Page Of Remembrance

Gonzo the Face

Was Ken Owens the Asian American from Hawaii? He graduated from the Un. of Washington like me but I never drank much. I think he died in late '12 or early '13.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Re Ken Owens... I don't think so..... there are some around who knew him much better than me, I think he used to golf with them unless I have memories crossed up again..... Maybe they will read this and post. in any event I'll ask around to see if I can find out.

G

John Equid long time resident, passed away in Melbourne last month

From what I can gather John had a battle with cancer & finally lost his fight on 9th May 2014. He was 61 at the time.[/size]

John went to Melbourne in Jan 2014 suffer from pain in his legs and tiredness. He was diagnosed with leukemia and was in and out for hospital until May. His brother Glenn was with him when he died on the 9th May. RIP John.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently come across this forum whilst remembering my father, who was Jeff Waters. I know he passed away a long time ago in the early 90's but from what I remember he was an avid supporter of the pub trade in Chiangmai, and I just wanted to pay my respect to him and all the others who I met when I was a young lad and who have now sadly passed away. If anyone still remembers him and has any tales I could pass on to his grandchildren who never got to meet him I would be greatly appreciative.

• 3 months later...

Maybe a good thing, but noone has updated this thread for quite some time... especially for those who may have been the star topic.

I have been recently made aware of the passing of another of our long term expats..... Mr. Al Trussel...... perhaps some kind soul who knew him much better than I did would be so kind as to write a few words of farewell for him.

• 1 month later...

Len Sparrow, a very popular CM ex-pat died of lung complications 3 weeks ago.

He was especially well known around the golf scene and was a member at Gymkhana for many years.

Yesterday his ashes were scattered in the Ping and a celebration of his life was held at the golf club, 71 lanterns were released to mark his age when he passed.

To me Len was one of my closest friends and I shall miss him very much, as will the majority of the 80 or so people that turned out last night for his final farewell

RIP Len

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The former Journalist Rodney Tasker passed away on Monday (Complications with Lung Disease) and I understand he had funeral rites at his home village on Tuesday, near Turn, south of Lampang on the route down to Tak.

Rodney was Chiang Mai based until he married his wife about 8 years ago.

Rodney worked for major UK newspapers and was one of the jurno's Banned by the Taksin government following an article in The Economist.

Following protest from The US, Rodney was permitted to stay and invited round by Khun Taksin for a polite chat.

He was asked what he was doing wrong and gave honest answers. His criticism was accepted and the PM was conciliatory and in no way vindictive.

Rodney was good company and could tell a tale or two.

He opened the Primavade restaurant located on the inside of the moat between Ratviti Rd and Moomuang Soi 5 serving 'Mediterainian' style food.

Farwell and have a glass for me.

john

Edited by jonwilly

Rodney Tasker's obituary from Asia Sentinel:

A Quintessential Foreign Correspondent:

Rodney Tasker’s name may now mean little to the current generation of journalists and politicians in Asia. But for 25 years from the mid-1970s, Tasker, chief correspondent of the now-defunct Hong Kong-based Far Eastern Economic Review, was well-known to leaders and media throughout Southeast Asia. Tasker, who died on March 24 after a long illness, was called “the quintessential foreign correspondent” by many.

Tasker was well liked by both politicians and colleagues although his reporting from the Philippines resulted in the filing of a trumped-up criminal libel suit in 1978 after he wrote a critical article about the San Miguel Corporation and how then-Defense Minister Juan Ponce Enrile manipulated its stock ownership through his ACCRA law firm. According to Sheilah Ocampo Kalfors, who took over the Manila bureau, an enraged Enrile filed the suit, with orders to arrest Tasker and seize FEER’s assets. Tasker was out of the country at the time and was unable to return for period of time in the face of possible arrest at the airport. He was a fantastic person loved by many, a very supportive and protective boss and a loyal friend,” she said.

Tasker then moved on to Bangkok but still covered events in Manila and elsewhere with a regional portfolio. In 2002, the Thai government temporarily revoked his visa after he and another FEER reporter, Shawn Crispin, reported on tensions between the king and then-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.Tasker was at the heart of reporting political change and making sense of issues at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations and other international meetings. He excelled because he was both a fair and diligent reporter whose shorthand was so good he didn’t need tape recorders, and whose unaffected charm put ministers and politicians at ease.

“Rodney was a quiet hero to many hacks, including me,” wrote Nate Thayer, a correspondent in Cambodia for the Far Eastern Economic Review. “He was born to be a foreign correspondent. He taught me how to do it right, both as a person and a journalist. Rodney embodied that special recipe of the truly great journalists where there was no distinction between the two. I am one of many from his true family of colleagues who miss him terribly already, and am a better journalist and man because Rodney graced me by allowing me to be part of his life. He was loved and respected by everyone who crossed his path. I am one of them.”

Tasker was personally liked by many officials who disliked what he had to report and was a drinking buddy of several of them. His contacts in the Marcos cabinet and among the Thai elite were unique among foreign journalists.

