Cost of Living in Thailand: How I Spend ฿74,031.83 Every Month

pinkpanther99

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spend 75k a month and you will die.

it s impossible for a guy to spend so much money in himself and not have any cholesterol problem.

if you eat and drink a lot, you will spend Maximum 20k.

when you sleep, I doubt you spend money. maybe in your American dreams... lol

:blink:

:lol:

Another member of the mamma noodle staple diet brigade

Is the 20k a monthly or weekly total ?

Only since coming back to the UK have I realised just how expensive Thailand can be. There are a lot of things here that are far cheaper and when you factor in working here compared to thailand it makes it even worse.

I still can't wait to get back though biggrin.png

yes, and this is the point I was trying to make.

I have friends back in the UK who think you can live in Thailand on just a few hundred pounds a month but it's just not like that.

Its possible to live cheaply in thailand. if you dont have rent ie u buy an apartment avoid european/western food.

Shop in thai markets as opposed to the likes of villa. Not drinking or smoking will help as well

rijit

Condos are grossly overpriced in Bkk.

Compared to a scenario where you would pay around 7-10k per month rent, (for the same condo) an upfront purchase is essentially equal to paying over 50 years of rent in advance.

If you are young and have kids here to hand down to its ok, but many with that kind of money simply will not live long enough to make it a viable prospect.

Of course the figures will change in the future, inflation and rent increase and so on, but one must factor in the corporate body fees each year for condo owners, which can also be very expensive.

Factor in uncertainty in foreign ownership laws, and of course immigration laws, and then the chance that Thailand could not be such a good place to live in future. Also tips the scale against ownership IMO

Wife and I spend 40k month in total. Some months more, a few a bit less. We eat out once a week and have most of our laundry done. Her cholesterol and my high bp meds. 2k for her parents. Her scooter costs, my transport to work. We spend an addl avg 2k a month on 2-3 domestic trips (25k both) total about twenty days. We take two intl trips annually. Japan has been one destination last few years, usually about 60k for 7-9 days (both). Trips to USA vary.

I can easily get by on 15 a month in pocket money.

No idea what you people spend your money on, I hope its a nice pad and lots of sashimi. Maybe its lonely guy syndrome, need to go out every night to get some people around you. Maybe you just cant adjust to eating rice 3x or even 1x a day. Dunno.

Ive never seen anyone with big pockets post up their budget. I think there would be hilarity.

Being married does not save you money. That's for damn sure.

I'm 55 and had my share of ladies in my youth. I did Pattaya in a big way for years in its glory. I'm very happy to be with a cute 39yo who looks ten yrs younger. We are boring and she is low maintenance and I love her for it.

I'm still true to myself, we travel as much as we can.

Save money, there's still adventures out there! Find somone you love and show her the world.

Way I look at it, I'm very young. A lot can go wrong with this eorld before I die and I've got a younger wife to think about. I'm not some old dodger here living the dream on the last 5-10 years of my life.

We may go live in US or even Japan if jpy keeps weakening.

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

it s impossible for a guy to spend so much money in himself and not have any cholesterol problem.

75k does not cover my fixed outgoings per month so I guess my cholesterol levels should be just fine then.

Wife and I spend 40k month in total. Some months more, a few a bit less. We eat out once a week and have most of our laundry done. Her cholesterol and my high bp meds. 2k for her parents. Her scooter costs, my transport to work. We spend an addl avg 2k a month on 2-3 domestic trips (25k both) total about twenty days. We take two intl trips annually. Japan has been one destination last few years, usually about 60k for 7-9 days (both). Trips to USA vary.

No idea what you people spend your money on, I hope its a nice pad and lots of sashimi. Maybe its lonely guy syndrome, need to go out every night to get some people around you. Maybe you just cant adjust to eating rice 3x or even 1x a day. Dunno.

Maybe it's because you eat rice 3x a day that you need high B.P. meds, mate.

Getting through 75K a month is easy in Bangkok if you want a few comforts like Western food, good quality, contemporary fixtures and fittings in your decently-sized condo close to a BTS and a few drinks at upmarket bars or clubs.

I wouldn't slate someone for living frugally if he/she is comfortable and happy that way but it ain't for me.

Besides, I've seen rents going for 3 or 4 times the 40 large I pay for my place and they go like hotcakes.

