Thai activists pledge to rally until 14 students released

webfact

Activists Pledge to Rally Until 14 Anti-Junta Dissidents Released
By Khaosod English

14358186121435819328l.jpg
Supporters of the detained activists rally outside of Bangkok Remand Prison on 1 June 2015.

BANGKOK — Supporters of the 14 activists arrested for demonstrating against the military junta have vowed to gather every night outside the prison where they are being detained until the group is released.

For the past two nights, around 50 people have assembled outside of Bangkok Remand Prison, where 13 of the activists are being detained, to hold a candlelight vigil and demand their release. The lone female activist belonging to the group, which is called the New Democracy Movement, is being held at a separate prison for women in Bangkok.

“We will hold this activity every night until the students are released without any conditions,” said Sirawit Serithiwat, a Thammasat University student who is also facing legal action for organizing pro-democracy demonstrations this year.

Tonight’s vigil will start at 8pm, he said.

Around ten policemen and other security officers have observed the past two rallies, which have involved lighting candles for the activists and singing songs.

Before leaving the scene last night, the activists shouted, "We are your friends! We will not abandon you!" in unison.

The fourteen detainees, eleven of whom are university students, were arrested last Friday for leading a peaceful pro-democracy demonstration in Bangkok. They are facing up to seven and a half years in prison on charges of "inciting unrest" and violating the junta’s ban on public gatherings.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1435818612

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-02

Good for them. Nice to see some people with a bit of backbone. Not quite up to the level of students in Hong Kong, but there definitely seems to be more outward dissent in the last month or so.

You can't blame Thammasat students for being a little cautious. Events of 1976 when more than 100 of them were massacred under a previous junta is part of a Thammasat students DNA.

The countdown now starts to see who will post the first comment asking how much these Thaksin lackeys have been paid to stand vigil outside the prison.

#DOH! #brainfart #my opinions come from my wife

Doesn't matter. Those who make up this nascent Thai Democracy movement's retake of their country's power gives not a flying fig for their opinions coffee1.gif

The junta will never overcome this one, no matter how many guns they have. They had better release the students despite losing face.

Big brothers are also watching and slab Thailand with Russian like sanctions.

They will be released soon - then all the red-hypocrites will suddenly never mention it again and move on to whatever they can find next.

Remember that Thailand is under military rule because the Thaksin was prepared to take the country to civil war rather than lose the chance for his personal amnesty.

You should get your protests ready for the next elected government and teach them a bit about democracy. You should have done it last time, but you didn't. Never mind : you will get yet another attempt before long.

For now you must put up with the consequences of your actions.

Colleague was talking to a Thammasat student yesterday. He wanted to demonstrate and feels almost guilty for not doing so. Has 2 young sisters and Mum is the sole breadwinner. She works for the civil service, but most likely not for long should he join the demonstrators.

I'm sure there are many others like him. The laws may be oppressive but they only tell half the story.

The countdown now starts to see who will post the first comment asking how much these Thaksin lackeys have been paid to stand vigil outside the prison.

#DOH! #brainfart #my opinions come from my wife

Haha great post!

And the last part of your post is so true on this place. YOU LIKE GENERAL OR NO SEX FOR YOU!.............Yes tee rak!

50 people.....yeah that is left from the uprising of Esaan, the millions people march to Bangkok, etc blabla etc....when army prevents the money flowing from the dear leader.

not millions, not hundred thousands...well not even 100...just 50 people....

50 people.....yeah that is left from the uprising of Esaan, the millions people march to Bangkok, etc blabla etc....when army prevents the money flowing from the dear leader.

You don't half talk some bovine scatology!! .. Seriously you think all protestors are paid to do so? Naive, and ill informed at best!!

And by the way, there was never anything close to a million people on the streets during the PDRC rallies pre coup, maybe in total, but never 1 million, they were large for sure, but to keep on saying there was a million has about the same credibility as your "paid to protest" posts.

Colleague was talking to a Thammasat student yesterday. He wanted to demonstrate and feels almost guilty for not doing so. Has 2 young sisters and Mum is the sole breadwinner. She works for the civil service, but most likely not for long should he join the demonstrators.

I'm sure there are many others like him. The laws may be oppressive but they only tell half the story.

