Solar Installation

GinBoy2

As promised I'm starting a new thread to document my solar installation:

This is a 5KW On Grid install. Panels & Inverter supplied by AmornSolar, installation by Baan Solar, who are suppling the rails and install kit.

Panels & Inverter were delivered today as scheduled, and confirmed today that Baan Solar will do the install this coming Sunday & Monday.

Here are pictures of the panels & Inverter, and a picture of the due South roof on which they will be installed:

post-97442-0-38519600-1435824751_thumb.j

post-97442-0-42127400-1435824774_thumb.j

post-97442-0-25864800-1435824786_thumb.j

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's no subscribe option here, so how often should I be refreshing page? tongue.png

Watching with anticipation you might finally encourage me to do it too smile.png

Edit: oh wow, I just found the follow button, yay!

Edited by IMHO

GinBoy,

I'd like to see how they're handling roof penetration and standoff mounting.

Did they mention what impact your roof inclination will have on panel/system efficiency?

Let's hope they're using standard accessories like these:

http://solarcellpensuk.blogspot.com/2014/07/solarcell.html

As for angle - that one's simple - the optimum angle for fixed panels is your latitude wink.png

Edited by IMHO

Thanks a lot for sharing your project and taking the time to write here form time to time. I will be a regular visitor here since I am considering a system like that as well.

Cheers and all the best with your contractor.

Sent from my A1-810 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

what's the estimated total cost and the total m² of the panels?

Panel area 30m2 (20 panels @1.5mx1m)

Total cost inc mounting kit and installation ฿256K

sounds quite fair!

Its a 5KW single phase system

that does not answer my question. i have some figures for Central Europe and would like to compare them with those of Thailand. a pricewise investment comparison is not possible because especially in my home country photovoltaic installations are heavily subsidised.

Its a 5KW single phase system

that does not answer my question. i have some figures for Central Europe and would like to compare them with those of Thailand. a pricewise investment comparison is not possible because especially in my home country photovoltaic installations are heavily subsidised.

He can't give you any real-world figures becasue the system isn't even installed yet smile.png

There are several variables at play: his location in Thailand, the roof/panel angle, panel orientation, panel shading/cleanliness, and weather. Generally speaking, most places in Thailand can expect up to 4-5 hours of useful harvesting per day..

The other way to look at it is annual solar radiation levels:

SolarGIS-Solar-map-Thailand-en.png

Then work that backwards using panel efficiency specs (most are around 14-16%) and your best guess on losses from sub-optimal angles, dirty panel, shading and electrical losses...

or.. find a similar map from your home country and work out a multiplier :)

Edited by IMHO

what's the estimated total cost and the total m² of the panels?

Panel area 30m2 (20 panels @1.5mx1m)

Total cost inc mounting kit and installation ฿256K

Your price is spot on. 5KW system in Australia is approx $9-10k $AUD , which is the same as your price.

5KW is a good size, will run most appliances with no problem.

He can't give you any real-world figures becasue the system isn't even installed yet

i did not ask for a real world figure but a rough estimate based on the assumption that this is the usual procedure when making an investment. of course mileages vary when tree-huggers and carbon-footprint-beancounters are involved tongue.png

IMHO, thanks for posting that I was just about to post the same chart. I'm in a deep red area just south of Khon Kaen. Completely unshaded, direct south facing roof installation, so it's just about as good an install as possible.

First panels are about to be mounted, I'll post some pics as soon s it starts

He can't give you any real-world figures becasue the system isn't even installed yet

i did not ask for a real world figure but a rough estimate based on the assumption that this is the usual procedure when making an investment. of course mileages vary when tree-huggers and carbon-footprint-beancounters are involved tongue.png

Pretty much all solar vendors in TH display ROI calcs based on 5 hours of harvesting per day. Obviously, they are going to display figures based on best-case scenarios though. Based on anecdotal info from various posts around Thailand, if you were to work on 4 hours/day average harvesting, that should get you in the ballpark... with a range of around +20/-10%

Edited by IMHO

Are you selling power back to the grid?

No, my monthly usage is pretty high, so the chances of me being a net exporter to the grid is unlikely

I don't know the terminology, but when you are making more power than you are using, will your meter be reversing?

Well just finished the top row of 10 panels, they'll be finishing the bottom row of 10 after lunch. Currently wiring the distribution and inverter boxes.

Is it an optical illusion, or is the spacing between the upper pair of mounting rails different from the spacing of the lower pair?

No, my monthly usage is pretty high, so the chances of me being a net exporter to the grid is unlikely

I don't know the terminology, but when you are making more power than you are using, will your meter be reversing?

Yup, that's what's expected to happen, it goes forwards again at night. Provided it goes forwards more than it goes backwards there's no issue (so you are a net importer of power).

Since our OP is apparently getting permission sorted with PEA perhaps the question could be asked, what happens if I become a net exporter for say, one billing cycle?

Yup, that's what's expected to happen, it goes forwards again at night. Provided it goes forwards more than it goes backwards there's no issue (so you are a net importer of power).

Since our OP is apparently getting permission sorted with PEA perhaps the question could be asked, what happens if I become a net exporter for say, one billing cycle?

So my understanding is; since I'm not part of The Solar Roof program, 'if' I were to be a net exporter in one billing cycle I may have a negative usage, but I get no credit for it.

On the topic of PEA, this is what I found out today: The installer submits all the paperwork to PEA in Bangkok, afterwards they issue a paper back to the installer, which we then take to the local PEA office who then come an do a system inspection. After that, the existing rotary meter is replaced with a digital one

Yea,

do they credit the account and allow it to roll over into the next billing cycle, or

do they negate it so the bill is never <-0.0 (with PEA/MEA being the benefactor of your generosity)

What will their policy be?

Yea,

do they credit the account and allow it to roll over into the next billing cycle, or

do they negate it so the bill is never <-0.0 (with PEA/MEA being the benefactor of your generosity)

What will their policy be?

I don't have a definitive answer, but I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be!

Inverter & Breaker boxes being wired up.

having a little pause outside, 4 more panels to mount, but....hasn't rained for frikkin weeks and it decides to p*ss it down this afternoon

post-97442-0-48878100-1436170620_thumb.j

Edited by GinBoy2