Page Of Remembrance

Gonzo the Face

I lived and worked as a teacher in Chiang Mai in the 90s and I've been catching up on news of old friends while visiting this month. Sad to hear about John Moore. Friendly, sociable guy who ran Pun Pun guest house by the river with his wife Daeng. Used to enjoy chatting with both of them years ago. Hope Daeng is doing fine now, wherever she is.

Paul Thompson passed away recently from Brain Cancer.

Paul had been all over the region as a photograher of Muay Thai, and in Chiang Mai for various spells (with Tiger Muay Thai). You would sometimes see him in the "old" Kawilla boxing stadium (a beautiful Eddie Munster haircut smile.png stuck out a bit ) and Loi Kroh for some international fights.

True gentlemen who has know his days were numbered for quite some time, accepted this, and his sole concern form many months was the welfare of his wife, who had her own very significant health problems.

He loved Muay Thai, and was passionate about the photos he took. Lived live to the full albeit far to short.

You can see some of his work on his facebook page as his company page has sadly been deregsitered

https://www.facebook.com/PaulThompsonFightPhotography

RIP Sharpshooter.

Edited by mamborobert

I lived and worked as a teacher in Chiang Mai in the 90s and I've been catching up on news of old friends while visiting this month. Sad to hear about John Moore. Friendly, sociable guy who ran Pun Pun guest house by the river with his wife Daeng. Used to enjoy chatting with both of them years ago. Hope Daeng is doing fine now, wherever she is.

Daeng has remarried to a nice guy and seems very happy. ..... and little Demi , is not little Demi anymore..... She has grown up to be as beautiful a young lady as she was a beautiful baby. I believe they live around Hang Dong somewhere, as memory serves.

• 2 weeks later...

As I announced at the opening of the CMPG exhibition yesterday, we just learned of the death of long time CMPG member EJ Haas - just "EJ" to most of us. EJ was diagnosed with cancer towards the end of last year and passed away on Friday morning after a short spell in hospital. He worked for Associated Press in the US covering many high profile sporting events and after moving to Thailand concentrated on product and jewelry photography. EJ was a regular member of the Chiang Mai Photographic Group more than eight years during which time he gave several presentations and led some excellent Field Trips. We will greatly miss him and his wonderfully dry sense of humour.

event_446178957.jpeg

I heard today that there is a small Buddhist Ceremony of some kind to be held at tonight at 8:00 pm @ Wat Kuan Kama (18°47'43.1"N 98°59'01.5”E) on Sriphoom road. That's on the inside of the moat between the North Gate and Ram Hospital - it's the wat with horses on the wall and entrance posts. I have no more details, but I imagine that anyone who wants to pay their respects to our old friend will be welcome.

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Life goes on... then it doesn't.... there are good days and there are bad days. Life somehow teaches us that as you get older, you get wiser, smarter, tougher and are better placed to take on the darker times of life. Not so sure that is true anymore. Today is again one of those bad, bad days. Another friend has gone. Was informed yesterday, that a good friend, who hasn't been in top order for the past few months has gone on to his new location. Mike McCune left this life at CM Ram yesterday. Mikey to us....

Mikey was a big man, yes in physical stature, but to many of us who knew him, a much bigger man in spirit. A man with a very strong presence.

Mikey had a lot of friends, both thru his being and thru his computer advice , at which I thought he was pure genius.

He is currently at Wat Pa Paeng, on Rattanakosin Rd. Prayer services, again this evening and funeral ceremony tomorrow.

Its very difficult to think about this and more difficult to write..... I'm sure others will wish to add to this....

Mikey, may you always rest in peace, and you will always be , in our hearts and minds, a real part of this family.

The pain is now over , rest in peace God Speed

G & P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Life goes on... then it doesn't.... there are good days and there are bad days. Life somehow teaches us that as you get older, you get wiser, smarter, tougher and are better placed to take on the darker times of life. Not so sure that is true anymore. Today is again one of those bad, bad days. Another friend has gone. Was informed yesterday, that a good friend, who hasn't been in top order for the past few months has gone on to his new location. Mike McCune left this life at CM Ram yesterday. Mikey to us....

Mikey was a big man, yes in physical stature, but to many of us who knew him, a much bigger man in spirit. A man with a very strong presence.

Mikey had a lot of friends, both thru his being and thru his computer advice , at which I thought he was pure genius.

He is currently at Wat Pa Paeng, on Rattanakosin Rd. Prayer services, again this evening and funeral ceremony tomorrow.

Its very difficult to think about this and more difficult to write..... I'm sure others will wish to add to this....

Mikey, may you always rest in peace, and you will always be , in our hearts and minds, a real part of this family.

The pain is now over , rest in peace God Speed

G & P

Just heard this sad news. I had not heard from him after several emails and last time that happened he was a RAM too. Apparently his brother is in CM and a computer savvy nephew is coming in April to see what the future of InfoThai will be. He was always generous with his time, hosting for non-profits and was smart as hell!

