Khon Kaen Zoo trolleybus crash blamed on rusted accelerator

webfact

heat was also a contritibuting factor as friction increase was associated with the rapid taping of drivers foot keeping time to music.. that rusty is a dangerous guy, better have a refresher to his driving school dipoloma issued back in ''82''

application on a regular time frame of oil grease, wd 40, would go a long way in this country in prevenytng death/injury

In the world outside Thailand that is called MAINTENANCE. It is a western concept some say.

Yes, a concept in which nothing in the west ever goes wrong. Some say that's actually a Thaivisa concept.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My armchair advice would be to shut off the engine. It is just a turn of the key. And the steering wheel will not lock, unless you take the key out. But local drivers tend to stare with mouth wide open instead of doing something reasonable.

"My armchair advice would be to shut off the engine. It is just a turn of the key."

...and lose the power steering and power brakes? That would be something else for them to "stare with mouth wide open" at.

I've got a can of WD40 bought here, so it is available..... everything rusts and corrodes, so not like it is a surprise or anything.....

Which is a water dispersant which also removes oil and grease and thus is a major cause of rusting components for those who do not even know what they have bought. The correct way to use the stuff is to follow up its use with oil. Just buy oil in the future, it's cheaper.

Then why the driver didn't turn off the ignition by key?

But it's the same at the temples, there are roundtrips in special tuktuks and the drivers are boys from 12-14. The drove me fast under some low hanging branches and if i didn't see them coming i wouldn't be here.

It ain't strange that in the West we have driverlicenses, i mean real driverslicenses that took like 40-100 hours of lessons to get one.

To me this engine looks fine, i don't see the rust. But was the vehicle inspected every year? If so then who did it? Was he licensed to do that?

I allready refuse to go on Thai boats but i think from now on i will also boycot all Thai public transport except skytrains and metro's.

Why make exceptions for the BTS and Metro, do you know something about the differences in maintenance between those and all other forms of public transport? Or is it because you may look like a dumb cluck if you announce your refusal to use any kind of public transport in Thailand? Do you use taxis or motorbikes. Or planes?

My armchair advice would be to shut off the engine. It is just a turn of the key. And the steering wheel will not lock, unless you take the key out. But local drivers tend to stare with mouth wide open instead of doing something reasonable.

Give that a go yourself before spreading your potentially life threatening advice on the internet. The stearing wheel lock will come on when the key is in the first position, nothing to do with if it is in or out of the barrel.

Khon Kaen Zoo trolleybus crash blamed on rusted accelerator

"There are grounds to believe that the rust caused the accelerator to fail," he said.

Had I written the headline and made that quote it would have been a bit different -

"Khon Kaen Zoo trolleybus crash blamed on the incompetent clown who was supposed to be maintaining the trolleybus"

"There are grounds to believe that had the trolleybus been serviced correctly the accelerator would not have been rusted"

Love the way they blame inanimate objects when there is an accident, like brakes, tires, steering etc.

heat was also a contritibuting factor as friction increase was associated with the rapid taping of drivers foot keeping time to music.. that rusty is a dangerous guy, better have a refresher to his driving school dipoloma issued back in ''82''

application on a regular time frame of oil grease, wd 40, would go a long way in this country in prevenytng death/injury

In the world outside Thailand that is called MAINTENANCE. It is a western concept some say.

Not on, you can't have any western concepts being introduced to Thailand - not allowed or welcomed.

However, looking at the picture supplied, I would doubt that the area being pointed at was the cause.

I saw these when we visited and they are electric but run from batteries not on rails or overhead wires and are basically giant golf carts, like you often see at theme parks around the world. Given the number of dead and injured I wonder about overloading playing a part. The lack of any action against operators (as usual) is of course the big issue here. Thainess on display for all to see.

It seems a shame that news reporters cannot use the correct terminology or simply, words, to describe these vehicles.

Yesterday they were trams which run on steel rails or other fixed guide systems.

Today they are trolley buses which are electric vehicles drawing power from overhead wires.

I am not a mechanical engineer, but my guess is they are just diesel powered open sided buses.

No matter who gets killed, how many or where it happen - Its not possible that its fault of a thai .... Too bad the idiot driver was not burmese huh ...

If he we were, he would already be in custody and charged, confessed to the crime, re-enactment undertaken and waiting on a court appearance and congratulations to those who solved this appalling crime from the top guy. .

Edited by Artisi

So they can spend 36billion baht on a submarine but wont spare 100 baht to get the brakes fixed in a crappy zoo cart.

Discover thainess

For a start you can hardly blame the government for not maintaining a zoo trolleybus, and I don't think the brakes were the issue, it was supposedly the accelerator.

Did you even read the op ?