Clearly, a LOT of people are making real bank in Bangkok

Again it is all relative. I read on TVF many times about cost of living in Thailand and not only does it come down to your location in Thailnad, but also 2 other things . . .

1) A persons savings

2) Whether or not said person has a good pension or job in LOS that pays well.

Im not talking about the 2 week millionaires here, but long stayers say 6 months or longer.

I spent 6 months in Pattaya earlier this year, I am 47 with no UK pension or other income apart from my work in the UK ( I am a self employed tradesman ). I spent 150.000 in total in that 6 months on everything inc accom, food, beer and the odd lady. I live within my means because if I went around flashing my cash all the time, I would surely find myself in a dire situation financially and I am looking to be permanent in SE Asia one day so don't want to blow my nads in too early in life.

I stayed in 3 different condos in my 6 months, my first was in nirun condo on Soi Arunothai for 6000, 2nd was on soi 15 between bukhao and 3rd rd and last 2 months on Soi Lengkee. I went out nearly every night but I am not a drunk, I rarely drank more than 8 bottles of Leo a night, and ate when I was hungry, sometimes street food sometimes not, but I never ate at expensive places.

I realise most would call me a cheap charlie and that is fair enough, but as stated earlier, I am not in a position to blow money.

I do not worry about other farangs who have more money, or less, I just live in the way I feel comfortable. Sure, I would be happier to maybe afford a better condo, say 1 bedroom rather than studio, but I have the perception that I only sleep there, so if it is comfortable and not too noisy outside, I am ok. I am coming back for 4 weeks soon and will probably spend more on my accom as I am only here for 1 month.

If I won the lottery, I am not the type of guy to go out and buy a Ferrari, or 8 bed mansion. I am happy with what I can afford and if I cannot afford something, I go without. Most people say Nirun is horrible but it was the best out of 3 I stayed in as it was the cleanest and quietest, no dogs barking or noise from drunks etc, plus everything on the doorstep such as shops, pharmacy and laundry. The only drawback was it was a bit of a walk to bukhao which is where I like to go for a drink but as the weather is normally great, I enjoy the walk.

In a nutshell, some can afford a better quality of life in LOS and spend like that

Some can afford it but still choose to live frugally

Some cannot afford luxury and live within their means

And some cannot afford luxury but spend like they can

The latter usually find themselves moaning about life or, more sadly, taking a dive from a high balcony

Thanks for reading :)

Getting through 75K a month is easy in Bangkok if you want a few comforts like Western food,

Western food is cheap ..............

attachicon.gif2015-09-22 19.05.38-1.jpg

35bht a plate, and an hour of my time.

You'll have to excuse me but I simply don't dine at the end of the market from where "dishes" like that originate.

I'm talking about imported meats, fruits, trusted brand names but I'm not sure your pension will stretch, MaeJo

I'm talking about imported meats, fruits, trusted brand names but I'm not sure your pension will stretch, MaeJo

Everything originates in China these days.

It don't matter what they stick on the label.

You can kid yourself that's the case if it makes you feel better, bro.

Personally, I'm happy to pay that little extra for the good stuff

Where I live...if you rent, it's 1800 USD a month. Then maybe 500 a month on groceries, car stuff, normal bills, phone, eating out, other misc. house bills...

now it's up to 2800 a month and you have nothing to show for it.....just surviving.

i know you can get funny guesthouse for 4000 baht a month......of course it's not nearly as nice. but all that means is you need to get out more....

you can get a nice guesthouse up north for 10,000 baht a month and it would only be about 1/3 as nice as USA, but that's fine.

i think thailand is AT LEAST 1/2 as cheap as USA IF....IF you stay long enough. Because airfare is about 1500 USD for coach (of course, i only fly in a private jet) and if you can spread that out for 6-months it will work out to 30,000 baht a month for surviving.

surviving is not fun.....so i spend 10 million a month.

Edited by puukao

Getting through 75K a month is easy in Bangkok if you want a few comforts like Western food,

You'll have to excuse me but I simply don't dine at the end of the market from where "dishes" like that originate.

When we lived in Thailand, we lived in Nonthaburi and our expenses went something like this:

Rent- 5000 a month for a two bedroom townhouse.

