specifically targeted at the Spanish language population in the USA.

It's viewers are majority Hispanic. It's advertisers are specifically targeting the Hispanic demographic. Trump just made a false statement about the Mexican community. In doing so, he offended Mexicans and Univision's viewers.

As a for profit company, Univision needs to retain its Hispanic demographic. It is unlikely that Hispanics will want to watch a Trump owned beauty pageant. The purchase of broadcast rights was a discretionary entertainment decision, just as it is a discretionary decision to purchase the broadcast rights to a football match or a soap opera. It would be bad business to continue broadcast of the pageant after Trump insulted Univision's audience.

This is the Donald Trump I know. Nasty, malicious, not an ounce of fair play in his bones, ugly, cheating, aggressive, smelly, obnoxious, lacking in any sense of nobility or grace, and just a poor state of a half man. This is something I would expect a man child, who has been fairly rejected, to do. After the vicious tirade that he launched against many of the super kind, very hard working, incredibly honest and noble Mexican friends of mine, Univision was totally within their rights to cancel their airing of this pigs show. He cannot stand being rejected, as he is so fragile, and his self esteem is so low. After all, he is the one who has to look into the mirror every morning. Can you imaging what a horrid affair that must be? What an absolute runt of a man. The very fact that he is running for president, says a lot about just how low this entire political system has descended.

Edited by spidermike007

Nasty, malicious, not an ounce of fair play in his bones, ugly, cheating, aggressive, smelly, obnoxious, lacking in any sense of nobility or grace, and just a poor state of a half man.

Come on now you should give a more balanced description. It's not fair just to list his good points.

Wellllll, this should be fun. clap2.gif

Go get em Donald. Put on a hairnet before the real battle starts. Have you trademarked your hair style yet? If you win the presidency its Hair Force One you will be travelling in. Credit given to a previous poster on the Hair Force One comment.

Now if he'd sued for breach of contract, I could understand it.

But he's probably dumb enough to think that this will get him all those angry old white Fox news viewers to vote for him.... and he's probably right!

I am sooooooo looking forward to the Fox News "debates"!

biggrin.png

Edited by Chicog

Now if he'd sued for breach of contract, I could understand it.

But he's probably dumb enough to think that this will get him all those angry old white Fox news viewers to vote for him.... and he's probably right!

I am sooooooo looking forward to the Fox News "debates"!

biggrin.png

Fair and balanced baby!

Good on you, Trump. The fourth estate is supposed to be reporting the news, not being the news. Univision may find out being 'offended' isn't allowed in their contract.

Actually it is. Univision is a media network that offers multiservice programming specifically targeted at the Spanish language population in the USA.

It's viewers are majority Hispanic. It's advertisers are specifically targeting the Hispanic demographic. Trump just made a false statement about the Mexican community. In doing so, he offended Mexicans and Univision's viewers.

As a for profit company, Univision needs to retain its Hispanic demographic. It is unlikely that Hispanics will want to watch a Trump owned beauty pageant. The purchase of broadcast rights was a discretionary entertainment decision, just as it is a discretionary decision to purchase the broadcast rights to a football match or a soap opera. It would be bad business to continue broadcast of the pageant after Trump insulted Univision's audience.

Thank you. Always nice to see a rational, intelligent, well thought out reply to an utterly inane and uninformed post such as the one sdanielmcev made. Wow. What can you say? Calling Univision a news outlet? A bit like calling CBS a news network. Get an education please.

Univision goes out over (mainly?) terrestrial broadcast stations. As such, it uses public airwaves, not specifically "hispanic airwaves." It can target viewers but the medium through which it broadcasts is not Spanish or Mexican or hispanic. As for the contract, even CNN's Jeffrey Toobin, who had a look at it this morning, says Trump has a solid case. There are no opt out clauses. Trump has them by the short and curlies and they're going to pay. By the time it's over, Trump may own Univision. BTW, you characterize his comments incorrectly. He made no comment about "the mexican community." He referred to illegal aliens coming across the border consisting of drug runners, people smugglers, criminals, and rapists. The very fact that they violate the border, obtain work without a valid visa, and avoid income taxes while often stealing someone's social security number or ID does make them criminals. To the degree they commit other crimes, such as rape, robbery, and assault, I don't know. But if even one of them does it, that means an American citizen was harmed for the benefit of a class of people committing criminal activities.

What is in their contract will state if Univision is allowed to break their contract between Trumps' company and themselves because of a personal quote. Trump, the company is not the same as Trump the person. Contractually. Making a deal with a volatile company owner was Univisions' mistake.

Good on Trump. Reverse racism is perhaps the worst problem in the US. Unlike most pandering politicians, Trump has the money and the balls to stand up for it.

Being a lawyer, I would say his lawsuit will do very well.

Good on Trump. Reverse racism is perhaps the worst problem in the US. Unlike most pandering politicians, Trump has the money and the balls to stand up for it.

Being a lawyer you should know you need to see the contracts between the parties before you can make any such judgments.

