Chiang Mai citizens struggle with an avalanche of overbearing billboards

Lite Beer

Chiang Mai citizens struggle with an avalanche of overbearing billboards
CITYLIFE
CHIANG MAI

30263768-01_big.jpg
Many advertising signs can be spotted around the northern city of Chiang Mai. (Photo courtesy of Citylife Chiang Mai)

CHIANG MAI: -- DESPITE its scenic beauty, green spaces and strict restrictions on building height and design control, the city of Chiang Mai finds itself overshadowed by massive advertising billboards.

Where once people could drive around the highway and admire Doi Suthep in the skyline, today they just see one giant four-storey billboard after another.

To put this proliferation of billboards into context, Citylife counted the number of billboards found along Nimmanhaemin Road, Chang Klan Road's Night Bazaar and the Airport Plaza Intersection.

The kilometre-long stretch on Nimmanhaemin Road boasted 63 hoardings in public spaces and 581 on private spaces. In the 850-metre Night Bazaar stretch on Chang Klan Road, there are 40 signs and 294 on private property. From the Airport Plaza intersection, 26 signs were detected on public spaces and 104 on private property.

According to the 1992 Sign Board Tax Act, no signs obstructing or cluttering public spaces can be put up without consent from authorities. Violators will have to pay fines and remove the signs, though in reality, the authorities themselves seem to be compounding the problem.

"The municipality is the reason why there are so many signs in our city," the owner of a top sign company said. "The mayor has overseen the most unprecedented increase in the number of billboards in Chiang Mai's history.

"Putting up a hoarding on your own property, be it for your own product or if you are renting your location to another company, is very simple, provided you are not advertising alcohol or cigarettes, and the sign is not an impediment to public space. If the sign requires construction, then you must get an architect to sign off on it and you are pretty much guaranteed permission from the municipality. The company will pay the tax for you and you can just sit back and collect the rent for your space."

There are three tax levels for signs: if it is in Thai, it costs Bt3 for every 500 square centimetres; add a foreign language and it costs Bt20 per year; and if the ad is in a foreign language or if the Thai text is too small, it costs Bt40.

"What concerns me is this new spate of signs on public land," the man, who asked to remain anonymous, continued. "This is controlled by either the municipality, or in some cases the Highway Department. As far as I know, only three Bangkok-based companies hold all the concessions for public advertisements in Chiang Mai. No company here is involved as far as I know. So let's say a company from Bangkok comes up and asks the municipality for a concession to place 100 billboards: they will pay a concession fee, are granted the right to build billboards for a contracted period and then pay their tax. I don't know what other deals they have to make, but you should be able to get the accounts from the mayor's office."

Citylife failed in its attempt get a look at the accounts at the mayor's office, though it was told that the money went into the city's coffers and was used as per the annual budget.

"I pay hundreds of thousands of baht every year for all my clients' taxes," the man said. "I have negotiated contracts for my clients on 30 properties. But I have never negotiated with the authorities for public space. In the past, companies from Bangkok would 'donate' garbage bins, bus shelters or police boxes in return for a relatively subtle logo or a small ad. Today they can advertise anywhere.

"As a local, I know that large billboards don't work because Chiang Mai people hate them. People have even brought down billboards, like the one advertising bras against the backdrop of Doi Suthep. The latest outrage is over the massive digital screens recently erected on Tha Pae Road."

A Bangkok-based company signed a three-year contract with the mayor to put up these massive screens and agreed that 30 per cent of the display would be used for public announcements. There's no mention of the income the city is getting from this concession.

"We have recently installed over 80 CCTV cameras across the city. But there's no point in having CCTV if people don't know about them," Mayor Tassanai Buranupakorn said.

"Studies show that up to 70 per cent of crime can be reduced this way. The live feeds displayed on the large digital screens will boost awareness and the screens will also be used to make public announcements.

"Initially we were going to put them up at the Three Kings monument as well as Tha Pae Gate, but we just picked this one location to minimise the clutter."

The anonymous man said: "It's all very slick. These companies start off by putting up signs to honour Their Majesties or put up public service announcements. This way no one can complain. Then, once we get used to them, they slowly switched to commercial advertisements."

Architect Pawat Tantayanusorn, managing director of Niwat Architects, believes that Chiang Mai's development has been following the Bangkok format - to its detriment.

