Solar Installation

GinBoy2

Cheap panels can burn out,

What's the backstory on this photo though?

For all we know, the installer may have wired the system to exceed the max. series voltage of the panels.. or a hot cinder could have landed on them.. or they could be junk panels smile.png

A photo like this only raises questions, not answers tongue.png

Yes a photo like this should be asking questions BUT we do not know the full fact off why BUT I would say it is down to the installer, installing to many panels in series, BUT what we also got to ask is why did the panel not fuse at the max out put voltage. Which is what they are designed to do. Hence the short circuit voltage.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheap panels can burn out,

Ouch!!

Many people look at price first and with solar you can not do that, We have been called out to 5 or 6 jobs that other company's have done and had to redo the full setup. One case the customer told the solar installer what they wanted instead off the installer telling her it can not work that way, he just did as she said, A 5kw 3 phase grid tie with 6 x 280w panels on one line and 7 x 280w on another line. the voltage was under for the MPPT to start on the 6 line and the 7 line was only 1 volt over. I told her if she had asked us to install it like this I would have walked away.

Can I also point out that I do not know the company that has installed this set up in this post and do not want to scare the new owner BUT wish him all the best with his new solar set up. More people should be doing the same and installing solar.

So my understanding is; since I'm not part of The Solar Roof program, 'if' I were to be a net exporter in one billing cycle I may have a negative usage, but I get no credit for it.

On the topic of PEA, this is what I found out today: The installer submits all the paperwork to PEA in Bangkok, afterwards they issue a paper back to the installer, which we then take to the local PEA office who then come an do a system inspection. After that, the existing rotary meter is replaced with a digital one

Very interesting topic, and thanks for sharing your experience.

On another topic i read that some digital meters do not run backwards. Might that be the reason why the PEA replaces your analogue meter with a digital one ?

Does your installer have any input on whether or not your digital meter will run backwards ?

Please do keep up the good work and us updated on your experiences.

Soooo. We're all here waiting with bated breath for:-

• Daily production
  • Second by second production analysis (linked to your Sunshine/Pissing-down Availability Report)
  • Payback period updated hourly
  • Amount of beer paid for
  • Any other silly stat your inverter can produce

The subject of the digital meter is certainly a worry, as noted earlier they definitely do go backwards/report exported units but only if programmed to do so (it's an anti-fraud function). A close watch is required.

Even in overcast conditions it will be making some energy, ruddy typical really (although the rain is desperately needed).

It's gone pretty dark here in central BKK (near the metro depot), rain imminent.

Note to self, wait until the wet is over before installing our system.

On efficiency

As the output of the panels is proportional to the incident angle of the sun on them (among other things) I would have thought a motorized frame to continuously adust / tilt the panels for the most optimum angle would improve the output significantly. A simple PIC programmed for latitude and with a clock/calender, a stepper motor driver and stepper motor should do it. Stepper motor drives a threaded rod which operates a sissor lift type of arrangement to raise/lower one end of the panel.

Any thoughts?

goodness gracious! a set-up like this in Thailand? w00t.gif

IMHO, thanks for posting that I was just about to post the same chart. I'm in a deep red area just south of Khon Kaen. Completely unshaded, direct south facing roof installation, so it's just about as good an install as possible.

First panels are about to be mounted, I'll post some pics as soon s it starts

I would like to see the spec on these 250w panels.

If he has the Amorn package I think he has, his system is using the Schutten STP6-250 panels: http://www.schutten-solar.com/uploads/soft/20140401/1396333648.pdf

Correct that's the panels I have

My worry is that the system be damaged by bad weather (hail), although the panels are rated for 25mm ice @ 80kph.

It's pretty rare in BKK, but is insurance coverage available in Thailand for these systems?

My worry is that the system be damaged by bad weather (hail), although the panels are rated for 25mm ice @ 80kph.

It's pretty rare in BKK, but is insurance coverage available in Thailand for these systems?

A friend of mine has a large solar installation in Texas. Hail there comes in golf ball sized chunks. He's never had a problem, so I doubt anything in Thailand will do damage

GibBoy2, I would like to thank you very much for installing your system, you seem to have brought the rain with it, which we needed very badly, just over 12 hours straight here in east Isaan. The nice thing about rain in Isaan is a lot of it seems to fall at night, so wouldn't affect solar production. From what I have read Isaan seems to be the best place in South East Asia for solar. 300 days of sunlight a year and about 4.5 hours a day of peak sun on a fixed southern facing mount. From my research if you have it on a south/north tracking system you will get about 6.42 peak hours. A vertical system doesn't seem to make enough difference to pay for itself.

GinBoy2, I also want to thank you for keeping us posted on how things are working out. I agree with you if I had a spare ฿250,000 sitting in a Thai Bank I would install a system also.