Here we go, just noticed this in the newsfeed.

The Nation July 2, 2015 4:31 pm

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan Thursday denied that troops had been dispatched to intimidate families of 14 student activists, who have been arrested and remanded for violating rally ban.

Their lawyers alleged that troops had visited and intimidated the families.
Edited by roamer

If you are told not to do something and you do it, you should expect to pay a price. Hell, That started when I was little boy and Mother said do not do that.

Some of these are Law Students, this is a good easy lesson about breaking the law, good or bad !!

It just goes to show you how many show up when they aren't being paid. Most Thais I know are rather apathetic when it come to politics but not apathetic when it comes to money. For money, they are willing to shed their apathy.

On another note, when will this group be arrested for disturbing the peace?

Heroes... nothing more needs to be said

God speed...

nothing more needs to be said

Can I get that in writing, signed and notarized?

as a junta lover you should be proud your heroes arrest and jail students protesting for justice and democracy

proud are you? don't you remember when even you had a conscience? a thirst for justice and freedom? wait a minute... you did have that once right?

They will be released soon - then all the red-hypocrites will suddenly never mention it again and move on to whatever they can find next.

Remember that Thailand is under military rule because the Thaksin was prepared to take the country to civil war rather than lose the chance for his personal amnesty.

You should get your protests ready for the next elected government and teach them a bit about democracy. You should have done it last time, but you didn't. Never mind : you will get yet another attempt before long.

But but but but but but......Thaksin!!! Who would your bogey man have been when cheering on the many juntas in the pre-Thaksin era?

Heroes... nothing more needs to be said

God speed...

as a junta lover you should be proud your heroes arrest and jail students protesting for justice and democracy

proud are you? don't you remember when even you had a conscience? a thirst for justice and freedom? wait a minute... you did have that once right?

So, I guess the answer to my question is: no.

You really think you are insulting me, don't you? 555!

Yes, I'm a proud 'Junta lover', as you call it, because it is a 1,000 times better than the kleptocracy of the previous government that was actually run from abroad by a fugitive, convicted felon, ex PM.

A series of popular-but-highly-corrupt governments headed by a narcissist, egomaniac with kleptomanaical tendencies has made me into a cynic when it comes to 'Thai Style' democracy, so I don't thirst for justice and freedom if that means a return of Thaksin or any of his nominees to power in Thailand. If it takes the power of the army to prevent that, I'm OK with it 100%.

BTW, re: those students, anyone engaging in civil disobedience to protest must be ready to face the consequences. I believe the students refused bail so they could appear as martyrs. I also know there is an investigation into whether they were put up to their protest by Dark Forces who desperately want to derail reform as it would cut into their thieving. The students certainly don't have much popular support as only 50 people (in a city of more than 8 millions) showed up to support them.

Obviously we have different values when it comes to 'conscience' as you seem to favor criminal governments like Thaksin's and his puppet governments and I don't. Any more questions? Thanks for the invitation you provided for me to rant some more.

But but but but but but......Thaksin!!! Who would your bogey man have been when cheering on the many juntas in the pre-Thaksin era?

Chavalit? Banharn? Army bosses who stayed in power well past any changes they enacted.

Edited by rametindallas

Good for them. Nice to see some people with a bit of backbone. Not quite up to the level of students in Hong Kong, but there definitely seems to be more outward dissent in the last month or so.

You can't blame Thammasat students for being a little cautious. Events of 1976 when more than 100 of them were massacred under a previous junta is part of a Thammasat students DNA.

In the early nineties, I was staying at Sweetie's just off Kao Sarn and they were hanging them off democracy monument in tyres and setting light to them. You got to be pretty brave to protest against this Army

If they let these so called Thai activists go it will lead way to more red and yellow rallies. If the Thai government lets them go it will see many more illegal and larger rallies in Thailand. Test this law with the no important people and sacrifice them for the wealthy.

Here we go, just noticed this in the newsfeed.

The Nation July 2, 2015 4:31 pm

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan Thursday denied that troops had been dispatched to intimidate families of 14 student activists, who have been arrested and remanded for violating rally ban.

Their lawyers alleged that troops had visited and intimidated the families.

Might be a coincidence, but could that be the reason why today's BP are reporting that the students 'welcome' talks with Prayut?