Page Of Remembrance

Gonzo the Face

Andrew Forbes, who lived in Chiang Mai for over 20 years, passed away suddenly in Luang Prabang, Laos aged 67, on March 5, 2017.  He was in Luang Prabang to lead a tour of Indochina for Wilderness Travel.  Hearing of his illness, his best friend and business partner David Henley rushed to LPB and was with him in his final moments.  His wife Phet arranged a cremation there and his ashes were returned to Chiang Mai and spread on the Ping River, after a ceremony at his home in Nong Khwai, Hang Dong, attended by his daughter Isabel, who lives in London, and his many friends in Chiang Mai.

Andrew, full appellation, Dr. Andrew Donald Wilson Rashid Forbes, led a life rich of travel and experience.  He was a scholar, whose PhD thesis “Muslim and Warlords in Chinese Central Asia: A Political History of Republican Sinkiang 1911–1949 “ was published by Cambridge University Press, and  a historian of great knowledge, particularly on East Asia and the Middle East.  His series of books “Ancient Chiang Mai” give valuable insights into many esoteric corners of Northern Thai history and culture.

I had the good fortune to work with Andrew and David some time ago, producing illustrated large format books to form a series called “Peoples and Cultures of Southeast Asia”. I was impressed not only with his powerful intellect and incredible knowledge, but also his sense of humor and appreciation of life’s absurdities and vagaries.  His generosity of spirit gave me valuable encouragement in my aspiration to write, and always kept me laughing.

We’ll miss you, Doctor Forbes!

• 3 weeks later...

It is with the greatest regret that I must report the death of long term CM resident and US citizen Richard Bonine. His daughter Catherine has just informed me that he passed away this morning.

For those of you who knew him he had been suffering recurring respiratory problems in recent years and was only able to visit his favourite haunts when the smog and temperatures allowed.

Richard was a fine man who I have had the privilege of being able to call a friend for many years. We would meet, in his healthier days, in a variety of watering holes and ‘put the world to rights’, we would not always agree with the outcome of those ‘discussions’ but all always parted friends and agreed to disagree.

Recently, as bad health caught up with him, he was only able to go out to the city for an early morning coffee and pick up some western food and a discussion! Despite his failing health he kept a cheery but cynical outlook on life which I and all his friends will certainly miss.

Richard’s funeral will be held at Wat Ko Klang on Monday. I will post more details as I get them.

RIP Richard and my condolences to all of your family and friends.

Rip: Dew Kosurat (Cutler Barber Shop)

This is just a quick message to let people know that the young barber Diew (Dew) of the Cutler Barber Shop has died. The reason for my post here is that Cutler's is a popular vintage barbers with foreigners in Chiang Mai. Therefore, there will be some of you here who knew this lovely guy. Sorry, I don't know the circumstances of his demise.

There's a bit more English info on their FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/THECUTLERBARBER/?fref=nf&pnref=story

Best regards,

Stubby

One many of you may know, Mark Tartano passed away last night, 9th April, with a blood infection.

Mark ran the Pirate's Cove for several years and more recently was managing Tawan's Bar and Bistro off Chan Klan Road. I don't know any details regarding the funeral yet.

One of the nicest guys I've met here, rest in peace big man.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been reported that Dave2 has passed away. I did not know him well, but he seemed like a good guy and his posts were always positive and informative and full of fun photos. I'm pretty sure that he loved his life in the Land of Smiles.

RIP guy!

On 5/29/2017 at 1:03 PM, music065 said:

Reading through this thread I'm struck by how relatively young most of these people were. Much much younger than the average life expectancies of their home nations. Hmmm

Very few of my pals have survived 70 in CM, and now poor old Dave2 has joined the died before 70 crew.

I'll miss having a beer in LK and in MoonMuang Soi 1/2 with him.

Be seeing you soon Dave (but hopefully not too soon).

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

Dennis Brown passed away a few days ago - cremation tomorrow at a temple in San Kamphaeng. Sorry, but I don't have the details.

Denis was known as The Stickman to some because he was the manufacturer and distributor of the Burmese  Army Trekking stick seen in many places around Chiang Mai and the North. Others may remember him from The Escape bar days where he was a regular customer. He was also the guy that kept Chiang Mai supplied with baked beans and other vital supplies that he brought from Malaysia. He was also a regular at the Hash, with the nickname Two and  a Half Fingers, for obvious reasons to those that knew him. A well-liked, affable character he will be sadly missed. RIP.

I have one of those Burmese /Colonial walking canes .Bought it at the UN Irish bar .They are in 2 sections and screw together at the middle .I use it on my annual visit to Savannakhet ,,Lao .The place is full of aggressive Soi dogs ,and i do a lot of walking .The cane has a T shaped handle .Has a brass name tag with the inscription >>Sir Jeffrey, .British East India ,1941 Hillpig -Smyth <<

8 hours ago, millwall_fan said:

I also knew Dennis for most of the 25 years I have been coming and going to CM. He was a pillar of the expat community, a real character, known and liked by everyone. I used to enjoy a beer or two with him occasionally  and when I had my pub I had his trekking sticks and lemon juicers etc on consignment. The trekking sticks were his invention, but the lovely story that went with it was, If I remember correctly, from the imagination of an American friend of his. 

For those unfamiliar with this fine product and others that Dennis produced, take look at this video:-

Dennis: I never did find those tongs you said you consigned to me...and later charged me for, ....but that, and you, were all part of my Thailand experience! Whether you go to a Great Synagogue, Great Temple or are just Resting for the first time in many a long year, may that Rest be In Peace. 

He looks much older and thinner in that video ,compared to the photo above.