I saw these when we visited and they are electric but run from batteries not on rails or overhead wires and are basically giant golf carts, like you often see at theme parks around the world. Given the number of dead and injured I wonder about overloading playing a part. The lack of any action against operators (as usual) is of course the big issue here. Thainess on display for all to see.

It seems a shame that news reporters cannot use the correct terminology or simply, words, to describe these vehicles.

Yesterday they were trams which run on steel rails or other fixed guide systems.

Today they are trolley buses which are electric vehicles drawing power from overhead wires.

I am not a mechanical engineer, but my guess is they are just diesel powered open sided buses.

"I saw these when we visited and they are electric but run from batteries..."

As I said in my earlier post I am not an engineer, but if these buses are, as you say, electric powered, can you explain why there is an exhaust system fitted. The third photo with finger pointing is certainly not a battery powered engine.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=khon+kaen+zoo+bus+crash&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=U9qcVaSiGNKHuATgn76AAQ&ved=0CCEQsAQ&biw=1093&bih=482#imgrc=uNRuDh7-NUv8bM%3A

Personally, I still reckon they are converted diesel buses.

post-9891-0-68413100-1436343213_thumb.jppost-9891-0-79506400-1436343214_thumb.jp

post-9891-0-47252900-1436343587_thumb.jp

Even with a stuck accelerator its a simple matter of knocking it into neutral whether auto or manual box (pretty sure it is an auto) and applying the brakes. Unfortunately applying for the job of driving 50 people around obviously doesn't require any proof of skill.

These things are just based on a (usually wrecked) pickup.they make the bodies from scratch and use the pickup mechanicals. All knocked together by a bunch of untrained people in a shed at the lowest price possible. All the mechanicals inside the cab are open to the elements. No one ever gives the idea of any maintenance a passing thought. They will only get worked on once they break down or in this case, get wrecked. I can garantee they will be beaten back into service in a week or two.

These things are just based on a (usually wrecked) pickup.they make the bodies from scratch and use the pickup mechanicals.

Since you appear to be very knowledgeable in this matter, can you tell us which type of pickup provided the mechanicals for this bus? Thanks.

post-9891-0-09300800-1436344336_thumb.jp

Two buses crash in Brighton yesterday after one driver said felt sick, then felt better and went out . No dead, 13 hospital. Front page news. Mega enquiry. Two trolley buses (or trams, or diesel buses) crash in KK, 2 dead. 55 injured, chap comes along and finds a rusty accelerator. Case solved and closed, next accident please. I was very happy to leave the UK nanny state, but there must be a sensible middle ground somewhere.

the cause of the bungee jump death, not the owners, but the rubber band broke

and the zip line, not the operators, it was the damn safety harness that broke

never a thais fault, always a reason not to blame self

When an accelerator pedal sticks - the general best thing to do is to get it fixed a.s.a.p.

When an accelerator pedal sticks, the best thing to do at the moment it's noticed, in as few seconds as possible, is to stick the outside of a foot or shoe between the floor and lower side of the pedal, and jerk it up to closed position. Next best is to quickly lean over and reach down and jerk the pedal up with a hand. Why didn't the driver do any of those things? Was he drunk? Was he wearing flip-flops (perhaps worried about scraping the side of his foot)? Most likely, he didn't think about it.

Another Q. did the brakes work? If so, then even if the driver was too inept to do any of the things mentioned just above, then he slams down on the brakes with all his might, and possible employ the parking brake full force.

and yet another: did the driver have any disputes with management or any other drivers?

All this from a country contemplating buying 3 new high-priced subs which it doesn't need. The mind reels.

the cause of the bungee jump death, not the owners, but the rubber band broke

and the zip line, not the operators, it was the damn safety harness that broke

never a thais fault, always a reason not to blame self

When an accelerator pedal sticks - the general best thing to do is to get it fixed a.s.a.p.

When an accelerator pedal sticks, the best thing to do at the moment it's noticed, in as few seconds as possible, is to stick the outside of a foot or shoe between the floor and lower side of the pedal, and jerk it up to closed position. Next best is to quickly lean over and reach down and jerk the pedal up with a hand. Why didn't the driver do any of those things? Was he drunk? Was he wearing flip-flops (perhaps worried about scraping the side of his foot)? Most likely, he didn't think about it.

Another Q. did the brakes work? If so, then even if the driver was too inept to do any of the things mentioned just above, then he slams down on the brakes with all his might, and possible employ the parking brake full force.

and yet another: did the driver have any disputes with management or any other drivers?

All this from a country contemplating buying 3 new high-priced subs which it doesn't need. The mind reels.

One would think rust could be an issue with submarines.

