Extension of stay, rules on fixed deposit book updates?

I have just returned from obtaining my extension of stay based on retirement and a multiple re-entry permit.

I sign up in the sticks and took my fixed deposit book which has remained untouched for two years and is above the limit for legal purposes. I updated the book the previous day before I was going to immigration.

All my documents were in good order, well presented and easily readable. The office was not busy at all with maybe two other applicants.

A pleasant unassuming officer read the file.After reviewing my documents and being happy with them, a captain looking over at me interfered ( he knows me by sight, I think foreigners are easily remembered as it is not a particularly busy office ).

The captain stated, on further examination, that it had the previous days date on the book update not today's.

I pointed out that I had been to the bank the previous day and also provided immigration with letters from the bank, signed and stamped, with my total amounts deposited and a print out of bank activity as well as showing my original books.

I always thought, and had been previously told, that a bank letter and an update of the book within three days of the application were valid for immigration purposes??

He wasn't interested and said he wanted the same days date on the application and in the bank book. I did say that a fixed deposit would not update with to days date if there had been no activity.

He then said go put 500 baht in the book and bring it back with today's date. I went to the bank and they said the minimum amount they needed was 10,000 baht in a fixed account additional deposit to get the necessary update.They offered to do a letter from the bank instead and/or speak to him on the phone. Anyway, I knew this officer wasn't playing nice so I put in the funds of 10,000 baht as it was the only option.It was warm and I just wanted it finished.

I returned to immigration and he said it was now lunchtime and he was hungry and with a smile said I could return after lunch.

After lunch he then furnished me with additional forms for penalties on overstay and blacklisting to sign which I have read here on TV are not law. I was then passed to another higher ranking officer who asked for a donation to the sports team fund to deal with the application speedily.

Thank God, it's only once a year and online reporting is now available.In this area of life in the Far East,

I think I like the Cambodian system, give it a travel agent and forget it, no dealing with the police.

Edited by Scouse123

Lite beer,

The book was updated as I have a number of different deposits in the same book starting on different dates. The previous day the bank updated the book which then shows tax deducted and interested paid on each deposit. It was dated the 29th and my application was on the 30th.

However, since posting I have checked online and as much as it recommends to update the day before, which I did, the bank letters, print outs etc are valid for seven days from the date it is provided when signed and stamped by the bank.It advises to take your original book with you, which I did.

My wife has just now said, when I was showing her the legalities online and she said that the first officer had passed everything but the captain had said to him to " hold the documents " (out of my earshot) until he had looked at them!!

What you found online does not apply to all immigration offices. There are many that would not accept a letter from the bank that is 7 days old. Some want it no older than the day before you apply.

There are several that want the bank book updated on the date you apply.

Some banks can do a forced up date to the bank book by using a few special key strokes.

• Like 1

In Chiang Mai, an appointment for retirement visa extension may be completed at a date 30 or 45 days prior to expiry (maximum)?

eg visa extension expires 31 December.

An appointment of maximum 30 or 45 days before 31 December is the law.

Queue online system.

Booking up to 100 days prior to the preferred appointment - see above - fulfills the requirements?

This is not about making appointments - the question is bank information validity period and that varies by office - with Bangkok requiring same day paperwork (since most banks have office one floor below them). Banks may be able to provide letters of account balance beyond time of writing by putting a hold on account if needed (they did on mine years ago when balance was for close of business and my letter was early morning).

• Like 1

What you found online does not apply to all immigration offices. There are many that would not accept a letter from the bank that is 7 days old. Some want it no older than the day before you apply.

Some banks can do a forced up date to the bank book by using a few special key strokes.

Yeah,

Sounds like them doing just what they want to do as usual.

One thing for sure, it is usually in expectancy of the " tip " for speedy service or overlooking rules they just make up to fit your circumstances.

The bank girl never mentioned anything that I could do to ' force an update '

It's not the end of the world, it's just the fact that you do everything for a smooth visit and they have to come the smart Alec attitude to extort money.

Yeah,

Sounds like them doing just what they want to do as usual.

One thing for sure, it is usually in expectancy of the " tip " for speedy service or overlooking rules they just make up to fit your circumstances.

The bank girl never mentioned anything that I could do to ' force an update '

It's not the end of the world, it's just the fact that you do everything for a smooth visit and they have to come the smart Alec attitude to extort money.

"One thing for sure, it is usually in expectancy of the " tip " for speedy service or overlooking rules they just make up to fit your circumstances."

Is this based on your personal experience of being asked for & then paying extra money or are you just making something up because you're annoyed? Immigrations officers are allowed some discretion in what they want to complete any application and it's common knowledge that some rules vary from office to office.

I've always had my bank book updated and the letter issued the day before I go in and that's the typical advice given in threads on TV ... that or doing it the same day. Never had an immigrations officer imply that things could be overlooked by bribing him.

• Like 1

I always use fixed term deposits for my extension of stay and I never update the book beforehand, honestly! The book shows the date of deposit and the maturity date, the bank letter shows total relationship balance as of yesterday, never once had a problem with this.

"One thing for sure, it is usually in expectancy of the " tip " for speedy service or overlooking rules they just make up to fit your circumstances."

Is this based on your personal experience of being asked for & then paying extra money or are you just making something up because you're annoyed? Immigrations officers are allowed some discretion in what they want to complete any application and it's common knowledge that some rules vary from office to office.

I've always had my bank book updated and the letter issued the day before I go in and that's the typical advice given in threads on TV ... that or doing it the same day. Never had an immigrations officer imply that things could be overlooked by bribing him.

