20.000 baht overstay rule?

I believe there is blacklisting involved but it is not nearly as severe if you do it voluntarily, which it seems like you would be doing, but I'm not sure if they view clearing it up at immigration the same as the airport. Off topic, but I saw where they had an immigration round up in Sihanoukeville a few weeks ago. Went business to business. I saw the manager of the last guesthouse I stayed at, picture in the newspaper.

• Like 1

11 years overstay cleared at Suvarnabhumi last august fine 20k baht and was able to return.....don't expect the red carpet treatment but if you are polite and respectful they are equally so. As stamp had to be entered into a new passport the procedure was somewhat perhaps more time consuming in my case than for others so allow for plenty of time. I had to sign various forms most seemed in relation to two variations of the proposed overstay rules which have NOT since come into force. It is nerve wracking if like me your overstay is hideously long but best to bite the bullet and face it. At least now it is clear that the blacklisting rules are not in force, when I exited it was extremely uncertain and thus all the more stressful. While they were clearly not pleased with the extreme length of my overstay by the time I concluded matters the senior I/O who was overseeing it became more relaxed ans assured me that I wasn't blacklisted (as indeed proved to be the case when I returned a few days later). You can PM me if you are still worried, but I simply followed UbonJoe's advice and all was well. But better sorted out as soon as you can manage.

• Like 2

I recently renewed my marriage extension at Nong Khai. Has part of the process they handed me a form which I had to sign. I cannot remember what it said precisely but they were various penalties for overstays over three months, most of which implemented a penalty of being barred from entering Thailand depending on the length of overstay and if you were caught or volunteered?

I believe there is blacklisting involved but it is not nearly as severe if you do it voluntarily, which it seems like you would be doing, but I'm not sure if they view clearing it up at immigration the same as the airport. Off topic, but I saw where they had an immigration round up in Sihanoukeville a few weeks ago. Went business to business. I saw the manager of the last guesthouse I stayed at, picture in the newspaper.

what a lot of old twaddle.

BTW, you are aware that Sihanoukville is in Cambodia are you not?

I recently renewed my marriage extension at Nong Khai. Has part of the process they handed me a form which I had to sign. I cannot remember what it said precisely but they were various penalties for overstays over three months, most of which implemented a penalty of being barred from entering Thailand depending on the length of overstay and if you were caught or volunteered?

That is standard practice, but the new rules have not come in effect. So why you have to sign it is beyond me.

• Like 1

what a lot of old twaddle.

BTW, you are aware that Sihanoukville is in Cambodia are you not?

That's where many head to after they wear out there welcome in LOS...it's on a lot of people's radar, that's why I mentioned it, and even warned that it was off-topic, but of interest to some. You are aware that you are an a$$hole, are you not?

That is standard practice, but the new rules have not come in effect. So why you have to sign it is beyond me.

Beyond me too if it is not the law, strange.

Edited by khastan

I have no idea when I queried it they just said sign so having no alternative I did! Strange if you say it is not the law though. Perhaps Nong Khai immigration are getting prepared.

On re-admission that senior lady I/O strongly warned me against even a further one day overstay. Given the length that I had it was more than reasonable and I for one do not intend to find out what action they might deem to take should I overstay again. And in all fairness they would be well within their rights to throw the proverbial book at me were I to overstay again. I suspect like many things in Thailand context is everything. People who habitually overstay a day or two each time may continue to be tolerated while other more long term over-stayers might find they become persona non gratia for contempt by overstaying again. It would be interesting to know if anyone has (foolishly) done multiple long overstays.

Edited by gilo

On re-admission that senior lady I/O strongly warned me against even a further one day overstay. Given the length that I had it was more than reasonable and I for one do not intend to find out what action they might deem to take should I overstay again. And in all fairness they would be well within their rights to throw the proverbial book at me were I to overstay again. I suspect like many things in Thailand context is everything. People who habitually overstay a day or two each time may continue to be tolerated while other more long term over-stayers might find they become persona non gratia for contempt by overstaying again. It would be interesting to know if anyone has (foolishly) done multiple long overstays.

Farcical. You overstay 11 Years and they let you back in. Dont bother retorting or anyone else for that matter as any sane individual will agree its ludicrous in the extreme.

• Like 1

Back-to-back exempts were endorsed and even encouraged by the immigration officers a few years back - so even 11 years of overstay might go under the same bounds - as long as you're willing to pay the fine - instead of hopping over the border - now that things are a bit different, still feels same-same, except it's harder to get legitimate visas - well that's in itself a crackdown of sorts. TiT,

I have no idea when I queried it they just said sign so having no alternative I did! Strange if you say it is not the law though. Perhaps Nong Khai immigration are getting prepared.

Not prepared, they got obsoleted. More practical offices have gave up with scaremongering since a long time.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Last month, while extending my Retirement Visa, I was ordered to read and sign the progressive overstay/blacklisting form- I asked for a copy to show a friend. I was told that they couldn't give me a copy of it.

Farcical. You overstay 11 Years and they let you back in. Dont bother retorting or anyone else for that matter as any sane individual will agree its ludicrous in the extreme.

Thankfully Thailand is a bit more laid back than the western mindset.

That said in some European countries you can be let through without a fine, or any admonishment, and are free to return. At the discretion of the IO.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 2

Not prepared, they got obsoleted. More practical offices have gave up with scaremongering since a long time.

How do you know that?

Last month, while extending my Retirement Visa, I was ordered to read and sign the progressive overstay/blacklisting form- I asked for a copy to show a friend. I was told that they couldn't give me a copy of it.

I also was refused a copy of what I signed.

'I overstayed a year and half in France - I went to turn myself in, and they said they couldn't care less. No fines, no anything. I was brought to Paris as a guest of the mayor's office - even they didn't bother to get me the right visa to begin with, because they said it didn't matter.
I overstayed in Berlin (Schengen region) a year, and traveled all over Europe from there by airport the whole time. No fines, no anything.
I overstayed in Poland by 4 months, the officer said when I was leaving, 'What were you doing here all this time?' (4 months + 3 months automatic), and I explained I was working as an artist. Ok. No fines, no anything.'

Trouble is risked if the police discover the overstay prior to the arriving at the airport.

People should not be overstaying, they are making things worse for those of us who don't, although I can understand a short overstay

for those who make a genuine mistake, but for the people who go and pay their 20.000 Baht, they should not ever be allowed back in to Thailand.

Just think how easy it would be for genuine people to holiday or retire here, if people would or could not work illegally, or overstay etc.