Cost of Living in Thailand: How I Spend ฿74,031.83 Every Month

pinkpanther99

I often read people asking about cost of living in Thailand on here and the blog post below gives a pretty good insight into how much living in Thailand can cost.

http://www.karstenaichholz.com/money/cost-of-living-in-thailand-how-i-spend-thb-74031-83-every-month/

When I read the headline, I thought that spending ฿74,031.83 was a bit excessive but when you see it broken down it doesn't seem too much.

With regards to my own spending, I have a wife an kid but guess I would spend close to what the guy does in that article, although I make sure we save a decent amount of it each month too for emergencies and holidays back 'home'.

Of course everyone is different but rather than getting hung up on the figures, I think it reminds us again that Thailand perhaps isn't quite as affordable as some may think.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only since coming back to the UK have I realised just how expensive Thailand can be. There are a lot of things here that are far cheaper and when you factor in working here compared to thailand it makes it even worse.

I still can't wait to get back though biggrin.png

a lot of that could be weeded out id say at least 30k coffee gifts alcohol donations, health insurance( hes 33 yrs old?)

Yes agree with this. I'm a similar age and this is about what I manage to save each month as don't spend excessive amounts on Starbucks, booze or gifts...

Only since coming back to the UK have I realised just how expensive Thailand can be. There are a lot of things here that are far cheaper and when you factor in working here compared to thailand it makes it even worse.

yes, and this is the point I was trying to make.

I have friends back in the UK who think you can live in Thailand on just a few hundred pounds a month but it's just not like that.

Council tax, car tax, car insurance, MOT, eating out, women, housing, heating ................

a lot of that could be weeded out id say at least 30k coffee gifts alcohol donations, health insurance( hes 33 yrs old?)

Coffee? You can't scrimp on coffee man, come on.......................coffee1.gif

I have friends back in the UK who think you can live in Thailand on just a few hundred pounds a month but it's just not like that.

Its possible to live cheaply in thailand. if you dont have rent ie u buy an apartment avoid european/western food.

Shop in thai markets as opposed to the likes of villa. Not drinking or smoking will help as well

rijit

Edited by rijit

Coffee? You can't scrimp on coffee man, come on.......................coffee1.gif

He already is,, 1000 bht a mnth thats half a starbucks/true medium americano a day :P

rijit

He already is,, 1000 bht a mnth thats half a starbucks/true medium americano a day tongue.png

rijit

We're talking about coffee here, not starbucks...........................blink.png

tongue.png

2x insurance

5600 Baht Donations every month

15780 for rent...what a palace?

There are people who live OK with 12.000 baht per month and they don't live bad.

In central ish Bangkok 15000 will get u a halfway decent one bedroom apartment no palace but perfectly livable 35/40 mtrs, decent block not to far from skytrain

rijit

Edited by rijit

And the maid.

rijit

might be dual purposewink.png

2x insurance

There are people who live OK with 12.000 baht per month and they don't live bad.

In central ish Bangkok 15000 will get u a halfway decent one bedroom apartment no palace but perfectly livable 35/40 mtrs, decent block not to far from skytrain

rijit

Before I rent a complete house, a bit outside. Enough place for an office with 4-5 people and living upstair and it cost me 6500 Baht per month. My staff rent 1 bed apartments for 1000-1500 Baht per month (also a bit outside) so I think there must be something that is a bit more center but still cheaper than 15K.

With a condo bought and paid for I'm convinced I could exist on 300 Baht a day living expense with things like electric/water and internet/tv excluded.

Exist mind you.

In reality I wouldn't do it for less than 100k Baht a month.

So?

33 year olds get ill and have accidents too, bro. You do NOT want to be without health insurance here.

Won't be expensive for someone that young but the bill for even a short hospitalization here can make one's eyes water.

On the subject of living costs, I compare my outgoings in Asoke, Bangkok to those in West London and difference is night & day. Literally 40% of the cost - that's a no-brainer for me.

My spend here is 40K rent (large condo, Asoke), 10K utilities, 3.5K health insurance and 15-20K food. Booze, negligible; No stipends; no hoes

For ME, Bangkok is dirt cheap

Frankly, 74K baht/month seems about right to me for a single guy. A little while ago Hubby and I were approached by a writer from International Living magazine to disclose our retirement living budget for our "carefree life" in Chiang Mai. Now realize were deeply involved in the community, he's the president of a Rotary club and I'm the president of the CM Expats Club, but we rent a fairly modest condo and don't travel much. We do eat out frequently and like our wine (hey, who doesn't?) I also record every baht we spend and donate on Quicken and shared it with the writer from International Living magazine.

Needless to say, his editor didn't like the results. She said it just can't be possible. She thought everyone who retired in Chiang Mai was living on less than $1000 per month. Frankly, I think we put the writer between the rock and a hard place because he had a great "get" in having us disclose our budget but the results weren't what the editor was expecting.

She wrote some weasel words about how if you stripped out our charitable contributions and "over insurance" then our budget wouldn't be so high and finally published the article.

2x insurance

Have 2 places of residence in Thailand. One is in the "sticks". 15'000 Bht per month will do nicely. (There is just no place to really spend "big money".) On the other hand, if I stay at the other place (Tourist-Hub), the amount I spend per month is x 3, and this without major engagements within the Bar / Hostess scene.

Basically, I live in 2 different "worlds". If I get tired of one world, I switch over to the other world.

Cheers.

Not anymore - unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must still live with mum because getting a roof over your head in the UK costs a hell of a lot more than in Thailand.

Not anymore - unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canary Sun, TV 's most prolific cheap Charlie, reckons he lives on around THB 6000/m

I know that some TV members get tired of the "cost of living" threads (or as other people say, "Cheap Charlie threads") but I really do think they are useful for some of us (so thank you if you are sharing). I love finding out about peoples' expenses and their varied lifestyles. Though it seems like people living on the lower end are more reluctant to talk about it. Other than Canarysun, of course. But I think he's back in the UK.

Yes, there is a myth here in the USA that you can "live like a king" in Thailand for little money. I have heard it from several people.

I'm living comfortably (alone) in an apartmentarrow-10x10.png in Bangkok on 15,000 a month. I save 5,000 baht on some months even.

On $3,000 a month (whether or not you agree that's considered little money based on US standards that's up to you) you can indeed live like a king, especially in Isaan.

Edited by MatteoBassini