No More Octane-95 Gasoline Next Year

george

No more octane-95 gasoline next year

BANGKOK: -- Starting on January 1, 2007, octane-95 gasoline-driven millions of vehicles including the 24 million motorcycles and large cars will have to shift to gasohol 95, as the authorities have outlined all strategies to ensure the sufficiency of the fuel.

The Energy Ministry's Energy Business Department in November will issue a regulation to ban the sale of octane-95 on the schedule, leaving oil retailers a month to unload octane-95 gasoline inventories, estimated at about 11 million litres. From January 1, any oil station selling octane-95 gasoline would be fined no more than Bt100,000 or one-year imprisonment or both.

"We expect the regulation to be announced in the Royal Gazette in November and to take effect on January 1," said Panich Pongpirodom, director-general of the department.

The regulation would end all doubts if the premium gasoline would be cleared out of the market, with the insufficient supply of ethanol as well as a number of old cars manufactured before 1995. Gasohol was generally believed to be incompatible for cars older than 11 years.

Panich added that PTT Plc and the Alternative Energy Development and Efficiency Department have tested run the old cars, expecting to run them for 80,000 km. So far, he said, there has been no problem with the engine.

--The Nation 2006-09-18

Chances are your car will run just as well on 91. I've checked and all of ours will.

Any chances you might know (or someone) if mine is ok for 91, been searching all over for information with no luck. 1993 Nissan Bluebird SSS 2-liter turbo charged (the turbo part is what I'm not sure if it can handle 91). I definitely don't want to try gasohol in this, I'm pretty sure the seals/rubber will have a problem.