This driver was more than likely a moron. He did not have the reflexes to use his handbrake, nor put the vehicle in neutral, nor shut off the engine, nor steer the vehicle off the road. Anyone with an IQ of at least 80, could have done any of those things. Hope he spends decades in prison. Though that is unlikely. That would be testament to law and order.

Also, was a blood alcohol test done at the scene of the crime?

But you are referring to a combination of common sense, reason, a maintenance program, and competent people to carry it out.

Hey Prof, the pedal is at the other end.

Hey, Einstein, it's a translation from Thai.

Really? What's Thai for pedal?

I'm sorry, I looked in the pedal file and could only find this.

tèep jàk-grà-yaan

I'm sorry, I looked in the pedal file and could only find this.

tèep jàk-grà-yaan

This one came from thai-language.com

khan m reng F noun gas pedal; accelerator pedal (of an automobile); accelerator handle (of a motorcycle)

Even with a stuck accelerator its a simple matter of knocking it into neutral whether auto or manual box (pretty sure it is an auto) and applying the brakes. Unfortunately applying for the job of driving 50 people around obviously doesn't require any proof of skill.

These things are just based on a (usually wrecked) pickup.they make the bodies from scratch and use the pickup mechanicals. All knocked together by a bunch of untrained people in a shed at the lowest price possible. All the mechanicals inside the cab are open to the elements. No one ever gives the idea of any maintenance a passing thought. They will only get worked on once they break down or in this case, get wrecked. I can garantee they will be beaten back into service in a week or two.

These things are just based on a (usually wrecked) pickup.they make the bodies from scratch and use the pickup mechanicals.

Since you appear to be very knowledgeable in this matter, can you tell us which type of pickup provided the mechanicals for this bus? Thanks.

attachicon.gifzoo bus.jpg

Isuzu KB?

"My armchair advice would be to shut off the engine. It is just a turn of the key."

...and lose the power steering and power brakes? That would be something else for them to "stare with mouth wide open" at.

Not too many problems to drive such a thing, whatever they call it, tram, trolley, cart, go cart, etc..when without steering. Even the brakes still have some power from the air container, behind the main brake cylinder.

And the brakes still work, of course would you have to step on them much harder. Just wondering why so many idiots in the United States of Saharat and other more civilized countries died because of hanging accelerators.

Just plain stupid, or not enough time to think logical? And before you even know what's wrong, and then bummmmmmmmmmmm

Some here seem to sit on a Maserati armchair, but give Kubota advice. facepalm.gif

P.S. Just asking my wife and she said "Ka Leng". But it seems that she's "in the mood" and refers to my artificial knee joint, made of Titanium ( Kaeng Laeng?) and not to my "old, but good lust pedal"....

Asking her, if a motorbike brake pedal would be the same word, didn't help at all. She said "blake." End of the lesson. Google it..

Edited by lostinisaan

I recently went to the "fruit farm" east of Pattaya where you can "eat all you can" for an over inflated fallang price and the method of travelling around was on these Trolley Busses.

Hundreds (no exaggeration) of Chinese tourists were there and were being driven around at break neck speeds around the complex. No commentary is given on anything other than Thai which conists of just telling you the kind of fruit bush or tree you are zooming past at the time. The busses loaded with Chinese fully loaded each time and they just get whisked round as fast as possible and back to their tour bus and sent on to the next attraction/beach/Wat/walking street stroll by.

I suspect it will only be a matter of time before the same thing happens at the fruit farm with the total lack of maintenance which prevails in this country and all other 3rd world places.

Of course the last thing Thais/South East asian will ever do is follow the instructions of any foreigner on any subject, never lose face even if you kill yourself or others.

Utter madness.

Normal for for here.

I recently went to the "fruit farm" east of Pattaya where you can "eat all you can" for an over inflated fallang price and the method of travelling around was on these Trolley Busses.

Hundreds (no exaggeration) of Chinese tourists were there and were being driven around at break neck speeds around the complex. No commentary is given on anything other than Thai which conists of just telling you the kind of fruit bush or tree you are zooming past at the time. The busses loaded with Chinese fully loaded each time and they just get whisked round as fast as possible and back to their tour bus and sent on to the next attraction/beach/Wat/walking street stroll by.

I suspect it will only be a matter of time before the same thing happens at the fruit farm with the total lack of maintenance which prevails in this country and all other 3rd world places.

Of course the last thing Thais/South East asian will ever do is follow the instructions of any foreigner on any subject, never lose face even if you kill yourself or others.

Utter madness.

Normal for for here.

Good to see a pessimistic Nostradamus on board. thumbsup.gif

Most of ThaiVisa warriors (and the police) did not believe the driver, who said the brakes had failed. Perhaps this annoying habit of jumping to conclusions would calm down if preliminary expert reports were publicised as quickly as this one.