Tom Westheimer

• 1 month later...

I was going to post this yesterday afternoon but thought better of it - it's in the main forum now for those who don't keep up with this page.

Very saddened by the passing of Gary Paletta, stallwart and longest serving resident of Smith's - he arrived just as they opened in 2009. He broke his hip a couple of years ago and after what seems to be a botched operation which had to be re-done earlier this year, he was never quite the same. Diagnosed with life ending problems a couple of weeks ago, he was in Bangkok for a week or so with his godson and upon return last Friday went straight to hospital. My husband went up to see him on Sunday and said he wasn't sure that he knew he was there, but didn't look good. He went back on Tuesday, I chose not to go - as it happens he wasn't conscious and so wouldn't have known I was there so I'm glad about that. It may sound awful, but from the way my husband described him, I chose not to as I'd rather remember him the way he was last time I saw him, laughing, joking and half drunk. I'm glad he went so quickly, he would have hated being back in hospital for a long time.

He was the first farang I met when we first arrived here, he was already a old-timer at Smith's and saying he'd made a mistake by paying 3 months in advance as he probably didn't want to stay on that long.

He was a good friend to many and will be sadly missed by many more. Condolences to his ex wife and daughter in Phuket and to Philip and the family and close friends in Germany.

RIP Gazza. He always laughed when I called him that, I don't think anyone else ever had, but I always did.

I was going to post this yesterday afternoon but thought better of it - it's in the main forum now for those who don't keep up with this page.

Very saddened by the passing of Gary Paletta, stallwart and longest serving resident of Smith's - he arrived just as they opened in 2009. He broke his hip a couple of years ago and after what seems to be a botched operation which had to be re-done earlier this year, he was never quite the same. Diagnosed with life ending problems a couple of weeks ago, he was in Bangkok for a week or so with his godson and upon return last Friday went straight to hospital. My husband went up to see him on Sunday and said he wasn't sure that he knew he was there, but didn't look good. He went back on Tuesday, I chose not to go - as it happens he wasn't conscious and so wouldn't have known I was there so I'm glad about that. It may sound awful, but from the way my husband described him, I chose not to as I'd rather remember him the way he was last time I saw him, laughing, joking and half drunk. I'm glad he went so quickly, he would have hated being back in hospital for a long time.

He was the first farang I met when we first arrived here, he was already a old-timer at Smith's and saying he'd made a mistake by paying 3 months in advance as he probably didn't want to stay on that long.

He was a good friend to many and will be sadly missed by many more. Condolences to his ex wife and daughter in Phuket and to Philip and the family and close friends in Germany.

RIP Gazza. He always laughed when I called him that, I don't think anyone else ever had, but I always did.

There were times when he was drinking that i would have quite happily strangled him - and many more times when I just loved being in his company and seeing him around. You may recollect the last time we were all together was earlier this year when we called upon you and Mr K - and while slowed due to his sticks, he was still as sharp as ever, and free from the pain that scarred him for way too long due to the repeat operations.

A Vietnam Vet, a polymath, an entrepreneur, a raconteur - this is a man that lived a life so varied and full it would be impossible to list. Humble in his won way, he laughed when it was suggested that he should write his autobiography. "I'm an <deleted>, who'd be interested in my life," he'd say.

Far more people than you could ever possibly have imagined, Gary, far more.

1234517_203167436521973_794288386_n.jpg?

There were times when he was drinking that i would have quite happily strangled him - and many more times when I just loved being in his company and seeing him around. You may recollect the last time we were all together was earlier this year when we called upon you and Mr K - and while slowed due to his sticks, he was still as sharp as ever, and free from the pain that scarred him for way too long due to the repeat operations.

A Vietnam Vet, a polymath, an entrepreneur, a raconteur - this is a man that lived a life so varied and full it would be impossible to list. Humble in his won way, he laughed when it was suggested that he should write his autobiography. "I'm an <deleted>, who'd be interested in my life," he'd say.

Far more people than you could ever possibly have imagined, Gary, far more.

You are so right, there are so many times I could have quite happily hit him over the head. Diana tried several times to get some of his life on record but he would play with her for a few minutes before telling her to eff off. She noted today on Facebook that his speciality was hazing newbies - being totally vile to anyone new, and if they lasted more than 5 minutes then they were mates. His command of so many languages was what impressed me the most, along with some of the stories he told about his car lot on the way out of in Las Vegas and how he made a fortune from people who wanted to go back and gamble everything away.

I remember taking him up to bed one night in a particularly bad state in our early days at Smiths, and as I got him onto the bed and got his clothes off and was at the stage of closing the door on him, he said he needed the toilet and as he was walking towards the bathroom, towards me, totally naked, and he just started weeing as he walked. What a lovely job that was for me to clean that up. He wasn't embarrassed in the slightest the next morning, apologised but no embarrassment on either side. That's when I knew he was a friend not just an acquaintance.