"Chiang Mai is a special city. It has culture, history, architecture and nature. It should have its own set of laws. In fact, the old city is already doing this, but Chiang Mai is more than just the area within the old moat. Development should be controlled in the entire city.

The mayor, however, was ambivalent.

"If you want to put a sign up on your property, I can't stop you provided you follow the rules. It takes years to change the law. I have changed some and will continue to do so. We also need to think about businesses and need Chiang Mai to grow and develop so everyone benefits," the mayor said.

Tul Lekutai, president of Chiang Mai University's Faculty of Architecture Alumni Association, said: "It isn't easy, and, following pressure groups' requests, the mayor has made great strides in the old city. Building heights are controlled now and even roofs have to conform to the Lanna kalae design and only certain colours can be used."

Pawat agreed that public pressure was bringing some results.

"The top-down management of Chiang Mai is slowly changing … I suggest that we first use social and traditional media, then ask members to make viral videos or record instances of signage abuse. Get the academic sector involved," he said.

"I would look at current concessions and their contacts. Once we have a plan we need to tell them that their contracts will not be renewed. Once they expire, we set new rules to control where and how many public spaces can be used for advertising," Pawat said.

Citylife has set up a Facebook page "SignCityChiangMai" and hopes people will post photos of this visual pollution.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Chiang-Mai-citizens-struggle-with-an-avalanche-of--30263768.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-05

The digital screen at Airport Plaza intersection is downright dangerous. Even when faced away from it ; at night it lights up the flyover with whatever colour. So the whole flyover can suddenly go from dark to white to red. It can suddenly distract you at the wrong moment. Then of course you might be facing the screen and it is way too bright and flickering images etc.

Yes,they are an eyesore,also dangerous,when they have them at

road junctions,blocking sight of oncoming traffic,no thought at

all from the people that put them up,Thai people need to realize,

and care more about what they are doing to their environment,

with noise,air and visual pollution,all out of control.

regards worgeordie

regards worgeordie

Before they realize all that they will breed a flying pig.

"It takes years to change the law..."

So, have they start making such changes?

Or, because it takes years, no action has been made to change things after so many years later?

Reminds me of the streets around Pattaya! NO THANKS!!

regards worgeordie

The stupidity of this latest effort to make CM an even uglier city is that the cost effectiveness for advertisers is abysmal.Its purely a visual effect with no sound .I have driven past many and to be honest had no idea or interest in what they were advertising. I'm too busy watching the road and other traffic. The power bill and rental cost, must be huge.

Whoever dreamt up this latest scam for CM should be exposed and as others have said they have added yet another dangerous situation on our roads.

the height of stupidity,,,,,, cementing a advertisment pole sign in the middle of the footpath. must be same people who set timing lights at cross walks and intersections. or activate traffic signals and pot some rube cop in center interestion to direct traffic.

the town offficials must have the blackout film on windows reverese, they cant see out at the garbage dump the adminster to instead of peoplenot being able to see inside the car as to who is responsible for the jungle of trash, missplaced objects, road obstructions etc.

a weekly ride around the moat in open air back of truck. issue onlookers flowers or rotten veggies to chunk at official to express their pleasure or otherwise, maybe they could get a hint to their public approval.

regards worgeordie

The stupidity of this latest effort to make CM an even uglier city is that the cost effectiveness for advertisers is abysmal.Its purely a visual effect with no sound .I have driven past many and to be honest had no idea or interest in what they were advertising. I'm too busy watching the road and other traffic. The power bill and rental cost, must be huge.

Whoever dreamt up this latest scam for CM should be exposed and as others have said they have added yet another dangerous situation on our roads.

You've hit the nail on the head. The more signs - the less you see. The new development at the 121/Samoeng Road Intersection boasts one shop that advertises Graphic Desgn amongst other services. The whole front of their building is covered in signs to such a degree that it is clearly creating visual confusion. And they are designers?

That doesn't bother me at all compared to the one, two, or three pickup trucks mounted with mega-watt speakers, driving in a line, all blaring a different messages in excess of 150 decibels.

Signs <pfffff> easy to ignore.

