Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it ever explained why early on these two, outside of police presence admitted their guilt to their embassy, human rights worker and lawyers from the embassy? I am sure given people's here wild theories their is lots of hypothesis but has their lawyer ever explained why he publicly stated they confessed to him?

You think you will cast doubt by asking this question?

The vast majority of people believe migrants workers (the B2 being part of them) have been threatened and hurt in the process of finding scapegoats, there are reports and pictures of burn skin.

Don't you think they were scared in prison and threatened as well, they retracted when they felt they could as the media was covering it extensively, something happening to them would have been too suspicious and they were then "safer" (a convenient "suicide" was kind of expected at the beginning).

I think you should put yourself in their shoes one minute (but I don't think you would) and imagine yourself trapped for months even if you haven't done anything else than having a few smokes not far from the scene of a totally inhumane crime. I strongly believe these two young guys with no prior problem with the law didn't do it, it took more people ( I should say beasts not people) to savagely murder these two young innocent tourists.

I don't understand how some of you can believe the B2 did it, so strongly so that you have to spend so much time in this forum trying to make it look like the vast majority isn't on the "conspiracy theory" (lol) side...

JTJ, I'm sure you're being intentionally naive if you think no one in Thailand (or many other countries) has ever had a false confession coerced out of him (her). Ample evidence (numerous articles for ex. detailing how in the US some of these people were later released after wrongfully spending years in prison) are easily found online, why don't you do that instead of trying to spin it into an accusation against people on this forum spinning "wild theories?"

Oh, never mind, I know why.

In the interest of the RTP possibly improving their abilities to investigate serious crimes, allow me to make a mention of how trained dogs could assist.

First off, GB pooped on an earlier mention of involving trained dogs, saying something about how it wouldn't have worked in this case because it was on a beach and the tide comes in and out.

Here's an example of how that's not true, and how dogs could have proved effective, even days after the crime:

>>> take a piece of clothing, let's say Hannah's shirt (with the scent of bodily fluids). Put it to dog's nose. Then take the dog, on a leash, to all places of interest. Suggest: Headman house and office, Mon's living quarters, nearby laundry facilities, places where Mon's tough-guy buddies dwell/sleep, Burmeses' dwelling, and so on. Maybe do the same at Nomsod's dwelling in Bkk, and where he does laundry. The idea being: a well-trained dog would seek any other things (clothing, weapons, etc) with Hannah's scent - thereby alerting the dog's handler on what to test for DNA/fingerprints/dandruff, etc. If anything remotely like that had been done within hours/days of the crime, this case would look a lot clearer. Even now, nearly a year later, it could be tried.

There are thousands of stories of dog sniffing miracles: One which stands out: 5 days after a murder at a suburban house, a trained dog was able to show a trail, across a rear lawn and through nearby woods. Discarded clothing was thereby found and tested, and the murderer was caught.

I Love Dogs and I know they have an incredible sense of smell. But in this case I still don' see much use they would be. Tracing Hannah's Footsteps back to Bar we already know she visited can't contribute to much. There wasn't anything taken from Hannah so the dogs didn't have anything to look for. Blood on clothes could easily be washed in the Ocean, and burned later.With Hannah's Scent, I am not sure you can train a dog just to look for her Blood. More likely they will lead you down a Garden Path and to all the places she has been.

They already believed they had the murder weapon on the first day. Also collecting DNA from the Crime Scene and nearby log. Great if they cold smell out who owned those cigarettes, but I am not sure they can. Then that would have been helpful. Maybe with David Millers missing Mobile Phone as well. But again not sure about it and if they could do that.

Still absolutely staggered by this case. How countries of this ilk are allowed to advertise tourism in western countries is beyond me. All adverts in the UK should be banned & the country should be described as dangerous by the UK embasyy. If the worst roads/drivers in the world don't get you, some scumbag with a gimp arm & his henchman will.

The Burmese government believes in the innocence of the Burmese kids.

Just to clarify ... So they Thai government is only concerned with looking good and not tarnishing the image of the country or people but Myanmar, one of the worst human right violators, is only concerned with truth and justice? This is the same country where the military commonly uses rape as a means to control its own people.

