NCPO stands firm on jailed students

webfact

NCPO stands firm on jailed students
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- NATIONAL Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari yesterday shrugged off calls by local scholars, political activists and international organisations to release the 14 student activists who were arrested on Friday.

Winthai said the authorities tried to enforce the law fairly.

He also chastised certain international organisations for spreading "inaccurate information" about the case.

An illegal public gathering carried a penalty of a fine or a few months' imprisonment, he said, not "a long period of incarceration" as had been claimed by some organisations.

Nirun Pantarakit, a member of the National Reform Council, said the pressure from the international organisations would not have a serious impact on Thailand.

"This is an internal affair," he said.

Worachai Hema of the Pheu Thai Party yesterday called for the immediate release of the anti-coup students.

He warned that public discontent would reach boiling point in a few months.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NCPO-stands-firm-on-jailed-students-30263571.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-02

Did not take long for the PTP to make insinuations of future uprisings. Seems to me Worachai knows more about this incident. I do hope the NCPO can find a connection as they claim there is that whay those kids did was broughg on by a certain political group or individual to show the world.

is it greater loss of face to do an about face or face the music. only someone with anything to fear would just arrest.

surely the wise man would watch and wait. probably watch a couple of kids go home, speak to mum and dad and worry about how they will get a family of their own making 10 - 20 k a month.

the only real issue here is what comes after will be just as bad as the current. shit on hands or hands in shit , in shit or on shit.

I do hope the NCPO can find a connection as they claim there is that whay those kids did was broughg on by a certain political group or individual to show the world.

You aren't going to understand that this doesn't matter? Everyone as a matter of human rights has a right to protest and to ask government to address grievances. Everyone has a right to peacefully assemble. This is what the junta is jailing people for and it doesn't matter "who started it".

What matters is that these people's rights are being trampled. There is no way to excuse it.

I do hope the NCPO can find a connection as they claim there is that whay those kids did was broughg on by a certain political group or individual to show the world.

You aren't going to understand that this doesn't matter? Everyone as a matter of human rights has a right to protest and to ask government to address grievances. Everyone has a right to peacefully assemble. This is what the junta is jailing people for and it doesn't matter "who started it".

What matters is that these people's rights are being trampled. There is no way to excuse it.

Yes everyone has a right. Sure! Even ones who are paid to do it to make trouble. For now nobody is even sure the motives of those kids let alone if this was initiated by political parties to create dissent. So being this is thailand one has to look at the worst case scenario since they are easily bought out.

Did not take long for the PTP to make insinuations of future uprisings. Seems to me Worachai knows more about this incident. I do hope the NCPO can find a connection as they claim there is that whay those kids did was broughg on by a certain political group or individual to show the world.

Never fear. If a connection cannot be found, I'm sure one will be invented, so rest easy...

"...He also chastised certain international organisations for spreading "inaccurate information" about the case..."

They protested peacefully, they were illegally arrested using an illegal law and sent to jail. What's there to get wrong?

Never fear. If a connection cannot be found, I'm sure one will be invented, so rest easy...
Why invent one when it is clear they broke the law. Either way they are guilty of this.

This "they broke the law so throw them in jail. The law is the law" litany from apologists demonstrates they have no understanding of basic human rights. There were laws in USA saying whites and blacks couldn't marry, blacks had to only use segregated facilities, etc. Should those still be on the books? Apartheid was all legal and proper in South Africa, should that still be in force?

They are not so stupid as to do this because "man in Dubai" might enjoy protests. They do it because they are smart enough to know their rights are being trampled. I protested the war in Vietnam not because Kremlin might approve, but because I felt war was wrong on so many levels. The law and order crowd might want to consider the content of the laws rather than slavish obedience. Fat chance.

This "they broke the law so throw them in jail. The law is the law" litany from apologists demonstrates they have no understanding of basic human rights. There were laws in USA saying whites and blacks couldn't marry, blacks had to only use segregated facilities, etc. Should those still be on the books? Apartheid was all legal and proper in South Africa, should that still be in force?

They are not so stupid as to do this because "man in Dubai" might enjoy protests. They do it because they are smart enough to know their rights are being trampled. I protested the war in Vietnam not because Kremlin might approve, but because I felt war was wrong on so many levels. The law and order crowd might want to consider the content of the laws rather than slavish obedience. Fat chance.

Then of course there was the burning of 'witches' in medieval Europe for breaking the law. I would imagine only a few posters on here would want the witchcraft laws back on the books...

Then of course there was the burning of 'witches' in medieval Europe for breaking the law. I would imagine only a few posters on here would want the witchcraft laws back on the books...

yes they would probably say 'better the Devil you know' giggle.gif

Edited by LannaGuy

yes they would probably say 'better the Devil you know' giggle.gif

The law is the law... They chose to own a black cat, so they deserve anything they get...

"This is an internal affair," he said.".

Today's spokesperson may be tomorrow's old news.

Hiding behind the old line of "internal affair" is a tactic used by those who cloak repression behind a facade of legitimacy.

This reminds me of a way to capture a monkey. Empty a coconut and make an opening just large enough for the monkey to slip in its hand unclenched. Attach a chain to the coconut and tether the chain to the ground. Put fragrant rice in the coconut and wait. The monkey will grab the rice in the coconut, but can't pull it out with a clenched fist. Most of the monkeys are too stubborn or too stupid to realize that letting go will prevent their capture.