Yes on personal experience,

I said in the opening post I was then taken aside by a more senior officer and asked for a donation to the sports team.I find this type of behavior awkward and also embarrassing,when I shouldn't need to be.

The point I made on " overlooking rules they just made up.....". was sarcasm, there was no rules to be overlooked, I had followed them all correctly.

I have used this exact same office previously with the same fixed deposit book and letter from the bank without incident in the past.

Edited by Scouse123

IT IS LONG OVERDUE ... A FIXED POLICY ON BANKBOOK UPDATES.

Yes, I was also told about the (3 days rule) which is fair and reasonable.

Like I say, if anyone is getting extensions on temporarily borrowed money it will be obvious to the Immigration officer if the deposit account is 3 months old every time they apply for extension, and even if that is the case, they won't withdraw the money until the extension is granted. So what's the point?

• Like 1

I am going to go to Cambodia in a week or two to get a Non-O and I was just going to show my bank book with B1 mil, and a letter from my bank saying the money has come from overseas. Will that be good enough or do I need to put the money into a fixed deposit account?

• Like 1

I am going to go to Cambodia in a week or two to get a Non-O and I was just going to show my bank book with B1 mil, and a letter from my bank saying the money has come from overseas. Will that be good enough or do I need to put the money into a fixed deposit account?

You just need to show your bank book. No need for the letter from the bank.

PP Cambodia is not the best place to go for the non-o. You will need to wait an hour or 2 for them to review your application before they accept it,

There is no requirement for you to have a fixed term account.

• Like 1

You just need to show your bank book. No need for the letter from the bank.

PP Cambodia is not the best place to go for the non-o. You will need to wait an hour or 2 for them to review your application before they accept it,

There is no requirement for you to have a fixed term account.

go to penang with a current million baht in the bank you can get a 1 year multiple non o without ever setting foot in the consulate.

Joe, thanks as always.

I have already been to Vientiane once and did not find it so interesting. I have been to Malaysia several times, and Vietnam once.
Any other place not too far away that is interesting to visit and good on service?

Singapore? Penang in Malaysia unless you have already been. Bali?

Vientiane, everyone goes to bed at 9pm, I think it's the Valium they take all day long.

In PP it is common to use an agent, speeds up the application process too, as it will take less days to get the visa.

Absolutely the opposite to my experience there in March this year.

I even had a thread on here, detailing my experience in PP. No agent in PP or SR will now handle Non O's based on issuance for Retirement Extensions.

I went in person and after a lot of 'negotiating' was issued a Single Entry Non 'O'.

I doubt things have changed in the past 4 months.

The Thai Embassy in Phnom Penn has a reputation for not being helpful with visa applications especially double or multiple entry applications.

Travel agents are best used when applying for the Cambodian one year extension E visa.

There is a waIting time now of four days whether you apply in Phnom Penn or Siem Reap, going rate is $285 - $295 for one year, you can add $100 if you want your visa the following day ( Phnom Penn only! ) it used to be $10, this practice has been occurring for the last 1 to 1.5 years.

Edited by Scouse123

I've obtained "retirement" extensions for several years in Chiang Mai and, although I ask my bank (SCB) to update my passbook (I lock in the funds in a separate account for 14-22 month time periods and never withdraw or deposit funds to the account), they tell me they can't do it. And Chiang Mai Immigration doesn't seem to either care about that. I've always gotten my bank letter within 2-3 days of the extension date although I've understood that Chiang Mai requires it to be within 7 days of one's extension application.

• Like 1

I've obtained "retirement" extensions for several years in Chiang Mai and, although I ask my bank (SCB) to update my passbook (I lock in the funds in a separate account for 14-22 month time periods and never withdraw or deposit funds to the account), they tell me they can't do it. And Chiang Mai Immigration doesn't seem to either care about that. I've always gotten my bank letter within 2-3 days of the extension date although I've understood that Chiang Mai requires it to be within 7 days of one's extension application.

Yes,

and that is exactly my interpretation of how it works as well.

Similarly, I have the same as yourself with sums deposited for a substantial amount of time and left untouched in the account.

The updates I do/did was for immigration and the machine just updates showing interest coming in and tax deducted in the book. It was updated for the previous day and showed monies had not been touched for over two years.

The guy at immigration was being deliberately awkward in my view. The documents had already been passed by his colleague until he decided to involve himself.

Anyway, I have let it slide this time but I disagree with the way some posters feel we need to accept the whimsical nature of some of these immigration officers and ' kiss their butt ' . I have been here many years and speak the Thai language and have heard them on many occasions be offhand and downright rude in their remarks on occasions unnecessarily to applicants.

I was not asking him to do anything more than his job.

Ok, wow, thanks....

So seems like Cambodia is NOT a good idea for a Non-O.

Thanks so much.

And... just for my own clarity... this less than great situation in Cambodia is totally about the people working in the Thai Embassy there, yes? Nothing to do with "Cambodia"?

• Like 2

And... just for my own clarity... this less than great situation in Cambodia is totally about the people working in the Thai Embassy there, yes? Nothing to do with "Cambodia"?

Absolutely nothing to do with Cambodia. Just the extremely difficult self important staff at the Thai Embassy and the 'friendly' security guard who can 'help' for a fee. I respectfully declined, stood my ground and was eventually and begrudgingly issued a Single Entry Non Imm. 'O'

• Like 1

And still, can someone please explain this?

go to penang with a current million baht in the bank you can get a 1 year multiple non o without ever setting foot in the consulate.

How to accomplish this without setting foot in the consulate?

I presume it's because of the availability of 'Visa Agents' who will process the application for you.

• Like 1