He was a rough diamond - very easy to dislike if you didn't last that first difficult 5 minutes - but a real friend who would do anything for anyone he considered a friend.

The funeral tomorrow is going to be more of a celebration than a sadness - I'm going to make sure of it. It's what he would have wanted; everyone to be happy, to remember the funny stories and to get so drunk they can't stand. Right or wrong, that was Gary.

And I'm really going to miss him.

Konini, You describing Kn Gary, instantly put into my mind another individual who matches that description, re tearing into newbies, as well as others. If memory serves me he also was found dead in his abode , some years ago now. Kn Allister or Allister the Scot

Konini, You describing Kn Gary, instantly put into my mind another individual who matches that description, re tearing into newbies, as well as others. If memory serves me he also was found dead in his abode , some years ago now. Kn Allister or Allister the Scot

Never cared for him, but having his wake in a brothel - The Housewife's Club - was a touch of class. tongue.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My friend and mentor Allen Tucker passed away on the night of 04/05 July at Chiang Mai Ram hospital.

Allen suffered the effects of Prostate Cancer and had been ill for many months following Chemotherapy.

Long term resident of Chiang Mai and in retirement from being Financial Director of the tobacco company Alliance One.

Allen was born in 1942 in Yorkshire and a true Brit.

He played Rugby as a young man and followed Rugby Union as an adult.

A member of The Gymkhana Club and as a Chartered Accountant ( Scottish Division) he supervised the accounts of the Foreign Cemetery in Chiang Mai.

I understand his wife Kopkaew and son Edwin were with him when he passed away, in his sleep and to them I send my condolences.

Good bye old friend, a true mate and big buddy to me.

john

• Like 1

Daeng has remarried to a nice guy and seems very happy. ..... and little Demi , is not little Demi anymore..... She has grown up to be as beautiful a young lady as she was a beautiful baby. I believe they live around Hang Dong somewhere, as memory serves.

I used to know John Moore. I believe he went to England for a few weeks, arrived back in Thailand, walked into his house and within a few minutes collapsed and died from a massive stroke. He was 52 I think. I used to belong to his archery club in Mai Rim. Must be 8 or 10 years ago since he died.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2016 at 3:28 PM, ianf said:

Many people in Chiang Mai and elsewhere in Thailand knew Andrew Bond. Sadly he was electrocuted at home in Chiang Mai on Saturday whilst fixing some ceiling wiring. You can find more details about Andrew on his Facebook page which is being kept open. The funeral and funeral rites are this week and the details are there too. Andrew was a local businessperson, travel writer and cyclist. He was well known as the owner of the 1-stop Thailand website. I've known him for 7 years and we would cycle together from time to time. He was so full of knowledge (and opinion) about Thai current affairs, Chiang Mai travel and mountain biking that I found him to be a positive and fascinating man. He leaves behind a wife and two young children. Condolences to all who loved him.

Must admit this announcement knocked me for six. Didn't know Andrew well but met him many times, the last name I would expect to see on here.

Condolences to his family; a really personable and positive guy, a great loss. I am pretty much at a loss for words, such a super fit and upbeat guy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone remember David that ran the Bagel House with his lovely wife? Unfortunately I never knew his last name, but he was a nice looking young man of about 40 years old with a young child.

He passed away from cancer recently. I sent him an email a few days ago and his wife answered it with the bad news.

I did not know him long, but he made quite an impression on me.

RIP David. 

When I saw this I could believe it was sent back to us from all those who have gone on.

Click and I hope it moves you as much as it did me.

The link on You Tube cannot show, but if you Google  " Steve Wentworth   A Christmas Message from Heaven "  .... I think it will be worth your time.  After its Googled up, click on the You Tube version  Please do click on it

All the Best of the Season in memory of those who have gone 

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

I did some research on David of the Bagel House Cafe.

David Andrew Boswell
Date of Birth:
October 24, 1971
Date of Death:
December 4, 2016 in Houston Texas
His obituary is online.

RIP
Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

It is with regret that i have to advise people of the passing of Rik Fulscher

Manny would have known him through the Chiang Mai Expats Club

He passes away sadly last night at about 10 PM

He had heart and lung failure

I believe  He was cremated at suan dok today

My condolences go to Kathy at this sad time

• 2 months later...

The fellow Eric, who had that broken neck and a serious concussion. Rode around NW Chiang Mai on a beat up motorcycle, head twisted to the side, woke up somewhere in Ko Samui and didn't remember much. Intelligent from Connecticut with a huge vocabulary, but no money, we had to buy him beers but we tired of doing it. Then they found him in his condo passed for three days or so near the convention center.  A few months ago.