All countries have human rights problems. Burma has less tourist murders in a year than KT has in a given week, and Burma is larger than all of Thailand. I'm familiar with a large town in Burma (est. pop. 350k) where the only murder in the past 12 months was a girl (being badly watched by her grandfather). The whole town was angry and sad - looking desperately for the killer. In KT, farang get killed, and locals say, 'sorry. It must be karma' ....and go on with business as usual. And the PM says something like, 'don't be surprised if bad things happen to you, if you're a pretty girl wearing a bikini'. In fairness to locals, they may say, "we know who did it, but we can't speak out and say who." Here's a hint: Write an anonymous letter to authorities with tips leading to clues. Trouble is, there are two main problems with doing that: 1. cops will probably laugh it off. 2. the really bad guys might find who wrote the note (cops would tell 'em), and harm that person. Or that person might be mysteriously found dead in AC guesthouse or hung from the rafters (not off a balcony, as AleG alleges) with his hands tied tightly behind his back, and no furniture nearby.

I guess I sort of felt forced into it as from my early post I asked how long does it take to get a Professional Team from Bangkok, which was never answered.

I venture it would take a desperate young rich man (with or without a pre-paid plane ticket) about 3.5 to 4 hours to get from KT to Bangkok, if using a fast-boat to get to an airport. That's well under the 4.5 hours between the end of the crime and the CCTV at Nomsod's apartment. I would assume the time from Bkk to KT would be around the same, or a bit longer, as 'professional team' members wouldn't be in as frantic of a hurry.

In the interest of the RTP possibly improving their abilities to investigate serious crimes, allow me to make a mention of how trained dogs could assist.

First off, GB pooped on an earlier mention of involving trained dogs, saying something about how it wouldn't have worked in this case because it was on a beach and the tide comes in and out.

Here's an example of how that's not true, and how dogs could have proved effective, even days after the crime:

>>> take a piece of clothing, let's say Hannah's shirt (with the scent of bodily fluids). Put it to dog's nose. Then take the dog, on a leash, to all places of interest. Suggest: Headman house and office, Mon's living quarters, nearby laundry facilities, places where Mon's tough-guy buddies dwell/sleep, Burmeses' dwelling, and so on. Maybe do the same at Nomsod's dwelling in Bkk, and where he does laundry. The idea being: a well-trained dog would seek any other things (clothing, weapons, etc) with Hannah's scent - thereby alerting the dog's handler on what to test for DNA/fingerprints/dandruff, etc. If anything remotely like that had been done within hours/days of the crime, this case would look a lot clearer. Even now, nearly a year later, it could be tried.

There are thousands of stories of dog sniffing miracles: One which stands out: 5 days after a murder at a suburban house, a trained dog was able to show a trail, across a rear lawn and through nearby woods. Discarded clothing was thereby found and tested, and the murderer was caught.

I Love Dogs and I know they have an incredible sense of smell. But in this case I still don' see much use they would be. Tracing Hannah's Footsteps back to Bar we already know she visited can't contribute to much. There wasn't anything taken from Hannah so the dogs didn't have anything to look for. Blood on clothes could easily be washed in the Ocean, and burned later.With Hannah's Scent, I am not sure you can train a dog just to look for her Blood. More likely they will lead you down a Garden Path and to all the places she has been.

They already believed they had the murder weapon on the first day. Also collecting DNA from the Crime Scene and nearby log. Great if they cold smell out who owned those cigarettes, but I am not sure they can. Then that would have been helpful. Maybe with David Millers missing Mobile Phone as well. But again not sure about it and if they could do that.

post-222614-0-87118000-1437531571_thumb.

Was it ever explained why early on these two, outside of police presence admitted their guilt to their embassy, human rights worker and lawyers from the embassy? I am sure given people's here wild theories their is lots of hypothesis but has their lawyer ever explained why he publicly stated they confessed to him?

If the RTP had ever bothered to turn up to face the the Human Rights lawyer to answer the questions and investigate the allegations of torture then perhaps we would have had a clearer picture of this. This same lawyer also saw the wound marks on them from the alleged torture.

Hey 4 cancelled meetings later and the beloved RTP still failed to show and now we're at trial! What do you have to say on there failure to show?

Odd to me that the Doctor who examined them on the day after they were arrested and they confessed to these crimes, he did not report such injuries. I mean a Doctor who's sole purpose was to go there and exam them with a Trained Eye. Although it was reported by the media that both of the accused confessed to him to.

