Navy searches for missing Phuket barge, crew

webfact

Navy searches for missing Phuket barge, crew

1436236506_5277-org.jpg
Rescue teams prepare for the search at the Navy base in Phuket. Photo: Royal Thai Navy

PHUKET: -- A Royal Thai Navy search team has yet to locate a crew of six who were reported as missing near Koh Racha Yai island, about 25 kilometres south of Phuket, in the early hours of this morning (July 7).

The crew were travelling on a barge carrying construction materials and a backhoe from Ao Makham in Phuket to Koh Racha Yai when it disappeared in heavy seas with waves of up to four metres.

After receiving the report that the boat was missing, the Navy search began scouring the seas at 4:30am by helicopter.

The search continues to the east of Koh Racha Yai.

The Phuket Marine Office yesterday ordered all small boats to stay ashore to avoid the storm conditions at sea. Larger vessels were allowed to transit, but their captains were urged to proceed with caution.

The Thai Meteorological Department this morning issued another weather warning for Phuket and the Andaman region.

“The strong southwest monsoon prevails across the Andaman Sea, the South and the Gulf of Thailand. More rain is likely in the South and the East, with isolated heavy rain in Chanthaburi, Trat, Ranong and Phang Nga. People should beware of heavy rain,” read the warning.

“The strong wind waves are expected in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand with waves 2-4 meters high. All ships should proceed with caution and small boats keep ashore until 13 July.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/navy-searches-for-missing-phuket-barge-crew-53092.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-07

There can be some pretty nasty seas between Racha, and the islands down in the southern part of Phuket, from Ao Makam, coming round Cape Panwa you might be somewhat protected by Koh Mai Thon but once past there on the way to Racha your open to the full fetch of the Indian Ocean. Its been blowing for a couple of days so the seas have properly built. Areas exposed to the west round there are getting proper ocean swells. Opposing currents round the islands can create some very big waves out there.

A pump-less barge could be in trouble pretty darn quick. Especially with a bit of free surface effect water sloshing around. If it went down, it quite likely dragged the tub boat with it unfortunately.

I hope they are found.

You wonder at the obviously staged photo event. I can count at least 5 ambulances with all the stretcher trolleys nicely displayed. But the search is many hours (by sea) away. No survivors likey for many hours. Would all that ambulance equipment not be better served waiting for the many road accident victims around the island.

The six crew missing from this barge have been found safe off Koh Lanta according to a PW report

Apparently 2 crew from this barge are still missing. 3 were found near Koh Lanta yesterday and another found on a nearby island today.

PW made a correction, blaming incorrect information given to them.

A case like this makes me wonder about the quality of marine searches here.

Granted the conditions were atrocious for most of the time, but considering the general area of the sinking was known, and the prevailing winds and seas were always going to push the survivors in one direction towards Lanta, why couldn't large, fully equipped vessels and helicopters find any trace?

It's not exactly the Southern Ocean.

I don't think the navy found them, I think they were spotted by another passing vessel which informed the navy.

Lanta is way too far from Racha Yai to have been included in any kind of search pattern.

It doesn't really matter though, at least some of them have been found, which was a very pleasant surprise to me, I'd given up hope.