Sorry GinBoy2, just one question and I don't think it has been asked yet. Do you know how much you loose through the inverter? From my reading you lose about 20%, so a 5 kWh system would give you about 4 kWh, but I have no idea if this is true.

Sorry GinBoy2, just one question and I don't think it has been asked yet. Do you know how much you loose through the inverter? From my reading you lose about 20%, so a 5 kWh system would give you about 4 kWh, but I have no idea if this is true.

Modern inverters are well into the 90's efficiency wise.

The unit in question peaks at 97.8% http://www.positronicsolar.com/uploads/Trannergy_Brochure.pdf so guestimating around 90-95% should get the right ball park.

Well just finished the top row of 10 panels, they'll be finishing the bottom row of 10 after lunch. Currently wiring the distribution and inverter boxes.

Is it an optical illusion, or is the spacing between the upper pair of mounting rails different from the spacing of the lower pair?

No it is not an optical illusion, count the tiles between each. For me the over hang on the top row is not good and should off been moved to be inline with the bottom row.

The reason there is a difference in spacing is due to they attach the rail mounts to the roof support steel, so it's all dependent on the underlying steel position

I am very happy so far.

After exactly 7 days of operation, in what was 7 days of cloud & rain for the most part, the total generated power was 130kWh. So at ฿4.3 per unit is ฿559/week. So 4 weeks = ฿2236/month.

Keep that up and I think I made the right investment decision.

As for the paperwork, nothing yet. However heard from the install company yesterday 'saying' PEA in Bangkok is backlogged due to some change in the paperwork requirements and a surge in installs. May or not be true, who knows. The bad part is that now we have to submit the paperwork when it turns up in Korat, which is a pain in the ass, >2 hour drive for me. But hey, the money I save in electricity pays for a tank of gas!

130kWh in the past week with the weather we have had is very good. That averages out to about 3.7 direct sunlight hours per day, and it sure doesn't seem to me we have had anything close to that. At that rate you will get about 564 kWh per month, it may work out way better than that when the rainy season is over. It sure is nice to have you having a real system and posting your figures, so we can see for ourselves how the true figures and estimated figures compare. Thanks for sharing.

I am very happy so far.

After exactly 7 days of operation, in what was 7 days of cloud & rain for the most part, the total generated power was 130kWh. So at ฿4.3 per unit is ฿559/week. So 4 weeks = ฿2236/month.

Keep that up and I think I made the right investment decision.

As for the paperwork, nothing yet. However heard from the install company yesterday 'saying' PEA in Bangkok is backlogged due to some change in the paperwork requirements and a surge in installs. May or not be true, who knows. The bad part is that now we have to submit the paperwork when it turns up in Korat, which is a pain in the ass, >2 hour drive for me. But hey, the money I save in electricity pays for a tank of gas!

Excellent post GinBoy2 I have been considering installing solar system to our home in SaKaeo but never really had a solid review until your one.

How is the system going now? Did you get any feedback regarding your paperwork.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also was interested in this few years back when i was erecting my house south of the country ... At that time technology was not that promising ... Now i think it's the right time for it as more companies are advertising to install such systems down south since the most sunny place in Thailand... Now my question is ... Is this enough to power up A/Cs? Air cons are power hogs and I have approx 9 A/Cs at home which for sure i don't run all same time, at least there are 2 or 3 on regularly during the day. So is that panel with that current power enough for supplying enough juice ? My monthly bill is about 9k baht ... Thanks

@Amr. The systems we are talking about are grid-tie (no batteries), they don't need to provide the oomph to start and run your A/C the mains supply does that. The solar installation runs in parallel with the grid, exporting power during the day (meter goes backwards) and re-importing it at night.

Even a small system will reduce your bill.

@9k a month you're using around 2,250 units, about 75 units a day. To generate that using solar you're looking at about a 15kW system (assuming 5 hours of generation), that's 3 times what our OP has installed.

How does that work when power outage? Does the solar grid tie stuff detect that and cut off? What about brown outs?

Yea, I'm wondering it Thailand requires the inverters to support automatic anti-islanding protocols or detection circuitry.

Or if it's possible to distribute generated power only to the local circuit (during a power outage).

Hi Guys

Tried to add a reply from my recently repaired computer, now using the better half's, some of my replies might have made TV.

I am an Australian licensed electrical contractor, not a salesman, I have a Thai businessman as a partner, we are about to trial a solar storage system which stores power for later use like night time, heavy cloud cover, grid outages,

If you have a power bill of 4000 THB or over our system may be viable to you. It can be added to existing solar systems.

The system works, we are trialing it here so as to get local data not overseas data and as a demostration site.,

PM me if you require any more information.

Regards

BHW

HI CM Kevin

To give you an estimate we need some information on you useage.

If you could take a reading on your PEA or MEA meter at regular periods, like every 3 hours stating at 6 AM last reading 9 PM. Also your average KWH monthly.

Thanks for your interest

BHW