But then suddenly, 7 days later, or was it 10 days later, when the Lawyers show up, one the accused lawyers sees these injuries, or as you said. I mean one of the very few who cannot be put on the stand to testify against the accused. What a coincidence!

We have been through this already before in this thread, torture doesn't necessarily leaves traces on the body, only bad torturers do...

I recall some ex marines in this thread said there are many ways to make you confessed you are your sister's father without leaving a trace (just an absurd example).

We already said they were probably scared in prison at the beginning, they have probably been threatened (as have the 18 translators in Samui...) and only when they felt more secure they said they were forced to confess (in a "safe house" by the way, not at the police station with lawyers or recording, suspicious and unfair isn't it?).

The RTP have never answered the calls for clarifications about the confession and the multiple reports of tortures and threats.

Your strategy has always been to focus your answers on a few single unclear topics and avoiding to answer the one too difficult to spin.

As for the new attempt to discredit the defense in the last few pages (they are paid, the one that said they confessed has been "fired", evil Myanmar is financing the defense...), it is really telling.

Every one should have a good defense, including these two, and thumbs up to the lawyers and Andy who work on the case, it sure would be easier to avoid the case like the plague, and those saying they are doing it for financial reasons should think twice.

I did't intervene so much until now, but I read from time to time and it is sad (or rather unsettling) to see the general atmosphere of this thread, a lot of people sceptical of this case writing from time to time and a few others convinced the B2 are guilty (or even more convinced others are innocent) spending a lot of time trying to spin everything all the time.

GB, I am maybe mistaken, but I think you are French, like me, I don't get why you spend so much time on this thread writing very long posts, can you explain what are you motivations ? Just curious, I just want to understand...

TO : GOLDBUGGY

I too, think you are French, even though you write good English (too much, IMHO). You make the occasional mistake eg 'trail' not 'trial', but the biggest clue is in your spelling of the English word 'dolphin', which in post #3379 is written as 'dauphin'.

I see you refused to say whether you have visited or reside in Thailand. FYI, even the staunch RTP acolyte Jdnisia alluded to the fact that he has 'connections' in KT. So, what is your 'real' interest in the defence of the RTP and the folks on KT? I realise you are not on trial here, but even an attemp at 'the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth' would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by joebrown

From the Time article:

"On tiny Koh Tao alone, there are some 2,000 expats alongside the 2,500 registered Thais, according to Mayor Chaiyan Turasakul. Most are running guesthouses, eateries and scuba-diving operations or working as diving instructors. However, according to Rhys Bonney, an immigration adviser to expats in Thailand, even the legality of scuba-diving instructors is an “extremely gray area” as Thai work permits are specific to particular company premises. “There’s no work permit that allows you to work in 15 different locations [under the sea],” he says. “Legally, it would seem quite easy to shut these dive shops down.”

Insecure residency tends to breed compliance. “Once you’ve been living there for a while, you’ll turn a blind eye to some pretty sketchy stuff,” says Mike Earley, 30, from New Zealand, who spent six months on the island working as a DJ. Complaining about wrongdoing may invite official questions and demands for passports and documentation. Expats “don’t want to lose their time in paradise,” Earley says, “as it’s cheap, it’s nice living, and it’s very easy to ignore what happens.”"

This accords exactly with what I found on Koh Tao and reported on a couple of months ago: expats who certainly know something clam up when asked. Similar to the present situation with the translators.

If this were a straight-up investigation with no funny business and no "mafia-like" people involved intimidating others, then there'd simply be no such problems, no such self-censoring. That's obvious.

Still absolutely staggered by this case. How countries of this ilk are allowed to advertise tourism in western countries is beyond me. All adverts in the UK should be banned & the country should be described as dangerous by the UK embasyy. If the worst roads/drivers in the world don't get you, some scumbag with a gimp arm & his henchman will.

That's ridiculous. Thailand is as dangerous as any other developing country and the Foreign Office website has plenty of warnings for travellers. This is a distressing case but so is any rape/murder, irrespective of where it happens and if people expect western style justice in developing countries they are going to be disappointed.