"The municipality is the reason why there are so many signs in our city," the owner of a top sign company said. "The mayor has overseen the most unprecedented increase in the number of billboards in Chiang Mai's history.

$$$฿฿฿ Chaa-Chinggg ฿฿฿$$$

More billboards, more accidents waiting to happen. With so many distractions to drivers and riders, a few more will help to keep down the population. Do these people who put up the billboards care? In your dreams.

what about the milions of km of cables going everywhere, cats , dogs and rats ....in the street. ....these things are also garbage that everybody can see every day.all this plus the publicity garbage , all together ....it is thailand,

coffee1.gif

ps: i forgot to mention that beautifull architecture, what they build everywhere thats also another kind of polution

Edited by VINCENT2012

More billboards, more accidents waiting to happen. With so many distractions to drivers and riders, a few more will help to keep down the population. Do these people who put up the billboards care? In your dreams.

The real question is; do the Thai people care?

Chiang Mai seriously needs preservation. We do not need another Bangkok in the northern Thailand. They should elect a mayor who has true love and passion for Chiang Mai, not another government official who is just interested in monetary gains.

I guess that is just my wishful thinking..

Problem is mostly mindset. Big , flashy, expensive signs most likely seen by many as something to be admired.

Akin to all the latest stuff on the smartphone - modern, flashy, glitzy, bling and all that stuff.

A large sector of the population actually likes all that stuff. Some would call it a lack of taste !

Another topic another lack of proper management by gov officials...

Gov officials = crux of problem

Respectfully, I disagree. The problem goes much deeper than the government officials. Unless the majority of Thai people want change, and petition for it, the government officials have no reason to change anything, especially if they are making money the way things are.

Problem is mostly mindset. Big , flashy, expensive signs most likely seen by many as something to be admired.

Akin to all the latest stuff on the smartphone - modern, flashy, glitzy, bling and all that stuff.

A large sector of the population actually likes all that stuff. Some would call it a lack of taste !

That is a major reason for what is going one, on many different levels in many different areas. We Westerners have a VERY different idea of how our cities should look. Every culture has its own. There is no mistaking a small town in Iowa for a small town in Japan or a small town in Switzerland. And there is no mistaking a small town in Thailand either. Many American small town will not permit a McDonald's "Golden Arc" sign if a shop opens. They are required to use a small, unobtrusive sign instead. Billboards? LOL! Not a chance! Right now, the Thai cultural climate says 'bling! is good.' Gaudy is fine.

I couldn't believe the noise when the sound trucks came around during Election Time in Japan. If you thing the Thai trucks are loud, do NOT go to Japan. They even use loudspeakers from low-flying Cessna's! I turned to my Japanese girlfriend at the time and said "How do you put up with this noise all the time?" She replied; "What noise?" Rural village homes have speakers on the walls in the kitchens, connected to the village office. Eight or ten times a day there are announcements. I asked my sister-in-law: "Why don't you get rid of that speaker?" She said; "Oh! I couldn't! I'd miss all the announcements!"

There is also the very Asian concept that 'we decorate inside the house. Screw the outside.' We see that in the extreme in the other side of the Orient. Magnificent homes complete with lush gardens, fountains, swimming pools and tennis courts, hidden from sight behind drab, clay walls 15 feet high, fronting on a barren and dusty dirt road. The residents don't care how their houses look from the outside, or even how their village looks to strangers passing through.

This ain't Kansas any more.

I've always thought Chiang Mai has a size problem. It's to big to be quaint but to small to be cosmopolitan. There are more interesting regions in Thailand.

Edited by BudRight

One of the best laws ever passed and enforced in Hawaii.......part of the reason for calling it paradise.....

When you visit Hawaii, you won’t be bombarded with billboard advertisements. In fact, you won’t see billboards at all. Hawaii is one of four states that ban billboards. (Alaska, Maine and Vermont are the other three states with billboard bans.) The Outdoor Circle has championed the Aloha State’s billboard-free efforts.

regards worgeordie

Every time I walk over to the Airport Plaza, along Huey Kaew Rd, or nearly anywhere, I have to remove large signs from the walkway, or be forced to step into traffic. Another HUGE danger is motorbikes parked on the walk ways. I'd suggest a b10,000 Pedestrian Endangerment Fine,...with 10% going to the cops who write the ticket. That should get things cleaned up quickly.