“I met Rodney soon after arriving in Jakarta for the BBC in 1987,”said Michael Vatikiotis, who later went on to become the editor of the Review. “I recall first getting to know him over beers on a train ride to Bandung. As a young reporter he took me under his wing and showed me how it was done. He was instrumental in recruiting me for the Review and we later worked together in the Bangkok Bureau. Rodney had a way of nurturing, using a mix of friendly banter, collegial collaboration and caustic comment. He was never one to hold back on what he thought of your work, which I appreciated. ‘Crap story’ was often the greeting of the morning. I simply wouldn’t have had the career I have had without his help and advice. I’m not the only one.” Never an ideologue, his unpleasant run-ins with Enrile and Thaksin were a remarkable achievement for one in the thick of reporting for so long for a weekly magazine that was both feared and admired. He was also the president of the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand in 2001 and 2002.

Whether on hand at Manila airport when Benigno S. Aquino, the father of the current president, was gunned down on his return to the Philippines in 1983, reporting the development of ASEAN or the tortuous negotiations leading to the end of the Cambodian conflict, Tasker, a British subject trained on English provincial newspapers, showed the value of honest coverage of regional issues. As such he contributed to ASEAN leaders, and their national audiences, understanding of each other. Journalism shorn of national prejudices has always been a scarce commodity and he excelled at it.

His death at the age of 70 in Thailand is a reminder of the narrow perspective of so much current reporting, and the importance of institutional memory in understanding today’s events.

Edited by dru2

• 5 months later...

Very sad to hear this news. Hadn't seen to much of Warren of late, but it was apparent he was slowing down. ..... but aren't we all.

RIP Warren and don't forget to save some seats for your friends.

Will be back mid next week, and will pop round as soon as I have things arranged,

Just bumped into this (sad) crying.gif topic. Am shocked to see the names of many people I had met over the years....Max (Black Cat), Bob (Spotlight), David Francis, Neil Lawson (White Lotus), Jon Gluck, Herman (The Oasis), , Geoff Walton......and especially shocking was seeing Nick's (Smiling Monkey) name on here.

One other name I did NOT see anywhere mentioned was the 'Walking For Thailand' man Dennis Peacock, who tragically left us in October of 2008 aged 62 (heart attack I think). Dennis was a very friendly, well educated man who absolutely loved Thailand and stayed in Chiangmai many times over the years. He was my friend. I was so looking forward to getting together with him for a catch-up, but was shattered to find out that he had passed on. sad.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

More bad news. Have just heard from one of our sons in Australia that Oliver Fruchtenicht has been killed in a motorcycle incident in Chiang Mai. Oliver is the son of Horst Fruchtenicht (also mentioned in these pages) and Warunee and did his schooling at CMIS. He and his sister Melanie were,are close friends of our kids. A lot of you may remember Horst from the Gymkhana and around town. If anybody knows details of funeral arrangements could you please let me know as we live out of town now.

Hi Boksida,

I have met the Fruchtenichts first when they still had their nice restaurant with German Bratwurst and the kids were still at CMIS.

Somewhen I went to visit them again and knew about the death of Horst. I think I met Warunee and Melanie again.

I remember very much Oliver and also their cousin Toni who is a singer.

Please if anybody has old photos and especially please provide me the contact with Warunee and Melanie.

my email: <<<<Email removed as per forum rules, use PM function to contact>>>>

Edited by metisdead
17) Do not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to non-commercial sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile

O NO! Are you sure about Oliver? O no, what horrid horrid shame. I thought Horst was lovely, grumy and scrowly, but such a kind big bear, and now Oliver. So sad.

Hi Sao Chiang Mai,

I have met the Fruchtenichts first when they still had their nice restaurant with German Bratwurst and the kids were still at CMIS.

Somewhen I went to visit them again and knew about the death of Horst. I think I met Warunee and Melanie again.

Please if anybody has old photos and especially please provide me the contact with Warunee and Melanie.

If you can tell me anthing about Oliver and the whole family, this would be very kind.

Edited by metisdead
17) Do not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to non-commercial sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile

More bad news. Have just heard from one of our sons in Australia that Oliver Fruchtenicht has been killed in a motorcycle incident in Chiang Mai. Oliver is the son of Horst Fruchtenicht (also mentioned in these pages) and Warunee and did his schooling at CMIS. He and his sister Melanie were,are close friends of our kids. A lot of you may remember Horst from the Gymkhana and around town. If anybody knows details of funeral arrangements could you please let me know as we live out of town now.

Hi Boksida,

PM sent

• 2 months later...

I have had news from Australia that a former resident of Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, a Mr. Phil Stevenson passed away in Chiang Mai on 21 November 2015.

Can anyone confirm or elaborate? My informant knew Phil and asked if I knew him as we are all formerly from colonial Africa, thanks.

Edited by dhream

I have had news from Australia that a former resident of Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe, a Mr. Phil Stevenson passed away in Chiang Mai on 21 November 2015.

Can anyone confirm or elaborate? My informant knew Phil and asked if I knew him as we are all formerly from colonial Africa, thanks.

Perhaps this person? - BSAP Facebook memoriam

and the BSAP website

Perhaps this person? - BSAP Facebook memoriam

and the BSAP website

Yes, correct. That's where the original heads up originated, we were hoping for a local angle, more detail an eulogy, etc from his local friends. Thanks for the response Tywais, PM me if you were in the regiment, and feel so inclined.