A much earlier claim was made, to get all the ducks lined up, was that Hannah shared some cigarettes with the Burmese. This enabled her DNA to be "discovered" on a cigarette butt. Her family and friends claim she had never in her life smoked cigarettes ! Now the big question is: where are all those interpreters who have fled the court??

How come the certain posters are still posting huge long-winded posts related to details of the crime scene, which they keep screaming is speculation or fact or proven or disproven, yet on the very simple topic of why all the translators have been scared off and no-one is willing to work the case they remain deafeningly silent?

GB, do you maybe have a few paragraphs to spare on this point? Or maybe this is the machinations of the evil Andy Hall at work, twisting the facts and tweeting the lies?

I already answered that in a short sentence which you did not take the time to read back a little before posting. I said the Trial hasn't started yet, so lets wait and see.

Odd that none of these Foreign Newspaper People don't have anyone in their own countries that are citizens of that country, that speaks Thai and could have joined them as part of there team. I met one in Germany who was German but also Thai, and I wasn't even looking for one. But these guys had 2 weeks since when the trial started, and knew they needed one. But on the last day they start looking?

To me that is simply very poor planning on there part. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to get involved in this for a few days pay.

Well, the Headman's people would have loved it if you were in charge of trained dogs investigating the scene. You would have just taken the dogs to a pet store and bought 'em dog toys - while getting cute smiles from girls walking by.

Still silence on the apparent intimidation of translators. More paragraphs of off the wall nonsense about dogs. <deleted> is the point of prolonging this about dogs,

THERE WERE NO DOGS, stop debating it!

sorry to go on about dogs, but it's yet another of the dozens of ways RTP didn't do a remotely professional job of investigating.

Still silence on the apparent intimidation of translators. More paragraphs of off the wall nonsense about dogs. <deleted> is the point of prolonging this about dogs,

This is interesting news about the translators and it brings up a few questions. It would seem that the translators have been intimidated, why? Is this ploy to try and limit the amount of information leaving the courts? As we have seen court reporters have not been allowed to take notes, there is no transcript of what occurs in the courtroom apart from the judges summations wich I'm not sure are public record. This mafioso way of dealing with things is sure to backfire, the press will have another field day showing the world what a backwards double dealing culture Thailand has, as I'm sure no one in a position of power will question why this is occurring . But at the end of the day do they really care? After all it's just a couple of foreigners and there are plenty more where they came from.

A much earlier claim was made, to get all the ducks lined up, was that Hannah shared some cigarettes with the Burmese. This enabled her DNA to be "discovered" on a cigarette butt. Her family and friends claim she had never in her life smoked cigarettes ! Now the big question is: where are all those interpreters who have fled the court??

Hannah smoking a cigarette with Burmese Men is crap my friend that you brought here for some social media gossip blog. That is how this whole place as turned into. Gossip taken as Facts and the Truth. I guess time for me to bow out for awhile.

This is interesting news about the translators and it brings up a few questions. It would seem that the translators have been intimidated, why? Is this ploy to try and limit the amount of information leaving the courts? As we have seen court reporters have not been allowed to take notes, there is no transcript of what occurs in the courtroom apart from the judges summations wich I'm not sure are public record. This mafioso way of dealing with things is sure to backfire, the press will have another field day showing the world what a backwards double dealing culture Thailand has, as I'm sure no one in a position of power will question why this is occurring . But at the end of the day do they really care? After all it's just a couple of foreigners and there are plenty more where they came from.

Actually uncle GB has just answered it: Apparently it just shows the poor planning of the Defence team that they just started to look for translators now instead of last week.

GB, don't you think they maybe have been looking for translators, and the reason he has just tweeted.......ah, never mind.

ps : we all know that numerous alias are raging here sad.png

You think this might be a good example of projecting how ones sees themselves onto others?

silverado

Member Since Today, 10:05

5 Posts all on this thread

And now then JTJ, what exactly has the number of posts made by any particular poster have to do with solving this case ? Do you not believe that all posters were created equal?

Some just seem to be reincarnated.

and LMAO regarding your believing this thread is about solving the case.

That's ridiculous. Thailand is as dangerous as any other developing country and the Foreign Office website has plenty of warnings for travellers. This is a distressing case but so is any rape/murder, irrespective of where it happens and if people expect western style justice in developing countries they are going to be disappointed.

