Renewing 1Yr Driving License to get 5 Yr - Residence CErtificate @ Immigration

bharat9

My 1 Year Thai license expires on 27 August 2015 and am going back to UK on 14 July. In order to get 5 Year license I will have to be back before expiry but on my return I may stay only a month or two (normally I stay 5 to 6 months at a time ( averaging 8/9 months in a Year) so will Immigration give me Residence Certicfate on 1 month condo agreement. I usally come to Thailand by getting 1 Year multiple entry Retirement visa from Thai Embassy in U.K. and doing so for past 3 years so when I come in August I will have new 1 Year multi entry Retirement Visa in my new passport (current passport has no pages left). Also if I get 5 Year License will it be New Style License valid in ASEAN countries or only in Thailand ? Will it have my residence Address in Thailand on back of License ?

Not sure if Chonburi/Pattaya immigration are still issuing residence confirmation letters or not, many immigration offices are not, Rayong for sure is not, if they are not it means a trip to your embassy and an expense!sad.png

I would wait untill you come back, you can renew the license up to 1 year after expiry and then you get 5 + years to your birthday

Just go to the immigration and present any proof of adress (electric bill/cable tv/internet) and they will issue a certificate of residence. Yes the new license is valid in ASEAN and the Thai adress is mentioned at the back......

In order to get 5 Year license I will have to be back before expiry

No, as MrJ writes, you have one year after expiry to get the 5 year license.

You come with a Non-O visa which is on the safe side and I also expect no big problem to get a res.cert.

You should be able to get the Residence Cert at immigration in Jomtien with no problem.

The license will be the new type and you don't need to bring photos. License info in both Thai and English on the front and your address in Thai on the back.

I think the OP questions including the one about the Residence Cert have now been answered, so in order to keep all the Driving Licence stuff in one place please post any further questions on the pinned topic at the top of the page HERE Thank you.

//CLOSED//