Photos of TOT repairing Fiber Optic Trunk

RichCor

A few days ago two of our neighbors lost their homes when an electrical fire started at a refrigerator plug point.

The resulting fire burned hot enough to set the utility wires ablaze, including several Fiber Optic trunk lines.

There are 5 Fiber Optic Trunk cables running along the road. Two of those belong to TOT and they were out today to splice in replacement sections.

TOT_FibreRepair_1.png

TOT_FibreRepair_2.png

TOT_FibreRepair_3.png

TOT_FibreRepair_4.png

TOT_FibreRepair_5.png

Sorry for hijacking.

ToT doing the splicing at our house (Mar 2014).

Someday in the future one of these overladden trucks, excavators etc. will tear down the trunks leading to the village wink.png

P1000269.JPG

Unfortunately a "shaky" picture, splicer opened:

P1000274.JPG

Edited by KhunBENQ

My fear is that one day I'll see the overly generous extra spool of fibre cable in my house get pulled back out through the wall vent, along with the GPON, Router followed closely by my WiFi Access Point when your overladden truck/excavators tears through the village (a la the gopher stealing the carrot).

My fear is that one day I'll see the overly generous extra spool of fibre cable in my house get pulled back out through the wall vent, along with the GPON, Router followed closely by my WiFi Access Point when your overladden truck/excavators tears through the village (a la the gopher stealing the carrot).

Happened in Phuket already! rolleyes.gif A back-hoe got its bucket caught in overhead cables in my soi when new drains were being dug. The brainless moron operator started spinning the back-hoe around in a ridiculous attempt to disentangle it. He nearly pulled down a power pole to which the electric cable were attached and broke a few telephone cables.

The real shocker was when TOT arrived to repair the cables and the foreman overseeing the work said it was nothing to do with his people. Fortunately both my neighbour and I were witnesses to this farce and said what happened, so the foreman sloped off cursing.

Edit: I now carry a pocket camera at all times.

Edited by JetsetBkk

If the wife has the modem in her hand at the time...all the better.

Just joking, 555

I paid THB 1600 to upgrade to fibre optic cable but have seen no real difference, with still having drop outs and continued low signal regularly during the day which was the same on copper. Has anyone had the same issues. I live in Samut Prakarn area.

I paid THB 1600 to upgrade to fibre optic cable but have seen no real difference, with still having drop outs and continued low signal regularly during the day which was the same on copper. Has anyone had the same issues. I live in Samut Prakarn area.

Forgive my ignorance but it seems to me that if the fibre optics are a simple extension from the existing copper cabling there would be no appreciative difference in performance. Is this a false belief?

"...still having drop outs and continued low signal regularly during the day"

How do you get 'low signal regularly during the day' with fibre?

Do you mean WiFi? That's a separate issue entirely.

What happens if you connect directly to your router via Ethernet cable? What do you get then?

Forgive my ignorance but it seems to me that if the fibre optics are a simple extension from the existing copper cabling there would be no appreciative difference in performance. Is this a false belief?

They're not an extension, they're a replacement. Even in Thailand, fiber is available up to 1gbps (1000mbps) for domestic fiber customers. Copper is no competition.

They're not an extension, they're a replacement. Even in Thailand, fiber is available up to 1gbps (1000mbps) for domestic fiber customers. Copper is no competition.

I can't speak for Bangkok, but when I had fibre-optic cable installed (free) by China Telecom in Shanghai, all they did was run the said cable from the junction box outside the building into my apartment. This achieved much higher optimal speeds but on average there wasn't much of an improvement.

Even in Thailand, fiber is available up to 1gbps (1000mbps) for domestic fiber customers. Copper is no competition.

The onsite repair crew I chatted with said TOT is starting to roll out 10G-EPON.

I didn't ask if that was Symmetric 10/10G-EPON or Asymmetric 10/1G-EPON.

No it is correct, the signal would only be as good as what the copper could deliver.

Very false.

Fibre optic cables are THE backbone of the internet.

Copper to the house will come from some point where it is connected to the fibre backbone.

About every bit reaching Thailand from overseas comes through fibre optic undersea cables.

Move and zoom into this map to get an idea:

http://www.cablemap.info/

The fattest line (as far as I know): ROTACS (China, Japan, UK) with 60 Terabit/s ~ 60'000 Gbit/s ~ 60'000'000 MBit/s.

With the fibre connected to private homes the providers offer up to 1000 MBit/s (theoretical number).

No way with copper.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I can't speak for Bangkok, but when I had fibre-optic cable installed (free) by China Telecom in Shanghai, all they did was run the said cable from the junction box outside the building into my apartment. This achieved much higher optimal speeds but on average there wasn't much of an improvement.

That means they already had fiber in the street - you don't "last mile" copper with fiber :)

As for average speeds remaining the same - that's going to be because your plan, the contention ratio and/or the actual backbone capacity didn't change.

Happened in Phuket already! rolleyes.gif A back-hoe got its bucket caught in overhead cables in my soi when new drains were being dug. The brainless moron operator started spinning the back-hoe around in a ridiculous attempt to disentangle it. He nearly pulled down a power pole to which the electric cable were attached and broke a few telephone cables.

The real shocker was when TOT arrived to repair the cables and the foreman overseeing the work said it was nothing to do with his people. Fortunately both my neighbour and I were witnesses to this farce and said what happened, so the foreman sloped off cursing.

Unless TOT is now doing drains I don't see why they would be responsible for causing the damage.

Unless TOT is now doing drains I don't see why they would be responsible for causing the damage.

Well, you're not going to get the electricity company to repair the telephone lines. crazy.gif

The real shocker was [, ]when TOT arrived to repair the cables [, ]the foreman overseeing the [onsite screwup] work said it was nothing to do with his people. Fortunately both my neighbour and I were witnesses to this farce and said what happened, so the foreman sloped off cursing.

For want of a pair of commas, for the hard of reading.

The real shocker was [, ]when TOT arrived to repair the cables [, ]the foreman overseeing the [onsite screwup] work said it was nothing to do with his people. Fortunately both my neighbour and I were witnesses to this farce and said what happened, so the foreman sloped off cursing.

For want of a pair of commas, for the hard of reading.

biggrin.png I knew I should've phrased that better!

I was considering to re-post it thus:

"The real shocker was, when TOT arrived to repair the telephone cables, the foreman overseeing the drainage work said the broken cables were nothing to do with his people. Fortunately both my neighbour and I were witnesses to this farce and said what happened, so the foreman sloped off cursing."

My apologies for being lazy. smile.png