I think you missed the point entirely Brewster. The difference in parts of Thailand is that the perpertrators of crime are usually immune from prosecution. You are correct to say murder and rape occurs in many countries . Thailand is unique in my experience in that the police, the courts and the military see their role as being to protect the rich and famous. Stand beside a stop light in Thailand and you will see that there is a huge difference in the laws here and elsewhere. On reflection, I believe the UK government should advise its citizens accordingly.

How come the certain posters are still posting huge long-winded posts related to details of the crime scene, which they keep screaming is speculation or fact or proven or disproven, yet on the very simple topic of why all the translators have been scared off and no-one is willing to work the case they remain deafeningly silent?

Where is the link to this BS speculation news story of translators being scared?

GB, do you maybe have a few paragraphs to spare on this point? Or maybe this is the machinations of the evil Andy Hall at work, twisting the facts and tweeting the lies?

I already answered that in a short sentence which you did not take the time to read back a little before posting. I said the Trial hasn't started yet, so lets wait and see.

Odd that none of these Foreign Newspaper People don't have anyone in their own countries that are citizens of that country, that speaks Thai and could have joined them as part of there team. I met one in Germany who was German but also Thai, and I wasn't even looking for one. But these guys had 2 weeks since when the trial started, and knew they needed one. But on the last day they start looking?

To me that is simply very poor planning on there part. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to get involved in this for a few days pay.

Sure. It is perfectly logical that translators be sent from London to Koh Tao to assist their journalists there. No one could reasonably expect that Thai-English translators could be found in Thailand. Gross incompetence.

Hannah smoking a cigarette with Burmese Men is crap my friend that you brought here for some social media gossip blog. That is how this whole place as turned into. Gossip taken as Facts and the Truth. I guess time for me to bow out for awhile.

Are you sure thats crap? I thought you believed everything the RTP said in this case, why not check earlier reports and see who first brought forward this theory? You'll discover it was the RTP. On second thoughts then yes I agree it must be crap

Edited by HUH

No surprises there then

"We still have not seen any progress on the request to see the DNA gathered by police," Nakhon said.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/07/22/uk-thailand-britain-murder-idUKKCN0PW03320150722

So GOLDBUGGY and JTJ, anything to comment about this ?

Don't you think the accused have a right to see and review the evidence that is going to put them to death

On this single thing alone in any civilised country - there would be no case to answer and would be laughed out of court.

"The DNA was a match (or isn't) because we say so", ruling certain people out of an investigation is not quite as simple as convicting "who ever you fancy" in a court - or at least it shouldn't be, because anywhere else the police are actually making an attempt to solve the crime and convict the correct people - not exclude them

Where is the link to this BS speculation news story of translators being scared?

I didn't say news story nimrod, read it properly, then back pedal up through the thread to find where I picked this up.

ps : we all know that numerous alias are raging here sad.png

You think this might be a good example of projecting how ones sees themselves onto others?

silverado

Member Since Today, 10:05

5 Posts all on this thread

And now then JTJ, what exactly has the number of posts made by any particular poster have to do with solving this case ? Do you not believe that all posters were created equal?

Some just seem to be reincarnated.

and LMAO regarding your believing this thread is about solving the case.

I think a lot of us would like to know JTJ why you do not wish this case to be solved??

I didn't say news story nimrod, read it properly, then back pedal up through the thread to find where I picked this up.

Its like talking to a brick. Dont waste your time

If it it speculation why has the british ambassador been informed.

Here are some tweets from Jerome Taylor (Jerome Taylor. Bangkok based SE Asia correspondent for AFP covering Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam):

https://twitter.com/hashtag/kohtao

You will probably remember translators being scared off during the earlier phase of the trial, or do you need a link as a reminder?

The Witheridge family said police and the court should be allowed to do their jobs during the coming months.

"Speculation, rumor and theory have been incredibly hurtful to our family and Hannah's friends, making an already unthinkable time harder to bear," said the family.

Sure. It is perfectly logical that translators be sent from London to Koh Tao to assist their journalists there. No one could reasonably expect that Thai-English translators could be found in Thailand. Gross incompetence.

I usually just gloss over your posts gold buggy because I find them jaded and lacking reason. However this post just takes the biscuit. "no one could reasonably expect that Thai English translators could be found in Thailand" Are you stupid? Have you ever been to Thailand?