Utilities- about 2000 a month

School fees - about 7000 a month

Everything else - about 30K

We had a good life, ate well, family of four. But I guess there's a difference when you live in the suburbs. All our friends were in the suburbs, and with two young kids we wouldn't have gone into BKK that often.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live right in BKK, but it's different when you have a family.

Maybe it's because you eat rice 3x a day that you need high B.P. meds, mate.

Getting through 75K a month is easy in Bangkok if you want a few comforts like Western food, good quality, contemporary fixtures and fittings in your decently-sized condo close to a BTS and a few drinks at upmarket bars or clubs.

I wouldn't slate someone for living frugally if he/she is comfortable and happy that way but it ain't for me.

Besides, I've seen rents going for 3 or 4 times the 40 large I pay for my place and they go like hotcakes.

Clearly, a LOT of people are making real bank in Bangkok

They sure are good at wasting baht. I can find a nice apartment for 3500 baht a month(long term lease). Good 3 star accomodation w/ aircon and free wifi included. Believe it or not, there are guys paying 5x as much for the same place in Bangkok. They 'google' for apartments and get taken in by the real estate agents sharks.

blink.png

laugh.png

I don't get your post. Are you saying that one can only eat unhealthy rubbish for 20,000/ month?

How many Thais can spend 20,000 a month on food? Average pay is around 9 to 15 thousand a month.

Ever heard of markets?

My food budget for two of us is a basic 5,000/ month, but snacks/ restaurants are not included in that.

Of course if one wants to eat a western diet expect to pay big money, but I didn't move to LOS to eat unhealthy expensive imported western processed food.

imported meats, fruits, trusted brand names

cheesy.gif

So you pay large to eat imported fruit when it's fresh off the tree in LOS, meat when it's fresh killed in LOS, western "brands" full of chemicals ( ever read those labels? ).

I suppose you think Thai food is full of sprays etc, but western processed food is hardly free of chemicals, and the Thais seem to survive just as well as westerners ( and westerners are very unhealthy ).

blink.png

laugh.png

I don't get your post. Are you saying that one can only eat unhealthy rubbish for 20,000/ month?

How many Thais can spend 20,000 a month on food? Average pay is around 9 to 15 thousand a month.

Ever heard of markets?

My food budget for two of us is a basic 5,000/ month, but snacks/ restaurants are not included in that.

Of course if one wants to eat a western diet expect to pay big money, but I didn't move to LOS to eat unhealthy expensive imported western processed food.

Actually an imported healthy diet (excluding alcohol or cigs) is 10-15K a month, or just 10k if only fish.

LOL. We are all dying, but at 75,000/ month I'd die a lot happier than at 15,000.

blink.png

laugh.png

Ever heard of markets?

Actually an imported healthy diet (excluding alcohol or cigs) is 10-15K a month, or just 10k if only fish.

????? How can an imported food be healthy, unless it is flown directly from picking to destination with no storage in between. That would be very unhealthy to the planet.

Other than frozen ( and meat is very unhealthy in the amounts we eat in the west, as are dairy products ) and dehydrated, imported food has to be full of preservatives and chemicals. At least that is the imported food I see in Rimping etc.

A healthy diet is predominately vegetarian, and LOS is just bursting with fresh veges, available very cheaply at the local markets.

That is why Thais were always slim till recently, when they started eating western garbage food.

cheesy.gif

So you pay large to eat imported fruit when it's fresh off the tree in LOS, meat when it's fresh killed in LOS, western "brands" full of chemicals ( ever read those labels? ).

I suppose you think Thai food is full of sprays etc, but western processed food is hardly free of chemicals, and the Thais seem to survive just as well as westerners ( and westerners are very unhealthy ).

You say "western brands full of chemicals"

well...

Some stuff I occasionally bought in Thailand:

Pasta from Italy = 0 chemicals (according to the label)

Olive oil (Spain/Italy) = 0 chemicals

Granola (Netherlands/Germany) = 0 chemicals

Peeled tomatoes (Italy) = 0 chemicals

Italian mixed herb spices = 0 chemicals

Olives (Spain/Greece) = 0 chemicals

By the way in my home country men live 9 years longer than in Thailand, but I'm not sure that food is the cause, probably more because of the the healthcare system, less traffic accidents, less alcoholism, etc

Unfortunately in this country only the name (brand) needs to be imported, many items...electronics, fruits, nuts, clothing made in Thailand is sold at imported prices. Beef like other western likes as in coffee, etc., doesn't matter if import but made expensive because foreigners like it. Bottom line, Thailand is no different than China when it comes to squeezing the western foreigner for every last penny.

cheesy.gif

well...