If the NCPO doesn't release these students soon, I believe it will be the beginning of their end.

"I do hope the NCPO can find a connection as they claim there is that whay those kids did was broughg on by a certain political group or individual to show the world."

But of course you do!

Otherwise, I would be very interested, how you and other junta- huggers spin this one to look good for the Champion of your hearts!

Why invent one when it is clear they broke the law. Either way they are guilty of this.

I'm curious, do you also believe Suthep and the people participating in his illegal protests and election disruptions broke the law and should have been prosecuted? Do you think there were nameless people funding their efforts?

I'm curious, do you also believe Suthep and the people participating in his illegal protests and election disruptions broke the law and should have been prosecuted? Do you think there were nameless people funding their efforts?
Not sure because i dont think there were laws in place preventing that. But there are now.

Having lost face, and losing more daily, the NCPO has decided that linking the protesters to the opposition is essential. How else can they declare all dissent comes from the 'reds'?

It's a red herring in a barrel of mackerel.

It's seems that some political/criminal group want to renact 1976/1992 tragedies for their own purpose....

What are you you blathering on about? There is no such thing as basic human rights, it's all in your head, there never has been any such thing, it doesn't even make sense.

What you attribute as basic human rights are a 20th century construct that came about as countries began to become more democratic, That you and many others seem to think these things are somehow universal and timeless is just too funny for words.

Free speech is not a right, it is not a gift from the universe, free speech is something that has been fought for over the centuries as countries became more democratic. It is a right only in those countries that have that right written into their laws. Rights are assigned under law and unless they have been underwritten in law there is no transferrable quality as basic human rights. This is how the world really works.

These students did have the right to protest under an elected government and did have the right to free speech. Under junta rule there is no such thing, junta and military rule is as if we wound back the clocks to before the notion of human rights and the laws that support them. Military rule suspends all such things until a new government can be elected.

Meanwhile "Officials allowed today's rally (protesting the protesters) outside of Loei City Hall to go forward, highlighting the uneven application of the junta's ban on political gatherings, which has been consistently invoked to snuff out anti-coup protests but rarely (meaning not once) used to silence supporters of the military government." Parenthesis mine.

Um, theseta2013 only reads TVF, not the rest of the newspapers....

How myopic.

What are you you blathering on about? There is no such thing as basic human rights, it's all in your head, there never has been any such thing, it doesn't even make sense.

What you attribute as basic human rights are a 20th century construct that came about as countries began to become more democratic, That you and many others seem to think these things are somehow universal and timeless is just too funny for words.

Free speech is not a right, it is not a gift from the universe, free speech is something that has been fought for over the centuries as countries became more democratic. It is a right only in those countries that have that right written into their laws. Rights are assigned under law and unless they have been underwritten in law there is no transferrable quality as basic human rights. This is how the world really works.

These students did have the right to protest under an elected government and did have the right to free speech. Under junta rule there is no such thing, junta and military rule is as if we wound back the clocks to before the notion of human rights and the laws that support them. Military rule suspends all such things until a new government can be elected.

UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights (Which Thailand signed):

Article 19.
  • Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

I know there are plenty of places this is laughable.... Not a 20th century thing. Voltaire expressed best with "tho I may disagree with what you say, I will defend to my death your right to say it" which influenced creation of US Constitution in 18th century, among other places. And that right still exists in USA.

You are right when wrote "free speech is something that has been fought for over the centuries", which is what the students were doing by protesting. "Military rule suspends all such things until a new government can be elected." or until they are thrown out. One can hope....

It is a difference if people stand up for their rights or do what they are told to do for another's benefit

I am fairly certain that the "NCPO" will find what ever connection they feel that they need to find.

won't make it true...

I am wondering if you read only certain news sources... it's pretty well understood that the student groups have (1) been active for a long time, (2) been engaged in issues of social justice, and (3) have never been affiliated with the PTP or UDD.

These students are following what has become a tradition in modern Thailand... When the military goes over the top in Thai politics, the students are the "checks and balances" in the system to limit the political power of the military. It's a sad situation, but until the military gets house-trained for democracy, it will continue to be up to the students in Thailand to kick the generals in the knees.

Lots of people automatically assume the students and their supporters are funded by "someone". No evidence presented or needed, it's just easier to blame things on the bogeyman than to acknowledge people taking a principled stand.

"Winthai said the authorities tried to enforce the law fairly." cheesy.gifblink.png

Ahhh yes. So a gathering of more than 5 people for something POLITICAL is illegal now and punishable my court marshal.

So that's why the army arrested people protesting against coal mining in the South the other day.

That's why the army arrested labor groups protesting in Bangkok for a minim wage increase.

That's why the army arrested the 'monk' Buddha Isara for protesting about Dhammayo.

That's why the army arrested protesters outside of the American embassy for their criticisms of a few things here.

Oh no wait...Hang on a second, they actually enforce this law completely selectively! I have actually said this on a fair few threads over the last few days (I am starting to feel like a broken record player!). I suppose it's because I see the junta cheer leaders repeatedly ignoring it and trotting out the old "they broke the law, Thaksin plaid them, blaa blaa bla"

Let's assume for a second (but we are still waiting for this super definite evidence the junta has) that Thaksin DID pay them, how does that excuse the blatantly myopic enforcement of this law?