Being a lawyer you should know you need to see the contracts between the parties before you can make any such judgments.

Being a lawyer, I know what he would sign and I know what his lawyers would pursue. In fact, I know his lawyers and we have cases with his lawyers. Unless you have some facts, then . . .

Being a lawyer, I know what he would sign and I know what his lawyers would pursue. In fact, I know his lawyers and we have cases with his lawyers. Unless you have some facts, then . . .

:lol::lol::lol:

Univision goes out over (mainly?) terrestrial broadcast stations. As such, it uses public airwaves, not specifically "hispanic airwaves." It can target viewers but the medium through which it broadcasts is not Spanish or Mexican or hispanic. As for the contract, even CNN's Jeffrey Toobin, who had a look at it this morning, says Trump has a solid case. There are no opt out clauses. Trump has them by the short and curlies and they're going to pay. By the time it's over, Trump may own Univision. BTW, you characterize his comments incorrectly. He made no comment about "the mexican community." He referred to illegal aliens coming across the border consisting of drug runners, people smugglers, criminals, and rapists. The very fact that they violate the border, obtain work without a valid visa, and avoid income taxes while often stealing someone's social security number or ID does make them criminals. To the degree they commit other crimes, such as rape, robbery, and assault, I don't know. But if even one of them does it, that means an American citizen was harmed for the benefit of a class of people committing criminal activities.

I did not claim that Univision was using "Hispanic" airwaves. The media company pays a licensing fee for the use of the airwaves, just as FOX, CTW and others do. The issue of frequency access has nothing to do with what is essentially a business decision. Ok, Jeff Toobin, who's background is criminal law had a quick look at a part of the possible contract. Counsel specialized in contractual law and who has access to ALL relevant documents may have a different opinion. I would expect that Univision which is a successful and profitable media company has inhouse legal counsel and outside counsel who would have signed off on the decision to cancel the Miss USA broadcast.

Trump is asking for $500 million. Unfortunately, the pageant audience has been shrinking over the years and the broadcast companies don't make much through advertising revenues on these shows which are a relic of the past and have a shrinking audience. Trunp will have to porove the damages sustained. It will be a hard slog.

You are singling out Univision, but NBC Universal cancelled the US broadcast for both pageants as well. Why focus solely on Univision? Here's the kicker: NBC Universal owns the other 50% of the pageant(s).

You claim Trump made no comment about the Mexican community. That's your interpretation. His broad generalization of Mexican immigrants singled out "Mexicans". It showed a complete ignorance on Trump's part. US nationals are selling the weapons that are used in the Mexican drug wars. It is a very profitable and lucrative business for the USA. No mention of that. Americans are also the primary purchasers of drugs imported from Mexico. No mention of that.

The majority of the illegal Mexican immigrants are quiet, peaceful people. Yes, there are some criminals and some very dangerous people coming across. Unfortunately, a majority of these violent people are not Mexican and come from Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Panama etc. I suppose in Trump's eyes, all Hispanics look the same. The reason those countries have such civil strife is due to decades of US interference and support of corrupt military dictatorships. Remember the Reagan government and the great US "patriot" Oliver North who provided weapons to the drug selling right wing contras? The US is now reaping its investment in death and destruction in central America.

The inconvenient truth that all the belly achers whinging about Mexicans don't want to talk about is that the US economy would collapse without them. How would Trump keep all of his branded properties clean without those Mexican workers? Who would pick the food in the fields, work in the slaughterhouses, wash the dishes, pick up the trash, do all the menial nasty jobs that US nationals refuse to do?

If you want to stop illegal immigration, there is an easy solution: Minimum $100,000 fine, 1 year jail term to anyone who employs an illegal immigrant. Go down to the Home Depot in Tucson or Glendale and start arresting the fat white guys in their pick up trucks who come each day to pick up the illegal Mexican day labourers. Seize the pickup trucks, Charge them with a felony. Know what? It won't happen. It's easier to blame the Mexicans than to go after the US citizens who are exploiting them.

The illegal immigrant problem in the USA was created, funded and maintained by the USA.

Univision paid for the right to broadcast (not produce) the Miss Universe pageant. Now it has decided not to broadcast the event. As a result Univision will simply absorb the cost of the fee as the price to protect its market.

Where is there a breach of contract or denial of Trump's first amendment rights?

There is none.

However, Trumps anti-hispanic rants would damage Univision who serves largely a hispanic audience. Univision should sue Trump for the cost of its fee and Trump can find someone else to broadcast the event. Maybe he could put it on YouTube.

laugh.png:lol:laugh.png

You can act your laughing all you want, but these contracts are not unique. Most of what my firm does (60% or more) is entertainment law dealing with TV contracts, record contracts, athletic contracts and etc. I know the clauses in these types of contracts well. Neither Trump nor Belkin Burden are dummies. Why not read the complaint as it is online . . .

This was a calculated business decision by Univision during a hotly contested political climate. These type of decisions are made all the time and the bean counter risk managers already now the impact. The case will settle.