By the way in my home country men live 9 years longer than in Thailand, but I'm not sure that food is the cause, probably more because of the the healthcare system, less traffic accidents, less alcoholism, etc

Fair enough, you got me there, but MOST of the imported processed food is full of chemicals. Even back in country of origin, the stuff in supermarkets is usually processed and full of chemicals.

BTW, why would anyone buy imported tomatoes when the markets have shelves full of them? Does travel make them taste better?

Just to be off topic a bit, while men may live longer back home, for most it's not "living", stuck in a rest home in front of a tv all day. In fact that is my idea of hell on earth, and if I die sooner by living in LOS, all the better for me.

cheesy.gif

well...

Fair enough, you got me there, but MOST of the imported processed food is full of chemicals. Even back in country of origin, the stuff in supermarkets is usually processed and full of chemicals.

BTW, why would anyone buy imported tomatoes when the markets have shelves full of them? Does travel make them taste better?

Just to be off topic a bit, while men may live longer back home, for most it's not "living", stuck in a rest home in front of a tv all day. In fact that is my idea of hell on earth, and if I die sooner by living in LOS, all the better for me.

They are already peeled so great for pasta sauce. Thai tomatoes are not that tasty. Plus I like Italian ingredients, as they respect their products and its always great quality and taste.

As for long life: as they say - let's talk when you are 71 ...

2015-09-22 19.05.38-1.jpg

Sorry, that looks absolutely disgusting. If you prefer this over Thai food you seriously do not belong here. The lack of greens...let me guess, you're English or German 555.

There is one truth that will always remain and the Thai will tell you this without blinking an eye. Let the farang whinge on about the quality or whatever...The best Thai food comes from the street. So those b35 dishes many of you deride, you simply don't like Thai food, because that's what "Thai" food is.

Hell,I could have done a better job with my eyes closed insofar as that dreadful meal is concerned. Hope you don't smoke as well, you'll be dead at 65.

Edited by Rocketsurgeon

cheesy.gif

well...

They are already peeled so great for pasta sauce. Thai tomatoes are not that tasty. Plus I like Italian ingredients, as they respect their products and its always great quality and taste.

As for long life: as they say - let's talk when you are 71 ...

Tomatoes are easy to peel and with three different kinds of fresh basil easy to cook. After cooking tomatoes with basil, oregeno, cayenne, garlic and onion and salt and pepper how on earth can one tell the difference between Italian tomatoes grown in Italy and Italian tomatoes grown in Thailand?

For all my frugality, I have never wanted or coveted others material possessions. When I decides to retire at 40 I knew there would be sacrifice and it was no problem bcz Id already made so many getting to that point.

I enjoy the contest: My ability to get the absolute best and highest quality, for the best price.

For me, a life not shackled to a lifestyle tethered to job, to be a free man - has been worth whatever rich, creamy food I cannot consume or some high bed I cannot place my head upon. Some ridiculous car...

The only material possessions that are worth paying dearly for are those that both hold value and last a lifetime.

I gave up on material possessions early in life, the pursuit of which and the people caught up in all of it was just an unhealthy scene.

I choose as my wife to spend on experiences, not that a lovely country home in Issan or Ranong largely off the grid, growing things and living free as many of you do is not one of thise unique, quality experiences.

If you are some single/divorced guy shoveling 40k in a flat, out in fancy overpriced restaurants and clubs. Low quality, ephemeral existence. Not seen much of the world, nor care to. Relocated from home directly to Thailand. Barely stepped foot in neighboring countries. Have no love in your life. Every woman is a chunk of meat to be weighed and assessed. I see that as a very empty life. I'm also throughly unimpressed with your fancy car as well, do the world a favor - take public transport. That is if you can stop thinking about yourself for a moment.

When the British housing market tanks and the gbp goes south, will be interesting to see how many of these jetsetters are left here.